Scenario Design
Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: --A comprehensive Guide to making a worthwhile RPG campaign--
posted 01-19-03 11:34 PM EDT (US)   
A Comprehensive Guide to making a worthwhile RPG campaign

NOTE: READ THIS GUIDE BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS!!!

Introduction

This is your complete guide to making a worthwhile RPG campaign or senario. For starters, it must have a decent storyline that will keep players interested. You must develope the storyline through the gameplay. Your main character/characters should be thought out and developed. The senarios must be put together in a manner that players can understand what is going on. And, of course, good map design and triggerwork is required.

The Story

Any RPG must have a story behind it. The story should be well thought out before undertaking the senario creation process. For your story, you must have an exposition, a conflict, the rising action, the climax, the falling action and the resolution as with any story.

When creating the exposition, you should introduce your character(s). This part is best done in cutscene1 format. This could be done in a fashion that 2 or more of the characters get into a conversation or a character is minding his own business and BAAM! something happens to the main character. In that situation, you already have your problem established.

The rising action is really everything that happens until the biggest part of the story. This would probably be the characters journey or the problem getting worse and worse and the character trying to fight it. As this part continues, you can introduce more characters and develope more of the storyline.

The climax is the big part. Say, for example, your character is fighting some sort of archenemy throughout the rising action. The climax would be when your main character confronts this archenemy and fights him. This is the one part that will get the most atention.

The falling action is naturally everything that comes after the climax. The falling action shouldn't take to much of the story time as it is generally very short. Say you are cleaning up after confonting your enemy.

The resolution would be, of course, when the conflict has ended. All the problems go away and every one lives happily ever after.

1. cutscene: A senario or part of a senario in which the player has little/no control over the action and is generally used for dialogue between characters or showing parts of the storyline.

The character

Traditionally in an RPG, you control a single character. This character is generally elaborated on the most, although some RPG designers have made it so players control 2 or 3 or even more characters. your character needs personality, which must be reflected in the story telling.

A main enemy character should also be established and developed just as well as your main character.

The Senario/Campaign

Now that you've established your characters and storyline, now it is time for the designing stage. You need to chose a unit to use for your main character. Good choices for Jedi characters are: (R)Master Skywalker, (A)Mace Windu, (A)Anakin Skywalker, (N)Obi-Wan Kenobi, (A)Master Kenobi and (A)Gen. Echuu Shen-Jon. Good Bouty hunter characters are Quarren, (C)Jango Fett, (C)Zam Wessel, and the Aquilash. Good Smuggler/regular people are Rand Taylor, Han Solo, Dash Rendar, Kath Taylor, Zian Finnis and Twi'lek Male. Good Military command units are Moff Yittreas/Darcc, Colonel Veers, Lando Calrissian, General Jonn Dodanna, Bespin Security Guard and Captain Panaka.

Introduction of the characters should follow the guidelines of the Stroy mentioned in the above section. A good introduction of a Jedi Character would be the Jedi confering with another Jedi about whatever your future conflict will be. A good Bouty Hunter job would be the character meeting with some other character receiving a job. a good Smuggler intro would be at some public place taking with some people who want something, therefore introducing a job like the bounty hunter. A good intro for a normal person would be a person going about their business when they are attacked or some other big thing happens. A good Military intro would be your character and other characters in some command center confering about battle plans against a new enemy. These aren't how it should be done, but they are ideas.

Now your maps should be designed appropriately to your story. Space ports are generally ugly, disorganized places. The Jedi Temple is ver elegent and has numerous wandering Jedi. A street will have lots of regular people moving about it. Places where Bounty hunters get jobs should be very dark places, with few to no people around. See some of Admiral Piett's map design threads for extended information.

Cutscenes! This are absolutely nessisary for a good RPG campaign. Cutscenes are created through a series of triggers that will set your character(s) to a computer player and dialogue will play out and/or a pre arranged battle will occur. These should be used at the beginning and end of almost all of the Senarios. Some Senarios should be 100% cutscenes if you must tell such a stretch of storyline.

Your character's ingame parameters

Now, you are going to need to do some editing to the unit you choose. First off, to make the campaign entertaining, you cannot make your character Superman. what I mean by this is don't give him Supreme power over the enemy with +5000 health and +200 attack so that a single hit will wipe out any enemy. doing that will eliminate the challange. You should up his stats so that he isn't as weak as regular characters but not so much that he is impossible to beat. A good setting for any charcter is 400-600 HP and 7-9 attack.

Boss characters

These characters are also important parts of your story. These should be characters that are tougher than you but have some sort of weakness. For example, in my campaign I am currently working on, you are a charcater with a baster pistol verses an AT-ST(Heavy Strike Mech) that has 2000 HP and 27 attack. The way you beat him is to stand and let him fire then run as soon as he shoots. Since it takes time for him to shoot again, you attack during this time. The Boss charcater should be stronger and harder to beat than your character!

The End

The End of your story should be a cutscene that should go in one of 2 directions: 1, the hero character(you) succeeds in his journey and lives happily ever after or 2, the hero character dies while commiting a heroic deed. It is sort of self explainitory.

Well, feel free to ask questions AFTER you read the guide.

Generalissimo TCP | FREE SYRIA!
Xaph's Forumer of the Year '08, Best Thread and Most likely to be sigged, '08
"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
Replies:
posted 01-19-03 11:48 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
Great guide Crazy. You give good descriptions on how to make RPGs. Maybe you can add on to it over time.

Galactic_Warrior

Yes. . . I'm still alive
posted 01-20-03 09:58 AM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
Excellent guide Crazy! Also, a sugestion. Since many people look up to the greatest RPG out there, Falcon's First Flight, maybe you could match each of the storyline aspects (Climax, Rising Action, etc..) to the corresponding event in FFF. This would probably make some people understand them a little more clearly.

Great Guide! For a minute there you started to sound like my English Teacher

posted 01-20-03 10:55 AM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
Yeah, Excellent guide Crazy

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 01-20-03 11:26 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
Thanks Crazy! Now I can make better versions of my RPG campaigns! The first one for a remake will be 'On the Hunter's Trail'. Think I'll add 1 cutscene first, showing Pekt and Vader meeting. Someone sticky this !! Btw, how would you rate 'Escape from Frask' and 'On the Hunter's Trail'. Both are availiable for download here.

Tholm Mosou
Master Echuu- Tholm was one kickass scenario designer who dissapeared without a trace.
How true... how true...

[This message has been edited by Tholm Mosou (edited 01-20-2003 @ 11:28 AM).]

posted 01-20-03 11:31 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
Beautiful. Are you bucking for Cherub?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu | Weeaboo Brony Conserative - The Ultimate Foe to the Internet
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 01-20-03 12:57 PM EDT (US)     6 / 19  

Quoted from Moff Yittreas:

Beautiful. Are you bucking for Cherub?

Moff, your going to give it away!

"I think George W. Bush is closer to being the single greatest president in US history" - Merai
posted 01-20-03 12:58 PM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
When is he not? Good guide, TCP.
posted 01-20-03 05:40 PM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
Thanks people, thnaks for the support and feel free to ask questions.

posted 01-20-03 11:44 PM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
Good work TCP, excellent guide!

¦±¦- Ye Olde Technical Artist - My Portfolio -¦±¦
posted 01-21-03 00:51 AM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
good guide.

by the way, maybe the main character could be a good guy, and the rival a bad character, but try some versatile characters better. and a simple story, like the most usual, revenge, could work, but more complex stories with lots of turns are better.

and bosses shouldnt not only be better and have a different weak spot, they should differ from each other of course. so when you get to the final battle, you can have the main character fight them all again like megaman games, if anyone played em...

and please, remember no one is perfect, the good guy should make mistakes and wrong choices, or you could allow the player to make them unconciously.

and try to make secondary characters unique and let them have some personality, dont make them thugs, make them human. (or alien, whatever)

well, thats my contribution. hope you liked it. if you didnt, you know how much i care bout that.

posted 01-21-03 02:00 AM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
EXCELLENT, "Cherub" Crazy, I need this guide for Rise of the Sith campaign!!

BTW, welcome back, Pato.

=====MarshalVader=====
Darkness? Yes.
My Recommendations

posted 01-21-03 02:16 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
*bump*

Thankyou for that contribution, Pato.

posted 01-21-03 03:49 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
Do you mind if I paste this guide to Word and print it? It's very good and useful.
posted 01-21-03 05:30 PM EDT (US)     14 / 19  
I'm sure Crazy wouldn't mind

A f t y

A A R S

:: The Sun always rises in the East :: Flawless Crowns :: Dancing Days ::

"We kissed the Sun, and it smiled down upon us."
posted 01-21-03 05:40 PM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
Go ahead, Scn Jedi!

posted 01-22-03 08:12 PM EDT (US)     16 / 19  

Quote:

senario

It's as if you misspell it on purpose...

posted 01-22-03 09:06 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
Very, very good. I must point out that in a scenario that I've been working on lately, there are loads of cutscenes to provide an entertaining storyline. The character is introduced through a battle, and I made sure he had his own little 'attitude', or whatever. One of the most important things (actually, THE most important thing) is to make the campaign as a whole very interesting.

Obese
OD Core Group
posted 01-23-03 00:51 AM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
thats exactly my point. you can do a campaign with a regular gameplay, but with a good story, you can spice up practicly anything. but remember, a cut scene based campaign is complete boredom.

and no welcome backs, im still on mar del plata, but took a visit to a cyber cafe

posted 01-24-03 07:07 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
Yes, yes. A cutscene based Campaign is very boring, but sometimes alot of cutscenes are needed, as long as you recover with great gameplay.

SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » --A comprehensive Guide to making a worthwhile RPG campaign--
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames