Rome II Total War Intro Forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 9th Faction reveal
posted 26 April 2013 08:26 EDT (US)   
Courtesy of the latest Rally Point:

The 9th Playable faction is Pontus, via day-1 free DLC. Awesome news. Enjoyed them in Rome 1.

“Ambition, Independence, Profit”

A mountainous region bordering the Black Sea, Pontus contains many fertile river valleys and ports upon which it’s largely agricultural and trade economy is based. This geography and location also dictate a military focus on infantry and warships. However, a mixture of Greek and Persian influences ensures the forces of Pontus are both advanced and reliable. Their bronze-shield pikemen represent a formidable military backbone, and their swift, deadly scythed chariots are rightly feared.

Its prized commodities, and the opportunism of its well-informed rulers, have enabled Pontus to remain one of the strongest Hellenistic states in existence. With connections throughout the ancient world, largely due to control of Black Sea trade and exports of timber, precious metals and valuable steel, Pontic agents are perfectly placed to gather information on their enemies abroad.

Originally of Persian origin and part of the former satrapy of Cappadocia, Pontus became a client state under Antigonus in 333 BC, after Alexander swept Darius' empire away. Essentially, Pontus is now a collection of Greek colonies, ruled by a re-emergent Persian dynasty. In 302 BC, under Mithridates Ktistes (‘The Founder’), it split from the Macedonian empire during the turmoil of the Wars of the Successors. Having successfully repulsed an invasion by Ptolemy of Egypt, Pontus is now poised to expand across Asia Minor, on into mainland Greece and beyond.

A progressive kingdom, Pontus enjoys healthy diplomatic dialogue with Greek states and successor kingdoms, and is noted for its resolution in battle, particularly against barbarian forces. However, the forsaking of its Persian origins means that eastern cultural influences within its provinces yield diminished public order benefits.

I guess it proves the Seleucids are destined to be pre-order exclusive or further down the line DLC.

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
Replies:
posted 26 April 2013 10:02 EDT (US)     1 / 8  
Fantastic news and the fact that it's free, along with an implication that future faction DLC may also be free, is wonderful icing on the cake.

Can't say that I'm not feeling a little bit disappointed though, especially since AE and I chatted about the matter for a fair while last night/morning and we were hoping for either a Spanish faction or the Seleucids. Still, it's an incredible surprise and Pontus now stands as the faction I will choose for my third campaign

"Life is more fun when you are insane. Just let go occasionally".- yakcamkir 12:14
"It is not numbers, but vision that wins wars." - Antiochus VII Sidetes
"My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel Grayhair
Angel of Total War: Rome II Heaven and the Total War: Attila Forums
posted 26 April 2013 17:25 EDT (US)     2 / 8  
Sounds like they'll be rather wealthy from trade. And the public order penalty for eastern influence is interesting indeed - do you expand in that direction and spend more time in conquered provinces and possibly fighting rebellions, or do you proceed West and not have to deal with any of that.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 26 April 2013 19:52 EDT (US)     3 / 8  
Looks nice and shiny, like all the other factions released. It is my hope that a large number of factions will be made playable By CA eventually. The diversity at this time was large, so each different faction would bring something new to the campaign. I cannot wait however for a Spanish faction to be announced/ released- They were always on of the most fun campaigns.

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
posted 27 April 2013 07:41 EDT (US)     4 / 8  
I think a Spanish tribe at some point is going to be likely. There is a large hole there in terms of playable factions.

I get the impression this will be the last free faction DLC however, the additional space for more factions on the wiki is gone, and CA said the only reason Pontus is a free-LC is because they wanted to include it in the release but needed to close off adding any new content in order to continue developing on schedule - it's just that Steam allows them to add this faction on day 1.

Remember though there will certainly be pre-order factions.

A f t y

A A R S

posted 29 April 2013 12:00 EDT (US)     5 / 8  
Ugh, I really don't like the sound of pre-order factions.
posted 30 April 2013 06:22 EDT (US)     6 / 8  
I don't think anyone really does, to be honest, but on the bright side they'll put more effort into them as people now have to pay rather than just be "kinda like an already playable faction but with an extra unit", like the spanish effectively were before.

And I shall go Softly into the Night Taking my Dreams As will You
posted 30 April 2013 13:58 EDT (US)     7 / 8  
Hey now, the Spanish had a whopping 2 unique units

I am the Carthaginian who became an angel, and surrendered his wings for a life on the sea of battle.

My magic screen is constantly bombarded with nubile young things eager to please these old eyes. This truly is a wonderful period in which to exist! - Terikel the Deflowerer
posted 01 May 2013 04:44 EDT (US)     8 / 8  
I think this reveal alone has earnt my loyalty, nevermind all the other awesome stuff Rome2 seems to be offering.

PROCRASTINATE NOT · JAMAIS ARRIERE
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome II Total War Intro Forum » 9th Faction reveal
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames