You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Music of the game - different soundtracks for different games?
posted 11-03-08 01:10 PM ET (US)   
One question that is still unanswered about the original AOE:

Back in my earlier days I used to play AOE at both my friend's house and my house. The thing is, my dad's copy of the game and my friend's copy had completely different soundtracks to them. I still don't understand why that is.

My friend's copy began with the music played on this:
http://www.microsoft.com/games/empires/

Whereas my dad's copy began with this:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKctPewO7Y

I still don't understand why, in the same country, these versions had completely different tracks. I recently started playing AOE again and couldn't help but wonder.
Replies:
posted 11-03-08 01:15 PM ET (US)     1 / 15  
Because AoE music is in the MIDI format which is interpreted differently from one computer to the next. I got used to hearing it one way for the first three years of playing the game and then when we got a new computer I was shocked to hear totally different music! (I still like it better the other way)

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro
Voted AoEH's Most Helpful Forumer 2009!

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble

[This message has been edited by Ninetails (edited 11-03-2008 @ 01:19 PM).]

posted 11-03-08 02:11 PM ET (US)     2 / 15  
The demo version only has midi files, the full version has both midi files and much better quality files on the CD. When you get the Gold Edition you get the music that comes with the Rise of Rome expansion pack.
This question has turned up a lot of times, we even discussed our preferences - not much debate there, about everybody agreed that the original AoE soundtrack (Redbook as it's called, on CD) is the best.
posted 11-03-08 03:40 PM ET (US)     3 / 15  
I think the MIDI opening is a lot worse, but otherwise they're both fine.

"Mrcheeze your genius but not quite a Gumble-kind-of genius." - Gumble
"We're all friendly here except MrCheeze but he means well" - Ninetales (Not exact words)
"Gumble has no words for you, you’re boring now. -underrated- that’s a joke, Gumble is OVERSTATED." - Gumble
(Not even sure what he was saying there)
posted 11-03-08 09:19 PM ET (US)     4 / 15  
Your friend's copy has the midi version. I've never heard the track on your dad's version though, but IMO it's really boring. Strange thing is, mine's AoE Gold as well but I haven't a single non-midi track. I feel shortchanged, bah.
posted 11-04-08 03:48 AM ET (US)     5 / 15  
I didn't like the AoE music at first, but I god used to it, and it adds to the hypnotic effect of nomad starts. I never got used to the RoR music, midi or CD, it was all equally terrible.
posted 11-04-08 11:13 AM ET (US)     6 / 15  
I only have the first one on my cd. But it doesn't play in-game...

//The warrior of Isola

"I lack quotes that demonstrate Humor Intelligence or anything about me."

Pineapplefish
Cleidopus gloriamaris
posted 11-04-08 08:21 PM ET (US)     7 / 15  
Not used to RoR, peter? de gustibus non est disputandum
posted 11-05-08 06:54 AM ET (US)     8 / 15  
The only track on the RoR CD that bears listening to is never played in single player games - I checked by trying what the music sounded like without the game.
posted 11-05-08 10:35 AM ET (US)     9 / 15  
I don't like the RoR music much either.

| The Slave Pits (4.8) MMC 1st Place | The Fate of Inraya Teaser (4.5) | The Parting Gift | Computer Wars Pack |
"Never experienced any of his revolutionary scenarios, but dang if he isn't charismatic when he speaks!" -Aro

Ninetails, of all the forumers you seen to have the inabillity to feel hate against your fellow man. A noble trait, treasure it. -Gumble
posted 11-07-08 10:50 PM ET (US)     10 / 15  
The full version has both midi files and much better quality files on the CD.
Where can I find those, all I have is MIDI files. Do you actually have copies of those other music files?

posted 11-07-08 11:00 PM ET (US)     11 / 15  
I have the original AoE disc soundtrack on my Ipod.

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 11-08-08 04:28 AM ET (US)     12 / 15  
They're on my CD.
posted 11-08-08 09:31 AM ET (US)     13 / 15  
Located where? And could you send them to me? (I think it's legal since I own the game)

posted 04-17-09 03:51 AM ET (US)     14 / 15  
There is a bundle pack with AoK and TC that comes with AoE and RoR. To my knowledge the AoE and RoR have midi tracks. My current AoE cd has the original music.
posted 04-19-09 04:17 PM ET (US)     15 / 15  
the AoE collectors edition which included AoE Gold, and both AoE II cds (AoK and expansion) had an extra cd with music from all the games but regrettably, mostly from AoK.
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Music of the game - different soundtracks for different games?
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames