Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussions
Moderated by Maffia, JimXIX

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: How to search the forums
posted 09-26-05 11:37 AM EDT (US)   
I am currently rewriting the forums code from scratch, and while I can't promise you it'll have a viable search function in the new version, it is being worked on and hopefully we'll have a solution that doesn't bog down the servers or cause forum browsing to slow to a crawl.

In the meantime, here is how you can search within posts on AoE3H:

Go to www.google.com, type whatever you want to search for in the search box, add a space at the end, then add this to the end (without the quotes):

"site:aoe3.heavengames.com inurl:cgi-bin/forums"

The posts in google are at most a week old; new posts won't appear there until Google's bot indexes our site, which usually happens 2-3 times a month.

-Zen

Zen

[This message has been edited by Zen (edited 09-26-2005 @ 11:54 AM).]

Replies:
posted 09-26-05 11:45 AM EDT (US)     1 / 23  
a bit OT, but if you are busy with it i just found a bug.
if you copy paste an url, it adds [ url] [/url]
if you copy paste several urls in a row, it crashes (so if you paste them together, not if you do it 1 by 1)

"such a kind fellow!" ~ ķįŋğ_Ćħŗĩš_ĬĬ

Furby killer should be crowned leader of AOE forum ~ [SW_GD]Teutonic

[This message has been edited by schildpad (edited 09-26-2005 @ 11:47 AM).]

posted 09-26-05 11:54 AM EDT (US)     2 / 23  
Hrm... haven't seen the part about the multiple pastes, but the addition of the url tags around the URL when you paste is intentional (as a convenience feature)

Zen
posted 09-26-05 11:56 AM EDT (US)     3 / 23  
i know, but the crashing isnt (i hope :P)

posted 09-26-05 12:03 PM EDT (US)     4 / 23  
Could you post steps to reproduce the crashing bug?

Zen
posted 09-26-05 12:10 PM EDT (US)     5 / 23  
with a few random chosen websites it just didnt crash, but again when i try these:
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=t&number=1&dp=0&s_name=&s_subject=release
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=1&tn=24692&f=1,,0,all&st=50
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=st&fn=1&tn=24729&f=1,,0,all&st=10
just copy these 3 urls, do reply and paste them

posted 09-26-05 12:54 PM EDT (US)     6 / 23  
aha. Thanks... got it.

-Zen

Zen
posted 09-26-05 02:08 PM EDT (US)     7 / 23  
Zen, if you wish help recoding stuff i am fluent in perl/cgi (assuming you are recoding in that and not switching to php) and i am always willing to lend any help i can to the aoe community.

Brethren bound by justice. Souls who fear not death.
Soldiers of good. Champions of Light.
Together we stand forever. The Legion Of Light.
~The Legion Of Light~
posted 09-26-05 04:33 PM EDT (US)     8 / 23  
The search always worked good for me.

posted 09-27-05 07:16 PM EDT (US)     9 / 23  
Always worked WELL people.

The RoL forum colors make me sooo hungry.
-Unit Costs for 5-Philbo1-Explorer Micro-
B_E looks like a demented evil smiley.-Botolf

Stonewall Pwns
posted 09-27-05 07:57 PM EDT (US)     10 / 23  
I only had problems (with speed and "Error Messages") when I using a DSL (I think). now that I have cable connection, it's never been better .
posted 09-28-05 01:56 AM EDT (US)     11 / 23  
the search just sucks, you should be able t osearch in posts

posted 09-28-05 02:07 AM EDT (US)     12 / 23  
I prefer limiting the search to topics only. I usually have an easier time remember the topic a post is in than the post itself and if I'm trying to find general information the topic is the easiest method. On the other hadn it is always nice to have the option of searching through individual posts..
posted 09-28-05 02:40 AM EDT (US)     13 / 23  
Maveric_LOL - Thanks for the offer of help - the forums are being recoded in Ruby on Rails (running on FastCGI) right now, which is somewhat different from Perl/CGI and mod_php, but there are other projects that use mod_php that could use an extra pair of eyes and hands - those projects are not ready to start rolling yet, but when they do we'll be looking for additional help

---
Here's something you can't do with forum search:
Type this into google, without the quotes:

"+VIP +site:aoe3.heavengames.com +inurl:cgi-bin/forums/"

=)

Zen
posted 09-28-05 07:22 AM EDT (US)     14 / 23  
i suck at PHP mainly because im true to my hardcore perl/cgi roots and never bothered to really learn PHP or use it.
but im teh roxxor at perl/cgi

lol

Brethren bound by justice. Souls who fear not death.
Soldiers of good. Champions of Light.
Together we stand forever. The Legion Of Light.
~The Legion Of Light~
posted 09-30-05 05:24 AM EDT (US)     15 / 23  
You guys must make enough $$ of the ads, why not just buy a professional forum package? It would be a hell of a lot better than what this forum currently runs on and would be easier to maintain etc.

Try vb or something along those lines. Take a look at any other major AOE3 or game forum on the net, they all use decent forum software! In my opinion it's the only thing that is really hurting this site, its shoddy forum software.

StR_BalinorNZ
posted 09-30-05 02:13 PM EDT (US)     16 / 23  
I've never found a better forum in terms of ease of posting and reading than HG.

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
posted 09-30-05 06:17 PM EDT (US)     17 / 23  
We need a link somewhere to the dwnld section, because everyone is putting mods into general discssions. If people knew there was a dwnld section, then they would use it.

**Edit
Thx

Highlight The Flag and It turns Black!
################
################
################
################
################
################

[This message has been edited by ParCorn (edited 10-04-2005 @ 10:24 PM).]

posted 10-10-05 11:33 PM EDT (US)     18 / 23  
Hmm.. the copying/pasting multiple URLs actually freezes your browser.. intresting

Balinor, they DO have a professional forum package.. Ultimate Bulletin Board, but this board is less then 10% UBB now.. This site heavily customized their version of UBB, which makes it not possible to update the software without redoing EVERY single one of their modifications.

Plus it better to have your own version of the board, why wait around for somebody else to make modifications to the board (and HOPE they make the modifications you want!) when you can just do it yourself? Plus with your own version of the board, your less suspectible to vulnerabilities.. Example: With phpBB, one of the most popular boards on the net.. a few months ago another site that I go to that uses phpBB almost lost their hosting because of a virus that exploited a vulnerability in the phpBB software (and it wasn't only them, thousands of phpBB sites were affected). With the HG version of UBB, sure, there's vulnerabilities, in fact, there's probably more vulnerabilities then the latest version of UBB, but since this is the ONLY site that uses THIS particular version of UBB, nobody's going to look for a way to exploit the board to send out spam or whatever, people would rather look for a vulnerability that allows them to exploit thousands of sites, so having their own version of the board offers some security since it is unique (plus their coding is not public, whereas anybody can go and download the latest copy of UBB and look for holes, not having their code spread around is also a GREAT security measure, it's tough to hack something when you don't know how it works)

Having a "professional" forum package is actually cheaper (keep in mind that Zen's coding time = money, even if HG isn't paying him to do the coding, time STILL counts as money) then designing and maintaining your own forum software, but it leaves you more open to exploits, and doesn't allow you to heavily customize it (since the next update will wipe out your modifications)

Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
Preparation can only take you so far... After that you gotta take a few leaps of faith.
posted 10-19-05 08:18 AM EDT (US)     19 / 23  
If you are upgrading why not make it so users can see a history of their own posts. Dont tell me you guys dont have enough cash i saw that topic when a bunch of hgs quit. I know exatclyu how much you guys have.

It is the english that will know fear: AoE2

[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c371/Darkestfear2/darkestfearsig02.jpg[/img]

posted 10-23-05 04:00 PM EDT (US)     20 / 23  
Why don't you guys just use something that is has an already working codebase, such as vBulletin? I think that would be an excellent option to this forum
posted 10-23-05 05:02 PM EDT (US)     21 / 23  
I will give a cookie to anyone who can point me to a forum which is easier to browse and use than HG.

///scipio_africanus\\\
"Scipio rules. Nelson sucks." - Jax
"I have a shrine to Scipio in my closet."- Doitzel
"posting a link with no sort of comment or explanation is not something we readily condone in OD." - GillB
The Gamers' Manifesto|Welcome to HG!|The Sanatorium
Winner of the Order of Doitzel!
posted 10-24-05 03:40 AM EDT (US)     22 / 23  
I'll add a cookie of my own to that offer.
posted 11-03-05 06:35 PM EDT (US)     23 / 23  
I'll take the cookies. The Apolyton Civilization sites have several advantages over the Heavenly sites. One is a "Go to first unread message" within a thread, another is to provide a printable version of a thread. I believe they also have searches that work within message text as well as subject headers.

The Tilted Mill Community site for Children of the Nile also has those features.

This site is good, those are better, and all of them are great resources for players. I don't have time to make all the mistakes myself, so I'm very grateful for the collective wisdom on this site and on those sites.

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussions » How to search the forums
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames