Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum
Moderated by Terikel Grayhair

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Gorgon AAR (ATW)
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7  Next Page »
posted 18 December 2008 21:57 EDT (US)   

I am taking a break from mod work for a while, and thought I would spend some time enjoying what I have worked on so hard for the past year and a half. I can think of no better way than by playing my newest faction. The Gorgons.
Thousands of years ago the Amazon tribe of the Tritoni lived upon the sacred island of Hesperides, which lays off the Libyan coast. However, an earthquake destroyed their city and forced them to flee to the mainland. There they encountered another Amazon tribe known as the Gorgons. The two initially clashed, but soon they put aside their differences and united with a third Amazon tribe called the Pallantids, forming a single nation. Even their religions integrated, with their new pantheon of deities including Medusa of the Gorgons, Sipylene of the Tritoni, and Athena of the Pallantids. They settled upon the shores of Lake Tritonis and built the great city of Triton to be their capital.

Under the rulership of the legendary Queen Myrine the Great, the Gorgons expanded eastward along the coast of Africa, up through Phoenicia, and finally conquered Asia Minor. However, far too over-extended to hold this vast tract of land, they were forced to gradually withdraw from most of their new-won territory after the death of Myrine. Only on the Thermodon plain in northern Asia Minor did they retain the colony of Themiskyra, ringed by fortresses to protect it from the encroachments of the nearby Greeks.

It was those Greeks who spelled the doom of the Libyan Amazons. Brought into direct contact by the conquests of Myrine, the Greeks and Amazons were natural enemies. They competed for trade, political influence, and most especially were from totally antithetical cultures. The Greeks supported rebellions in the areas conquered by the Amazons, and after they withdrew enlisted their populations in anti-Amazon alliances.

For centuries the conflict went on, until finally the Gorgons were driven back to their city of Triton. There an allied-Greek army led by the Athenians laid siege. Unable to storm the impregnable walls of the great city, the Greeks settled into a blockade to starve out the Amazons. After long months the end of Triton came suddenly. The exact cause of her demise remains shrouded in mystery to this day. Some say that a priestess of Athena murdered the Amazon Queen and let the Greeks into the city. A theory lent support by the fact that afterward the Athenians brought the worship of Athena back to their city (and indeed renamed it to Athens after her). In any case, the Greeks entered the city and in an orgy of blood lasting for three days they slew every living thing. Not even the livestock were spared.

Yet some of the Amazons managed to escape across Lake Tritonis with their men and children. This rag-tag band took advantage of the Greek preoccupation with the slaughter of Triton and fled south into the desert, hoping that even the blood-mad Greeks would not dare to pursue them into the trackless wastes. Many died in the terrible exodus. Dark rumours still circulate that in order to survive, the living were forced to drink the blood of the dead and eat of their flesh.

In time the remnants of the once proud Libyan Amazons came to a place of refuge in a mountain range far from their former home. Here they found shelter from the sun in the caves, and hidden sources of water deep within the earth. They learned to adapt to their desert surroundings and bided their time, knowing that one day vengeance would be theirs.

That was over a thousand years ago. Now even the Greeks barely remember the details of their destruction of Triton and the mighty Amazon nation there, and even that only as fragments of myth and legend. But the Gorgons have not forgotten. They have spent the years sharpening their arrows and axes, and forging their very bodies into weapons of retribution. When a star fell to earth north of their mountains they knew their time had come. It was Medusa pointing the way back to their ancient home, and their ancient enemy.

So the Gorgons stirred themselves and made the long trek back across the unforgiving desert. They now stand poised at the edge of the wastes, with the fertile Tritonian plain beyond. They have come to reclaim their ancestral home, and to end the world of men...
This will be the usual settings:
Very Hard/Very Hard
Huge unit scale
Morale, fatigue, and limited ammo on
I will manage all settlements

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 12-20-2008 @ 10:34 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06 February 2009 18:46 EDT (US)     151 / 167  
No no, I mean like horde then take 3 settlements. Cause 2 of those settlements to revolt and then click hoard on the last one. Is the "go horde" button grayed out then?
posted 07 February 2009 00:28 EDT (US)     152 / 167  
The game will not allow you to continually horde/settle/horde again. Instead it will give you a message saying that your people are weary of being on the move and will just not allow you to horde.

Toxaris meets up with a rare Elephant-less Seleucid army.

She leaves no survivors.

The hordes have arrived! In Roman lands I see...

Here they are. They have come right at Salona. Excellent, now I do not have to pursue them.

To the west, the Greeks have made a final throw of the dice, bringing their last full stack against Segestica. Young Polemusa leads a new army against them.

A forest, not the best place for a cavalry army like mine to fight.

My reinforcing General is not much use up here. She started out stuck in these rocks, and never did enter the battle.

That is ok, as I did not really need her. My left rides out and sweeps aside the Greek flank.

Then they turn in and finish off their artillery.

The heaviest of the Greek's cavalry cannot match my heaviest.

There is no escape for their General.

The Greeks are smashed.

In the east, Toxaris continues to maneuver in the Sinai and takes on another Elephant-less Seleucid army.

They are broken.

Not too far away, Kardika makes landfall in the northern Levant, her target is Antioch.

It looks like the Britons knocked off the Dacians.

Queen Hipothoe the Killer rides from Salona to engage the Gallic horde. Their armies flee before her, but eventually she pins one against the sea.

Their General came forward immediately, prompting both Queen Hipothoe and Princess Penthesilea to charge forward to meet him.

That is when I noticed the Chosen Swordsmen behind him. Not a good battle to get caught up in. Hipothoe and Penthesilea both stop and back off. They will let the Agema Archers do the work for now.

The left on the other hand, smashed through the Gauls.

As did the right.

Now I send my Agema Axes forward in the center.

They cut down the Gallic General.

Now the cavalry turned inward to crush the barbarians in a vise.

Nothing can stand against Gorgon Armoured Elephants.

Victory.

Scratch one horde army. Three more to go.

In the east, Kardika assaults Antioch.

No survivors.

She butchers the Seleucid inhabitants.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 02-07-2009 @ 00:29 AM).]

posted 07 February 2009 04:47 EDT (US)     153 / 167  
Yay, now you got Antioch, you can train your very own Armoured Elephants.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
posted 07 February 2009 05:22 EDT (US)     154 / 167  
Good work Sub. I just noticed that the Gallic horde troops are green and white instead of green and red (And it's also a darker shade of greeen). I mistook them at first for Gorgon soldiers. Do you plan on fixing that?
posted 07 February 2009 07:04 EDT (US)     155 / 167  
So what kind of stats do Horde troops have?
posted 07 February 2009 18:22 EDT (US)     156 / 167  
Nice work as always SubRosa, your AARs have made me a better player. In fact, I might download ATW, how large is it file-wise? Also, that Gorgon banner reminds me of the starbucks logo for some reason, it may be the colouring, I don't know.., :-)

I'm not playing all the wrong notes. I'm playing all the right notes. But not
nessescarily in the right order.- Eric Morcambe.
I have the body of a GOD!- Buddha...
www.Nottinghamrugby.co.uk
They have sown the wind, now they will reap the whirlwind.- Arthur "bomber" Harris.
posted 07 February 2009 22:30 EDT (US)     157 / 167  
Yay, now you got Antioch, you can train your very own Armoured Elephants.
I already can, but not in Antioch. It is only a Large City. Those Armoured Elephants of the Seleucids appear to be coming from Thapsakos and Seleucia.
I just noticed that the Gallic horde troops are green and white instead of green and red (And it's also a darker shade of greeen).
Hmmm, how did I miss that? Working on it now.
So what kind of stats do Horde troops have?
They are generally about the same as the regular units they are comparable to, but often a little weaker and/or slightly lower in morale to take into account that they are not really members of the warriour aristocracy, but rather commoners pressed into service. The Chosen/Elite types are the exception to that of course, with stats that live up to their names.
Nice work as always SubRosa, your AARs have made me a better player. In fact, I might download ATW, how large is it file-wise?
Thank you. It was other people's AARs that made me a better player myself, especially those of Severous. So it is nice to be able to pay that forward. ATW is just the right size. Go to the Downloads page in the ATW forums and you will see.
posted 08 February 2009 08:39 EDT (US)     158 / 167  
Nice AAR, its been good to have a free weekend to catch up, they're always a real treat to read, especially to learn about horse archer tactics which for me seriously need brushing up.
Fab mod you've made, when i get back to a RTW capable computer im going to give it a go. The Gallic Horde is a nice touch too. Maybe you could just let them roam off to get in someone else's way? (Although Mercy hasn't exactly been one of your most prominent qualities )

Britain, Britain, Britain!... We've had running water for over ten years and we invented the cat... - Tom Baker
To die in battle is nothing. To live defeated is to die every day. - Napoleon Bonaparte

MTW1 Sicily AAR - Finished 01/09/2008
2009 Snorri Sturlusson Award. Thanks
posted 08 February 2009 20:29 EDT (US)     159 / 167  
Thank you Gold Chevron. You are right though, mercy is not a quality my Amazons are noted for...

Hypsipyle the Conqueror marches south from the Danube to seal the fate of the Gauls. She attacks their horde at night, preventing the other two stacks from reinforcing her victims.

Hypsipyle has the high ground, and the Gauls are trapped with their backs to the sea.

The Gallic General comes forward bravely, but when he meets Gorgon arrows his bowels turn to water and he flees like a coward.

I send my army forward, and shatter the Gauls.

Victory with not one Gorgon lost to the enemy.

The same turn, Hypsipyle attacks the next Gallic army, again at night. This is one of the ways you neutralize the superiour numbers of hordes. The others being to fight them at bridges and in mountain passes.

Once again it is a battle along the sea shore.

I start the battle by running down some Gallic archers near the sea.

Their General met my Agema Axes and routed.

Hypsipyle and her bodyguards made sure he did not escape.

My flanks have moved forward and now have the Gallic army surrounded on three sides.

The barbarians are crushed in the vise.

Scratch one more Gallic army.

Hypsipyle was out of movement points, so could not attack the last Gallic army that turn. It was now trapped between her army and that of Queen Hipothoe.

In the eastern desert, Toxaris rides out to meet a Seleucid army in the Nile Delta. They have three Armoured Elephants.

I have a good view of the Pharos Lighthouse.

Their Elephants were all deployed in their center and right flank. That left the Companions and Cataphracts on their left exposed. I charge them immediately.

The Seleucids evaporate.

The Armoured Elephants from the Seleucid center give chase to my cavalry, leaving the last remaining Seleucid Cataphract exposed to a charge by one of my new Generals and a Companion.

The only problem with making Elephants run amok is that your horse archers no longer skirmish away from them.

Scratch another Seleucid army.

Next turn, Queen Hipothoe the Killer attacks the last remaining Gallic army.

This hill dominates the field. I want it.

My cavalry on my left, only meant to be a screening and harassing force, meets the Gallic Faction Leader and swarms in on him.

He is tramped beneath Gorgon hooves.

The Gallic center and left is smashed by the Gorgon charge.

Now only the Gauls from their right flank remain, but now I have the high ground.

My army wheels and charges in on them.

They are broken.

With that Gaul is but a memory.

That was too easy. I will have to beef up the hordes.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 02-08-2009 @ 08:29 PM).]

posted 08 February 2009 21:54 EDT (US)     160 / 167  
A monstrous Seleucid army has laid siege to Antioch. They have three War Elephants and an Armoured Elephant. This will be fun!

There are a lot of them.

I greet them with fire.

Finally I cause two of their War Elephants to run amok.

The maddened War Elephants run straight through the other Elephants, chewing them up quite nicely and driving the last War Elephant unit amok as well.

Finally the Elephants run for the exit. Unfortunately I cannot stop them.

Victory, but many of those Elephants got away.

In the west, young Polemusa takes her new army and assaults Aquincum.

The Greek defenders were drawn from the square by arrows.

My axewomen dispatch their Captain.

They rout just as the cavalry come in from behind to run them down.

Easy victory.

There is no mercy for Greeks.

With that I have 60 territories, including all those needed for victory (Triton and mainland Greece). Victory! (Once more the victory movie is not playing. It must be something in the video encoding.)

Here is a look around the map with Fog of War turned off. The Balkans are bare of Greeks except for one remaining army near Campus Tevrisci that Hypsipyle the Conqueror is marching to destroy.

In the west the Britons have Germania surrounded.

Thrace is dominant on the northern plains.

Scythia is still hanging on in the Crimea.

Armenia and the Sarmatians are at it on the eastern steppe.

In the Near East, Egypt only holds this narrow strip of land in the Levant and the island of Cyprus. The Seleucid's armies have been exhausted fighting me in the Sinai.

The Seleucid heartland lies bare.

Parthia looks very aggressive in the Armenian mountains, but do not let it fool you, they are not actually doing anything there.

Asia Minor is also bare of Seleucid defenders. The only real force is that of the Scythians at Heraclea.

Now some Lists. I am far out front Overall.

My army is the biggest in the world (I have a full stack of 1st class troops in Gaul, another at Aquincum, another under Hypsipyle marching on Campus Tevrisci, another under Queen Hipothoe marching on Thrace, another under Penthesilea gathering in Athens to invade Asia Minor, another in Antioch, and finally the last in Egpyt.

With 60 territories I am the biggest empire around.

I am also fabulously wealthy.

I also have lots of people, even with all those Greeks I have killed.

Well, that is it, stick a fork in me, I am done.
posted 09 February 2009 02:39 EDT (US)     161 / 167  
Congratulations on a well done campaign. Back to work on ATW now?

AAR Coming real soon :P
posted 09 February 2009 05:03 EDT (US)     162 / 167  
Another flawless AAR, and lots learned by all reading.
posted 09 February 2009 05:35 EDT (US)     163 / 167  
*sticks in fork*

I thought you had to defeat the Greek Cities before victory? Apparently not. Ah well, congratulations on completion. Another great AAR to add to the list you are stacking up.

Also, on the faction defeated message: SuperioUr Amazon courage?
posted 09 February 2009 15:42 EDT (US)     164 / 167  
*sticks dozens of forks and she's still alive*

Well done, now back to the drawing board.

I feel the same way I did after playing Stronghold 2 for about 15 minutes, like it was my birthday and all my friends had wheeled a giant birthday cake into the room, and I was filled with hopes dreams and desires when suddenly out of the cake pops out not a beautiful buxom maid, but a cranky old hobo that just shanks me then takes $60 dollars out of my pocket and walks away saying "deal, with it".
posted 10 February 2009 01:52 EDT (US)     165 / 167  
Once again, you have completed a brilliant AAR.

And demonstrated to we unworthy ones how wonderful your mod is- the units look like they came out of CA, the histories you wrote were wonderful, and the graphics were just gorgeous. Even better, it all seems to work! (Well, maybe not the end video as you mentioned, but you are working on that..)

Overall, Excellent!

|||||||||||||||| A transplanted Viking, born a millennium too late. |||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Too many Awards to list in Signature, sorry lords...|||||||||||||||||
|||||||||||||||| Listed on my page for your convenience and envy.|||||||||||||||||
Somewhere over the EXCO Rainbow
Master Skald, Order of the Silver Quill, Guild of the Skalds
Champion of the Sepia Joust- Joust I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII
posted 18 February 2009 07:15 EDT (US)     166 / 167  
Hi SubRosa (and all others),

Great to see you finished the game. Really sound tactics, good strategy and just great play. I've learned a lot on tactics from you and the old master Severous, whose AARs I read on your advise.

After having asked your advise before (one page back I guess), I have been reading as much as I can, and always a handfull of questions keep popping up. Most solved themselves as I read on, but I still have some left. If you or anyone else could answer them, I would be greatly indepted to you all.

- Cavalry tends to run around the field a lot. Mine is quickly exhausted (playing Julii now), making them rather useless. I've seen you can rest them, but how to: after some quick action, walking them or should you stand still?
- When charging a unit of cavalry into the back of an enemy unit, is a compact unit better than a very broad front? Is the depth (from front to back) of a formation a factor of the effect of a charge? For example: would a 40 man cavalry have more impact as a 10 wide by 4 deep have more effect than a 20 wide by 2 deep?
- Concerning spearmen/hoplites in phalanx: they can just attack a unit, but sometimes a poster says something like marching them through an enemy unit by clicking behind it. Does this also work? If they march through, do they still hurt enemy units?
- I've seen some sort of overview where you can see (in different tabs) all you generals, all cities etc. with their specs. I am playing RTW 1.0, but will after finishing my first campaign upgrade with patches to 1.5. Can I use that screen in vanilla, or only later with the patches?

Again, thanks for the info!

Ianvs
posted 23 February 2009 00:18 EDT (US)     167 / 167  
HELLO
Subrosa you are more worthy to be awesomated than me great work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you going to do another AAR before you go back to Amazon? If you are might i suggest Numbia(on Vinilla), Spain or maybe even the germans. IT would be f ing fantastic.

ONCE AGAIN GREAT WORK

Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it- George Santayana
History is a guide to navigation in perilous times. History is who we are and why we are the way we are- David C. McCullough
Wars not make one great- Yoda
« Previous Page  1 ··· 5 6 7  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Bardic Circle - War Stories & AAR forum » Gorgon AAR (ATW)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames