Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Economic French FF
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-07-07 09:44 PM EDT (US)   
I figured I'd post the general frame for a new type of French FF. Unlike most FF's, you'll be concentrating on your economy and taking advantage of one of the best unit combos in the game, cuirs and skirms, instead of spamming shipments.

Age1

A

Create 6Cdb+ship 3Cdb (14CdB total). Age up with 500 food. During the age up, build a market and research the mining tech and hunting dogs. Queue 3 CdB.

B

Create 6Cdb+ship 3Cdb (14CdB total). Age up with 400 wood. During the age up, concentrate most of your CdB on gold and 7-8 CdB on food. Queue 4 CdB.

Age2

A

Ship 4CdB. When you have 700 food, gather 500 food crates and age up when you have 1000 gold gathered from mining. Go up to age3 with any poli you want, typically I'll go for 4 hussars since I like to raid and keep my enemy on his toes. If you suspect your enemy is massing heavy infantry or performing a delayed rush, 6 skirms may be a better idea.

Once you've clicked age up, gather at least 300 wood for a stable and a house. Then spread your economy so that you have 10 CdB on hunting, 3 on lumberjacking for future houses, and the rest on gold. Amazingly enough, you will hit age3 almost at the same time as you would if you used 700 gold to FF .. but with a 31 villager effective economy.

B

Ship 4CdB. When you've gathered 1200 food and 1000 gold, click age up with any poli you want. Typically I'll go for 4 hussars since I like to raid and keep my enemy on his toes. If you suspect your enemy is massing heavy infantry or performing a delayed rush, 6 skirms may be a better idea.

Once you've clicked age up, Gather the 400 wood and build a stable, a house, and a market. Gather the necessary resources for hunting dogs and the mining upgrade, and research them as soon as you can. Then spread your economy so that you have 10 CdB on hunting, 3 on lumberjacking for future houses, and the rest on gold. Amazingly enough, you will hit age3 almost at the same time as you would if you used 700 gold to FF .. but with a 31 villager effective economy.

Age3

A & B

Ship 8 skirms when ever you recieve your first shipment, and queue as many cuirs as possible. You should be able to have a batch of 5 at first, followed by another. If you aged with 4 hussars, raid! If you aged with 6 skirms see if you can hit and run your enemy's units if he forward based, or assist in your explorer capturing a large treasure.

When your 8 skirms arrive, take your 8 or 14 skirms and 5 cuirs and go on the offensive. Continue shipping in skirms, and then 2 falcs, while continuing the pumping of cuirs.

When possible, either buy some wood from the market or move CdB to wood so that you can buy a barracks, and then pump skirms and cuirs continously. Remember to keep pumping CdB from your TC as well however, economy takes highest priority.

I realize many of you will probably question the market and economic theory. The whole point is to have the economic capacity to get as many units as as quickly. With market upgrades, economic theory, and France's slightly superior economy in general, you can attain a 25% economy advantage over your opponent and overwhelm him. I can't remember a game in which I've used this strategy and lost, but it's certainly not flawless.

Ovbiously this won't work against most hard rushes. However, CdB do have an edge against most infantry units compared to villagers. If you think that he's rushing but your too far into your strategy to stop, research the villager techs at the market and your CdB become much stronger vs your enemies units, and should, combined with MM, allow you to last long enough to reach age3.

Cards required:

3 CdB
4 CdB
8 Skirms

Cards reccomended:

Economic Theory
1000 Wood
7 Skirms
3 Cuirs
2 Falcs
Cav Combat
Infantry Hitpoints
Cav Hitpoints
AA
Fort
Pioneers
Thoroughbreds
Factory
Robber Barons

Anyway, leave comments and good luck. This may or may not suit your playstyle, but it certainly compliments my wonderfully so I'm guessing there are a select few out there in which will find it useful.

France vs Ports
France vs Spain (AI)

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_

[This message has been edited by Brtnboarder495 (edited 04-09-2007 @ 09:03 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-08-07 02:14 PM EDT (US)     1 / 32  

Quote:

You just won't have the most OP unit ever.

I thought that was Agents pre 1.1?

anyways, looks good, i'll need to try this sometime; been slowly leveling my french

since you have a market already, you could also research the villy improvements against a rush; that way he can't kill your CdB, not easily anyways

Currently retired from AOE3... moved on to LOTRO... yeah an MMO... but a fun one!
Hockey fan for Life:
"I believe the Canucks of Vancouver are formidable warriors." -Teal'c, Stargate SG-1
posted 02-08-07 02:51 PM EDT (US)     2 / 32  
I've been doing EXACTLY this with my frenchies for some time now.

With one exception: I usually used 700W instead of economic theory. I guess 700W is better for lazy guys like me who like having no housing problems doe some time .

But I can see where you are coming from and guess E.T. (lol) is probably a better choice. I'll test it.

PS: vs other FFs I recommend using 400W guy over 500F so you can get a TP inbetween. Will slow you down a bit but will make your shipments come faster.

Vs Rushes this isnt too bad especially since 6 skirms kill any rushing siege units. Add MM, maybe even 8 xbows instead of e.t. and some market upgraded cdbs and its gg rush. (use the garrison-ungarrison trick with your cdbs for greatest sucess)

Once in fortress, cuirs+skirms will crush (almost) any age2 combo unless you are HEAVILY outnumbered.

[This message has been edited by Voltiguer (edited 02-08-2007 @ 02:53 PM).]

posted 02-09-07 08:56 PM EDT (US)     3 / 32  

Quote:

Amazingly enough, you will hit age3 almost at the same time as you would if you used 700 gold to FF .. but with a 31 villager effective economy

Where did all those 31 vils come from??

You said you age with 14 vils, and then on age 2, you queued 3 vils, and shipped in another 4. That leaves you with only 21!

I think its a typing mistake?

I MADE IT!!!
I posted in a closed thread after a mod!

Meet the bagpipe performer!

posted 02-09-07 11:26 PM EDT (US)     4 / 32  

Quote:

You said you age with 14 vils, and then on age 2, you queued 3 vils, and shipped in another 4. That leaves you with only 21!

You also researched market techs and shipped economic theory, plus the automatic French economic growth bonus, 5%. In total that will make your CdB work 20% quicker, and we can't forget that CdB work 25% faster than normal vils. So effectively you have a 26.25Cdb/30.45Villager economy.

posted 02-10-07 12:07 PM EDT (US)     5 / 32  
I just saw a rec of starsky vs ruthless, where they both did almost exactly the same thing, except they used 400 wood instead of the food.
posted 02-10-07 09:05 PM EDT (US)     6 / 32  

Quote:

You also researched market techs and shipped economic theory, plus the automatic French economic growth bonus, 5%. In total that will make your CdB work 20% quicker, and we can't forget that CdB work 25% faster than normal vils. So effectively you have a 26.25Cdb/30.45Villager economy.

humm...I got it now, thanks!

But I think it´s not clear enough in the original thread, sry.

Liked this strat, I´m sure to try it out!

I MADE IT!!!
I posted in a closed thread after a mod!

Meet the bagpipe performer!

posted 02-28-07 04:38 PM EDT (US)     7 / 32  
I'm not bumping anything

Did you get that rec out?

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][] Stonewall J [][][][][][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
posted 03-11-07 10:01 PM EDT (US)     8 / 32  
:O You are right!

I'm sorry for forgetting, it's a bit late now and tomorow will be busy.
Let me see if I can at least get a demonstration against a computer completed tonight.

posted 03-11-07 10:37 PM EDT (US)     9 / 32  
I added game vs AI which is pretty good for showin strat, and game vs stophon4 although it strays from the strat after a while.

posted 03-11-07 11:33 PM EDT (US)     10 / 32  
ive tried this,
i is bad against an enemy that makes outposts till you get those those 2 falcs. then its gg.
Also, the choice for the fortress does not include the cavavrly scout. This stategy cannot be followed strictly. All the stable and houses cannot be made without some woodchoppers. You have to addapt to the game.
I like this strategy though, it owns.
posted 04-07-07 07:53 PM EDT (US)     11 / 32  
Looks like a nice solid FF. I never really thought about using economic theory.

ESO2: mista_mista
"Baby, you like shopping? Well, I like sieging town centers and raiding villagers..." -DONofCHRON
"Then theres the aztecs. With their 35 guys on the pit they can spit out vills faster than george bush can spit out troops into Iraq." -Cookiecrisp13
posted 04-07-07 09:48 PM EDT (US)     12 / 32  
This is a good strat vs everyone but dutch/spanish/iro. Its also a very good strat on texas cuz the extra defenses and rax give you time for your eco advantage to kick in vs card spam. I'll have to try it out with ET instead of 700 wood, I usually use that for the houses/rax/stable/or tp that i need.
posted 04-08-07 00:04 AM EDT (US)     13 / 32  
ET compliments the French because it's an investment card, or in other words it can heavily pay off but takes some time. France has the ability to repel attacks and therefore remain alive longer therefore increasing their chances of bolstering their already stronger-than-normal economy.

Against a civ like Iro, I'm honestly clueless as I think I've only had one or two of these situations. My guess would be a delayed pike+xbow rush (pikes first to get TC down, xbows if he hits age3 for FP). Dutch just requires xbow rush, either one barracks or two, usually the faster and stronger it hits, the better. Spain is real rough too, as cuirs, your "star" unit becomes useless thanks to rods and pikes being spammed from shipments. Goons with micro are most likely your best friend, combined with your 2 falc shimpent and some skirms. I find games vs Spain as French the hardest overall.

Thanks for the feedback and comments

posted 04-08-07 02:22 PM EDT (US)     14 / 32  
This looks good, I'm turning to my french hc for a while after I got annoyed at all my losses simply because of aztecs upness so I'm going to french until they get boosted. So this looks good to try out.

One thing I'd like to know is were your getting all this wood for your upgrades stables and houses with only 4 cdb on wood for a short time, which is supposdly after you've built them.

p.s. I'm clueless against iro as any civ, any enlightenment anyone can give me would be welcomed

[This message has been edited by Destiny_Devil (edited 04-08-2007 @ 02:51 PM).]

posted 04-08-07 03:32 PM EDT (US)     15 / 32  
Just tried the strat (on vanilla though), 2v2. I'm French, my teammate is Ottoman and the badguys are French and Ottoman. My teammate sucked so by the time he had 5 jans the other ottoman came running with 20. His town got whiped quite quick but he came over to me with a bunch of villagers. I had time to make a bunch of skirmishers while his town went down + some cuirs for their skirmishers - with a little micro they went down quick.

Awesome strat, it worked well - we won the game in the end. ;D

Just a question though: Everyone here seems to be playing TWC so I guess that's what this strat is for as well. Economic Theory, is that the same as Northwestern Passage or something? It makes CdB 20% faster.

posted 04-08-07 03:53 PM EDT (US)     16 / 32  
Economic Theory makes all your vills and fishing boats gather 10% faster

Old Indian: Once upon a time, a woman was picking up firewood. She came upon a poisonous snake frozen in the snow. She took the snake home and nursed it back to health. One day the snake bit her on the cheek. As she lay dying, she asked the snake, "Why have you done this to me?" And the snake answered, "Look, bitch, you knew I was a snake."
posted 04-08-07 04:11 PM EDT (US)     17 / 32  
Ah that's a shame. Is it TWC? ..I gotta buy that expansion soon.
posted 04-08-07 09:49 PM EDT (US)     18 / 32  
Economic Theory is TWC only, yes.

The Optimist believes that we live in the best possible world. The Pesimist believes this to be true.
posted 04-09-07 01:45 PM EDT (US)     19 / 32  
posted 04-09-07 03:50 PM EDT (US)     20 / 32  
After I've gathered the gold crates for Fortress I switch the gold miners over to wood to get the wood I need at least.
posted 04-09-07 04:49 PM EDT (US)     21 / 32  
It's actually possible to leave only 3 CdB on wood and have enough wood plus a bit extra for a stable by the time you hit age3.

Knowns:

Age3 up time is 110 seconds.
1 CdB with ET gathers .682 wood/s.
A Stable costs 200 wood.

As from my gathering guide, you take the cost of the item, divided by the respective gather rate, in this case .682. That will grant you the raw amount of villagers per second it will take to gather that amount of resources. You can then divide by a time (seconds) or villagers to determine the other unknown. With that known:

200/.682 = 293.3
293.3/4 = 73.3

So it will require 73.3 seconds of 4 CdB's gathering wood with ET to gather 200 wood. Since 73.3 is obviously less than 110, you'll easily have enough wood for a stable before you hit age3, assuming perfect micro and no idle time. This is unrealistic so that's why I say use 4 CdB instead of 3 (which requires 97.7 seconds), because 3 would only leave you with ~ 10 seconds to mess up or for idle time. In addition, you will need houses too so its good to have that extra wood.

[This message has been edited by Brtnboarder495 (edited 04-09-2007 @ 04:50 PM).]

posted 04-09-07 05:54 PM EDT (US)     22 / 32  
In this build order you build, 3 houses, market, stable and research upgrades costing 125 wood. All together thats 625 wood to build with starting wood and the 200 gathered while aging.
posted 04-09-07 08:37 PM EDT (US)     23 / 32  
But you build the market and research those upgrades during age up to age2, not 3. And the market is not necesary, mainly because if it delays your strategy too much to the point where it could gamble your chances of success, forget it. Or, ship 700 wood instead of ET. This is just a set of guidelines for suggestions, you must adapt it to your own play style and game situation.

Having three houses by the time you hit age3 isn't necesary either, as long as you have at least one to cover the age up units and CdB population, you can continue building more later as your population expands and you require it.

You ARE right about when I say to build houses in the guide, so I changed that and edited it a bit to account for the 1.03 changes

posted 04-10-07 07:14 AM EDT (US)     24 / 32  
Ok thanks for that, theres another way to do it I saw yesterday, I watched a rec of ourk vs dzemzil tactic yesterday (I hated watching the end as poor demzil deserved to win but he was playing aztec so he lost) what he did was put 2 cdb on wood once he clicked age up to col and kept them there for a good while using them to gather the crates etc.
posted 04-11-07 02:53 PM EDT (US)     25 / 32  
Yes

I'm somewhat suprised this thread hasn't generated more activity, as this is a very comparable basis for the strategy many experts are using with French now.

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Economic French FF
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames