General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, LordKivlov, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Sacred FPH Delivers news of AOE3 - Computer Games Preview
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
posted 03-24-05 03:35 PM EDT (US)   
6 of the 8 civs were discussed and we were informed that US and Swiss are not in the game.

British - start with more vils + a free vil for each house built
Dutch - start with less vils but can build a bank to generate coin
French - easier to ally with natives, courier who is tough and expensive villager
Germans - tech not needed to get mercs, occasionally TC produces unique cav and a super vil with a wagon
Portuguese - get 2 covered wagons (which turn into TCs), get vision GP in some form
Spanish - baseline civ but shipments from HC are cheaper

Some info on gameplay

3 resources are food, wood and gold. There are silver and gold mines on maps too. It did not say if these were extra resources.

You begin with all the water areas of the map explored every game. You start with an explorer who has a sharpshooting ability to instant kill a unit (can be set to auto cast or player controlled), he learns other abilities as the game progresses. If he dies you can revive him for a cost.

There are five areas of you HC that you can improve through techs, etc: Economic and naval techs are researched at the trading company, soldiers are improved through the military academy, the cathedral improves buildings, "the manufacturing plant unlocks the factory (an advanced building that will steadily create the resource of your choice) and other special abilities", the harbor is where you can customize the visualizations of your HC.

You can recruit native american civs to fight with you by building outpost near them. Once allied you can get pop-free soldiers from the natives to fight along side you(sounds a bit like WC3 creeps).

There are trade routes accross the map where you can build an outpost to get constant coin income. You can later upgrade the route to stage coach and then train.

Once Victory Condition is to get 4 outpost built near trade routes or Indian villages and hold them for a set amount of time to win.

Formations effect the stats of your units in the game. In bombard formation damage recieved is spread accross the whole formation (alla armies in Civ3). In cover formation units take less damage from artillary but move slower. In defend formation hit points quadruple but units cannot move (and can only melee attack).

As said before ships are going to be huge and will allow you to control almost all the map by controlling the water (like in AOE). Also boats can train units.

There were several maps announce in this article too: Amazon, Caribbean, Carolina (lush green coastal map), The Great Lakes (Medit), The Great Plains, New England (cliffy coastline), SageUnay (one team inland other team on the water), Texas, Yukon (snowy with lots of gold).

Guide to Debugging RMS
Download my RMS here
Help improve RMS reviewing here
A monk I need a monk.
I thought therefore I was.
Replies:
posted 03-24-05 03:38 PM EDT (US)     1 / 98  
ZOMG real info?

Proud member of The DoJo Clan - Sponsored by www.made2own.com

ZOMG FO SHO U NO DIS

posted 03-24-05 03:39 PM EDT (US)     2 / 98  
Yes, real. No, Pascy won't give actual scans due to copyright

That makes Germans confirmed. Biggest mystery since January solved

[This message has been edited by Shusky (edited 03-24-2005 @ 03:41 PM).]

posted 03-24-05 03:41 PM EDT (US)     3 / 98  
Is there also a link, or is it on paper?

Cool the Dutch are confirmed!

posted 03-24-05 03:42 PM EDT (US)     4 / 98  
I finished reading that article too.. I posted here" http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=1&tn=21630&st=recent&f=1,0,0,10 asking if I could share this stuff.. I got my answer. They discuss a lot of new stuff and have nice screenshots too
posted 03-24-05 03:46 PM EDT (US)     5 / 98  
So, how 'bout screenie posting rights?

[This message has been edited by Shusky (edited 03-24-2005 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 03-24-05 03:50 PM EDT (US)     6 / 98  

Quote:

British OP.

ada
posted 03-24-05 03:57 PM EDT (US)     7 / 98  

Quoted from news:

*FPH sucks *

You are going to suffer

posted 03-24-05 04:00 PM EDT (US)     8 / 98  
I kick arse and don't even take names

Thanks for the info Pascal!

posted 03-24-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     9 / 98  
Nice info!

Quote:

As said before ships are going to be huge and will allow you to control almost all the map by controlling the water (like in AOE). Also boats can train units.

Hmm, I'm not sure what units boats should be able to build? ... It seems kinda silly as boats have a fixed crew, where would the new units come from? ... I'm not a huge Navy person, so I'm not liking the sound of the Sea being so important - Perhaps it would be better if there were more types of ship?

[This message has been edited by Scarlet (edited 03-24-2005 @ 04:47 PM).]

posted 03-24-05 04:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 98  
yea british is sound a litte strong, but maybe british houses cost more, take more time to build or they are limited.. if none of the above...hmmmmm

Death is sorrowful... Being alive is even more sorrowful...
posted 03-24-05 04:11 PM EDT (US)     11 / 98  
Hurray for Texas!!

Thanks for the info!

Flotiball - highest rank 2057 Miss you GT_Celica and GT clan!
also known as emeraldazn for AOE/AOK and Hana for AOE3
posted 03-24-05 04:12 PM EDT (US)     12 / 98  
A little more stuff

Nomadic start: Explorer, a few soldiers, villagers and a covered wagon (becomes town center when deployed).

Special tribe units:
*Aztec jaguar warriors with obsidian swords
*Nootka whalee hunters w/ bladed paddles
*Sioux rides
*Iroquois tomahawks
*Cree trackers
*Cherokees w/ rifles (in screen shots)

All are powerful but expensive, don't need houses to support their pop.

5 or 6 ships = "substantial navy" instead of ~30 on AOK

-nearby military units can add themselves to formations w/o commands (can disable this)

*Mercinaries (available after certain tech researched)- Catch is all players bid for same unit(s). Become stronger if you put off buying it at start, but risk loosing it to someone. sounds interestin ex. Swiss Pikemen

*New techs:
-Spanish-Petosi silver mines: Workers earn coin from silver mines faster, but lowers their HP
-British-Thin Red line: Raise units' HP but lowers speed

--turtling discouraged.. hahaha!
In land + water maps, it won't be enough to build just land units, because the navy will whoop ur arse! muwuhaha
Basic naval upgrades:
Caravel--> Galleon(large transport, secondary base can build land units) --> Frigate (1st effective warship) --> Bombard ship
--------------------------
Screenshots: 9 new screenies *drools*
In some of them, they show tow lineup of musketeers firing each other. The bullets leave a thin smokey trail. It looks cool, except I would expect the trails to disperse once they are a certain distance away from the musks. In the screenshots, this doesn't happen, so it looks kinda weird (but still cool hehe).
*There's also a SS of a cannon hitting a group of soldiers on ice, who are about to fly off!

[This message has been edited by Death_Warri0r_ (edited 03-24-2005 @ 05:34 PM).]

posted 03-24-05 04:15 PM EDT (US)     13 / 98  

Quote:

a covered wagon (becomes town center when deployed).

Will this work two-ways? (I.e. Town Centre -> Wagon)

posted 03-24-05 04:18 PM EDT (US)     14 / 98  
very nice info!!

"And my rage shall be enkindled, and I will strike you with the sword, and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless." Ex.: 22:24
posted 03-24-05 04:19 PM EDT (US)     15 / 98  

Quote:

Will this work two-ways? (I.e. Town Centre -> Wagon)

Good question! It doesn't say

But it does say that additional covered wagons, as 'shipments' are available in homecity to build new town centers.

posted 03-24-05 04:23 PM EDT (US)     16 / 98  
*drool*

but why are the germans in the game? I can't remember they colonized anything... but that's me and I'm not that good at history

posted 03-24-05 04:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 98  
posted 03-24-05 04:31 PM EDT (US)     18 / 98  
The colum on civs does mention that there was no Germany during that time, so in the game they serve as a mixture of Prussians, Austrians and others around that area.
I guess they just decided to call it Germany as more people are familiar with it now.
posted 03-24-05 04:36 PM EDT (US)     19 / 98  
nice map, but... what did 'germany' colonize in the 'new world' (not that I mind germany being in, I just want to know why )
posted 03-24-05 04:41 PM EDT (US)     20 / 98  

Quoted from Scarlet:

I'm not a huge Nazy person, so

Hmmm... "Nazy" could be perceived 2 ways; "Navy", or "Nazi". If the latter, good to know you're not a Nazi person

"Build a man a fire, and you warm him for a day. Set a man on fire, and you warm him for the rest of his life." -Chinese proverb

"If MacGyver and Jack Bauer were in a fight, Chuck Norris would win."

posted 03-24-05 04:43 PM EDT (US)     21 / 98  
Lol ... I'll fix that type-o right away!
posted 03-24-05 04:50 PM EDT (US)     22 / 98  
I don't understand the fuss about British being overpowered, the Portuguese 2 Covered Wagon/TC thing sounds much more serious (though the game will undoubtedly be balanced )

Anyone wanna take bets on the final two civs? I say Sweden, Russia or Venice!

All Hail Giant Squid World Domination
posted 03-24-05 05:01 PM EDT (US)     23 / 98  

Quote:

6 of the 8 civs were discussed and we were informed that US and Swiss are not in the game.
Dutch - start with less vils but can build a bank to generate coin
French - easier to ally with natives, courier who is tough and expensive villager
Germans - tech not needed to get mercs, occasionally TC produces unique cav and a super vil with a wagon
Portuguese - get 2 covered wagons (which turn into TCs), get vision GP in some form
Spanish - baseline civ but shipments from HC are cheaper

Kick ass info right there.

Some info on gameplay

Quote:

3 resources are food, wood and gold. There are silver and gold mines on maps too. It did not say if these were extra resources.

So will mines will be underground or old Age of.... style. I guess that silver is a nice change from gold.

Quote:

You begin with all the water areas of the map explored every game. You start with an explorer who has a sharpshooting ability to instant kill a unit (can be set to auto cast or player controlled), he learns other abilities as the game progresses. If he dies you can revive him for a cost.

This leads me to think that all the maps will have water since ES said that you will recive support from the Home city through ships. Which may mean that who ever controls the sea has higher chances of winning the game.

Quote:

There are five areas of you HC that you can improve through techs, etc: Economic and naval techs are researched at the trading company, soldiers are improved through the military academy, the cathedral improves buildings, "the manufacturing plant unlocks the factory (an advanced building that will steadily create the resource of your choice) and other special abilities", the harbor is where you can customize the visualizations of your HC.

Nice.

Quote:

You can recruit native american civs to fight with you by building outpost near them. Once allied you can get pop-free soldiers from the natives to fight along side you(sounds a bit like WC3 creeps).

Even the might expensive Elephants could be massed produced in all the age games, and how is the no pop cost going to balance the game?

Quote:

There are trade routes accross the map where you can build an outpost to get constant coin income. You can later upgrade the route to stage coach and then train.

The Age of Empires world will never look the same from now on(not that is a bad thing).

Quote:

Once Victory Condition is to get 4 outpost built near trade routes or Indian villages and hold them for a set amount of time to win.

Yay! New victory condition.

Quote:

Formations effect the stats of your units in the game. In bombard formation damage recieved is spread accross the whole formation (alla armies in Civ3). In cover formation units take less damage from artillary but move slower. In defend formation hit points quadruple but units cannot move (and can only melee attack).

Kind sound like the BFME formations and ]certanly a good adition to the game.

Quote:

Quote:

5 or 6 ships = "substantial navy" instead of ~30 on AOK

5-6 Ships will control the seas? Sound like floating catles to me.

Quote:

There were several maps announce in this article too: Amazon, Caribbean, Carolina (lush green coastal map), The Great Lakes (Medit), The Great Plains, New England (cliffy coastline), SageUnay (one team inland other team on the water), Texas, Yukon (snowy with lots of gold).

OMG! New England shall be the first map I'll play on Multiplayer.*lives in new England*

If you read this I am sorry to say that you just lost five seconds of your life that you wont be getting back.*

*Actual time may vary.

posted 03-24-05 05:32 PM EDT (US)     24 / 98  
Awesome. Plain awesome.

The new maps sound fun. New England especially. Lots of opportunities to blow soldiers over the cliffs.

posted 03-24-05 05:35 PM EDT (US)     25 / 98  

Quote:

-Spanish-Petosi silver mines: Workers earn coin from silver mines faster, but lowers their HP
-British-Thin Red line: Raise units' HP but lowers speed

I like the sound of that.

ada
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 4  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » Sacred FPH Delivers news of AOE3 - Computer Games Preview
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames