Please login or register

AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Explanation
posted 11-02-09 08:00 AM ET (US)   
OH MY GOD!!! Nobody understood my former problem. I bought in 1998 the age of empires gold edition, and I was able to play on windows 98 of course, and windows XP. But with my third computer which is running with vista 64, the installation didn't achieve properly, so when I wanted to patch the game 1.0a (wanna play on multiplayer), I read an error message : "the game seems to be not intalled on your computer, can't apply the patch", even with the CD inside.
SO, I asked there, not a no-Cd patch, but a patched empiresx.exe file. Fortunately, a friend of mine had it and gave me that.

So when I read today most of you think I'm a pirate and talked to me with condescending sentences, I got MAD!!

Peace, les buses.

[This message has been edited by chips493 (edited 11-02-2009 @ 09:10 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-02-09 08:31 AM ET (US)     1 / 8  
Did you get the game to work?

I have been told by other Vista 64 users AoE and AoE2 doesn't install properly (it stops at the updating registry part).
posted 11-02-09 09:01 AM ET (US)     2 / 8  
Yeah, it works, after several hours of unsuccessful attempts... Actually I don't know how I succed. I remember I donwloaded the trial version, with the hittites, and tried to paste thes .exe file into the complete version folder. It didn't work first, but later, with more patience, the game launched!
It's ashamed a Microsoft games doesn't even work on windows. You have to find by yourself a solution. I found one, but with so many tricks I can't remember.

Sorry.
posted 11-02-09 09:48 AM ET (US)     3 / 8  
I have every Age game + expansions (the whole Age collection) installed on my Vista 64, they all work perfectly fine and install without any problems
the game seems to be not intalled on your computer, can't apply the patch
I think Rasteve is correct about the updating registry part though, at least that's the only thing I can think of when reading the error message. This occurs when the game is not correctly installed using Setup but by copying the files directly from the CD.
posted 11-02-09 09:59 AM ET (US)     4 / 8  
You possibly solved the problem by installing the trial (which I assume helped get the registry stuff across).
posted 11-02-09 11:06 AM ET (US)     5 / 8  
Yeah, the installation was not completed cuz the last part (don't remeber the name) bugged and lagged all the computer. Anyway, the whole game got installed in a folder, but not in the PC register.
Phatfish, did you buy the gold edition? Seems to be the only version that bugs on Vista 64.
posted 11-02-09 09:10 PM ET (US)     6 / 8  
I have every Age game + expansions (the whole Age collection) installed on my Vista 64, they all work perfectly fine and install without any problems
same

~~~Helelix~~~
"Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - Terry Pratchett
"Evil is always unspectacular and always human. And shares our bed...and eats at our table." - W.H. Auden
"The basis of shame is not some personal mistake of ours, but that this humiliation is seen by everyone." - Milan Kundera
~~~~~~~~~~~
posted 11-02-09 10:07 PM ET (US)     7 / 8  
Some Windows 98 Games and older are, sadly, considered depreciated content by Microsoft. A significant amount of them don't work simply due to the alterations throughout newer releases of Windows.

Remember Oregon Trail for the old Macintoshes? It's not as close to that relationship, but it will eventually get to that point if Microsoft doesn't just give it a rest with it's operating systems.

[/Your Reign]
Take that, Player 2!
posted 11-03-09 10:38 AM ET (US)     8 / 8  
I bought the original Gold and I use a Ubisoft Gold to play.

BTW, slpstudio doesn't work with vista
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » AoERoR/Definitive Edition/Return of Rome » Explanation
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames