Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: -Modding with Paint?!- A Tutorial
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 16  Next Page »
posted 07-07-05 04:37 PM EDT (US)   
-Modding with Paint?!- A Tutorial

by Brownboot

Hereby presenting a tutorial on the many functions and uses of paint and its mighty artistical prowess in the creation of mods for SWGB, AoK, and many other fine 2d comptuer games. This tutorial will walk you through the step by step creation of a Coruscant Guard.(see below)

Chapter 1 is now availible in PDF format! (1 meg file)

------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 2

Part 1: Slp Wrangling.

As we established throughout chapter 1, the grid is your friend. Its like a little safety grid, and soon you will start feeling bad and frequently assuming the fetal position whilst away from your grid. As I wouldn't want this to hapen to any of you....often >}, we shall continue the grid action. We need some info first. Basically it goes like this.

First things first, we need to know how many frames each animation needs to be...

Quickly to the SLP listings! (HCD logo flys in then out in classic batman style)

Ok, we're replacing the GE Mounted Trooper. So the slps we'll be dealing with our #'s: 1145, 1146, 1147, 1148, 1149. Now each slp's listing looks like this.

Quote:

1145 60 GE ATTACKING MOUNTED_TROOPER

We see that the second # is the # of frames in the total animation. And there are 5 different angles in each animation set, if you will. So with a little math (60/5=12) we know there are 12 frames in our attacking animation. Go ahead and figure this out for all of the animations.

In my case I have:

Attacking 12
Dying 14
Standing 10
Decaying 5
Walking 15

This is a lot more than your average trooper would have, in all respects.

Now we'll set up a new set of grids for each animation.

Part 2: The Animatrix

Except this one has less anime, so its much much better. Because anime is the downfall of the western world, along with hiphop/rap. Absolute rubbish. Anyway.

Ok. I'll just who you what the attacking grid should look like, thats an easy way to describe it.

Naturally the top frames of every animation will be your neutral frames. That's why we did them first. Now we just have to fill every frame of every grid with a unit . Now you're beginning to feel overwhelmed and the grid isn't doint it for you is it? Well pry yourself out of the fetal position I've got a way to remove some of the pain.

Seriously though, this is why paint is retarded. Cause there are 265 frames in the Mounted Trooper unit. Its 245 frames for a trooper recruit. And you'll drawing most of every frame by hand or moving pieces of your neutral frame around (that's why we did the seperate sections, so when the arms move we know what to draw his side like).

Make sense?

Now, just like the neutral frames we'll start with the Iso Toward frame. Mostly because its a beast and getting it out of the way is nice. But as you'll soon find with animating everything is a beast, and it never gets easy.

Part 3: Principls of animation.

You probably remember those little animated stick figures I drew (flashback ripples) that I then compiled as a gif to figure out the pose I wanted? This is highly useful in the animation stage. But if you're lacking the software/prowess to attempt somethign like that the next best thing is... well you. You get to be your own armature. Get in front of a big mirror, or set up a camera and tape yourself. Try out a bunch of actions that you have in mind for what the animation might look like, and try it from the approximate angles the unit will do. This will let you see how you move, which is really important.

Movement is a lot more subtle than you think. There is a whole lot to a walking animation, your hands sway opposite your strides to keep your balance, theres some bob when both your legs are fully extended, shoulder and hip twist... all of this needs to be considered to pull off a convincing animation. For troopers, think about how you'd start at your neutral frame pose and then pull your gun up fire and recover fromt he recoil. RECOIL. RECOIL! RECOIL I SAY! Guns bite back, make sure you put it in your animation, looks retarded if you don't, then people whine to me that I haven't improved the standard of modding... whine whine whine.

You really need to think about where your weight is at every point in the animation. Are you leaned forward with your weight on your left leg? That sort of thing, exaggerating weight helps animations a lot. Anticipation is also important, its the build up to an action. Like when you run, you don't just run. Theres the time when you rock back and coil up before you charge off. Make sure you think about that too.

Props dont hurt either. Even if its just a paper towel tube, it'll give you some sort of reference, toy guns are nice for guns, etc.

Well, now that you've danced around in your underwear with paper towel tubes and toy guns in front of the mirror/camera for a while you've got a pretty good idea of how to get started.

Sorry about that underwear bit, I just assumed at least one of you is incapable of dressing yourself.

Moving duely onward.

Part 4: Time to draw!

Quick grab your armature/video/mirror and start drawing that Iso Toward frame. We've already talked about how to draw the other frames based on this one, once you get all the Iso Towards done, just draw out your reference lines and do the other angles. I'll post updates as my progress continues. Good luck and keep working .

CURRENT STATUS:

Hard Core Designs

[This message has been edited by Brownboot (edited 08-26-2006 @ 12:30 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-07-05 05:02 PM EDT (US)     1 / 393  
Brownboot > all

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
posted 07-07-05 05:42 PM EDT (US)     2 / 393  
What I like about this tutorial is that we'll have a new mod by the end of it.
posted 07-07-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     3 / 393  

Quote:

What I like about this tutorial is that we'll have a new mod by the end of it.

Lol maybe. It takes an eternity to make mods by hand. Odds are I'll start it in paint then walk through the rendering process through a 3d version to finish it up and compare the two.

posted 07-07-05 06:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 393  
*Screams and runs around in circles*

NO ALGEBRA AND GEOMETRY HAVE USEFUL APPLICATIONS!!!!

*Screams NO!! in Luke Skywalker whiny voice*

BTW that was the beast freakin' tutorial I have ever read!

posted 07-07-05 09:09 PM EDT (US)     5 / 393  
Nice work, Brownboot. *wild applause*

Zaarin | Creator of Coruscant Life SE
deviantArt | New Campaign Coming Soon
"But if of ships I now should sing, what ship would come to me,
What ship would bear me ever back across so wide a Sea?”

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
posted 07-07-05 09:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 393  
Thanks guys I'm working on Ep2 atm :P.

TCP that bit about the angles will help you in 3d mods too. Just make an image with a single line running along at the right slope and make it a viewport background then rotate your object/camera whichever is easier to match the object's center axis along that line. Make sense? Sometimes that's easier than getting the angles right on your camera.

posted 07-07-05 09:36 PM EDT (US)     7 / 393  
Haha, this is great! I petition that this should be stickied. It will stop noobs from saying "HELP I ONLY HAVE PAINT HELP!!!!11"

I also thought it was funny and entertaining to read. Well done

₪══════Freelance Forever!══════₪
▓┼┼┼H@ñ Kãtã®n 4²5┼┼┼▓
▓┼┼Father of Ðark Forces ┼┼▓
₪════════════════════════════════₪
The ability to destroy a planet is insignifigant next to the taste of a kiwi.

posted 07-07-05 10:02 PM EDT (US)     8 / 393  
Episode 2 is posted. The head is far from done but my carpel tunnel is flairing up :P...

[This message has been edited by Brownboot (edited 07-07-2005 @ 10:03 PM).]

posted 07-07-05 10:13 PM EDT (US)     9 / 393  
Very nice Brownboot. . . very nice.

Galactic_Warrior

Yes. . . I'm still alive
posted 07-07-05 11:24 PM EDT (US)     10 / 393  
I vote for this to be Articled!

Great guide Brownboot, this even helps me.

posted 07-07-05 11:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 393  

Quote:

TCP that bit about the angles will help you in 3d mods too. Just make an image with a single line running along at the right slope and make it a viewport background then rotate your object/camera whichever is easier to match the object's center axis along that line. Make sense? Sometimes that's easier than getting the angles right on your camera.

Indeed, I decided that instead of figuring out the backwards ass camera, I just applied the grid and looked a pixels for the new diagonals (not the current ones available in the thread).

"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
posted 07-08-05 07:00 AM EDT (US)     12 / 393  
Great tutorial browns. Make sure to send me the base code when you get online, ill put it on the HCD network.

When the hell are you going to sig Hard Core Designs foo'

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 07-08-05 09:20 AM EDT (US)     13 / 393  
Thanks all. I'll try to have the torso done and the head pretty close to done tonight with more timelapse footage.

Is there anything someone feels I'm leaving out or wants to see more or anything of?

posted 07-08-05 10:55 AM EDT (US)     14 / 393  
Very good. It helped much but some things are explained goods but some are known only to englishmen not polish.
posted 07-08-05 11:14 AM EDT (US)     15 / 393  
That's cool! Good job.

Quote:

Brownboot > all

:| Darth Bandon |:
:| Free Lance |:
posted 07-08-05 11:17 AM EDT (US)     16 / 393  
Sorry about that Gherrick I guess it is not very non-english friendly. If you have any questions ask me.
posted 07-08-05 01:02 PM EDT (US)     17 / 393  
Man, I know you just wanted to write a good tutorial about modding with Paint, and you've certainly succeeded to that effect, but I really hope you finish this Coruscant Security Guard mod. It's looking very good as of right now.
posted 07-08-05 03:19 PM EDT (US)     18 / 393  
I followed most of Part I's instructions and I came up with this;

Padme: Naboo Pilot [Episode II]

Captain Typho [Episode II]

It could use some final touches on the head... but I'm to lazy.

Good job on those intructions Brownboot!

(FRAMES MADE IN 30 MINUTES)

[This message has been edited by Lord Plagueis (edited 07-09-2005 @ 03:59 AM).]

posted 07-08-05 03:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 393  
That's awesome. Maybe I'll do the Queen's handmaidens TPM, or maybe the Handmaiden from KOTOR2...

"And now the moon, earth's friend, that cared so much/for us, and cared so little, comes again—/always a stranger!"--Robert Lowell, "The Public Garden"
posted 07-08-05 04:12 PM EDT (US)     20 / 393  
This DEFINATELY needs a sticky.

posted 07-08-05 04:31 PM EDT (US)     21 / 393  
Plagueis that looks great. Excellent job. I'm working on the next part tonight, mostly it'll just be more timelapse of my making the rest of the guard, with a few more advanced shading pointers I think you'll find useful. That really is great though. Two thumbs up.
posted 07-08-05 04:50 PM EDT (US)     22 / 393  
Congrats on getting stickied Browboot. Maybe when the tutorial is complete I'll be able to make the mod I'm thinking of. *declares July 8th Brownboot Day*

posted 07-08-05 05:27 PM EDT (US)     23 / 393  
Added a bit more. I didn't get noise covered as thoroughly as I wanted to. There'll be a LOT more color theory stuff in the next post. It'll be really good. Thanks for the good reviews guys.
posted 07-08-05 08:57 PM EDT (US)     24 / 393  
Congrats on being stickied. It doesn't happen to many.

₪══════Freelance Forever!══════₪
▓┼┼┼H@ñ Kãtã®n 4²5┼┼┼▓
▓┼┼Father of Ðark Forces ┼┼▓
₪════════════════════════════════₪
The ability to destroy a planet is insignifigant next to the taste of a kiwi.

posted 07-09-05 09:00 AM EDT (US)     25 / 393  
Cool! Episode 3! YEAH!!!

PS: Brownboot, drop by the CLONE Theard Thread to see the Shaded version of the ARC Heavy Gunner!

====:[ BODiN ]:====
====:[ Space Commander|Core Conquest ]:====
====:[ EAW DEMO Modding Guide for Newbies ]:====
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 16  Next Page »
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » -Modding with Paint?!- A Tutorial
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames