Please login or register

Scenario Design and Modding
Moderated by Suppiluliuma, PhatFish, Fisk, Epd999

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Diplomacy and Tribute - An Article
posted 09-04-05 07:36 PM ET (US)   
Recently I've started on this new article which addresses many areas relating to diplomacy and tribute, and related areas. The article began on the subject of the "Tribute" section of the per files, and has expanded a little to cover several areas relating to this. A lot of the article will be based on research/testing as well as existing knowledge.

The article will probably cover the following areas

-A short description of Per edit and the SNs related to tribute
-Tributes between CPU players, including how to avoid this
-Creative uses of certain SNs to vary the common tributes seen in scenarios
-Language dll variations on the messages
-The different messages based on tribute requests and outcomes
-Strong investigation of neutral diplomacy and all its mechanics, details and tricks
-Diplomacy between CPUs including two ways to change diplomacy
-Loyal ally behavior and uses/variations
-Splash damage tricks

Everyone is invited to take part in the article, whether they want to ask questions, suggest other areas to cover, add their knowledge, or do some research. You can post here or email me, and you can do your own research/testing/writing or ask me to assign you something. Questions are welcome from anyone, especially newer people.

Progress

Tribute Between CPU Players

Most designers don’t know of, or don’t give consideration to tributes between computer players. CPU players will happily exchange resources with their allies without the player even being aware of it – but this can mess up your scenario. For example, the CPU may give away resources that you want it to use to make units as defined by its AI. It may have 5000 gold at the start, but its ally may have none and demand it hand it over – then your carefully constructed AI may not have the gold it needs to train priests. Similarly, you might not give a CPU any resources, yet it could end up with many from a tribute, and start training troops and villagers, and then building.

Another factor that will affect the resources the computer has is difficulty – on hardest all CPU players including allies get an extra 2000 of every resource. This is a considerable factor that every designer should know of and anticipate when making their scenario. Like with tributes, the player may build units that it won’t produce on other difficulties, which may ruin your scenario. Because better players may play on hardest normally, it’s important to make the scenario playable on hardest, or at least to warn them not to play it on hardest if you can’t make the level playable. If you give the player AI and Per files that deny them the instructions to build there should be no problem with hardest though. A perfectly balanced scenario will take advantage of the extra resources to make the scenario much harder on hardest, while more accessible to regular players on moderate – this type of scenario is known as ‘difficulty dynamic’.

Richard Wilde
rswilde01(at)gmail(dot)com
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Review Thread - AoKH - GenieWiki

[This message has been edited by Richard Ames (edited 09-30-2005 @ 05:49 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-04-05 07:42 PM ET (US)     1 / 27  
Good luck with your articles, Richard.
I would like to know how to prevent the computer players from tributing to others. In my case, it doesn't have TCs or villagers, but they have a market.

"Hero" Mero
Roggan? Anonymous Ancient Villager
tcartaoe@yahoo.com

Age of Empires Heaven - AoE Cartography Workshop
posted 09-05-05 00:45 AM ET (US)     2 / 27  
Like humans they do need a market to tribute, but there's also a way to do this by tweaking the final two tribute numbers. This will be covered fully in the article, but thanks for that, I'll explain about the markets as well. I really dislike taking away markets because it's just one less building you have to work with, and the player can still receive tributes anyway.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 09-05-05 05:09 AM ET (US)     3 / 27  
Assign me a task, sir!

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 09-05-05 05:20 AM ET (US)     4 / 27  
Is there any particular area you're especially interested in?

If you like you could have a look at the area we're talking about today - tributes between computers. Just set up a simple scenario and see get a feel for the tributing between computers - all they will need is a market, some resources, and some allies, and you'll have a ball game. Many scenarios are affected by this phenomenon without the designer even knowing. Sometimes the computer will be given no resources and get some from a tribute, other times they will give a huge amount away and not even be able to buy troops. Once you have a feel for the process you can see if there's any patterns, relationships etc - e.g how much do they need before they will tribute, which players do they tribute to: is it random or is there a pattern, and so on. Post some screens of the achievements section if you like - I've seen CPUs with huge scores because they have literally tributed away hundreds of thousands of resources. Once you've had a look at the issue, try using the last two tribute SNs on the list in per edit to stop the tributes.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 09-05-05 05:53 AM ET (US)     5 / 27  
I'll get on to it.

While sausages are tasty, you might cut your finger with that pencil over there.
posted 09-05-05 06:20 AM ET (US)     6 / 27  
I made a small scenario with four computer players.

All four have 99999 of one resource and three buildings: a town center, a market and a barracks (I've often seen computers with default strategy build axemen or clubmen). I also gave everyone a villager. The map is full of berries, forest and gold.

First I split them up in two teams, and placed some axemen so they could fight each other.

That resulted in them fighting, and giving tribute to allied players.

http://people.freenet.de/liljulez/phil/Tribute1.JPG

After that, I allied them all.

While the amount of tribute the wood guy gave was identical, the food guy this time had a negative tribute (that means he received more than he gave) and the gold and stone players tributed away all their resources.

http://people.freenet.de/liljulez/phil/Tribute2.JPG

I'm not sure if that's any help, but I did my best.

More is to follow sometime later.

[This message has been edited by LittleFreak (edited 09-05-2005 @ 06:23 AM).]

posted 09-05-05 06:36 PM ET (US)     7 / 27  
That's an interesting idea to give them one resource each. We can see how much tribute is given or received, but we can only see totals, and we can't see which resources are tributed. The CPU seems quite erratic in this area. See if you can find any consistency with the tributes - are they different if you restart the scenario again? Also, start giving the player a customized per using the numbers 'SNCoopDemandTributeInterval' and 'SNCoopDemandTributeMaximum' to see how that works - I first used this in Drusus and Tiberius, but I have little idea how it works or which numbers/combinations will work to stop the tributes.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 09-07-05 00:27 AM ET (US)     8 / 27  
hmmm, intresting. I often in my AOE so the computer helping each, mind you. they are blood enemys.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v386/Tropper/Funk.jpg[/img]
AKA FireLegion_56 @ AOEH

Lastest Project:Classified

posted 09-07-05 04:35 AM ET (US)     9 / 27  

Quote:

hmmm, intresting. I often in my AOE so the computer helping each, mind you. they are blood enemys.

I'd love to be their friends then.

Anyway as I said in the Designers' Board I'll be happy to help, but right now our main computer is out so I have to use my dad's laptop with explorer.

I just noticed on your list you have language.dll variaitions so I can help with that and I'll also give second tests on your per files.

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
"I once met a girl who looked like a camel" - Rasteve
Death of the Morads | AoEH Design Series II | Out From the Cliffs
posted 09-08-05 05:23 AM ET (US)     10 / 27  
I've found more about allied victory tonight - I've found a new use for it that can make a new trick, which works without needing a workaround. Not a huge discovery, but I'm glad I figured out how it works fully now. There's still a couple of other possibilities I want to investigate with it too.

I'm looking into the messages - I've managed to get CPUs to use several differnent tribute messages, some which are rare. There may be more though - DA, if you could look for all the tribute messages you can spot in the dll that would help a lot - stuff like "Your petty offerings will not sway my determination to crush your empire!" I'm sure there are some more that I have not yet been able to activate - I remember seeing them in some scenarios.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 09-08-05 05:33 AM ET (US)     11 / 27  
They also have different ones for the different tribute outcomes e.g if you don't tribute they attack.

The Dark Archer

"Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein
posted 09-08-05 05:46 AM ET (US)     12 / 27  
Would you be able to make a list of them?

For hardest difficulty, after quite a few tests, I've confirmed that CPU players get exactly 2000 extra of every resource, including allied players.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 09-30-05 05:48 AM ET (US)     13 / 27  
Just a small update - I've added the first small section I've written. I also pasted the language.dll into a word document and it's much more readable.

Here's the all the messages in the dll - I'll try to find out how to activate all of them, although I think some aren't possible.

C o m p u t e r P l a y e r M e s s a g e s . Y o u t r a i t o r o u s w r e t c h ! V e n g e a n c e w i l l b e m i n e ! ! I t w a s w i s e t o d o a s I r e q u e s t e d . @ Y o u h a v e m a d e a w i s e c h o i c e - - t o g e t h e r w e s h a l l r u l e t h e w o r l d . - A l a s ! W e c o u l d h a v e m a d e a n u n s t o p p a b l e t e a m . " Y o u d a r e d e f y m e ? ! P r e p a r e t o d i e ! 4 T r i b u t e % d m o r e g o l d t o m e o r y o u w i l l b e d e s t r o y e d ! / T r i b u t e % d g o l d t o m e o r y o u w i l l b e d e s t r o y e d ! 0 I f y o u t r i b u t e m e % d g o l d , I w i l l a l l y w i t h y o u . 5 I f y o u t r i b u t e m e % d m o r e g o l d , I w i l l a l l y w i t h y o u . I Y o u r p e t t y o f f e r i n g s w i l l n o t s w a y m y d e t e r m i n a t i o n t o c r u s h y o u r e m p i r e ! ' Y o u r e m p i r e i s w o r t h y o f m y a l l e g i a n c e . % s i s a t t a c k i n g m e , p l e a s e h e l p ! , I a m p r e p a r i n g t o a t t a c k % s , p l e a s e j o i n m e .

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia

[This message has been edited by Richard Ames (edited 09-30-2005 @ 05:54 AM).]

posted 09-30-05 09:27 AM ET (US)     14 / 27  
The last two are especially interesting. I have never seen those.

posted 09-30-05 04:19 PM ET (US)     15 / 27  
Those could have been used in a unreleased version but on release became redundant. Probably they couldn't get the computer to decide when it would out and out attack.

CenturionZ_1
HG Angel
AoEH Staff

'In heaven an angel is nobody in particular.' - George Bernard Shaw
Age of Empires Heaven Agetoons About Me
posted 09-30-05 06:19 PM ET (US)     16 / 27  
About CPU players tributing together:

'SNCoopDemandTributeInterval' : I've wrote 3600 (It mean 1 hour)
'SNCoopDemandTributeMaximum' : I've wrote 1 as maximum tribute.

I've tested it over 30 minutes of playtesting and no Tribute during it. (I should see what happen when it's over 1 hour; I have a good doubt btw)

A "SNCoopDemandTributeInterval" longer than your own scn playing time and a very low cost tribute ("1" of course) should be a good compromise.

Me, Avenger and Hanz.

Tribulation Designs
posted 09-30-05 08:35 PM ET (US)     17 / 27  
Yes, also set to 0 instead of 1. I wouldn't test it for an hour, just change the value to something like 5 minutes. The cpu could perhaps also have it set to say half an hour, and start training units once it gets tribute.

Looking at the dll text, it looks like the % refers to the amount of tribute, then there is a letter afterwards, which is d at one part and s in another - it looks like these are variables of some sort. I think Dark Archer said you can leave them out to get rid of the variable part, but perhaps you could also insert them in.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
posted 09-30-05 09:01 PM ET (US)     18 / 27  

Quote:

Looking at the dll text, it looks like the % refers to the amount of tribute, then there is a letter afterwards, which is d at one part and s in another - it looks like these are variables of some sort. I think Dark Archer said you can leave them out to get rid of the variable part, but perhaps you could also insert them in.

Your half right when you say % refers to the amout of tribute. What % refers to though is a varible and %d is the tribute amout while %s in the player number. So what I think the % does is tell the language.dll that the varible it wants is in the per file beinging used.

Also those last messages look like they need a edited per file to make them activate.

The Dark Archer

posted 10-01-05 04:08 AM ET (US)     19 / 27  
I can't think of any way to activate them though - I think the last two must just be "Beta" messages.

*Your empire is worthy of my allegiance
    *You dare defy me?! Prepare to die!
    *Tribute [X] gold to me or you will be destroyed!
    *Your petty offerings will not sway my determination to crush your empire!
    *You have made a wise choice – together we shall rule the world.
    *It was wise to do as I requested

These are the messages I have been able to unlock so far. As you can see there are still one or two that I haven't uncovered. I'm listing what conditions cause the messages appear as well for the article.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia

[This message has been edited by Richard Ames (edited 10-01-2005 @ 04:08 AM).]

posted 10-01-05 05:25 AM ET (US)     20 / 27  
An interesting looking per number we should run some tests on is number 194. It says it makes computer players share information like humans chating and if anything is going to active those last two messages that will. But I'm afraid you're probably right about them being beta messages Rich.

The Dark Archer

posted 10-01-05 09:01 AM ET (US)     21 / 27  
That would make for an interesting timer. You could specify exactly how much time a player has to do something before the computer tributes resources to another one, make that computer train a unit and kill a blind lame priest with it.

posted 10-01-05 08:43 PM ET (US)     22 / 27  
Well, the last to messages your on about. Them being not used or leftovers form the beta.

I have seen one of them while playing a random map
"Your empire is worthy of my allegiance"
The cpu that aksed that I didn't attack during the game and and I trubite the cpu.

AKA FireLegion_56 @ AOEH

posted 10-02-05 05:08 AM ET (US)     23 / 27  
I always wondered what they where. I think TDA is right, there are probably some unused per commands who might activate them...
posted 10-04-05 06:04 AM ET (US)     24 / 27  

Quote:

I always wondered what they where. I think TDA is right, there are probably some unused per commands who might activate them...

I'm now starting to agree with Rich. There is a lot of other beta stuff in the language.dll so why not messages? But who knows.

The Dark Archer

posted 10-04-05 07:46 AM ET (US)     25 / 27  
I'd wonder why they would take these messages out though.

posted 10-04-05 05:31 PM ET (US)     26 / 27  
Mabye, they where going to chnage them.

Quote:

I have seen one of them while playing a random map
"Your empire is worthy of my allegiance"
The cpu that aksed that I didn't attack during the game and and I trubite the cpu.

I remember this game now. It there where 4 player 1pp and 3 cpu. We were all against each but the two cpu players fromed a team and were busy attack the other cpu. This was also on hardest as well.
Also, I didn't attack that cpu player that joined me. Also, I was nertual with the cpu before we formed an team.

AKA FireLegion_56 @ AOEH

posted 10-04-05 07:10 PM ET (US)     27 / 27  
I've got the "Your empire is worthy of my alliegance" message by tributing the CPU player when they are neutral (I think you must be ally or maybe neutral). There may be other ways to get it too. Thing is they don't always seem to say it either. I was also trying to determine the amount of gold for them to change - this was something Rich Parker once posted about way back - but the amounts I was getting seemed to vary. The whole "neutral" issue is one of the most difficult to write about and to get consistent results for.

Richard Wilde
Skype - Gmail - Firefox
Wikipedia
Age of Empires Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Modding » Diplomacy and Tribute - An Article
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires Heaven | HeavenGames