You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to Count The Number of Regions In A Mod
posted 05 September 2008 22:50 EDT (US)   
I just figured out a very simple way to count the exact number of regions in a mod. Go to its Data\World\Maps\Base folder and open Map_Regions.tga with a graphic editor. Count the colours used (how will vary according to application), and subtract 6. The end result is the number of regions in the map.
Replies:
posted 06 September 2008 01:06 EDT (US)     1 / 5  
huh, clever .
posted 06 September 2008 01:09 EDT (US)     2 / 5  
We have an Einstien, how did you figure that out.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
posted 06 September 2008 13:57 EDT (US)     3 / 5  
It was deceptively simple. Every territory has to be a unique color. There are a few other things in the map that also have unique colors but are not territories, such as cities and ports, so those will add to the color total. Also you also have to remember that The Sea is a territory, but not a normal one you can own, so it is in those extra unique colors too.

Vanilla RTW has 103 territories. So I just opened the vanilla Map_Regions.tga file and counted the colors. It comes out to 109. So it was just a matter of subtracting 103 from 109 to get the number of non-territory colors in the file.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 09-06-2008 @ 05:00 PM).]

posted 06 September 2008 14:16 EDT (US)     4 / 5  
Alternately, open descr_regions, copy into a word processor, then do a search and highlight on "slaves", that should reveal the exact number of regions as well. I've used a similar method for counting buildings in EDB. Search for "plugins" or "levels" to count the trees, and "upgrades" for the number of building levels.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 06 September 2008 14:42 EDT (US)     5 / 5  
Another alternative for Medieval II: Total War users is to open up the descr_regions.txt, delete all extraneous text, then do a line count and divide the number of lines by 9.

Cyclohexane - it's what's for dinner!
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » How to Count The Number of Regions In A Mod
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames