Moderated by Crazed Ewok, Gen_Rhys_Dallows

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Story Guidelines
posted 03-21-06 01:10 AM EDT (US)   
Empire of Darkness's Guidelines to Making Good Stories

Introduction

These are more guidelines than an actual guide. No one can be taught to come up with a good story. This is here more so to show a process of making a good story, and how it can evolve from incredibly odd, to a well thought out plot.

~ Basic Plot ~

The "Basic Plot" is essentially a very broad idea of what your campaign is to be about.

The very first thing you need to determine is whether or not this is in the Star Wars universe.

In the Star Wars Universe

Now that your story has a universe to occupy, you need to decide on a time period. The current popular eras are the KOTOR era and the Clone War era. For my example, I'll use the KOTOR era.

Now your story has a universe, and an era. Who is involved in the KOTOR era? There are Mandalorians, Republic forces, the Sith, and the Jedi, and various bounty hunters, including the underused Genoharadan. For my example, I will use the Republic and the Genoharadan (which includes bounty hunters).

Now the story has a universe, an era, and two parties involved. What draws them together? A conflict? Wars are the common outset of stories, and most have the classic plot of good versus evil. Some, however, can make this struggle of good vs. evil a very subtle affair, and I will get into that later.

Here's a list of what I have so far:

Star Wars Universe
KOTOR era
Genoharadan vs. Republic (this includes the good vs. evil idea)

~~~

~ Moderate Plot ~

The "Moderate Plot" is a semi-descriptive idea of your story. In this part, you determine what exactly is going on during your this era. And what 'is going' on is essentially your story.

As my example, the KOTOR era Genoharadan vs. Republic, I will need to define the conflict. It can be any number of things. For my example, it'll be that the Republic is stealing bounty hunter women, and the Genoharadan are fighting to free them.

The background history is also an important thing to identify, since it is what really sets up your story. The background history is likely a description of why these two sides are in conflict.

For my example, the reason these two sides are in conflict is because a general who has become slightly psychotic and is still part of the Republic Army is capturing bounty hunter women to bear children to use as slaves. The Genoharadan learn of this and send in a few bounty hunters to free the women.

Now that we have that background of the story, we can take another step. Creating main characters.

~~~

~ Main Characters ~

Characters need to be believable. For example, you can't have a gung ho soldier suddenly become a coward. Give them a personality and then stick with it the whole story, however, that doesn't mean he can't change.

For example, the psychotic General:

He's insane, and constantly makes extreme decisions in the heat of battle that get his men killed, but ultimately win in the end. He's fearless, and occasionally heads into battle HIMSELF in an attempt to boost morale. However, his views in battle have come over to his views in his life, and now he's enslaving women to make even more slaves, which he sells on the black market.

The General would be the "Evil" in this story.

Added: A Suggestion from Macko/Ministry of Love:

While in this story, the general is defined as evil, remember that he is not all bad. This is to humanize the character, make him more believable. Look at his position. He's a general for the Republic, which means at one point he's probably fought the Sith and freed some opressed planet. He is a good guy, just made some stupid mistakes.

• Note: Though I am labeling the general as evil, it is only for the benefit of the 'good and evil' story path. In this story, he is indeed the villain, but that doesn't make him ultimately evil. Like Vader, there's still some good in him.

_____

The main good character, the bounty hunter who leads the charge, would have to have his own personality as well. One that'll be the polar opposite of the General's mentality.

For this character, I would use a personality similar to the Leon character in the movie "The Professional." He's good at what he does, and has a rule of "no women, no kids" when he does his assassinations. For being a murderer, he still has a sense of honor and dignity. To him, what the general is doing is inexcusable, and he may let things get a little too personal.

They're both dynamic characters. Now they need names, no?
    Some odd name for the general perhaps, or something that strikes a bit of fear, or gives a little bit of mystery to his character, or reflects his insanity.

General Lobotom

Now a name for the hero of the story. A name that reflects his honor? His skill?

Kain Mosa

While its an odd name, with no meaning, it sounds like an adequate hero's name.

There are a few good name generators out there, and here�s a link to one I prefer.

Star Wars Name Generator Usually its good to take a few names from here, and mix them with each other. For example, a name I once used "Galak Hayde" was derived from this method.

~~~

~ In Depth Plot ~

In here, you get a little more detailed again. You determine what happens in each scenario. Let's say, the campaign was 3 scenarios long (easier for me to write )

Scenario 1

Kain Rosa is called upon by one of the Genoharadan leaders, and is told of the situation. He goes to investigate on a desert planet the rumors of a secret base that is holding slaves. He then discovers that they're holding women as prisoners and are forcing them to artificially bear children that'll be sold as slaves. Cain then discovers that an insane Republic General is responsible for this. He frees the women from their prisons and starts to hunt down this General Lobotom.

Scenario 2

Kain Rosa travels to the general's home planet of Alderaan where he infiltrates the general's home to investigate further, and finds out of another planet with the same purpose. However, he is discovered, and an alarm is sounded, and he has to fight his way through Republic forces to get back to his ship. Lobotom wasn't at his house, but he might be at this new planet.

Scenario 3

Kain Rosa arrives at this new planet, sneaks into the base, and finds the women. After fighting off more Republic soldiers, he frees the women, and then confronts General Lobotom for a final showdown. Ultimately, of course, Kain wins. He is called back to the same leader of the Genoharadan, and is commended for his actions in exposing General Lobotom for the psycho he was. The Republic officials apologize for not recognizing his insanity earlier, and all is well in the galaxy once again. The End.

Stories get even more in depth, especially when you're writing the dialogue. Play through your cutscenes often, and read the dialogue carefully. Write it as you would say it, as well.

Kain - "I am here to fight you, General."

General Lobotom - "To the death, bounty hunter? In the old tradition of your people's sad way of life?"

Kain - "Your father slaughtered the people of my planet. They will have their revenge when I take your life."

It is also good to have underlying plots that don't directly influence the story, but drive the characters to make the decisions they make. For example, in that bit of dialogue, Kain and Lobotom you see they have a form of previous history. Kain is propelled forward by this hatred of Lobotom for several reasons, and Lobotom sees Kain as some one his father must have missed when he wiped out his Kain's home planet.

~~~

~ Questions ~

It is good to ask yourself questions when molding your story. It sounds cheesy, but ask yourself, "What is the character's motivation?" If he is a Republic soldier that's in the wrong place at the wrong time, what's his reason for fighting back? Is he morally obligated?

Ask yourself "Is my story believable?" A good story is believable. It has to be something you could see happening in the Star Wars universe (or in any universe, if your story isn't in the Star Wars universe)

~~~

~ Final Notes ~

While these are more guidelines to follow, rather than an actual guide. I will continually add to this when I see fit, and I will have a Questions and Answers part for those who need to ask questions regarding good and bad stories.

~~~

Macko/MoL made a suggestion via MSN. Credited, and visible where suggestion has been implemented.

~ Coming Soon ~

Extended guidelines to include stories outside of the SW universe.

A spruced up main thread.

~~~

~ Q and A ~

Ask questions, and I'll give answers, to the best of my ability. Others can feel free to answer, however, please, if a question has already been answered 3 times, please keep yours brief.

Whoa.

[This message has been edited by Empire of Darkness (edited 03-22-2006 @ 10:25 AM).]

• Replies:
    posted 03-21-06 01:17 AM EDT (US)     1 / 10  
    Nice guide .

B e n d e r s . . . © 2004

ex SWGBH scn designer
    ex BFME2H cherub
    posted 03-21-06 01:21 AM EDT (US)     2 / 10  
    Yes, very nice.

Sierra Wolf
    posted 03-21-06 01:54 AM EDT (US)     3 / 10  
    This should help quite a bit I stink a plot making. Thanks EoD.

Oh forget it...
    posted 03-21-06 07:57 AM EDT (US)     4 / 10  
    Good guide EoD, the sad thing was I was starting to make one.

No will to wake for this morn.
    To see another black rose born,Deathbed is slowly covered with snow.
    Angels, they fell first but I'm still here.
    Alone as they are drawing near, In heaven my masterpiece will finally be sung

End of All, Nighwish
    posted 03-21-06 10:12 AM EDT (US)     5 / 10  

If you'd like to contribute to this, please do. This isn't gonna be a guide bogged down by Design groups logos (like oh so many of BP's) but rather a forum guide, that anyone can add to at any time. (however they have to pend approval from me ).

Also, if you need advice for stories, my MSN is empireofdarkness@hotmail.com

I'm open to chat and give advice on the development of stories when ever I am on.

However if it says AWAY or OUT TO LUNCH or any away thing like that, I really am away. Busy is ok to message me, because I'm at my computer, I'll just be slow to respond.

Best of luck to all!

Whoa.
    posted 03-21-06 10:46 AM EDT (US)     6 / 10  
    Nice guide, nice story. One question, what is your messenger address?

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    RESIDENT EVIL: OPERATION PHOENIX
    posted 03-21-06 11:11 AM EDT (US)     7 / 10  
    Great work EoD. MSN now! I wanna talk something with you about...*you know what*

[EDIT] Added to cooming soon thread mate.

:| Darth Bandon |:
    :| Free Lance |:

[This message has been edited by Darth Bandon (edited 03-21-2006 @ 11:16 AM).]

posted 03-21-06 05:28 PM EDT (US)     8 / 10  

Quote:

Added to cooming soon thread mate.

Thanks man.

Quote:

One question, what is your messenger address?

Quoted from the post above yours:

empireofdarkness@hotmail.com

Whoa.
    posted 03-22-06 09:56 AM EDT (US)     9 / 10  
    Hey, mods, I don't know, but maybe this is something to sticky?

SilverSaber_Yoda
    Currently Working On
    STAR WARS SITH
    RESIDENT EVIL: OPERATION PHOENIX
    posted 03-22-06 11:26 AM EDT (US)     10 / 10  
    This is great, im normally very poor at making good storylines so i will definately use this in future.
    SSY: Theres probably no need since theres a link from design central.
    SWGB Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design » Story Guidelines
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    SWGB Heaven | HeavenGames