You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mod Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 07-25-05 05:32 PM EDT (US)   

Modifcation Frequently Asked Questions

Introduction
Hello, and welcome to my new version of the Mod FAQ. I wrote the basics of this awhile back, but to be honest it wasn’t really satisfactory. So I have re-written it. I went through the whole of the Mod Help thread and took each question out. If you have a question which needs answering, ask it here and I will answer it, as well as add it to the list. Well, happy reading.

What does this “Mod Editor” do exactly?
Well, the Mod Editor is the main tool used in modding. It allows you to compile all the aspects of your mod into one, easy to install pack. A .mpi file. You can add a read me file, your graphics, sounds, icons, genie and more here, so it’s a great tool. The program was designed by Ykkrosh, a good old member of the community who most of you will never of heard of.

How do I get these mods to work after I‘ve actually installed them?
Once there installed, that’s just it, no more work! They should appear in the campaign you downloaded them for, or in the scenario editor if you just downloaded them for fun. There really is no more work. They will have replace the unit that is said in the read me file.

where should I put these .mpi Files?
It doesn’t really matter, put them in a folder somewhere of your choice. I prefer to name my folder “Download Modpacks” for easy reference, but it doesn’t really matter. Once you have them in a folder, just open them up in your mod installer and wham your ready to go.

How do you load a picture into 3Dmax and change it (like colour it or something)?
3ds Max is a 3d software, it is not designed for 2d editing. If you are wanting to do 2d editing, I would advise Photoshop or something similar. If you can’t get a hold of these, you will have to use paint.

How do I extract the graphics into a mod?
1. use the drs viewer to find the .slp you want to extract.
2. extract it.
3. use the mod editor to view the .slp file.
4. convert it to a bitmap format by using the option provided.
5. then simply edit the bitmaps in paint or a similar software.

I made my mod with the latest mod editor. When I tried to install it, it said it was a corrupted mpi file and that I needed the most recent mod editor, How can I fix this?
There are many reasons why this may happen. Quite often you have not generated the data for your graphics, go back and generate the Data. Or it could be you did not include a word file for a read me.

With the mod editor, is there anyway to remove all mods without reinstalling the game?
Im afraid not, it is a problem with the mod editor which at this point in time can not be fixed. You will have to reinstall your game, make sure to back up your Scenarios and Campaigns first if you need to however.

What are some other programs I can use to mod?
There are many programs you can use to mod. Though there are only a few which are free. If you’re willing to spend money, my best choice would be 3ds max which is a 3d software, or Photoshop a great 2d editor which is defiantly worth looking into. if not Gmax may be the best choice for you, or even wings 3d which is preferred by some.

Is there a way to change unit name's without using the resource hacker?
yes, there are other programs but in my opinion resource hacker is best. If you’re a good scenario designer however you could always do it with that, but if your compiling it as a mod I would suggest to stick with resource hacker.

Can you use mods and AI files in multiplayer games?
Yes you can, as long as they do not have any genie editing included with them.

When you make mods of buildings or other things, sometimes they go off there spot, how do I fix that?
The building must not have been anchored correctly, this is quite easy to adjust. Go into your mod editor and change the anchor by selecting the center spot of your building when the graphics window is up.

Where can you get the mod editor and drs viewer?

Mod Editor - Here

DRS/SLP Viewer - Here

I have seen on the tutorial page something about "poser" Where could I get it? and is it free?
Sadly no it is not free. But you can download the demos and buy poser at Curious Labs. I believe the most recent version is 6.

How do I edit some existing mods?
To edit existing mods are exactly the same as editing ones originally with the game. Just look for the slp number they replace. I advise checking for permission from the original author however before you edit and release a mod of someone else’s work.

When I install my mod it makes all the text on the buttons in the game disappear I suspect that it is something with the dll change but I can't figure what. How do I fix it?
It will most likely be your language.dll file. It is probably not reading it correctly. I advise reverting back to your original language file and starting over, its not worth the hassle of fiddling with the messed up one.

how do you get my DRS files into the viewer for uh, viewing?
Click File, then Open, and select the correct DRS file (for graphics, you want GRAPHICS_x1.DRS or GRAPHICS.DRS depending if you have clone campaigns installed or not).

Do you know if there is any way to mod on a Macintosh (Apple Mac)?
I’m afraid at this point in time its not possible due to the programs being designed around windows. However, it may become possible some time in the future. Who knows.

Is there any way to make a unit that shoots ground and air?
I’m afraid I’m not a big genie editor, I would advise asking someone such as Santhos or Mandalorian as they have a better knowledge to answer Genie questions than me.

where can I get a program to modify the .slx files?
The Mod Editor is the only program that can edit .slx files (apart from a text/hex editor). To edit the actual bitmap files that the .slx ties in with you can use Paint, Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, pretty much any 2d graphics editor. You can use paint to edit the frames, most other programs cost a lot of money sadly.

I have downloaded the mod editor but what program do I put it in?
The mod editor is a program, just double click on it to open it.

I want to extract an icon from a mod, but that icon doesn't appear in the DRS viewer. How do I get that icon?
Have a look again in your DRS file, if you can’t find it your probably looking in the wrong one. Just have a double check.

Does anybody know where the graphics are for the terrain is?
Yes, the DRS file is located in the directory you installed your game, then Game\Data\terrain.drs .

Where Can you get Gmax?
It is a available for download at http://www.turbosquid.com/gmax. I would also advise downloading the help files and tutorials as they can be extremely handy when you are starting out.

I have animated my character but how do I get the frames for it so it can go in the game?
You must render your frames. If that is not possible, print screen them. The button for print screening is normally located near Number Lock. Then simply paste into paint. Repeat this for each frame.

How do I uninstall mods?
Click the “*remove last Mod*” button on the right hand side of your Mod Installer. It should be located there.

How do I take a screenshot?
Press the Print Screen button on your keyboard. It is normally located near Number Lock. Press Ctrl-F12 to take a screenshot of the entire map. The screenshots will appear in the Screenshots folder which will be in the directory you installed your game into.

Ending
If you think the text is to small, simply press ctrl + mouse scroll to enlarge it. If you can’t find the answer to your question here, why not post it in this topic. Ill answer your question and update the list. If you have found the answer, good luck with the progress on your project! If you need to contact me personally, email me at nick-pellant@hardcoredesigns.co.uk and ill get back to you as soon as possible. If you have any suggestions on guides which need writing, make sure to tell me. I hope you found this useful.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004

[This message has been edited by Blood Phoenix (edited 05-24-2006 @ 11:06 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-25-05 05:49 PM EDT (US)     1 / 68  
Hot. Very, very hot. This should get linked in the how to mod article.
posted 07-25-05 06:00 PM EDT (US)     2 / 68  
Or it could be stickied. Tons of people ask "where should I put the MPI files?", or "how do I install mods?" in the mod help thread, so the same question has to be answered tons of times.

Sarthos |Sovereign of Syrup
Uber_Mod_Project | Military Dictator of Modpack Discussion
Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
Pfft. We all know Merai is so liberal that he uses his left hand. :p - Moff
Lady Gaga is a genius, actually - Crazed Ewok
posted 07-25-05 06:13 PM EDT (US)     3 / 68  
Sticky this imidiatly. Another great tutorial by BP!

" Well, I'll go back in time and prevent Ledger from ODing. If the movie is still as acclaimed, then I'll go back again, stop myself from stopping him, and let time proceed normally." - Moff Yittreas
"Map design is what you do in the scn editor, eye candy is the stuff I'm not allowed to link to on these forums." - The Legend
"Someone has to play the asshole in these type of threads." - Blackmoon

+1 Post Count
posted 07-25-05 06:15 PM EDT (US)     4 / 68  
Cheers guys, do any of you have suggestions on guides which need writing? I'm hoping to get Moaner to Master 2 out soon, maybe tommorow. The reason I'm doing this is because i want to make SWGB alive again, and tutorials can really inspire you

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 07-25-05 06:19 PM EDT (US)     5 / 68  
Perhaps some people could use a guide to buildings...Or maybe a simple AI guide...

Winner of the true Canadian Fourmer Award for going above and beyond the call of being Canadian.
Winner of the EoD award for the most pointless attempt to prove some one wrong at the expense of his own health
posted 07-25-05 07:01 PM EDT (US)     6 / 68  
A building tutorial really would'nt work, as all buildings are designed unique. I'm not really qualifed for a A.I guide, as a modder not a scenario designer. Ill do my Moaner To Master guide 2 for now, and get that up soon.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 07-26-05 09:46 AM EDT (US)     7 / 68  
Hoo ra stickied!. Man, just call HCD the design group of tutorials and articles :P.
posted 07-26-05 08:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 68  
New banner/logo added.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 08-09-05 04:22 AM EDT (US)     9 / 68  
...santhos?

Boba Fettucinni said "Just a note to all.. Alexus is a masculine name as well. In fact it is Second Declension Masculine, Nominative Singular (meaning its a masculine noun, and thats the case used to make a singular subject in a sentence)in Latin."

I'M BACK MELONFARMERS
posted 08-09-05 01:25 PM EDT (US)     10 / 68  
Yes.

posted 08-09-05 03:48 PM EDT (US)     11 / 68  
A good idea might be to add the solutions to things like the Runtime 52 error.
posted 08-09-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     12 / 68  
BP gets a sticky, then rapes it with HCD logos ... *Starts HG Freemasonary* ...
posted 08-09-05 04:26 PM EDT (US)     13 / 68  
I'm speaking to AoErat about combining this with the Mod Help thread so that i can answer questions and add them. So hopefully this will be done soon.

B L O O D P H O E N I X
Lurking at HG since 2004
posted 08-11-05 12:45 PM EDT (US)     14 / 68  
Just something i was wondering about - Can you make a mod that can change or make new player colours ?
posted 08-11-05 12:48 PM EDT (US)     15 / 68  
no, unless you make the colour on the mod, but you wudnt then be able to change it.

LightSide
"Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
----------NLD | Lightsabre Skills: Jedi Master | Master Yoda----------

[This message has been edited by Light Side (edited 08-11-2005 @ 12:55 PM).]

posted 08-11-05 12:51 PM EDT (US)     16 / 68  
Actually Lightside, your wrong (In some ways). Someone made a mod for AoK once, which changed purple to black. I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would probably be a conversion if it was. (You'd have to change all buildings, units, everything).

And Lightside, please stop saying 'u' all the time. It's n00bish.

posted 08-11-05 12:56 PM EDT (US)     17 / 68  
but the colours are within the game arnt they? you cant replace them in the mod itself, not from what ive seen

LightSide
posted 08-16-05 08:41 AM EDT (US)     18 / 68  
All the mod programs work on my computer except for the mod installer. Whenever I click on it, it comes up with a runtime error '53'. Does anyone know why?
posted 08-16-05 08:43 AM EDT (US)     19 / 68  
no, have you tried the mod installer advanced instead. that might be better for you

LightSide
posted 08-18-05 09:34 AM EDT (US)     20 / 68  
I've tried both
posted 08-18-05 10:08 AM EDT (US)     21 / 68  

Quote:

Error 53 is the file not found error. Unfortunately, the Mod Installer Advanced still only works with the Clone Campaigns expansion. There's no current solution to this error other than persuading Mace to alter the program (or buying CC).

-----------:::(=Devious=):::-----------
posted 08-31-05 06:59 PM EDT (US)     22 / 68  
Yes, you can change and add new player colors.

HOW DO YOU USE THE FIX PURPLE BORDER TOOL?

posted 09-01-05 06:03 AM EDT (US)     23 / 68  
How do i add NEW Plyer Colours!!!

Current Project- The New Threat
posted 09-01-05 09:32 AM EDT (US)     24 / 68  
With genied.

posted 10-24-05 00:36 AM EDT (US)     25 / 68  
This FAQ assumes we all know what a Mod Installer is or where to find one. We don't.
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Mod Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames