You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Game Modification & Editor Discussion

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Win Conditions
posted 17 July 2008 18:26 EDT (US)   
I have been experimenting with the victory conditions in RTW. What I would like to do is give factions something other than take Rome and hold 50 territories for the Long Campaign. I was thinking of giving them specific territories to take, maybe more or less than 50 territories total, and other factions to outlive.

You can do these things in BI with the following lines:

take_regions (region names)
hold_regions (number of regions)

RTW has this line as well:
outlive_factions

However, outlive_factions does not seem to work for the long campaign. I even tried using a long_campaign line to start with, but that did not help. Whenever I try it, or the two above, the game does not see the long campaign victory conditions for all factions (it looks like it just stops reading the file when it sees something it does not understand).

Does anyone know of there is a way to do this in RTW? Or are these things BI specific?
Replies:
posted 17 July 2008 19:17 EDT (US)     1 / 6  
Your problem is the combining of outlive_factions and take_regions, those are incompatible for some reason. Otherwise, you should be able to use take_regions and hold_regions in RTW.

I don't know much else, not having experimented with win conditions to any large degree.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 17 July 2008 20:29 EDT (US)     2 / 6  
No luck. It still wipes out all the victory conditions even when taking out outlive_factions. In fact, using hold_regions on its own causes a ctd when you click on the faction in the selection screen.

It is looking like these are BI only. Another good reason to migrate to the BI engine.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-17-2008 @ 08:29 PM).]

posted 18 July 2008 03:06 EDT (US)     3 / 6  
You should be able to use hold_regions and take_regions in RTW. I do it in my own mod and it work just fine:

romans_julii
hold_regions Latium
take_regions 50
short_campaign outlive_factions
gauls

macedon
hold_regions Babylonia Syria Macedonia Nile_Delta
take_regions 50
short_campaign take_rome

seleucid
hold_regions Babylonia Syria Macedonia Nile_Delta
take_regions 50
short_campaign take_rome

The problem isn't in take_regions and hold_regions so it must be the combination of them with outlive_factions that causes it not to work like Caesar said. Maybe it's just not possible to combine three factors for the victory conditions.

Hussarknight
posted 18 July 2008 10:40 EDT (US)     4 / 6  
If by not being able to combine them, you mean across long and short campaign conditions, that should be possible.

Here's an example from XGM for the RTW.exe, not the BI.exe.
greek_cities
hold_regions Laconia Attica Achaia Arcadia Macedonia Thessalia Aetolia Scythia Scythia_Parva Heraclea_Chersonesus Regnum_Bosphoranum Epirus Illyria Thrace Dalmatia
Dardania Propontis Bithynia Moesia Phrygia Pamphylia Pontus Colchis Paphlagonia Mysia Aeolis Ionia Lydia Caria Cyprus Cilicia Syria Coele_Syria Assyria Phoenicia Judaea
Babylonia Cyrenaica Nile_Delta Bruttium Calabria Sicilia_Graecus Sicilia_Romanus Sicilia_Poeni Rhodos Crete Thrace_Minor Ceretania Transalpine_Gaul
take_regions 50
macedon thrace

macedon
outlive_factions
romans_julii greek_cities seleucid egypt thrace
greek_cities thrace
You can see that the Greek Cities have both hold_regions and take_regions in the long campaign, and Macedon has outlive_factions in both long and short campaign.

I'd double check the province names first, and also if you aren't doing so already, make the changes to the conditions one faction at a time.

Perhaps you could post the conditions you are trying to use as well?

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.

[This message has been edited by CaesarVincens (edited 07-18-2008 @ 10:41 AM).]

posted 18 July 2008 12:01 EDT (US)     5 / 6  
Hmmm, now it is working with take_regions and hold_regions. I am not sure what was going wrong before. Maybe I was mistyping something.

Better add this to the list of tools and tutorials.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-18-2008 @ 12:01 PM).]

posted 18 July 2008 19:57 EDT (US)     6 / 6  
Noticed another problem. While the victory conditions show up fine in the faction selection screen, when you start a campaign and go to the faction overview scroll, they do not appear there. This happens even with factions whose victory conditions I did not modify.

I am using this code:

romans_brutii
hold_regions Scythia
take_regions 60
scythia armenia

Edit:

An interesting thing I discovered is that if you use only the hold_regions line the campaign selection screen will say: "Take 0 regions, including x". So it looks like if you use one, the game expects you do use the other.

I also tried copying and pasting Hussarknight's code over that of my own for those three factions, with nothing else being changed. I still get the same thing. The new victory conditions appear in the faction selection screen, but when you start a game they do not appear in the Faction Overview scroll.

Edit Again:

Got it! I had to delete the entry for romans_julii. They are the Gorgons, and are not in the game yet. Apparently them having a section in there caused the problem. I will have to remember to put them back in the win conditions when I implement them.

Edit One More Time:

More interesting things I have discovered.

outlive_factions works, but the factions in question have to be on a new line. Where with hold_regions and take_regions the provinces have to be in the same line.

outlive_factions will not work with anything else, and it seems to default to making you take 15 regions as well. I tried to combine it with take_regions, in order to up the regions needed, but it did not work. If I put the take_regions above outlive_factions it wipes out the victory conditions of the faction in question, but at least not all the others too. If I put it below the outlive_factions line the long campaign conditions display normally (at only 15 territories), but the short campaign victory conditions are wiped out. So it looks like outlive_factions will not play nicely with any of the other two options.

I also tried putting a hold_regions line above an outlive_factions factions one. It ignored the outlive_factions line completely, and just displayed the hold_regions info. Since there was not a take_regions line with it it just said "take 0 regions and hold x" again. Once more the short campaign victory conditions were wiped out too.

It appears that the game expects either outlive_factions and the factions specified after it to be the last thing it reads in the long campaign conditions, or hold/take_regions to do the same. Then it expects to read the short campaign conditions next. If it sees something other than short_campaign at the beginning of the next line it gets confused and ignores everything from that point on.

hold_regions and take_regions can be used together. hold_regions can be used alone, but 0 regions will be needed to win. However, if take_regions is used alone, it wipes out the victory conditions for every faction. Likewise if the take_regions line is put above the hold_regions line. So if you are going to use both, hold_regions must be above take_regions.

I think I will write my next article on this.

[This message has been edited by SubRosa (edited 07-18-2008 @ 10:33 PM).]

Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Win Conditions
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames