You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum
Moderated by ericgolf, Lady Arcola, peter2008, Lord Michael I, Lord_of_Hell

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: scripting - special actions?
posted 09-03-09 07:01 EST (US)   
Me again, I hope it does not annoy you, but one thing answered, next comes up.

I am working my way through “course about scripting“ which does show some interesting possibilities.

I also hoped the “scripting course” would give me an idea on how to change the „script“ of a scenario, but it “only” explains the use of the existing editor.

But I would like to know if there is any way one can trigger „actions“ that do not exist – or dont seem to exist - in the editor.

In Mission 11 of the military campain, for example, crossbows become available at a certain date in the middle of the game... how can this be done? From the scenario editor you dont get a clue, as it seems to be simply an Autostop condition triggering “crossbows available” action.

I cant find out how to put that action in – no matter how many wolfs sleep or awake on my map ... where is the action “whatever available”?

Is it available to us? And are there more tutorials on scripting? Love this one, would like to learn more.

Thank you again for your time
Beatrice
Replies:
posted 09-03-09 08:36 EST (US)     1 / 6  
Unfortunately, the only 'Whatever available' event is the crossbow available, and yes it is not directly available to us in the editor. There are several ways to get this event and others, (including the very useful cede castle event.) The easiest way is to download a template map that contains the special event(s) you need for a map from the utilities section of the downloads. You can also make a copy of the mission with the event you want by going into the stronghold map folder and making a copy of a mission with the desired event. Then it will show up in the editor and you can wipe the map clean and start over, and you will have a blank map with a special event. The hardest way to get the event(s) you want is by using t-search as described here. Doing this can be hard and not recommended unless you need an event in a map that you didn’t start with the correct template.

Hope this helps

"You see things; and say, 'Why' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" - George Bernard Shaw

My First Map - "The Scottish Regalia"

[This message has been edited by Josh2013 (edited 09-03-2009 @ 08:38 AM).]

posted 09-03-09 11:12 EST (US)     2 / 6  
VERY helpful, yes, thank you.

A pitty I dont want crossbows available half way - not on this map, anyway, I was hoping it could be done with other things...

But thanks for the tip with the available templates or emptying existing maps, I will have them in mind when beginning new maps - and I might try the hex editor trick anway - you never know when you need it.

Isnt it a shame? Could be such a nice thing to have your people "develop" or have them find or steal "secrets" of producing weapons or other things from the enemy...

With all this info on these pages one starts to think everything is possible

But there are some limits, after all

Just curiousity - does any one know what

"17-Unknown Mission Special" and "Actions 32-39" would be?

Also, what are "Auto Binks" (ON OFF)?

Thanks again
Beatrice
posted 09-03-09 12:19 EST (US)     3 / 6  
Glad I could help

I'm currently working on a map in which you need to prove you are worthy and fight in the name of god by geting 60 pop with 40% blessed, then some monks will give you the crossbow disign. I have a thread describing it in the map room.

If I had to guess, the mission special would be the event when you give the snake ale he gives you troops, but Im not sure. Auto-binks I would guess have something to do with the triggering of events. No clue with events 32-39 sorry.

"You see things; and say, 'Why' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?'" - George Bernard Shaw

My First Map - "The Scottish Regalia"
posted 09-04-09 15:49 EST (US)     4 / 6  
Yes, something like that was the general idea.

But in my case it would not have been crossbows but something else...

I am working on a map in which people can do magic (or at least that is what the story says if I ever manage to write it).

They only have bows and spears, no crossbows (crossbows mean armour etc, and I dont want them to have that)

But it is not of utmost importance, they can now do whatever they need to do from the beginning - but with limited recourses. The magic in it will just need a bit imagnation from the player

Thank you very much for the answer regarding mission special.

I might try what these unnamed events are with the hex editor method – when I find the time. Right now, I am busy testing the script as it is ... I will let you know if I find out.

Best, Beatrice
posted 09-06-09 10:12 EST (US)     5 / 6  
Just curiousity - does any one know what

"17-Unknown Mission Special" and "Actions 32-39" would be?

Also, what are "Auto Binks" (ON OFF)?
I don't know either.

(I take it these are from the FireFly mission 17?)

If you find out what they are let us know
I am working on a map in which people can do magic (or at least that is what the story says if I ever manage to write it).
I look forward to seeing it when you are ready. Please show us in the Maproom when you feel ready
posted 09-08-09 12:07 EST (US)     6 / 6  
Hi ericgolf

Thank you - first draft is shown in the map room now. Did therefore not have time to check on the special events, but of course I will let you all know if I find something out.

Best
Beatrice
Stronghold 2 » Forums » Stronghold and Crusader: Scenario Design and Modding Forum » scripting - special actions?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Stronghold 2 | HeavenGames