Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The AoKH Literature Thread
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 03-27-13 10:56 PM CT (US)   
AOKH LITERATURE THREAD

So, I know for a fact that almost everyone around here read books, and I also know that some of the people around here also have writing skills (or so they claim), so I decided to open this thread.

Let's talk about literary works around here, OK? This is a thread open to all genres and published works (Yes, even Twilight), there is no discrimination from the OP to your reading habits. Basically, if you can find it in a bookstore, and you read it, feel free to tell us about it, and so poetry is also accepted around here. The only exception(s) are magazines and comics of any type, as they are not literary works in their own right. Sure some comics have great stories, but they have the support of visual environment, unlike most of the other written media and therefore I think they don't belong to this thread. The No comics discussion ban has been lifted for now.

You can also talk of your own works if you've got any. Share about them to your liking, and if you think you are a capable writer, then I will happily put your name in below in a lovely little list, where the name of our known writers will be placed, for us to admire (or envy).

THE WRITERS OF THE FORUMS

- The Bartening (Writing Competition Winner, 2 times in a row)

- Lord Basse

- RedHandedJill (Last Writing Competition's Runner-Up)

- Aro (Our beloved Ex-dictator and contributer to many Splash Splash Screenplays, also creator of one of them)

(Some names were placed here without the person asking for it because of previous knowledge of their writing skills, if you don't wish to be here, state it below.)

What are you waiting for? Bring out your books, take a cup of coffee (or tea) and sit down to talk.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms

[This message has been edited by Mithril Knight (edited 08-13-2014 @ 06:53 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-28-13 07:43 AM CT (US)     1 / 88  
Do comics count?

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 03-28-13 09:35 AM CT (US)     2 / 88  
Do really, really long posts in reply to small, often single-sentence statements count? Cuz if so, I'm one of the greatest writers of all time.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
posted 03-28-13 09:56 AM CT (US)     3 / 88  
Do comics count?
No, but I suppose that you are joking here.
Do really, really long posts in reply to small, often single-sentence statements count? Cuz if so, I'm one of the greatest writers of all time.
Well it depends on the context. But just for you, I will pass it.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-28-13 10:01 AM CT (US)     4 / 88  
No, but I suppose that you are joking here.
I wasn't.

Fascist.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 03-28-13 10:54 AM CT (US)     5 / 88  
I stated that with valid points I would count them too.

So show proof that they are to be counted as literary works.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-28-13 12:14 PM CT (US)     6 / 88  
hey, you are the one making the unfair judgments, the burden of proof lies with you. This be America.

posted 03-28-13 01:01 PM CT (US)     7 / 88  
Unless he is evaluating literary merit with aerial drones, in which case he can kick you out of this thread without any due process.

What do you get when you gobble down sweets?
Eating as much as an elephant eats?
What are you at getting terribly fat?
What do you think will come of that?
"Actually, my foreskin was stuck at the point where the pink bulb starts, and they cut it free."-Stroke
"Tonight, I pulled it back a bit too far and the opening of my foreskin is stuck beneath the head of my penis." -Pears
posted 03-28-13 01:55 PM CT (US)     8 / 88  
Well it depends on the context. But just for you, I will pass it.
Thanks, I think. But I noticed you worded that vaguely enough that you could've very well rejected me there too. Because I noticed my name isn't up there. You know I wrote one of the greatest Splash Splash Screenplays of all time, right? Right. I'm big shit around here. I'm the smelliest feces ever hit with a garden hose. I'm avant-garden, if you will. I make the guards stationed outside of the courthouse at the preliminary hearing for my numerous violations of the restraining order you'll file against me quiver in fear. Quiver. Because I'm Aro. And you will *bow*.
hey, you are the one making the unfair judgments, the burden of proof lies with you. This be America.
You're a dual-citizen. That means we can selectively disown you whenever we want.

... that's what that means, right? That's what that means.
Unless he is evaluating literary merit with aerial drones, in which case he can kick you out of this thread without any due process.
Oooo, that burned harder than the corpses of civilians who allegedly harbored a suspected terrorist!

Also, it was TOTALLY in bad taste. Feel ashamed.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"
posted 03-28-13 02:48 PM CT (US)     9 / 88  
Yeah, because I totally didn't say in the OP the thing about comics not being counted along with magazines, and the fact that the first ones are up for consideration to be included in the discussion.
Thanks, I think. But I noticed you worded that vaguely enough that you could've very well rejected me there too. Because I noticed my name isn't up there. You know I wrote one of the greatest Splash Splash Screenplays of all time, right? Right. I'm big shit around here. I'm the smelliest feces ever hit with a garden hose. I'm avant-garden, if you will. I make the guards stationed outside of the courthouse at the preliminary hearing for my numerous violations of the restraining order you'll file against me quiver in fear. Quiver. Because I'm Aro. And you will *bow*.
Hey, hey! I didn't remember you wrote one of the screenplays (less so, one of the greatest), and since everyone here is your smurf why would you file a restraining order against yourself?

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-28-13 04:02 PM CT (US)     10 / 88  
Currently I am reading "In the Time of the Butterflies", and on page 53 it says "She gave him milk every night, like he was her lost child."

Jesus HATES you.

I was once a normal Titan but then I decided to be King.
I have 2500 in the fastest splash splash ever. Suck it
posted 03-28-13 06:10 PM CT (US)     11 / 88  
When I want to talk about literature, I go to /lit/, and I do that almost every day.
posted 03-28-13 06:12 PM CT (US)     12 / 88  
All of my serious discussion goes on on 4chan actually. I generally don't post anything serious when my name is attached, save damaging my reputation as an occasionally humorous individual.
posted 03-29-13 08:07 PM CT (US)     13 / 88  
All of my serious discussion goes on on 4chan actually. I generally don't post anything serious when my name is attached, save damaging my reputation as an occasionally humorous individual.
And it shows, so I thank you for reserving your funniness to Heavengames.

On the topic:

I, unfortunately, have not been able to read any book since January, when I picked The Hobbit. It was nice and I liked it, but I felt that the narrative rambled at times.

Ever since then, the only stuff I read NatGeo Magazines and a manga (None of which I will talk about here).

Anyways, Is anyone (other than TitanKing) reading something interesting right now?

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-29-13 08:18 PM CT (US)     14 / 88  
I've been writing something with CarolKarine and RedHandedJill (my smurves). We're about halfway done and once it's finished, it will be posted here first.

I've not read much literature for fun since I read Hawking's "the Grand Design". It is a very long and informative polemic that God is unnecessary to explain the universe if we assume that God is unnecessary to explain the universe. But I read it for the particle physics, which are always entertaining.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 03-30-13 03:36 AM CT (US)     15 / 88  
Anyways, Is anyone (other than TitanKing) reading something interesting right now?
I recently finished The Castle of Otranto, and before that I read Carmilla. I tend to read even short novels fairly slowly because I read quite a number of short stories in between. I've got a D. H. Lawrence collection I drop into regularly (and one to be replaced with another by the same author when I finish it) as well as the complete plays of Plautus and Terrence, between them spread across three volumes; I drop in and read one of those occasionally, but none too recently come to think of it. I was going to read one last night, but I went to sleep instead. I also get The First Line quarterly and that, although short, usually lasts a while. I guess because I mainly read that when out and about. I'm also in a horror short story collection (called 'Return from the Dead') of mummy stories, which I have thus far only read one story from.

I'm not actually in a novel at the moment. I put down Steps by Jerzy Kosinski yesterday (mere hours after first picking it up; I posted about it a little in the hardest books thread); I probably won't finish it now unless someone either on here or /lit/ can explain to me why it's a good book, because I am really not feeling it at all.

Due in the post in the next couple of days are three of Ryu Murakami's novels (Audition, Piercing, In the Miso Soup) as well as The King in Yellow (which has been on my to-read list for several years; it will fill the void left by the collection of mummy stories when I either finish it or stop reading it). Also coming soon is Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk, but I don't know when I'll properly get round to reading that. Although, if I don't start a new novel by the time it arrives, odds aren't bad that I'll start it right away. Although, The Old English Baron is still to-read, as well as Through the Looking Glass, but I'm not too grand a fan of literary nonsense, so I may pass the latter up and be content with just having read the first of the two.

With my birthday coming up soon, I've asked someone to buy me The Dotter of Her Father's Eyes, which will be the first graphic novel I've ever read. Hopefully it will be enjoyable; the subject matter (Lucia Joyce) is certainly interesting enough.

Oh, and for the curious, in terms of non-fiction, I'm still reading Arther Ferrill's The Fall of the Roman Empire (despite it being short, I'm constantly putting it down for whole weeks at a time) alongside I. E. S. Edwards' The Pyramids of Egypt. Although, to be fair, I'm not really into TPOFE yet and I'm trying not to get in to it properly until I finally finish Ferrill's book.
posted 03-30-13 09:31 PM CT (US)     16 / 88  
I've been writing something with CarolKarine and RedHandedJill (my smurves). We're about halfway done and once it's finished, it will be posted here first.
Is it the White Scenarios story? Since I never deleted the Dropbox folder for it I still see it getting updated every now and then. I don't read, no longer feel much interest to contribute to it, but still.

So, hey! I would like to say that I am a hobbyist writer, so here is a rough translation of something I wrote some time ago.
She was there, right in front of him, walking happily around the sidewalk of the street. He observed, admiring her beauty. He was amazed by the beauty of the girl, as she wandered from here to there, while the dry leaves fell from the trees that autumn afternoon in the city.

Suddenly, she stopped moving. She stood there for a moment until she turned around to him. Smiling in a shy way, she walked towards him and then said:

"You know, I like this place, all the colors give it some much life."

The breeze that ran around the place moved softly her hair, and got him almost breathless. It reached just around her shoulders, not long but also not too short, and it's color was a deep black, so deep, that it actually had dark blue shades, that looked just like the ocean.
At the time it was just a strike of inspiration, so it actually is not of a good quality, nor something I feel comfortable with, plus I has just finished watching the Love Hina manga, so there was a little influence there. Eventually I grew this into more than eighty pages of text and still going for more. It's not quite like a romantic story though, in fact that's as romantic as it gets.

Note that this is a translation, and some of the wording is not quite fitting, compared to the original which is in Spanish, but I did my best to get the message carried over correctly.

Tell me what you think of it, please, as feedback is what motivates me to keep going after more than two months of writing this, that is by far my biggest work yet.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-31-13 03:19 AM CT (US)     17 / 88  
What sort of feedback would you like? It's too short to review the story or any of its details and your language isn't as you wanted it to be; its translated. From this short extract, it seems OK, but parts of it flow a little dodgily. The second paragraph is very staccato, and it doesn't really seem appropriate in this context, but again, I'm guessing that's probably just the translation.
posted 03-31-13 07:49 AM CT (US)     18 / 88  
I just read "The double."

It's mindf*ckery.

The great part is that Scab is apparently among such people. Yes. Greek Scab. My minion. -Stormraider

"Please don't grind on my wench and herr" - Bleedteals sister, asking me and herr not to grind her but mispelling

If he's not trolling I'll strip myself naked, paint myself green, and cheer for Ireland. -Coldviper. I'm still waiting for the proof....
posted 03-31-13 09:39 AM CT (US)     19 / 88  
Can you read Russian? Or was that in translation? I know it has a lot of focus on its language, but I don't know to what extent. I assume that it translates pretty well.
posted 03-31-13 10:43 AM CT (US)     20 / 88  
Read a Penguin's classics English translation, which I must say wasn't that bad.

Of course, it's not going to be as good as the original.

The great part is that Scab is apparently among such people. Yes. Greek Scab. My minion. -Stormraider

"Please don't grind on my wench and herr" - Bleedteals sister, asking me and herr not to grind her but mispelling

If he's not trolling I'll strip myself naked, paint myself green, and cheer for Ireland. -Coldviper. I'm still waiting for the proof....
posted 03-31-13 11:27 AM CT (US)     21 / 88  
Of course, it's not going to be as good as the original.
From what I've heard about Dostoevsky originals, that's probably not as true as you would think. I've heard it said that a lot of his books were rush-written to pay off gambling debts; often leading to them being fairly poorly written. Apparently translation largely covers this up. I've never studied any of his works or read any in the original Russian, or actually read any of his longer works at all, so I don't know if any of this is actually true; it's just what I've heard.
posted 03-31-13 11:41 AM CT (US)     22 / 88  
The Gambler was written to pay off his creditors, he basically had come through a rough patch, supporting his dead brother's family as well as himself on virtually no income. Crime and Punishment was the first novel he wrote for his own profit after his Siberean exile.
Is it the White Scenarios story?
It would, we've expanded upon it and we plan to rewrite a lot of it. It's slowly growing in length.

I'll send you an email.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 03-31-13 12:26 PM CT (US)     23 / 88  
Crime and Punishment... I read it and honestly the whole logic vs emotion thing, seems pretty stupid. Fyodor Dostoyevsky is trying to make them seem mutually exclusive, but in reality they are not. It just made me want to facepalm after reading it.

Jesus HATES you.

I was once a normal Titan but then I decided to be King.
I have 2500 in the fastest splash splash ever. Suck it
posted 03-31-13 03:26 PM CT (US)     24 / 88  
Crime and Punishment... I read it and honestly the whole logic vs emotion thing, seems pretty stupid. Fyodor Dostoyevsky is trying to make them seem mutually exclusive, but in reality they are not. It just made me want to facepalm after reading it.
You've spectacularly missed the point. In fact, I wouldn't judge crime and punishment on its own until you've actually read The Brothers Kamarazov.

posted 03-31-13 05:09 PM CT (US)     25 / 88  
As of today, I am the rightful owner of a German edition of Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus. I don't know a whole lot of German, but I should know a whole lot more by the time I finish it.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The AoKH Literature Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames