You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Cursed Cruise ships
posted 13 November 2007 09:39 EDT (US)   
Greetings, warlords and Tinkerers of the World!

We have noticed that our warships spend many winters making their journeys, as if the crews wade ashore in the evening hours, feast and drink beer all night, wake at noon the following day, then proceed to wade back to their boats and continue on from about midafternoon to evening before repeating the process. This makes a journey which could be sailed in weeks take many moons instead, or sometimes entire cycles fo the sun.

Is there any way to tinker with our virtual world, dearest friends, which can place an overseer or stern captain aboard said vessels so that they travel quickly to their destination, instead of dawdling upon every sandy beach they encounter? We think it more apt should the vessels be able to travel thrice their current speed, as that would make our world a tad more realistic.

Is there any fine Tinker out there who can send us word (and remember to use small words as our own tinkering abilities are as limited as a fool who lies too deep within his cups)? as to how to improve the speed of these sea-going festivals and return them to the warships they should indeed portray?

We thank thee for whatever aid we receive.

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
Replies:
posted 15 November 2007 17:37 EDT (US)     1 / 6  
You need to find the "descr_character.txt" file in your data folder and change the figure in the "starting_action_points" line. If you have a version of RTW earlier than 1.5, I understand that the limit is 100. Not sure what the limit is for 1.5 or 1.6.

The bad news is that while M2TW allows you to edit movement points for different types of characters (admirals, captains, generals, etc), RTW only seems to have a general movement point allowance that will speed up all characters and not just ships.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there is a way to speed up ships only

Edit: increasing traits of your admirals can do it. Go to the "export_descr_character_traits" file. Scroll down to the "Trait Sailor" line. It's a long way down. Use the find text option.

Add the following line:
Effect MovementPoints 3

underneath all instances of this line:
Effect NavalCommand x

Be devious and add it underneath the "Trait Landlubber" lines too
The value of "Effect MovementPoints" can be changed to suit yourself.

-Love Gaius
TWH Seraph, TWH Grand Zinquisitor & Crazy Gaius the Banstick Kid

Got news regarding Total War games that should be publicised? Then email m2twnews@heavengames.com. My blog.
Nelson was the typical Englishman: hot-headed, impetuous, unreliable, passionate, emotional & boisterous. Wellington was the typical Irishman: cold, reserved, calculating, unsentimental & ruthless" - George Bernard Shaw
Vote for McCain...he's not dead just yet! - HP Lovesauce

[This message has been edited by Gaius Colinius (edited 11-15-2007 @ 05:51 PM).]

posted 16 November 2007 00:57 EDT (US)     2 / 6  
There is also a little trick that Severous discovered a few months ago. I will try to explain it as best I can.

What you want to do is set up a string of ships from where you want to start from to your destination. Keep them just under a full move apart. Load your troops on the first ship, then sail it to join the next ship in the chain. You want the first ship to have about a single move left at that point. Then move that first ship away.

The army will now be on the second ship, as ship-borne troops always remain on the last ship in a stack that move. If you select the ship on the strat map you will probably see it has no moves at this point. However, if you go click on the ship's unit card, you will see it suddenly gains all its movement points. Now move it to the next ship in the chain and repeat the entire process.

You can do this for any distance in a single turn. From Londinium to Alexandria if you have enough ships. The only thing that throws a spanner in the works is when your ships do not want to merge because the admirals are have their egos in an uproar. All you can do then is move the army manually to the second ship, then select its card and move it. Usually you can only do this once, as when you try a second time the army no longer has the moves to transfer ships manually.
posted 20 November 2007 04:22 EDT (US)     3 / 6  
Many thanks, gracious warlords.

We shall attempt this tinkering shortly. We sincerely hope it works!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||

[This message has been edited by Terikel706 (edited 11-29-2007 @ 05:58 AM).]

posted 30 November 2007 01:19 EDT (US)     4 / 6  
We have examined this descr_character scroll in scrutinous detail. The StartActionValue is a single line at the head of the scroll, with no separate action values for the various personages listed under.

Since we fail to increase the movement allowance for seaborne vessels, is it then possible to decrease the cost of moving over sea tiles?
posted 02 December 2007 11:37 EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Well, it's very similar to the solution Gaius Colinius found for you, but there is a tutorial at the Total War Center, which can be found here.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
posted 04 December 2007 15:24 EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Lord Mythic Commodore, hail and many thanks for thy missive. We have followed the path noted in thy missive and applied the knowledge therein to our virtual world. We are proud to announce that it has indeed given our admirals the whips they needed to make the curs pulling the oars work a full day's shift, thus extending their range to something more appropriate to a vessel of war than a tourist boat.

Thank thee profusely!

And if thou does have yet another moment, please peer into the reply of my other missie requesting aid- for my valiant Vikings that the Nobe and Wise Lady SubRosa has aided us in recruiting seem to appear and be recruited in the normal manner, but upon the field of battle the gremlins and demons inhabiting our Metal Box seem to dislike these warriors to the point of causing the entire world to disappear and cast me from that wonderful era back to sitting in front of the Glass Curtain.

Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Cursed Cruise ships
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames