Topic Subject: Pretanic Isles - Total War
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 28 September 2009 12:05 EDT (US)   
EDIT

Mod finally released. See here.

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 12-10-2010 @ 08:44 AM).]

Replies:
posted 12 October 2009 09:18 EDT (US)     26 / 39  
I know; it's quite a straightforward thing to do if I could just follow instructions carefully. But in the end, a tier 1 unit such as woad warriors automatically overpowers a faction. I'll just increase their stats a bit, and rerelease them under a new name.

posted 13 October 2009 09:07 EDT (US)     27 / 39  
I think Northern Italy is a bit too crowded. If I were you I'd move the new settlement to the other side of the Po to create some space between the towns.

Hussarknight
posted 13 October 2009 14:51 EDT (US)     28 / 39  
Yeah, maybe you're right, but when the rest of the map gets a similar settlement density, I think you won't notice so much any more.

Although, Placentia/Cispadana, a rebel province on the other side of the Po, might be a good idea... a great casus belli between Gaul and Rome.

You may have noticed that I didn't say "Julii". That's because I am going to unite the Roman factions into one. However, I am not going to introduce any new factions for now; that sounds too much like hard work. In later versions of this mod, maybe.

posted 16 October 2009 03:48 EDT (US)     29 / 39  
Like my new avatar, guys?

A little progress:

I have renamed Eburawc as suggested by DiscreetNovgorod.

I have also moved Transpadana to Cispadana, although it looks even more crowded down there now. Placentia is not in the perfect place.

Plus, there is a new province in the Alps: Raetia.

Meanwhile, Britannia has gained its own Naked Fanatics:

And say hello to Pretani cavalry! these guys have the same stats as Roman Cavalry Auxilia, but they are slightly more expensive, and have slightly more ammo.

EDIT: I've altered every faction's victory conditions to be settlement-defined instead of just having to take Rome. Here is Britannia's:

I have also re-done the Cernunnos temple tree. I decided to reduce the stats of Head hurlers to make them a Tier 1 unit instead, while Painted Heroes are just Woad Warriors with better stats (identical to German Chosen Axemen).

Tier 1:

Tier 2:

Tier 3:

On another note, is it possible to set a specific portrait for a specific general at the beginning of the game? Say, for example, I want to use pic121 for the character Tristan (one of several names I added to Britannia and Gaul), but it is set by default to something else?

[This message has been edited by Edorix (edited 10-16-2009 @ 07:17 AM).]

posted 30 October 2009 05:47 EDT (US)     30 / 39  
Another question:

Is it possible to have a settlement on a spit of land that only takes up one tile? On the same subject, is it possible to set part of the sea as belonging to another province on the regions map?

posted 30 October 2009 13:14 EDT (US)     31 / 39  
The answer the question about the general portrait: this is possible only on Alexander.

Now for the second question.

Its possible to have a province be two tiles, on tile of province and one of city surrounded on three sides by sea, and one by its province.

There are only two restrictions I know of for placing cities (and ports): one, it must be touch non-diagonally to its province, and two, it cannot be touch non-diagonally to another province. However, sea side cities are perfectly acceptable.

So
WWW or WWW or WWW
WCW WCW WCW
WPW ABA PPP
Are all possible, where W is sea, C is the city, and P, A, and B are provinces. In the middle one, province B is where the city will be.

As to the second part of your question, I'm not sure what you mean. It's possible to have multiple sea regions, but the sea never belongs to a province.

Veni, Vidi, well... you know.

Extended Cultures, A modification of RTW.

Si hoc legere posses, Latinam linguam scis.
ɪf ju kæn ɹid ðɪs, ju noʊ liŋgwɪstɪks.
posted 05 November 2009 11:34 EDT (US)     32 / 39  
I meant, could some of the tiles set to the ground type "sea" become part of a province that isn't "The Sea"?

Anyhow, thanks a lot.

The main reason for this post is a major cut-down on what I am going to do with this mod. My original plan was to overhaul Britannia, AND make sweeping changes to nearly all the other factions, and massive overhauls of the campaign map. But there is a problem.

My girlfriend doesn't like me spending the amount of time on the computer required to make this mod, and it's not the only thing I do here either. So I need to backtrack, slow down, and settle for less.

I have almost finished this mod. I am just tweaking the map of Britannia again and re-ordering the unit roster, rolling back the changes to Noricum and the Po Valley, adding two other provinces (Corsica and Scandia), renaming Gaul to "Celtae", Spain to "Iberia" and Britannia to "Pretani", and then I'm leaving this alone indefinitely. Perhaps I'll come back in the future, unite the Romans, make all factions playable, and do some of the things I'd planned; but for now, I can't.

Thank you all for your help. I will cease to update this thread with posts, and instead just update the first post with an overview of the changes I've made when this is done, until the mod is up for download.

posted 05 November 2009 23:28 EDT (US)     33 / 39  
I meant, could some of the tiles set to the ground type "sea" become part of a province that isn't "The Sea"?
No, any sea tiles (set in map_heights.tga/hgt actually), are made part of the sea in corrected_regions.tga which is located in your RTW folder and is generated whenever it is absent (and you start a campaign).

posted 12 November 2009 03:41 EDT (US)     34 / 39  
Can you show me what the text is in Alexander that assigns the portrait to the general, or is it more complicated than that? Because I could possibly fit it in if I knew what to use; victory condition coding from BI works in vanilla after all.

posted 12 November 2009 20:34 EDT (US)     35 / 39  
Unfortunately, unique portraits are Alexander only. It's a feature specific to that exe.

posted 13 November 2009 13:22 EDT (US)     36 / 39  
Well I'm pretty sure they're not randomly generated in vanilla. I'll fiddle a bit with that.

posted 13 November 2009 13:43 EDT (US)     37 / 39  
As far as I understand they are randomly assigned when a new map.rwm is generated. Thus, they will always be the same in every campaign with the same map.
posted 13 November 2009 14:53 EDT (US)     38 / 39  
Well I'm pretty sure they're not randomly generated in vanilla. I'll fiddle a bit with that.
Either it is as Andalus says or portraits are assigned to family members in descr_strat based on the number of the portrait, so the first Roman character (by culture) will get the first Roman portrait and the second and so on.

posted 15 November 2009 03:19 EDT (US)     39 / 39  
Yes, that was what I was thinking. I'll have to do some experimenting it seems. I think they are probably not randomly generated; I have already reconstucted the British family tree, and two out of four of the portraits are the same as in vanilla...

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Total War Heaven » Forums » Game Modification & Editor Discussion » Pretanic Isles - Total War
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Total War Heaven | HeavenGames