Please login or register

Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, peter2008, Doomsword

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Chat room about Stronghold 2
posted 06-29-15 04:39 EST (US)   
I am making this tread so we could chat in here about various stuff, and so we wouldn't go too much off topic at Serros_1's tread made for his Stronghold 2 mod Imperium Condita.

So, in reply to the latest message there which is off topic there...
lords3 isn't worth playing but Lords of the Realm2 is.

BTW could you do me a favor? I have a Map that was uploaded back about 9 years ago called "CASTLE GRANT".

http://stronghold2.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=186&ci=c9e3b8241b4489c9c0f96bb365e387fcYToxOntpOjA7YToyOntpOjA7czoxNDoiU2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHMiO2k6MTtzOjQyOiJsaXN0ZXIucGhwP3N0YXJ0PTAmYW1wO3NlYXJjaD1jYXN0bGUgZ3JhbnQiO319

Its a good map and everyone who played it seemed to like it, but back then some systems couldn't play the map because of the lag or CTD.

No one RATED my map, and its a good map others may overlook because it wasn't rated. If you have a nice system that plays SH2 well give the map a try and leave feedback and rating I would really appreciate it. :-)

Its a Fun siege map and has a lot of scripted action with units etc.
Honestly I am unsure if I am going to try Lord of the Realm 2, although I am sure that it does have a great gameplay, as your not the only one who recommended it. Unfortunately I am spoiled a little when it comes to graphics, although I do enjoy all those great games published after year 2000... I would certainly try it if I had more time.

Regarding your map, I would be glad to test your map and rate it. I am only unsure which day I'm going to be able to test it, but I would do it this week hopefully.
Replies:
posted 06-29-15 09:01 EST (US)     1 / 28  
Hello,

Lords2 is worth playing the music isn't bad, gameplay is great and the graphics are NOT that bad considering.

Its worth the try. Good old Games has it for about $6, And it comes with Lords1, 2 and 3!

Thanks for checking out the map, I really need a rating on it, I also think you will enjoy it much. :-) Let me know what you think in the map location and here, copy and paste is fine. ;-)

Lord Grant

posted 06-29-15 15:45 EST (US)     2 / 28  
Thanks for telling about Lords of the Realm. I would like to try those games - including the 3rd one... Also, when I sad that about graphics in in Lords of the Realm 2 - I do realize that it does have great graphics considering when it was released.

Certainly, I would give my reply on both places.
posted 06-30-15 03:41 EST (US)     3 / 28  
GOG.com is a good source for old games.

Lords of the Realm package is worth it, and Castles package is nice and fun tho looks very old its worth a try as the GAMEPLAY is great. If you play those games with their Gameplay you will see WHERE Firefly dropped the ball.

Lord Grant

posted 06-30-15 07:00 EST (US)     4 / 28  
Thanks for recommendations. I'll keep that in mind. Also, it is good to have something like GOG around.
posted 06-30-15 09:07 EST (US)     5 / 28  
I look forward to your opinion on my map.

BTW uploads are taking a lot longer than 1 week now. lol I just hope they still upload.

Lord Grant

[This message has been edited by grant1977 (edited 06-30-2015 @ 09:30 AM).]

posted 07-04-15 15:04 EST (US)     6 / 28  
Could you guys point me to the right post? I'm making war custom scenarios, and every time I make a map, crime, gong, and rats swarm in. The map I'm making can't have any of those things. But I can't figure out how to disable them.
Thanks.
posted 07-05-15 04:35 EST (US)     7 / 28  
Hello,

It is easy, in the edit mission section add a new EVENT and 2 of the options scrolling down are "turn off Rat production" and "Turn off Gong production"

This have to be used with every mission you make so if you make a new mission you need to add these events also to the new missions also.

Its pretty easy and straight forward. :-)

Lord Grant

posted 07-05-15 08:12 EST (US)     8 / 28  
Hmm that's strange. I could have swore that I went through all the options. Guess I wasn't looking hard enough. lol Thanks.
posted 07-05-15 16:31 EST (US)     9 / 28  
Hi, grant1977! I tried your map, although I didn't play it to the end (I do assume that there will be pitch all around and inside the castle I'm attacking ). I like how you used small wooden gatehouses and other tricks to separate outer walls from those inner ones, so there are three layers in fact which need to be won separately.

Regarding things I may not like here is the number of the troops which is too high I think. I think that the player here has too much troops of any type, which makes the mission pretty easy maybe - simply: group your units, and charge onto the castle (with a plan, of course, but it's still easy). Another thing which one cannot notice when he fights is the landscape which is pretty plain, but that I am saying only because I have seen map makers who make maps caring even about those tiny details - making ground not flat, putting some rocks here and there, some bushes, etc... All this I said only because I wanted to say my opinion about everything regarding your map which is great!

I will write the review later when I finish the map. This time I was playing it because I said I would, but it will be way better experience to me when I have more time, and I know that my brother will love your map.
posted 07-06-15 06:27 EST (US)     10 / 28  
Thanks,

BTW you can't just rush the castle, if you do that you will lose, I did alot of testing on the castle and its a tough nut to crack. You even get more troops later that will arrive to HELP you. :-)

No Pitch inside the castle, I felt it was unrealistic to have pitch inside a castle. But there are scripted events which cause the troops to do things when you take different areas. There are also other ways to get more troops and help on the map. Don't let the castle fool you, its hard, I made the map and had a hard time taking it, that is why it is listed as Very hard.

I am well aware of the RUSH tactic and use of macemen, those tactics will end in defeat, do not forget that an relief force is coming to help the defender and will attack you, so you need men to defend what you take at the end. ;-)

As for the map, I know it doesn't have hilly ground etc. I am just not good at artist stuff, plus I found if one isn't careful there are glitches in the editor that can mess your map up on placing things. Historically like HARLECH which is what the Castle is based on, they looked for flat areas around the castle with NO trees so the enemy wouldn't have cover etc. Most trees around castles today grew after they were no longer used. True there are some castles built on hills etc. like mine is for tactical reasons.

I am actually improving my Castle map with New scripts and more fun things which is a version 4. So if you like the map your playing you will like the newer one I am making.

Don't be fooled you do not have too many men, you will learn. :-)

Lord Grant

posted 07-06-15 11:10 EST (US)     11 / 28  
I am aware that simple rushing wouldn't work, one needs to have a plan. And yes, it's not that I was on my way to win the map from the first attempt.

Regarding being realistic to place pitch into the castle - it may not be too realistic, but it was realistic for someone to burn his own city to drive the invaders away, to to burn any possible supplies the invader could get from the castle - we can look at it that way.

It was a nice idea to put that invasion to help the defender! I like when people put those stuff I don't expect.

I am glad to hear that. I will try to finish the map soon, although I will start from the beginning - in order to have more men after taking down the first layer.
posted 07-06-15 13:46 EST (US)     12 / 28  
Remember when you kill Barclay you will get the castle and must rebuild what you damage, but the problem is you have to use Engineers to rebuild and not the normal repair. All you can build is wooden walls that can built built instantly.

This was all done to add strategy.

I haven't played my map in Years. and while redoing some things and making better. I was play testing my own map and lost twice already because I assumed something and watched all mu Swordsmen just Burn up or Rocks killing them and I had 167 of them right near the keep!

Planning is important but the ticking timer makes one take more chances and rush just like real life.

I plan on adding your suggestions for looks on the landscape if I can. My version has many more fun things to happen plus rewards for the player. Look around the map and see what is there that may be worth checking out because you will lose men on the real castle which is on the hill.
the first walls are the town walls. lol

Lord Grant

posted 07-22-15 14:19 EST (US)     13 / 28  
This post is no longer relevant.

[This message has been edited by Serros_1 (edited 07-23-2015 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 07-25-15 05:47 EST (US)     14 / 28  
The post is no longer relevant because you found an answer, or it's something else?

Regarding that hunters behavior you described - I believe I have noticed that before (that they also hunt down a dear, and not just some of those birds above), although I am not much useful when it comes to exploiting this for a mod.

I apologize for not replying earlier.
posted 07-25-15 14:22 EST (US)     15 / 28  
Its fine. Yes I discovered what was going on. Whatever food source a hunter's post is closest to, that is what will be hunted. If you place it close to a herd of deer, they hunt deer. Close to rabbits, rabbits. If nothing is available, pheasants. I've been playing this game for years, and I cannot believe this is the first time I've discovered this. lol

[This message has been edited by Serros_1 (edited 07-25-2015 @ 10:22 PM).]

posted 07-25-15 15:31 EST (US)     16 / 28  
Well, we rarely have dears around, so it was a bit hard to notice unless you were watching. But the game is really full of all those interesting stuff.
posted 07-27-15 00:17 EST (US)     17 / 28  
Keep in mind hunting Dear gives you more meat, atleast that is what I noticed.

Eagle don't forget now to leave a Star feedback! ;-)

Lord Grant

posted 07-27-15 01:51 EST (US)     18 / 28  
I surely won't forget, only I haven't played second time yet. I have a lot to do right now, so I tend to play those half hour games or maximum one hour, while with your map - I shall indeed need more time and patience. You were right about that. I have to pass two exams at university soon, but I will try to finish your map at least in several evenings.
posted 07-29-15 20:17 EST (US)     19 / 28  
Thanks, I really need a review and more important a star rating. Many liked the map but no one left a 5 star rating. lol

Lord Grant

posted 07-30-15 04:57 EST (US)     20 / 28  
Unfortunately I will not be able to play it to the end these days. I had obligations these few days and tomorrow I'm going on a trip. I would be back on august 8.
posted 08-09-15 22:45 EST (US)     21 / 28  
I believe this question has been asked already, but could someone point me to a tutorial showing how to start a warcustom map like a siege? What I want to do is start the player on neutral ground, and force them to take the enemy castle by eliminating all enemy troops. After this, the castle becomes their own.
Thanks.
posted 08-10-15 00:54 EST (US)     22 / 28  
That is related to some event like changing territories, or something like that. Unfortunately I don't know how,exactly to do tho, but I am sure that someone at Stronghold Nation knows how to do that. I would try to do that myself, but I don't have much time. Otherwise I would want to try a lot of stuff myself, but back when I had more time i didn't realize how interesting Stronghold 2 scenarios can be. Indeed, a Stronghold 2 scenario one can easily observe as a peace of art. Sir Vet was one of people who showed that to us, but sadly we don't see him here these days. I hope he'll come back, he's a good man.
posted 08-29-15 13:42 EST (US)     23 / 28  
I just came here to tell grant that I tried to win the map, but I wasn't successful in that. It appeared to be harder than I thought in the first place, although the player has a lot of troops that place is a hell.
posted 09-05-15 23:10 EST (US)     24 / 28  
Its a map you can win, I play-tested it a lot, but I find after a few years when I went to play I lost as I forgot some of the tactics needed to take that castle. Did you notice the units retreat to different areas as if reinforcing them? Its not spawning units they are actually in the castle or on the walls, the retreat at certain times when you break through.

I tried to make it realistic as if a siege were taking place what the defender might do. It takes thought, its an advanced map that is 100% able to be won, but it takes skill and planning and is designed for replay until the player figures out how to take it!

Hope you left a review!

Lord Grant

posted 09-06-15 14:38 EST (US)     25 / 28  
Well, I didn't say I cannot win that mission. Only I don't know how yet, but I do have an idea now. The thing is that I have so many troops which makes me hard to have an eye on what I have, what is going on, and what are the weak points of the castle.

Also I have no doubt in whether you tested the map, I am sure you did, and I like those missions I don't win at first.

By the way, my idea for the next assault is not to attack from the front of the castle but to attack the front walls first just to get rid of the archers there and to capture the main gatehouse with some archers and crossbowmen, and then to move the army to the east and to attack the upper castle from that side. That part in front was real inferno for my troops.

I haven't made a review yet, but I would do it after I make it to win the scenario.

I have passed two of my exams during this summer - one in August and another one on Friday. I still want to try to prepare myself for another exam - to try to pass it during October, although that may seem as mission impossible.
posted 09-07-15 01:06 EST (US)     26 / 28  
Well it would have been nice if you liked the map to at least give it a star rating. I mean save the written review until you win it, but do a star review for the fun you already had. You don't have to leave a written review to leave a Star rating.

Because of your workload it could be months before you actually win the map, especially if your not use to fighting with large number of men. I've been waiting for the review for a month now. lol

No need to rush the written review as I would prefer you to win the game, but based on design and playing you should be able to know if its a star rated mission.

P.S. Congrats on your passing your exams, and I wish you well on your next!

Lord Grant

[This message has been edited by grant1977 (edited 09-07-2015 @ 01:08 AM).]

posted 09-07-15 02:30 EST (US)     27 / 28  
Those reviews need to be approved by Doomsword, and if I give an incomplete review it wouldn't be approved. This is why I will at least try to win the scenario in various ways, but I am almost sure I will win it during this month. It is a matter of honor now, I can't just go away defeated from those castle walls.

If I don't make it to win the castle soon enough, then I would write a review based on what I have seen.

Thanks! Those two exams were important to me, I was going somewhat slow with exams in general during the past year, and now I managed to pass three of those exams in five months. It will be easer for me to spend some more time with Stronghold 2 now.
posted 09-09-15 02:00 EST (US)     28 / 28  
Ok I look forward to seeing your results.

Lord Grant

Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold 2 and Legends: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » Chat room about Stronghold 2
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames