Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Raven Studios - A Guide to get your scenario perfected
« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
posted 08-19-04 06:55 AM EDT (US)   
A GUIDE TO GET YOUR SCENARIO PERFECTED

DESCRIPTION:

I was thinking about writing this a long time; and I finally started on this. This is basically a guide to perfect your existing scenario. May it be a help to everyone .

PLAYABILITY:

Playability is the most important part of your scenario. To get a 5; your scenario must be entertaining at all points; needs to have a perfect balance and really needs alot of creativity. But remember; even if all things are not new but the scenario plays nice; the playability can still be good. Some things to make the gameplay more varied:

- Use Puzzles. Let the player think about situations.
- Use Arcade things like compacters etc.
- Use atleast one Boss Battle. Try to make it original.
- Use features that can be used in the whole scenario like Force Powers; Taunt Healing Trick and more.
- Do not overuse the shootenemy-pressbuttontoopengate-shootenemy concept.

BALANCE:

Balance is the hardest part to make; but that problem can easily be fixed by adding difficulty triggers. Remember to play your scenario on all difficulty's; and play it twice on normal. Then change things that were too hard or too easy. Remember; the harder the scenario; the more fun; but don't make it impossible.

CREATIVITY:

This area is very difficult to get a 5. Your scenario needs to have alot of new puzzles/arcade things, new features, new boss battles and more. I can't give much examples on these because creativity comes out of your mind. It isn't very creative if you copy something from here, is it .
Anyway; try to think out those things while you are mapping; because it is hard to put in new things when you completed your scenario.

MAP DESIGN:

Well here it comes. To make a good map; search the forums for some guides (like my Forest guide). To get your map perfect: try these things:

Outside:

- Use elevation! The most forgotten map thing ever. Do not forget to add this!
- Mix terrains! The area will be less blank.
- Use plants, but do not overuse them.
- Use miscalleneous things like debris etc.
- Never leave an are too blank and empty.
- Use eyecandies!

Inside:

- Use miscalleneous things like debris etc.
- Use the right walls.
- Never leave an area too blank and empty.
- Don't use the same terrain everywhere.
- Mix terrains a bit if it fits; like a little bit Metal 1 in an Metal 3 Area.

STORY:

Your story can be good; but can be strange for others. Try this:

- Have clear dialogs and have spelling checks.
- Have enough dialogue to make things clear.
- Make a short intro in the Mission Instructions screen.
- Make a cool and action filled intro movie in your scenario. The action is needed to have your cutscenes interesting.
- Don't have long cutscene's with only dialogs. It's boring.
- The more action in the cutscenes, the better.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Simply; explain all features and things. Don't give to much clues etc; the player has to think about some situations. Take the time to write the Instructions and they will be fine.

END:

I hope you like this . May it be an use to everyone; to get better scenario's.

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub

[This message has been edited by Bendak (edited 08-19-2004 @ 09:35 AM).]

Replies:
posted 08-19-04 07:10 AM EDT (US)     1 / 66  

Quote:

It isn't very creative if you copy something from here, is it

Well then Im not reading it Arent I

-----------:::(=Devious=):::-----------
posted 08-19-04 07:51 AM EDT (US)     2 / 66  

Quote:

- Don't use the same terrain everywhere.

Sory to be the bitch, but I find making bases have the same terrain everywehre makes them feel more realistic.

I personally think mixed metals (I.E mixin 1, 2 and 3) look shit, and arn't realistic at all. I mean, when in the movies do you see a star destroyer with multi-coloured metal plates?

posted 08-19-04 07:52 AM EDT (US)     3 / 66  
Lol I mean something else, fool . I mean; if I give examples to do things (like a puzzle or summin) and people copy that; it isn't creative anymore.

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 07:54 AM EDT (US)     4 / 66  
Most of your puzzles are - Open door, step on switch, activate door, etc, those puzzles. They're TEDIOUS.

EDIT: You do not need a lot of puzzles to make it a good scneriao, you can have a brilliant cutscene as the introduction and still own also, puzzles sometimes make the level boring if you overuse it.

[This message has been edited by Devious (edited 08-19-2004 @ 07:55 AM).]

posted 08-19-04 08:04 AM EDT (US)     5 / 66  

Quote:

but I find making bases have the same terrain everywehre makes them feel more realistic.

Yes, and no . Some areas can better be an other terrain. The Cantina in Rescue Mission for example.

Quote:

I personally think mixed metals (I.E mixin 1, 2 and 3) look shit, and arn't realistic at all. I mean, when in the movies do you see a star destroyer with multi-coloured metal plates?

I mean for example: Using metal 3; and sometimes a little bit from metal 1 or summin near some debris. I think you did that too .

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 08:07 AM EDT (US)     6 / 66  
Yeah I did, but I never use more than that, and that's only to represent run down or parts of a base that are more unaccesable like a maintenance shaft or summin.
posted 08-19-04 08:19 AM EDT (US)     7 / 66  
Exactly what I mean! Lol..

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 08:28 AM EDT (US)     8 / 66  
Yeah I know, I'm just confirming it
posted 08-19-04 08:37 AM EDT (US)     9 / 66  
*disintergrates topic*

Only three people have come here: Me, pinky and bendak! Come on people!

posted 08-19-04 09:30 AM EDT (US)     10 / 66  
I actually agree with Pinky's metal arguement. I suppose if the base is supposed to be junky, you could get away with mixing the metals. But if you were designing a Death Star, Star Destroyer, etc., it would look bad. I recall Tevious sticking to one metal type in each room for his SOTE level, and people were taking points off map design for it, which I thought was wrong.
posted 08-19-04 09:32 AM EDT (US)     11 / 66  
I thought the SOTE map design was really well done

posted 08-19-04 09:33 AM EDT (US)     12 / 66  
Yeah, the only thing I liked about SOTE was the map design. Tevious's maps wern't spetacularly loaded with all kinds of new eye candy, they were simple but really gave a sense of place.
posted 08-19-04 09:34 AM EDT (US)     13 / 66  
It was, but some people didn't like his indoor levels, like the Imperial Freighter.
posted 08-19-04 09:34 AM EDT (US)     14 / 66  
Fixed.

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 11:47 AM EDT (US)     15 / 66  
The guide looks OK. But I'd like to say something else:

How come you say SWGB Stealth is a 5? It doesn't have a rating.

And how come my review was taken down?

posted 08-19-04 11:53 AM EDT (US)     16 / 66  
I have two words for you Bendak.

NIC FIT.

And here's some more words...

Not EVERYONE shares your philosphy on what is good or bad,
'cause yr obviously not the god of SWGB. Just let us do our things without you moaning and having a hissy fit all over them. If you don't like it, just ignore it. Like the growing menace of pop music.

-Danny Himself-
"it's okay to find sonic the hedgehog sexy if you have a girlfriend..."

posted 08-19-04 12:07 PM EDT (US)     17 / 66  
Oops; will fix it in my sig (later).

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 12:32 PM EDT (US)     18 / 66  
Um, what about my review being deleted?
posted 08-19-04 12:39 PM EDT (US)     19 / 66  
Cutscenes don't always need action. But I must say, they deffinatly need music if they don't have action.

Also, some scenarios will have long cutscenes explaining the plot. You don't want to leave the guy who is playing clueless to what's going on. So sometimes talking cutscenes are good.

Quote:

- Don't have long cutscene's with only dialogs. It's boring.

Actually, sometimes it can be interesting. I mean, if you word them perfectly, then you can make a really interesting cutscene. Although, I do agree that 5 minute cutscene of someone just talking is a little of an overuse of talking.

posted 08-19-04 12:55 PM EDT (US)     20 / 66  
Nah. I personally hate those cutscenes. But; it's ok IF that cutscene isn't longer then a minute or summin.

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 01:00 PM EDT (US)     21 / 66  
NG's prologue= 2 minutes and I think it got up to 105 triggers. Just talking basically, but it explains A LOT of the plot.

But, I think that explaining the plot is good due to the fact that if you do not explain it, then you will not have a clue what's going on.

[This message has been edited by Xcaliber (edited 08-19-2004 @ 01:19 PM).]

posted 08-19-04 01:08 PM EDT (US)     22 / 66  
I mentioned that too . But with action, I mean; a fight; force powers; flying ships; basically not two units standing near eachother and talking.

ex SWGBH scn designer
ex BFME2H cherub
posted 08-19-04 01:09 PM EDT (US)     23 / 66  
Well...Duh.
posted 08-19-04 01:12 PM EDT (US)     24 / 66  
2 Min and it took 150 triggers?! That aint possible. It has to be at least 7.
posted 08-19-04 01:15 PM EDT (US)     25 / 66  
Miine was 4 mins and it took 75

posted 08-19-04 01:19 PM EDT (US)     26 / 66  
Eek! Oops. 105 triggers. Sorry. Um...Yeah, that includes music playing trigger, skip cutscene trigger, and a few other things. Sorry about that.
posted 08-19-04 01:33 PM EDT (US)     27 / 66  
The only cutscenes I got tired of from any campaign was that Star Wars theme Yellow text-scroll that some people try to pull off.

ARMY STRONG
"Rhys wins this thread." - Tsavong Lah | "Gen freakin wins." - Jon Rolos | "...Any mercenary force trained by you, Dallows, would be all kinds of awesome." - Flying Ace
Expanding Fronts Mod
posted 08-19-04 01:59 PM EDT (US)     28 / 66  
A text crawl can be fun to watch if done properly.

Chook | Galactic Battlegrounds Heaven
"I can't think of a better way on earth to build public favor than [the marriage equality movement], other than of course rounding up the Jews." - Sarthos
"Long story short, our goal is love and tolerance." - Sarthos
posted 08-19-04 02:03 PM EDT (US)     29 / 66  
But it's boring if you have to rewatch it, like after a crash.
posted 08-19-04 02:04 PM EDT (US)     30 / 66  
Thats why you do an astro and make it so that there is a taunt which skips it

« Previous Page  1 2 3  Next Page »
SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Raven Studios - A Guide to get your scenario perfected
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames