You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Modpack Discussion
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Halo Mod Conversion
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 88  Next Page »
posted 08-05-05 09:25 PM EDT (US)   
Halo Mod Conversion

Please, read a sizable portion of the thread before replying!

I've gotten several questions that are already answered in this first post, so please, read the whole thing. And the rest of the thread, because some of those questions get answered a lot, as well, even if they're not up here.

Second thing I'd like to say is yes, this will add NEW CIVs. These will not replace anything. That way you can, as someone further down said, slice Stormtroopers to pieces with Covenant Zealots.

Now, to the meat of the post:

Good day, good eve, good morn. That should cover everything, aye? As you may have guessed from the title of this post, this is the "official" thread in which we will post updates, screenshots, etc. for the Halo conversion that we have begun. For starters, I shall post our current units list. Please make any suggestions you happen to think of: We are open to them, and will listen.

We are also looking for anyone with modding experience. Modeling, spriting, genie editing, scenarios, whatever, we need help.

I'd post a list of our team members, except that I haven't seen half of'em since I met'em, and I don't know who's doing what.

Update #1

Bitmap added.

Update 2

We've decided to add the Heretics as a civilization. We've decided to add the Heretics as a civilization. They will be completely different from the normal Covenant, apart from a few shared units(though all will have a new colour scheme). The strength of the Heretics comes not from elite individual units, like UNSC, or massive numbers and advanced technology, like the Covenant, but from guerilla tactics. Their buildings will be much cheaper, apart from weaker, and they will have no need of power cores. Their main base will be mobile(if it proves possible in Genie Editor), and most of their aerial vehicles must be stolen by specially trained hijackers. The Heretics will give the game a total of three new civilizations with noticably different playing styles.

Update 3

I'm adding a list of the team members:
Myself, modeling
CommanderBly66, scenario design
Blue5, scenario design
Delta38, modeling
Lazerx7, modeling
Jedi of Pie, concept
Darth Alias, scenario design
SEV 12, modeling
Black Guard 119, Scenario Design
The Batman, Scenario Design
Appo117, Modeling

Team members still needed! We are DESPERATELY in need of a good genie editor and scenario designer!

Screenshots:

Now, for the units lists:

STARWARS: GALACTIC BATTLEGROUNDS HALO CONVERSION
UNIT CONVERSIONS:

To see the list of unit placement, go to http://www.freewebs.com/starhalo/index.htmand check the UNSC, Covenant, Heretic, and Heroes pages.

IMPORTANT!!! A new Halogrounds forum is up! It is still under construction, but soon, we will have complete unit replacement lists, team lists, and places for the public to post opinions on the mod. Join up and post! http://www.halogrounds.createmybb.com/

Halo, Master Chief, and other related material copyright of Microsoft, all used for non-proffit intentions.

One bright day, in the middle of the night, two dead boys stood up to fight. Back to back, they faced each other. Drew their swords, and shot each other. The deaf policeman heard the sound, and put those boys back in the ground. If you don't believe this lie is true, ask Harry the blind man, he saw it, too.
http://www.freewebs.com/starhalo/index.htm

[This message has been edited by SPARTAN 058 (edited 09-17-2006 @ 05:54 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-05-05 09:46 PM EDT (US)     1 / 2192  
Covenant Heroes - Tartarus. Make him or die And why not have Elites as soon of the units?

Theo
Last.fm Twitter

"Shut up Herr." - Arkhane
posted 08-05-05 09:52 PM EDT (US)     2 / 2192  
Don't even know why I forgot him.

*adds Tartarus*

Oh, and the Elites ARE usable. No one ever seems to notice that: Look at the Fortress units, the Elites are the Bounty Hunters.

EDIT: I have Tartarus, gee. Not only do people not read the fort units, they don't read the heroes, either. >.<

One bright day, in the middle of the night, two dead boys stood up to fight. Back to back, they faced each other. Drew their swords, and shot each other. The deaf policeman heard the sound, and put those boys back in the ground. If you don't believe this lie is true, ask Harry the blind man, he saw it, too.

[This message has been edited by SPARTAN 058 (edited 08-05-2005 @ 09:53 PM).]

posted 08-05-05 10:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 2192  
For the Anti-Air Mobile, you could have a moving version of the Shade turret (I think that's the name) from the first Halo. And obviously, you could use that for the two kinds of turrets as well. And I'll ask the obvious question....which civs will these replace? There. I asked. Now no one else has to.
posted 08-05-05 11:00 PM EDT (US)     4 / 2192  
SCREENIE SCREENIE MASTER CHEIF MASTER CHEIF......................

"Fat chicks need love too,they just gotta pay"Glen Quagmire
"I just hope it's him in that box because if it's me again i'm gonna be pissed."Peter Griffin
"Peter the National symbol for a balloon on a mailbox is.......PARTY OVER HERE."Cleveland
posted 08-05-05 11:08 PM EDT (US)     5 / 2192  
No screens yet, we haven't even STARTED the mod. I'm learning how to make 3D models next week, we might have something then.

As for the AAM thing, that sounds good.

Hehe, I keep forgetting to say, we haven't even thought about the navy yet.

And as for the civs, we're making these as extra civs, they won't replace anyone.

[This message has been edited by SPARTAN 058 (edited 08-05-2005 @ 11:09 PM).]

posted 08-05-05 11:22 PM EDT (US)     6 / 2192  
Well, since you have grunts with fuel rod cannons as anti-air units, why not use a grunt with a plasma grenade as the grenade trooper? Also, maybe you could throw a flood in there some where, it will help for Halo 1 or 2 campaigns. Hope that helped.
posted 08-05-05 11:34 PM EDT (US)     7 / 2192  
Well, since there are two Fuel Rods in the Haloverse: The one in Halo, and the one in H2, and they both behave differently: Halo fires in an arc, and in H2, Grunts actually use them against you in an AA manner, I decided that would work. Besides, Grunts can't throw Plasma Grenades that far.

[This message has been edited by SPARTAN 058 (edited 08-06-2005 @ 12:57 PM).]

posted 08-05-05 11:39 PM EDT (US)     8 / 2192  
True, true. But what about the flood? perhaps a hero unit? By the way this looks pretty cool.
posted 08-06-05 00:38 AM EDT (US)     9 / 2192  
I'm glad to hear these are extra civs. The reason I assumed they replaced civs was the "conversion" in the title, which implied you'd be converting a civ instead of adding one. My apologies.

As for the plasma grenades, you don't think they could throw a plasma grenade as far as the grenade trooper launches one? Honestly, I don't have too much experience with grenade troopers, but I would think that it couldn't be that different.

The Flood would be best as hero units (or non-civ units like the Ewoks). You could even make Flood in ghosts, warthogs, etc. Even the little snots could be like Medics that heal wounded Flood like in Halo 2.

posted 08-06-05 02:09 AM EDT (US)     10 / 2192  
Well, it's a conversion from Starwars to Halo.

The Flood, we're not sure yet. I had thought to put them as unbuildable units, like the Ewoks or Red Guard, because there aren't enough kinds to warrant a whole civ for them. One of the team members had an idea that the Flood would have the ability to turn infantry, like a Jedi Knight, that would be a way of infecting them.

As for the grenades, all of the grenade troopers in the original game are using mortars of some sort. No way a Grunt could hurl a grenade as far as a mortar, and besides, I personally don't want the fuel rod gun to be an anti-air thing only. It's like the Hailfire Droid: It's supposed to scare both land AND aircraft, but they're really just dumb lookin' in an actual game. And since you don't use very many aircraft in Halo, that'd really diminish the scare factor of the FRG, which is supposed to be the Covies' most powerful ground weapon.

posted 08-06-05 07:20 AM EDT (US)     11 / 2192  

Quote:

One of the team members had an idea that the Flood would have the ability to turn infantry, like a Jedi Knight, that would be a way of infecting them.

To be honest that could (and I think should) be done via scenario/campaign. So that when a flood 'converts' a unit they will turn into flood also.

Quote:

As for the grenades, all of the grenade troopers in the original game are using mortars of some sort. No way a Grunt could hurl a grenade as far as a mortar

Is it possible to use GenieEd to modify how many map units a grenade can be 'thrown'?

Quote:

I personally don't want the fuel rod gun to be an anti-air thing only. It's like the Hailfire Droid: It's supposed to scare both land AND aircraft, but they're really just dumb lookin' in an actual game. And since you don't use very many aircraft in Halo, that'd really diminish the scare factor of the FRG, which is supposed to be the Covies' most powerful ground weapon.

Do you remember the 'scaryneighbor' cheat? That had ani-air and anti-infantry capabilities.

Also are you able to modify the blue elites bounty unit for a melee attack rather than a blaster? Are you going to incorporate cloaked elites?

posted 08-06-05 07:29 AM EDT (US)     12 / 2192  
JonathanPipe to the MEC Picture thread, that's JonathanPipe to the MEC Picture thread. Thank-you.
posted 08-06-05 07:32 AM EDT (US)     13 / 2192  
Err Okay Scarlet...
posted 08-06-05 10:17 AM EDT (US)     14 / 2192  
"To be honest that could (and I think should) be done via scenario/campaign. So that when a flood 'converts' a unit they will turn into flood also."

I dunno if it's possible to make them turn into Flood themselves, but it will preserve the Flood's basic nature of turning your allies against you.

"Is it possible to use GenieEd to modify how many map units a grenade can be 'thrown'?"

It likely is, but that's beside the point. It doesn't make any sense for the Grunts to be hurling grenades, partly because I don't think a Grunt has as many grenades as a grenade trooper is going to through in two seconds, but mainly because I like the Fuel Rod Gun, it's tailor made for this specific job, and there are two versions of it already.

"Do you remember the 'scaryneighbor' cheat? That had ani-air and anti-infantry capabilities."

Ah, no, I didn't use any cheats. >.> *small voice* except for the Death Star.

"Also are you able to modify the blue elites bounty unit for a melee attack rather than a blaster? Are you going to incorporate cloaked elites?"

No, the reason we put them as Bounty Hunters was the fact that the Blue elites are the ones with Plasma Rifles.

We WILL incorporate cloaking, sort of. You may remember the Jedi ability, I have forgotten its name, but when the Jedi is attacking or moving, it can be seen, but otherwise, it is invisible? I think we could modify that to only when attacking, but when it attacks and stops attacking, it will have to wait something like 30 seconds to be invisible again. Detector units may also be a good idea.

Oh, and I've updated the Covenant units. Check the "Troop Centre" section.

posted 08-06-05 01:28 PM EDT (US)     15 / 2192  
Maybe you guys could make Cortana on a small platform as a building or something. Also, maybe a helljumper could be put somewhere in there too. Just some thoughts.
posted 08-06-05 01:56 PM EDT (US)     16 / 2192  
Alright, I'm going to just go ahead and say this: Please, read the first post before you suggest units. We HAVE a Helljumper. Orbital Drop Shock Troopers, or ODSTs, are commonly known as Helljumpers, and we have one here: It's the UNSC Bounty Hunter.

As for Cortana, I dunno what we'll do for her...we'll figure something out.

posted 08-06-05 06:30 PM EDT (US)     17 / 2192  
Cortana could be an upgrade to the Spartans (the fortress unit). It could give them stealth detection (basically, she gives him radar), range bonus (she points out enemies), and I'm sure there are other things you could do.

Point taken on the plasma grenades, but I am going to have to ask one question...how can you have a Halo mod without sticky 'nades? That's the most fun part of the game...sticking someone. I mean, couldn't you even make the animation look like it sticks? You could have it stop as soon as it hits a unit (or goes by, as blasts sometimes do) and when it explodes, that's when it registers the hit. Even if the grenade misses, it still blows up, too. It could have an "area of effect". But as someone ignorant of modding, that's a dream theory.

posted 08-06-05 09:01 PM EDT (US)     18 / 2192  
Cortana being a spartan is dumb, that should be separate. Anyway would a hologram be fighting in battle?

SEV12
Fate Of The Republic
FOTR Weapon Gaia Mod
Kote-Ures-Trattok'a
Glory-Without-Fail
For Mandalore!
posted 08-06-05 09:27 PM EDT (US)     19 / 2192  
When can we expect screenies?
posted 08-06-05 10:02 PM EDT (US)     20 / 2192  
SEV,
I wasn't suggesting Cortana be a playable unit. I was suggesting that you research "Cortana" or "A.I. Implant" to upgrade your Spartans. I know Cortana couldn't fight on her own.

Spartan,
Keep up the work on the conversion

posted 08-06-05 10:53 PM EDT (US)     21 / 2192  
Sith and Jedi: When i finish the Pillar of Autumn level, ill post some screenies, but thats for the Campain (won't contain any mods, but i might update when we do get some mods out). When Spartan learns how to use Gmax we'll begin the mods.
posted 08-07-05 11:23 AM EDT (US)     22 / 2192  
School starts Thursday for me, so my time will be very constricted. I might move my schedule ahead and learn to use GMax tomorrow or even earlier. But I will start as soon as I can.

To answer some questions: I understand what you're saying about the grenades, but they really don't fit. I do like the idea for the SPARTAN upgrade. Maybe not Cortana specifically, but "A.I. Implant" sounds really good. If we can create all these new units for a whole new civ, then we could just make Cortana herself a Hero.

Oh, and what do you think of the bitmap?

[This message has been edited by SPARTAN 058 (edited 08-07-2005 @ 11:23 AM).]

posted 08-07-05 12:54 PM EDT (US)     23 / 2192  
I thought the black armored elites were higher in rank than the silvers. The Black Commando Elites took orders only from the Prophets themselves if I recall correctly.
And what kind of range might the SPARTANs have.

"I have defied gods and demons."
"I am your shield; I am your sword."
"I know you...your past, your future."
"This is the way the world ends."
--HALO 3 (2007)--

[This message has been edited by Delta38 (edited 08-07-2005 @ 12:56 PM).]

posted 08-07-05 01:22 PM EDT (US)     24 / 2192  
Personally, I don't like Halo nor Halo 2 much, but, I think you should use the Drone as the special unit, much like Confederacy's Geonosian warrior. I just wouldn't reallly want my Drone to suddenly become a Banshee...

"You load sixteen tons and what do you get?
You get one day older and deeper in debt
Saint Peter don't you call me, 'cause I can't go
I owe my soul to the company store"-Ernie Ford
posted 08-07-05 04:14 PM EDT (US)     25 / 2192  
Fortress unit is taken by the Brutes. I can understand the feeling, but seriously, who's going to use fighters without upgrading them to Adv. Fighters in a real game? In Scenarios, it won't matter. You'll run into a Drone if that's what the level needs, a Banshee, whatever.

As to the SPARTAN range, I'm thinking that the Mk.IV SPARTANs will have an MA5/B (the assault rifle from Halo), and the Mk. VI SPARTANs will have a BR55 Battlerifle, from Halo 2. The first one will be a closer ranged weapon, while the second will be more like a Bounty Hunter's range, and a higher rate of fire.

The Special Operations Commander in Halo 2 wears silver armour, and he apears to outrank any Elite save the Arbiter, even Zealots. I think it makes sense for them to be higher-ranked...but if I find that is untrue, I will simply switch them around.

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 50 ··· 60 ··· 70 ··· 80 ··· 88  Next Page »
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Modpack Discussion » Halo Mod Conversion
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames