Desert Mystic Library

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Nation Idea - The Kahan
posted 06-17-06 11:03 PM EDT (US)   
The Kahan

By Lord Iarune

The Kahan are a nomadic people from the mountains and tundras seperating two major parts of Aio. Their cities are unique in which they are mobile. All buildings can be packed up on yak like animals and moved away. Also, each building begins as a Yak Caravan. You begin the game with 5 of these. The main entities of the Kahan are the Spirits and the Horde. When each unit of the Kahan, besides the Yak Caravan, dies they turn into a spirit. It goes like this:

Units from Horde Yurt- Winter Ox at Death

Units from Spirit Monastery- Normally Die, except the Spirit Chief, turns into a Spring Falcon at death

Units from Pavilion- Autumn Wolf

Units from Mine- Ibagan Miners

Units from Nest of War- Spirit Falcon

Also, the Kahan are very connected to their three seasons: spring, autumn, and winter. There is no summer. Summer is divided in to by half being in Spring and half being in Autumn. When you build a Pyre Tower, you get to choose what kind of pyre you want. Each different pyre is connected to a certain spirit unit. Once you build a Pyre Tower and choose the pyre connected to the unit, you can create that unit. Also, the spirit unit of the pyre gets a constant bonus if the pyre burns. Pyre is kept burning by your timonium income. If your Pyre burns out, your spirit unit cannot be created until it is set back on fire from timonium income. You can choose from these different pyres:

Pyre of Prosperity- Allows you to train Spring Falcons and gives them a constant bonus of increased speed and attack. Also increases your wealth income.

Pyre of Harvest- Allows you to train Autumn Wolves and gives them a constant bonus of increased speed and attack. Also increases your timonium income.

Pyre of Migration- Allows you to train Winter Oxen and gives them a constant bonus of increased speed and attack. Also gives all buildings stronger HP.

Heroes

Bardula the Gurkhan
-Body Guards - Summons three Horde Warriors and two Mangudai
-Rage - Does heavy trample damage to nearby enemy units
-Bellowing Horn - Sonic sounds from Bardula's horn hurt units
-Heavy Axe Throw - A large heavy axe is thrown into a unit, killing it instantly

Yontash
-Meditation - Boosts up attack and defence of allied units in a radius
-Sacred Healing - Heals all units to full HP within a radius
-Summon Spirits - Summons one Spirit Falcon, one Spirit Wolf, and one Spirit Ox
-Focused Energy - Fires a beam of blue energy at a group of units

Kayuk the Legendary Hunter
-Wolves - Summons two Autumn Wolves
-Piercing Shot - Instant kill on any unit with a bow and arrow
-Triple Shot - Fires three arrows at different units that deals out max damage to each
-Sniper Fire - Puts the screen in a different view, like you are looking through a scope. You can see across the map and kill any one unit that you see with the sniper arrow

Buildings

Mine: A basic mine.
Units Produced: Miner

Pavilion: A large hut of the Kahan.
Units Produced: Yak Caravan, Beserker

Spirit Monastery: A Mongol-style monastery.
Units Produced: Spirit Chief, Spring Falcon, Autumn Wolf, Winter Ox, Ibagan

Horde Yurt: A yurt hut with a small pen around it for stallions and yak beasts.
Units Produced: Horde Warrior, Mangudai, War Yak, Gurkhan, Giant Beast

Pyre Tower: A Mongol-style tower with a large pyre fire on the top. This structure provides unique bonuses and also allows you to train a spirit unit of the type of pyre you choose.

Nest of War: A large padoga tower with ledges coming out with giant condor nests. The Nest of War is a defensive structure and one that trains aerial units.

Units

Miner- A miner clad in bear furs.

Yak Caravan- A large yak beast with an unpacked building on top of it. This unit unpacks into all buildings.

Beserker- The basic Kahan military unit with a large axe.

Spirit Chief- A spiritual leader of the Kahan, this magical unit can unleash devastating spirit powers to weaken and destroy the enemy. The Spirit Chief can also heal units.

Spring Falcon- A soaring falcon made of spirit essence that represents the Prosperity Season. The spring falcon can swirl down at enemies and attack them with their talons. It also lowers the speed of machine/magical units.

Autumn Wolf- A fast moving wolf made of spirit essence that represents the Harvest Season. The Autumn Wolf can leap an incredibly large distance and let out a piercing howl that makes enemy units cower in fear and run away.

Winter Ox- A slow moving but powerful ox made of spirit essence that represents the Migration Season. This powerful unit can trample enemies easily when they are in groups.

Ibagan- The Ibagan is an extra spirit unit that resembles a flaming being and can create small cyclones of fire.

Horde Warrior- A mounted Kahan soldier with two axes in each hand. Trained in groups of 3.

Mangudai- A mounted Kahan elite archer. Trained in groups of 2.

War Yak- A large yak animal with a Kahan ballista mounted on its back, and two soldiers to fire it. The beast itself can ravage opponents and trample them. The War Yak is nothing compared in size to the Siege Mammoth.

Gurkhan- The Gurkhan is not mounted a wields a powerful two handed heavy sword. This unit can go spin its sword around to deal heavy damage to all enemy units around it.

Behemoth- This is a very large mammoth with Kahan archers firing flaming arrows from a tower set up on its back. This is the Kahan master unit and can trample and rush down huge armies.

Condor Scout- A Kahan soldier riding on the back of a very large condor. This unit is fast but has a weak attack. When in groups, Condor Scouts are stronger and gain a higher HP.

Condor General- A Kahan general is mounted on the back of large armored condor. The Kahan general can attack while the condor also attacks. When with other aerial units, the Condor General boosts their morale, speed, and other stats.

Flock of Chaos- A flock of hundreds of ravens, that can swoop down and consume an enemy. Flocks of Chaos can occasionally turn units insane, where they begin to attack units of their own team. You may only train 5 Flocks of Chaos.

City Districts

Military District: Increases population. Free Horde Warriors spawn at any Horde house.

Economic District: Increases timonium and wealth income, as well as the number of caravans you have.

Palace District: Increases city size, affectiveness of other districts, and is also used to research new unit types which you can then produce.

Spirit District: Pyre Towers have higher defence and their pyre lasts a lot longer, even with slow timonium income. Spirit Chiefs have unique bonuses in all stats.

Nation Power: Kahan Warlord
Summons a mighty Kahan warlord. The Warlord has fought and never lost in any battle, and his lust for blood makes him even more eager to fight. He can release two Hunter Falcons, which can swoop swoop down at enemies and claw them up with their talons. This killer can also mount when needed, on a savage white bear with fearsome glowing red eyes and drool dripping up his teeth. At any time he can also call upon a group of 5 Mangudai to aid him in his fight.

[This message has been edited by Lord Iarune (edited 06-25-2006 @ 07:39 PM).]

Replies:
posted 06-18-06 04:00 PM EDT (US)     1 / 17  
Any feedback?
posted 06-18-06 04:37 PM EDT (US)     2 / 17  
hmm... sorry to say but it seems a bit... drab in comparison with the other nations...

you seem to be relying to much on real history, and the race seems more like an animal race than a human tribe or army

Quote:

This is a very large mammoth with Kahan archers firing flaming arrows from a small tower set up on its back. This is the Kahan master unit and can trample and rush down huge armies.

and that's called a giant beast? you could come up with some better names for these, they have mangudai, which are basically horse archers who ride horses and not 'medium beasts' so i don't see why it would be called 'giant beast'

Quote:

Nation Power: Golden Horde

i know you're trying to keep with the army theme, but the armies have to be different in RoL, this is basically the alin national power

i don't mean to dictate but here's what i would have imagined to be the national power of a race like the kahan: "Kahan battlelord - summons a Kahan battlelord, who has fought in countless wars and battles and is as great a leader as a soldier. Also summons the battlelord's retinue. both increase in power as the ability is upgraded. Also summons a Kahan flag bearer who boosts the speed and damage of nearby friendly units and reduces enemy attack and speed slightly."

that would be my idea for a Kahan type national power anyway

Quote:

A mounted Kahan soldier with two axes in each hand

lol! holding two axes in the same hand is hard =/

but i like how you've tried to keep a foothold on reality than flying off into fantasy completely (lemme rephrase that before someone says i'm contradicting - you've kept the foothold, but the foothold is too strong so the race never truly lifts off the ground and reaches into fantasy like the other RoL races do)

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 06-18-06 04:49 PM EDT (US)     3 / 17  
Your right. I'll edit them, but I'm still trying to keep to my basic War/Spirit theme. National Power will be changed, and unit names will be edited.
posted 06-18-06 04:54 PM EDT (US)     4 / 17  
I changed the Giant Beast's name, added a unit, and changed the Nation Power. What do you think now?
posted 06-18-06 05:15 PM EDT (US)     5 / 17  
I think you need another hero
posted 06-18-06 05:25 PM EDT (US)     6 / 17  
You need more units and buildings as well, as does the Xiyao

★★★★★

[This message has been edited by Shala (edited 06-19-2006 @ 06:50 AM).]

posted 06-18-06 05:42 PM EDT (US)     7 / 17  
hmm great mammoth is better, but i was thinking something along the lines of mangudai, you can't copy from history here so just make one up, off the top of my head... Gargandos, but i'm sure you can come up with something better

Quote:

Nation Power: Kahan Warlord

arggg not again!

bleh... well at least you changed the name, i'm usually more interested in what ideas others can come up with hence why i don't like "suggesting" too much, or at least putting a warning label on my suggestions, perhaps you could expand on what the retinue composes of? different units at different levels? the warlords pet bloodthirsty animal or something?

Quote:

Ibagan- The Ibagan is an extra spirit unit that resembles a flaming being and can create small cyclones of fire.

here's why i thought it seemed bland, they all just seem to be basic attack units, you could add to them, eg the ox could be a fast trampler, not fast when it starts running but slowly accelerating to a deadly pace (this would be possible as all units have a 'speed' rate and an 'acceleration' rate)

Quote:

Spring Falcon- A soaring falcon made of spirit essence that represents the Prosperity Season.

Autumn Wolf- A fast moving wolf made of spirit essence that represents the Harvest Season.

Winter Ox- A slow moving but powerful ox made of spirit essence that represents the Migration Season.

for those three especially, some more info needs to be given

...|\/\////<_/\==/\====/\==/\_>\\\\/\/|...
.../<Storm]]>Storm-legion<[[Winds>\...
...\__/\\\\<_\/==\/====\/==\/_>////\__/...
...\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\////////////////////...
posted 06-18-06 07:44 PM EDT (US)     8 / 17  
Changed once more.
posted 06-20-06 06:38 PM EDT (US)     9 / 17  
the hero pwoers are kinda boring the last 1 has 2 instant kill ones and the other two have instant kills not to say i can think of nething better im just saying
posted 06-21-06 10:13 PM EDT (US)     10 / 17  
I was thinking of a similar idea for the Kahan myself. My ideas for units were more like the "Behemoth" as a giant wooly mammoth with archers on it (think something like the oliphants from LotR, but hairy).

Another idea for an additional cavalry unit might be a sabretooth tiger.

They would have "Ice Storm" as a National Power, a blizzard with increased attrition damage and lowered unit line of sight for the radius. They would have some elemental themes, though: Earth (basic), Wind (air), and Ice (siege). They still had mobile buildings, though.

The heroes I considered would be more like:

Yontash- As before. Bonuses to Earth units.
Temuchin- Evil, nasty warlord who gives bonuses to Ice units.
Borte- Flying heroine on a giant vulture. Gives bonuses to Wind units.

In terms of unit cost and strength, they would be somewhere between Cuotl and Vinci. They can purchase 'generic elemental' upgrades like the Alin, rather than upgrading single unit lines like the tech civs.

Tech tracks: Research points are gained by building more wartime structures.
Mobility: Map tech and decreases unit/structure unpacking and packing time.
Survival: Increases unit attack and resists attrition.
Pillage: Increase economic bonuses from attacking enemy units.
Geomancy: Increases Ice Storm damage/power.

Architecture: East Asian pagodas with mountain/ice making them. Small lights gather around different structures.

To be honest, I like the Kahan/Mongol analogs MUCH more than the Chinese guys. Samurai are something I think are very much overdone in RTS games. The Chinese and Japanese historically (and heck even currently) were/are rivals, so they don't go to well together. Besides, Mongols are so bad ass, they make other civs look like sissies. The Mongols historically conquered China, and almost Japan, if not for windstorms called kamikazes that destroyed their invasion fleets.

posted 06-25-06 06:16 PM EDT (US)     11 / 17  
SUPER IMPORTANT FOR THIS THREAD!!!

You can see many kahan unit icons with the editor, I am going to explain everything in the general discussion forum.

posted 06-25-06 07:32 PM EDT (US)     12 / 17  
Oh shiz! Post here when your thread is finished.

EDIT: Added a new building, the Nest of War, and three new units from that structure.

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

[This message has been edited by Lord Iarune (edited 06-25-2006 @ 07:39 PM).]

posted 06-25-06 08:02 PM EDT (US)     13 / 17  
It explains everything on how to do it quite easy, just had to dig up a little.

EDIT: I think I found the Kahan's infantry unit cheat, just do /insert barbarians, they aren't the ones that come from the frozen maps these are different.

[This message has been edited by Czin_Minion (edited 06-25-2006 @ 08:27 PM).]

posted 06-26-06 11:06 AM EDT (US)     14 / 17  
You could make a nation power like this:

Garagorain Whiteout:
Summons the great white winter of the Kahan, known before time to have ravaged the world thrice over.
Lasts 3 mins. during which all enemy unit and building los' are halved, techs that increase map vision are nullified, enemy units move at 75% of normal speed, attrition is x5, and healing is null.

posted 06-26-06 12:13 PM EDT (US)     15 / 17  
I think that:
A: That's overpowered
B: It just sounds a bit unaioish
posted 06-28-06 02:42 PM EDT (US)     16 / 17  
I'm almost done with my new faction, and I must say, I'm very impressed with them.

׺°˜`°º×ALL HAIL THE UNCLELAND!׺°˜`°º×[/ind]\

[ind]Help to reveal the Dumbo Conspiracy to the World!

posted 06-30-06 00:00 AM EDT (US)     17 / 17  
Interesting description.
Rise of Legends Heaven » Forums » Desert Mystic Library » New Nation Idea - The Kahan
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Rise of Legends Heaven | HeavenGames