You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Rome: Total War Discussion
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair, General Sajaru, Awesome Eagle

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: thoughts on Rome Total War 2?
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 31 July 2008 02:19 EDT (US)   
think they will do a rome 2? what kind of things should they add if its ever made?
Replies:
posted 05 August 2008 23:48 EDT (US)     26 / 39  
yeah, for missiles, flames, and unit coherency (ever tried shouting orders into a gail? :P)

but that's a level of realism nobody is looking forward to dealing with :P.

does empire not have oars pr boarding, btw? That's a major omission to not include them at all, and if the system is there for them to work, then the system can be easily expanded upon for a sequel.
posted 06 August 2008 02:23 EDT (US)     27 / 39  
I don't think I'd like to go back too far from Rome. Ideally for me would be a hugely expanded Shogun: TW perhaps. I don't think they'd go in too much for the World Wars, as they'd be harder to make work for the TW style of game.
posted 06 August 2008 04:51 EDT (US)     28 / 39  
Wow, I'm surprised about the scale of some of these battles, 60000 men? That's crazy. Trafalgar was 27 vs 32 ships I think, and not all of those ships were behemoths with 200 men.

If Rome 2 is made, maybe put in the Punic Wars (I think that's the ones with Carthage), as they were largely based around the mediterranean, and the control of sea trade on it.

Also, ships in Empire won't have oars, but it might be possible to get longboats out in front to tow it along.

I was disappointed to see the city of Troy left out of Rome. Put it in a Rome2

[This message has been edited by Conqueror Matt (edited 08-06-2008 @ 04:54 AM).]

posted 06 August 2008 07:13 EDT (US)     29 / 39  
If there was a Rome2 then I would like it to be about the rise of the persian empire. It would give you a change of senery and you would need to find better ways of making money.
posted 06 August 2008 07:23 EDT (US)     30 / 39  
if it was about persia it would be named P:TW... it's no longer rome then.

Yep, it's true, having no sig is boring. But so is this one. Which makes my point... relatively pointless.
Can a point be a point when it is pointless?
posted 07 August 2008 05:55 EDT (US)     31 / 39  
And also, Persians were defeated in Greece, following the battle of Thermopalea(sp?). 300 that is. They never got near Rome.
posted 07 August 2008 09:33 EDT (US)     32 / 39  
Speaking of weather on the previous page, RTW already has some strange natural disasters. My army once got decimated by flash floods in the middle of the desert. Hmm......thought deserts only see rain once every 30 years?

[This message has been edited by AKhoplites (edited 08-07-2008 @ 09:35 AM).]

posted 07 August 2008 11:49 EDT (US)     33 / 39  
I think they should definitely do an ancient Mesopotamia/Near East one next. Assyrians, Sumerians, Babylonians- I've always wanted a game with those guys...

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
posted 07 August 2008 18:35 EDT (US)     34 / 39  
One thing that no one brought up that I thought was the biggest hole in RTW is the AI. They should have one universal AI per faction. That way diplomacy is a serious thing, you make allies and they stand by you. If you betray an ally, no one will trust you again. The fact that the campaign map was more broken than the Earth's crust made RTW's campaign diplomacy a game of who can screw eachother over the most instead of making allies and large war efforts. How cool would it be if you (the Romans), the Iberians (spanish), and Germania made a treaty to defeat the Gauls? Then once the Gauls are gone there would be mass competition to take the other factions out in a Cold War-like fashion.
Speaking of weather on the previous page, RTW already has some strange natural disasters. My army once got decimated by flash floods in the middle of the desert. Hmm......thought deserts only see rain once every 30 years?
The gods must really hate you then! :P
posted 07 August 2008 18:42 EDT (US)     35 / 39  
thought deserts only see rain once every 30 years?
But that rain usually causes flash floods because the desert doesn't absorb water well (especially if it's rocky)...so you must just have got an unlucky year...

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his-George Patton
You can get a lot more with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone-Al Capone
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo-H.G. Wells
Catch a man a fish, and you can sell it to him. Teach a man to fish, and you ruin a wonderful business opportunity-Karl Marx
posted 07 August 2008 19:49 EDT (US)     36 / 39  
posted 08 August 2008 12:56 EDT (US)     37 / 39  
There are also storms in the RTW game that can dash your ships to pieces....But, I've never had the luxury of a storm at sea for my ships....
posted 08 August 2008 15:17 EDT (US)     38 / 39  
Storms were very annoying in MTW - A storm at sea could ruin your entire day. I think that's why they were toned down for RTW. While obviously the sea weather would need to be bumped up for games where naval combat is more key, I don't want a return of the MTW storms.

Flash floods are equally annoying. In Alexander, I had a full elite army of mostly Companions, Phalangites and Alex himself marching towards Babylon. Then what? A flash flood wipes out about a quarter of them.

I also had a flash flood which covered all of Latium (Was amusing seeing my armies paddle around Rome), which decimated my nice new armies of Urbans, 1st Cohorts and Praetorian Cav.

I completely agree with OlympianAnubite on the diplomacy, and with the points expressed by Terikel and Krymzon in Danilh's link. It looks like the AI will be getting quite a boost with ETW anyway, so fingers crossed we won't need to worry about it.

[This message has been edited by Andalus (edited 08-08-2008 @ 03:23 PM).]

posted 08 August 2008 15:59 EDT (US)     39 / 39  
I'm glad they toned down storms in RTW, the pirates are enough to keep you busy!
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Rome: Total War Discussion » thoughts on Rome Total War 2?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames