Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: 7 year fire trick!
posted 06-11-07 01:29 EST (US)   
Those wily monks at Stronghold Heaven must be at it again. This new tutorial scroll will provide you with yet another long sought after eye candy trick. So simple its scary, be aware of the monster you release!

WARNING : Once you have placed a combustion area and saved the map, that area will become PERMANENT on the map. Always keep a back-up file.

Once lit, fires can only be put out by well men. If you put a fire out, you can simply reset the pitch to relight the fire!

Step 1 :

Place a 4 tile x 3 tile stone block as seen in the first picture.

Step 2 :

Place 2 Wooden Gatehouses exactly as it is seen in the following picture. Make sure to orient the gatehouses correctly.

Step 3 :

Delete any remaining stone tiles not erased by the placement of the gatehouses and place a single wooden wall tile.

Step 4 :

Now, select a Wooden Platform and place it as you see in the following picture. The platform may not orient itself the way you want at first. With a wooden wall tile on only one of its faces, the platform will give you only 2 different orientations. To alter between one or the other, left click on your mouse when you select the platform but do not release the button. Move the mouse slightly left or right until the platform alters its orientation to the one you need then release the button.

Step 5 :

Place, then immediately delete a Perimeter Turret exactly where seen below.

Step 6 :

Now create the combustion area. You can use any type of farm. I prefer wheat farms as the end-result graphics tend to look like large pitch ditches, “Pitch Trenches” shall we say. Place the combustion area as seen.

Step 7 :

Simply delete everything except the farm and add some pitch ditches around the combustion area.

Light.

RUN!

I fear I have unleashed a Nightmare.
UnikUnok

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 06-11-2007 @ 01:30 AM).]

Replies:
posted 06-11-07 02:42 EST (US)     1 / 27  
Excellent. I'm sure us later version owners will find having permanent fire available very handy. (And just in time for my comp map)

To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
Robert Orben
posted 06-11-07 03:11 EST (US)     2 / 27  
I fear you have done just that, UU!

As you have no doubt played around with this idea, do you think it is possible to use this trick to create camp fires, beacons and other 'smaller' scale permafire? Having small camp fires would add something special to small bandit camps, and beacons (I use the term very loosely) or signal fires could be a neat little trick!

Either way, it's a great tutorial! Well done! I should just let you design the final chapter in my Bretwalda series and be done with it, as you seem to be creating all the little tricks and features I wish were in the original editor!

:: scuttles off to burn some peasants ::
posted 06-11-07 06:23 EST (US)     3 / 27  
well you can get rid of the spread with moat or river but it still leaves you with a large square of fire - nice trick but its limited unless there is a way to break it up into smaller parts i wish everyone used version 1 would make life alot easier

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
Author: Thomas Paine
posted 06-11-07 08:11 EST (US)     4 / 27  
LoL Sulis, I wasted hours goofing off in much the same way. I placed one or two of these puppies and burned entire maps!

You can break up the fire with two clumsy techniques :

First, simply cover certain areas with stones.

Second, raise the terrain that borders the unusable areas and than place stones that overlap. This will raise parts of the unusable areas. More research is needed here.

Trick was done on Stronghold Warchest for those interested parties.

Farms are still functional if you wish to keep them without their huts for those it may interest

'And they that shall be of thee shall build up the old waste places; thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, the repairer of the breach, the restorer of paths to dwell in' - Isaiah
posted 06-11-07 08:24 EST (US)     5 / 27  
First, simply cover certain areas with stones
I tried doing this many differnt ways and it still kept burning

even placed invisible stones

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.
posted 06-11-07 11:03 EST (US)     6 / 27  
Are you sure this is actually permanent? Because I remember over at SHK that someone found some perma-fire trick but it turned out to only last about 10-15 game years or so..

I s'pose it must continue to burn as it is actually a building! Perfect!
Just today I was thinking of making a map on the Great Fire of London.. if I ever do, this will surely come in handy

Oh and one more thing.. if someone doesn't mind trying, you could place stones over the farm (the wheat part, not the grass) and leave one square with no stone.. try saving the map and exit then re-enter the map and set off some pitch.. It might just continue to burn in only one place.
I'm about to load up Stronghold, so i'll test my theory
posted 06-11-07 11:14 EST (US)     7 / 27  
yea mine died out after a while

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 06-11-07 14:05 EST (US)     8 / 27  
thanks for showing us how to do that
posted 06-11-07 15:20 EST (US)     9 / 27  
Your welcome Ericgolf, I am glad to know you enjoyed the tutorial.

posted 06-12-07 02:05 EST (US)     10 / 27  
Is this truely permanent? mine tends to die out after a while anyone else have that problem?

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 06-12-2007 @ 02:15 AM).]

posted 06-12-07 08:07 EST (US)     11 / 27  
Seeing that these tricks work only for stronghold makes me go mad.

Subindxsubin
"OMG return of the forummers! Welcome back, chaps!"-King Of Scots
"Holy......Subin's back!"-Venomrider
"For all who draw the sword will die by the sword-Jesus my lord
"I would send you some snow Subin if I knew it wouldn't melt."-Lady Arcola
"Congratz Jubu, you have eneded subin's tyrannical dictatorship"- Darkslave Master
posted 06-12-07 09:36 EST (US)     12 / 27  
Why SubindxSubin?
Wait....
I remeber...
You don't have stronghold right?
----
Anyways, thats a very nice trick you've found UnikUnok.
Its always intresting to see new trickes in new maps.

Ace WebMasters
Ace WebMasters, is the best place to go, for help and advice for any and all WebMasters.
++*Plus, we do all our work, for free!!*++

Ace WebMasters
http://acewebmasters.forumotion.com

[This message has been edited by EliteAce (edited 06-12-2007 @ 09:36 AM).]

posted 06-12-07 17:38 EST (US)     13 / 27  
trying not to be a nag here but can someone tell me if their fire goes out after a while please. Mine lasts a good few years but does die out, any reasons why?i may have a use for this...

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 06-12-07 18:05 EST (US)     14 / 27  
I'm not sure about your question, I havn't had the chance to try this fire trick out yet

On the topic of fires...

In the Troy film, the enemy set the city on fire. I want to recreate this in my Troy map. Is there a way of creating fires when the enemy break into the city?

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins

[This message has been edited by younghappy (edited 06-12-2007 @ 06:07 PM).]

posted 06-12-07 18:27 EST (US)     15 / 27  
YH you could have: condition - your troops killed (pick a number the invaders are likely to kill as they break the wall. a bit of trial and error...
action - fire!

Or you could have these perma fire farms (with pitch around them) located around troy and have oil engineers set to agressive so when the enemy comes near the farms he sets the pitch off and the perma fire begins.

They are only sugesstions, have a play around and see what you think works

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 06-12-07 18:45 EST (US)     16 / 27  
Thanks, so if I work out how many are in the army out side the city and how many soldiers on the gate house and script fires when that number dies. That could work but it all depends how the enemy acts and how the player acts (it would probably work if the player just sat back and watched)

The idea about the engineers is interesting. Though surely the player would disband or reloacte the oil engeneer before he could set his own city on fire!

"the only thing that makes me feel safe is the fact that this is the 20th one of these camps my school has done and snakes are reptiles so they get their energy from the sun so when the sun goes down hopefully they will go to sleep or whatever they do and not decide to sleep with me when they discover there log isn't very comfortable."-scragins
posted 06-12-07 19:30 EST (US)     17 / 27  
Yep your right it would require watcing AI patterns and alot of trial and error...

secondly you make a great point, however if a designer scrips an event like that and states it in the readme i'd play the senario the way its intended - it does cause a big issue and isnt very practical i agree. What if you made these engineers invisible? perhaps that is another option.

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

[This message has been edited by WarLord_Designs (edited 06-12-2007 @ 07:31 PM).]

posted 06-12-07 20:42 EST (US)     18 / 27  
UPDATE : Fire is not permanent. Fire sprites, or the abilty for the fire to spread stop after 3 years and 6 months. This leaves a core fire square 6x10 tiles large. Core fire will burn out after 7 years.

Farm remains and is still functional. Cumbustion area can be relit as well by placing more pitch. Finally, placing more than one cumbustion area side by side causes them to apparently reinvigorate each other. Fires can last indefinitely this way.

Enjoy,
UU

posted 06-12-07 20:49 EST (US)     19 / 27  
Ok thats useful info...

so if i had 2 setup near each other when 1 went out it would be lit by the other again and thus keep burning permanantly?

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 06-12-07 21:48 EST (US)     20 / 27  
Test was done with 4 wheat farms placed in a 20 x 20 tile square.

Nothing can guarantee permanance now, especially when it comes to fire sprites causing another building to alite. That is why I said indefinitely.

Hope that helps with your idea.

@ Sulis, should the topics name be switched to 7 Year Fire?

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 06-12-2007 @ 09:53 PM).]

posted 06-12-07 21:57 EST (US)     21 / 27  
well its as perminant as we are ever going to get, 7 years is a good chunk of time

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 06-12-07 22:10 EST (US)     22 / 27  
Sir Ravenclaw wrote:
Are you sure this is actually permanent? Because I remember over at SHK that someone found some perma-fire trick but it turned out to only last about 10-15 game years or so..

I s'pose it must continue to burn as it is actually a building! Perfect!

Can anyone find this information? I have never seen this over at SHK. A possible combination of the two may achieve what is truly desired.

EDIT: This may be in reference to the frozen burning sprite trick. If so, that trick involved setting troops alite and "catching" them by changing the terrain underneath them to water. Check this out Sulis as this could make a small, albiet morbid, campfire.

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 06-12-2007 @ 10:15 PM).]

posted 06-13-07 05:45 EST (US)     23 / 27  
That trick does work UU but only with version 1.0. If for instace you create a campfire using this trick with version 1 anyone who plays your map with a patched version (ie deluxe or warchest) will see the flames disapear. Its a shame - wouldnt be a problem if people played with an unpatched game though

Work in progress
The Ourea 3
Fallen Angel

posted 06-16-07 20:11 EST (US)     24 / 27  
SHK thread

I remember it not being permanent discussed somewhere, but maybe that was on a similar thread here and never brought up at SHK.

Time is an illusion; lunchtime doubly so.
posted 06-17-07 07:30 EST (US)     25 / 27  
Yes, I believe that is the thread.
You set up an eraser around a woodcutters hut, set it on fire and then erase it using a magic eraser - Lord Ako's first impressions were that it was an everlasting flame, but somebody burst his bubble when they found out the fires dissapeared after a while
posted 06-17-07 20:40 EST (US)     26 / 27  
I spent a lot of time trying to get Lord Ako's technique up to par, i.e. up to the performance levels of the 7 Year Fire Trick.

Well, I succeeded in postponing this weeks tutorial and that was about it. I immediately saw the value in his version of a smaller fire footprint and tried my best to get the fire to last as long but alas...

Here are the two best techniques I found:

Lord Ako's long lasting fire trick.

Technique 1
Follow the above tutorial through to the placement of the wheat farm. Instead of the farm, place a woodcutter's hut.

Now place pitch next to the hut and set it alight.

Delete the Wooden gatehouses out of sequence. For example, delete the wooden platform first, the outside gatehouse second, and the middle gatehouse last.

Advantages :This will produce a 1 tile x 3 tile unusable and permanent footprint for your fire, much smaller than the above technique.

Disadvantages :Mutilated woodcutters hut will remain visible. Fire sprites last only 3 years 6 months, core fire burns out after only 5 years. Either an intermittent unemployed sign or constant sleeping industry sign will remain above your fire as seen below. This does not happen with the 7 year fire trick.

Relightable? : Yes

Technique 2
Follow the above tutorial through to the placement of the wheat farm. Instead of the farm, place a woodcutter's hut.

Now place pitch next to the hut and set it alight.

Delete the Wooden gatehouses and wooden platform in sequence. This will delete the entire woodcutters hut.

Advantages : Will produce no unusable footprint!

Disadvantages :Can only be lit in the editor not in game. Fire sprites last only 3 years 6 months, No core fire.

Relightable? : No

Solid information is always good and both techniques do work so it is good to have them both together in one thread.

Regards,
UU

[This message has been edited by UnikUnok (edited 06-17-2007 @ 11:05 PM).]

posted 06-17-07 22:34 EST (US)     27 / 27  
This trick would be very nice if used on one of those "Volcano" economic maps in conjunction with a 7-year till defeat deadline.

That's something I'd like to see.

Known elsewhere as Planewalker.
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » 7 year fire trick!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames