Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: I have an idea for an AoE I Remake
posted 11-12-05 10:15 PM EDT (US)   
Age of Empires: Conception of Civilization

Ages

*Primitive Age (Pleistocene to Paleolithic times; food-gathering and woodcutting very important)
*Agricultural Age (farming is enabled; gold and stone become of slightly greater importance)
*Civilized Age (Fortresses can be constructed; gold and stone are very heavily emphasized)
*Classical Age (Technological climate; Wonders can be built)

Buildings

*Town Center (where you create Villagers)
*House (boosts population)
*Farm (provides food during and after the Agricultural Age; may be exhausted and need to be rebuilt eventually; enemy units may "convert" a farm by tasking one of their own Villagers to gather from it)
*Granary (deposit food here; also center of food-related research)
*Storage Yard (deposit wood, stone, and gold here; also center of research related to woodcutting and mining)
*Barracks (creates Light and Heavy Infantry as well as Archers)
*Stable (creates Cavalry)
*Temple (creates Magicians; center of religiously related research)
*Armory (center of research related to weaponry and armor; infantry units close to the Armory with inflict 5-10% more damage)
*Market (creates Merchants; also deposit center for the gold they earn)
*Dock (creates ships; deposit center for Merchant Ships' earnings and research center for seafaring-related research)
*Fortress (shoots back at enemies; friendlies can garrison here for safety)
*Tower (like a smaller version of a Fortress; detects most Spies except Ninja)
*Wall (keeps unwelcome enemies out)
*Gate (allows friendlies to move through walls)
*Wonder (each civilization has a unique Wonder that grants them special powers)

Unit Classes

*Villagers (gather resources and build structures)
*Fishing boats
*Magicians (convert enemies and heal friendlies)
*Merchants (sell food, wood, and stone in exchange for gold)
*Merchant ships (nautical Merchants)
*Spies (invisible to all except Scouts [that is, until the Scouts expose them]; that can steal technologies from enemies and poison structures so that they cannot create any units)
*Scouts (high LOS; can expose Spies so that they are visible to all)
*Light Infantry (use swords or clubs; counter Heavy Infantry and Siege Weapons)
*Heavy Infantry (use spears or pikes; counter Cavalry and Siege Weapons)
*Archers (use bows, javelins, or slings; counter Light Infantry)
*Horse Cavalry (cavalry on horses; can be created by Europeans, Amerindians, and East Asians; counter Archers)
*Camel Cavalry (cavalry on camels; can be created by Africans and Southwest Asians; counter Horse Cavalry and Archers)
*Elephant Cavalry (sluggish cavalry on elephants; can be created by Africans, Southwest Asians, and East Asians; counter most units except Heavy Infantry)
*Siege Weapons (catapults and ballistae; counter buildings)
*Arrow Ships (ranged sea units that counter Ram Ships; can transport land units across water)
*Ram Ships (melee sea units that counter Siege Ships; can transport land units across water)
*Siege Ships (ranged sea units that counter Arrow Ships and coastal buildings; can transport land units across water)

Cultures and Civilizations (cultures dictate the appearance of a civilization's armor and units)

African Culture

*Egyptians (UU: Chariot Archer, Horse Cavalry that combines the speed of a horse with the range of an archer; 20% more hitpoints than other Horse Cavalry)
*Bantu (UU: Impi, Heavy Infantry that moves 25% as fast as other units in the same class)
*Mali (UU: Merchant Warrior, Camel Merchant that fights back with a 10% greater attack rate than most Camel Cavalry)

Amerindian Culture

*Maya (UU: Atl-Atl Thrower, Archer that inflicts 30% more damage than other Archers)
*Mexicans (UU: Sacrificial Priest, Magician that kills enemies after converting them; the "sacrificed" enemies add a little food to your food stockpile)
*Inca (UU: Chasqui Scout, Scout with fighting ability that has 25% more LOS than other Scouts)
*Lakota (UU: Sunka Wakan, Horse Cavalry that combines the speed of a horse with the range of a mounted archer; 20% faster than other Horse Cavalry)

East Asian Culture

*Chinese (UU: Rocket Launcher, Siege Weapon that inflicts 50% as much punishment compared with other Siege Weapons)
*Japanese (UU: Ninja, Spy with fighting ability; cannot be spotted by towers, only Scouts can expose his presence)
*Cambodians (UU: Siege Elephant, elephant cavalry with a ballista mounted on it; has both a melee attack with its trunk and a ranged attack involving the ballista)
*Mongols (UU: Tarkan, horse cavalry that is 15% more effective against buildings than other horse cavalry)

Southwest Asian Culture

*Mesopotamians (UU: Assyrian Bowman, Archer with 25% more range than other Archers)
*Indians (UU: Elephant Archer, Elephant Cavalry that combines the might of an elephant with the range of an archer)
*Arabs (UU: Bedouin Warriors, Camel Cavalry that is 20% faster than other Camel Cavalry)

Mediterranean Culture

*Romans (UU: Legionary, Heavy Infantry with 15% more armor than other Heavy Infantry)
*Greeks (UU: Helepolis, Siege Weapon with 35% more hitpoints than other Siege Weapons; can also transport other military units)
*Phoenicians (UU: Trireme, ram ship that is 20% faster than other ram ships)

European Culture

*Norse (UU: Longship, arrow ship that fires at a 10% faster rate than other arrow ships)
*Celts (UU: Woad Raider, Light Infantry that outruns other Light Infantry by 10%)
*Cro-Magnon (UU: Bola Thrower, Archer that can trap enemy Infantry and Archers for a short while)

Wonders

African Wonders

*Egyptian Great Pyramid of Giza (farms don't exhaust)
*Bantu Great Zimbabwe (increases population limit by 100)
*Mali Mudbrick Mosque (generates a little gold every 15 seconds)

Amerindian Wonders

*Mayan Great Jaguar Temple (Magicians can detect and expose Spies)
*Mexican Great Temple of Tenochtitlan (enemies inflict 15% less damage in your territory)
*Incan Machu Picchu (Fortresses can detect and expose Spies)
*Lakota Ceremonial Gathering Place (Villagers' attack rates increase by 20%)

East Asian Wonders

*Chinese Forbidden Palace (generates free Light Infantry every 30 seconds)
*Japanese Horyu-ji Temple of Nara (Ninja can swim across water and down steep slopes such as cliffs, but cannot attack on these terrains)
*Cambodian Angkor Wat (Villagers can gather wood and stone without needing to dispose them at a Storage Yard)
*Mongolian Tent of the Great Khan (Free Tarkans are slowly generated at each Town Center)

Southwest Asian Wonders

*Mesopotamian Hanging Gardens (generates a little food every 15 seconds)
*Indian Taj Mahal (Elephant Cavalry is cheaper by 50%)
*Arabic Masjid al Haram Mosque of Mecca (Magicians can convert most buildings except Walls, Towers, Fortresses, and Wonders)

Mediterranean Wonders

*Roman Collosseum (Heavy Infantry in your territory inflicts 15% more damage)
*Greek Collosus of Rhodes (ships can carry 10 more units than normal)
*Phoenician Temple of Reshep in Byblos (ships move 20% faster)

European Wonders
*Norse Tower of Odin (every time you raze an enemy building, you earn 25% of that building's cost in resources)
*Celtic Stonehenge (gold is generated slowly during battle, analogous to the AoM Norse gaining favor through Battle)
*Cro-Magnon Burial Mound (extends the time Bola Throwers can trap enemies by 50%)

Wild Animals

African Animals

*Zebra (non-aggressive)
*Gazelle (non-aggressive)
*Oryx (non-aggressive)
*Ibis (non-aggressive)
*Gorilla (non-aggressive)
*Giraffe (non-aggressive)
*Hippopotamus (aggressive if provoked)
*White rhinoceros (aggressive if provoked)
*African buffalo (aggressive if provoked)
*African elephant (aggressive if provoked)
*Lion (always aggressive)
*Spotted Hyena (always aggressive)
*Crocodile (always aggressive)

Amerindian Animals

*Bison (non-aggressive)
*Whitetail Deer (non-aggressive)
*Elk (non-aggressive)
*Pronghorn (non-aggressive)
*Tapir (non-aggressive)
*Peccary (aggressive if provoked)
*Wooly mammoth (aggressive if provoked)
*Moose (aggressive if provoked)
*Megatherium (aggressive if provoked)
*Brown bear (aggressive if provoked)
*Jaguar (always aggressive)
*Saber-toothed cat (always aggressive)
*Wolf (always aggressive)

East Asian Animals

*Fallow deer (non-aggressive)
*Macaque (non-aggressive)
*Chicken (non-aggressive)
*Panda (non-aggressive)
*Wild boar (aggressive if provoked)
*Brown bear (aggressive if provoked)
*Asian elephant (aggressive if provoked)
*Tiger (always aggressive)
*Crocodile (always aggressive)

Southwest Asian Animals

*Gazalle (non-aggressive)
*Oryx (non-aggressive)
*Macaque (non-aggressive)
*Aurochs (aggressive if provoked)
*Asian elephant (aggressive if provoked)
*Tiger (always aggressive)

European/Mediterranean Animals

*Fallow deer (non-aggressive)
*Megaloceros deer (non-aggressive)
*Bison (non-aggressive)
*Elk (non-aggressive)
*Caribou (non-aggressive)
*Wild boar (aggressive if provoked)
*Moose (aggressive if provoked)
*Aurochs (aggressive if provoked)
*Woolly mammoth (aggressive if provoked)
*Wolf (always aggressive)

Real World Maps

Remember the real world maps from AoK:TC? These maps are like those, except each map (except the last one) is dedicated to one cultural group, so only civilizations belonging to that cultural group can play that map. Each map is swarming with ferocious barbarians and pirates, rogue military units and ships that attack any players approaching them.

*Africa: Play as the Egyptians, Bantu, or Mali in the cradle of Homo sapeins. Africa's savannahs, rainforests, and Nile floodplains support thriving ecosystems with wildlife, but the northern third of the continent is a humongous expanse of infertile desert.
*Americas: Play as the Maya, Mexicans, Inca, or Lakota on both major continents in the Western Hemisphere. The Americas have almost every biome on the planet, including steamy jungles, frigid tundra, and grassy prairies.
*East Asia: Play as the Chinese, Japanese, or the Cambodians on the land of bamboo and the rising sun. East Asia, with the exception of the Mongolian steppes, is a lush paradise, its scenic hills and river valleys coated with jungles, forests, and bamboo groves.
*Southwest Asia: Play as the Mesopotamians, Indians, or Arabs in the land often called the "Middle East". Most of this part of Asia is a rugged desert, but some of the earliest civilizations have managed to develop in the verdant oases of Mesopotamia and India.
*Mediterranean: Play as the Romans, Greeks, or Phoenicians alongside the balmy Mediterranean sea. Naval combat is very important, as most of the map is covered by ocean.
*Europe: Play as the Norse, Celts, or Cro-Magnons in the feral wilds of Europe. Barbarians are unusually common within the European continent, but mammoth herds should provide plenty of food early on.
*The Entire World: Play as every civilization in the game on a huge map of our planet. CONQUER THE WORLD!

Miscellaneous Features

*Fertility differences among terrains: Various terrains differ in fertility, which measures how much food that farms on those terrains will yield before exhaustion. Some terrains, such as grasslands and alluvial floodplains, are very fertile, but others, especially sand and rock, have little agricultural value.
*Graphics: Fully 3D. Water reflects, and ocean waves undulate at the beach. Metal and other smooth substances shine in the sunlight. Units leave trails such as drag-marks and footprints in dirt and snow. The sky is strewn with white and gray clouds.
*Movement and Terrain: Units move faster on sand and grass and slower on ice, snow, and mud. Units also slow down significantly when moving through bushes.
*Plants: Grassy terrains with have actual blades of grass rendered on them (like the grass seen in Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis). Undergrowth grows among forest trees. Plants quiver as units move through them, and are trampled and uprooted during intense battles (and then regrow during the aftermath).
*Wildlife: Animals reproduce and then die of old age. Predators hunt and tackle their prey, who may fight back. Herbivores graze on grassy terrain and bushes.
*Territory: Town Centers and Fortresses create a radius called territory. Building is faster in territory that belongs to you and slower in enemy and unclaimed territory.
*Day/Night Cycle: During games on random maps or Real World Maps, there is a day/night cycle implemented. The speed and LOS of all units decreases during the night hours, and wild animals fall asleep.

[This message has been edited by Underpants Man (edited 11-26-2005 @ 10:09 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-12-05 10:54 PM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
Excellent thread here: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums/display.cgi?action=ct&f=9,22525,60,90

Enjoy! My suggestions start halfway down the page. Feel free to add to that thread! You seem very excited.

posted 11-13-05 05:05 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
UPDATE:

Added Wonders, Wildlife, and Real World Maps. Sumerians replaced with Arabs, and Assyrians renamed "Mesopotamians", referring collectively to the various civilizations of Mesopotamia (e.g. Babylon, Sumeria, and Akkad, as well as Assyria).

UPDATE 2:

Added Miscellaneous Concepts.

Property is theft! Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

There is no human institution that approaches totalitarianism as closely as a business corporation. I mean, power is completely top-down. You can be inside it somewhere and you take orders from above and hand 'em down. Ultimately, it's in the hands of owners and investors. Noam Chomsky

An Anarchist Faq|Infoshop

[This message has been edited by Underpants Man (edited 11-13-2005 @ 06:31 AM).]

posted 11-13-05 06:35 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  

Quote:

Enjoy! My suggestions start halfway down the page. Feel free to add to that thread! You seem very excited.

I may contribute to that thread, but I'm not very knowledgeable about the various cultures conquered by Rome.

There is no human institution that approaches totalitarianism as closely as a business corporation. I mean, power is completely top-down. You can be inside it somewhere and you take orders from above and hand 'em down. Ultimately, it's in the hands of owners and investors. Noam Chomsky

posted 11-13-05 09:56 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Nice job. Very nice job. AOE1 is still my favorite of the 3. After reading this I think I'm going to go play it now!

But I think you should add the Apache to the list of civilizations and their UU should be the Kiowa which are a raiding cavalry that give bonuses to gold whenver they kill a unit or destroy a building.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 11-13-05 12:24 PM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
The spies idea is great
posted 11-13-05 12:29 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
No offense but how much research have you done, I have spotted loads of mistakes, but it is a good idea but the main problem is you should call the native americans native americans alot of them are offened by being called indians.
posted 11-13-05 01:35 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
Actually, many of them are only offended if you use it in the wrong context, though I understand what you mean and admire you're care for their culture.

Anyways, this is looking very good and hope you keep advancing this great idea. Good job.

posted 11-13-05 02:12 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
This reminds me more of RON than AGE of EMPIRES. It's not a bad thing, just an observation.
posted 11-13-05 06:10 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  

Quote:

No offense but how much research have you done, I have spotted loads of mistakes

Care to point them out?

posted 11-13-05 06:52 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
IMHO, the Norse need replaced, because they didn't develop as a cultural group until after the fall of the Roman Empire. They really have no bearing on what happened between the Greeks and Romans. Perhaps change them to the Celts.
posted 11-14-05 10:31 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
You should add the Mongols as part of the East civs. Although that might not work out becuase of their nomadic nature.

Cosmopolitan? Check.
posted 11-16-05 01:02 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
Can you post a time perio for each age first. The two problems ia you called the Aztecs (I think you are talking about them) Mexicans, and you gave the Lakota tribe a Prairie Rider which is really unrealist(sp?) as the native americans never had horse till the 16th century. Also I don't think the vikings should have 2 UUs when everyone else has 1 and also they didn't exsist till after the classical age.
posted 11-17-05 08:28 AM EDT (US)     13 / 21  

Quote:

Can you post a time perio for each age first.

To me, the ages represent technology levels, not a particular time period.

Quote:

The two problems ia you called the Aztecs (I think you are talking about them) Mexicans

"Mexicans" is a term I use to collectively refer to the various non-Mayan Mexican cultures, which include the Aztecs, Toltecs, etc.

Quote:

and you gave the Lakota tribe a Prairie Rider which is really unrealist(sp?) as the native americans never had horse till the 16th century.

Balance reasons.

Quote:

Also I don't think the vikings should have 2 UUs when everyone else has 1

My last edit corrected this.

Quote:

and also they didn't exsist till after the classical age.

There were people in the Norselands, so yes, there were Norse during the classical age, even if they weren't "Vikings" (though they may have had a similar culture).

Anyway, during my last edit, I divided the European culture into two cultures: Mediterranean (Greeks, Romans, and Phoenicians), and European (Norse, Celts, and Cro-Magnons).

[This message has been edited by Underpants Man (edited 11-17-2005 @ 08:31 AM).]

posted 11-19-05 05:33 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
Can you add a basic timeline then which the whole game is in. Anyway the Trireme was a greek war ship.
posted 11-19-05 09:41 PM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
Question: What time periods does this idea encompass?

I'm currentlt taking History 133 "The Ancient World and Europe", and I see a few problems with your civilizations. Many of them are too broad and lump together groups of people that really never shared a common level of interaction. Also, if you're dealing in the B.C. era, which I would assume, then a few of your civilizations are inaccurate. But, if you go into A.D., then yet again, a few of your civilizations are inaccurate. Isalm wasn't founded until 570, so your idea of an "Arab" civilization is right out. If you're really thinking about working on this I would recommend reading Greer and Lewis' "A Brief History of the Western World", Volume One/Edition Nine. This is a great textbook that would help you synthesize alot of your information about these civilization into coherent and plausible groups.

One last thing, I'm not trying to bash your work. It looks pretty good, and I think it would be simply stellar if you got the civilizations down a little bit more accurately. If you want to chat over AIM, or something, give me a message and I'd love to help.

posted 11-20-05 07:02 AM EDT (US)     16 / 21  

Quote:

Anyway the Trireme was a greek war ship.

Which was invented by the Phoenicians.

posted 11-20-05 12:05 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Are you sure about that?

Nazutul I don't know the right timeline but it begins B.C. and ends A.D.

posted 11-26-05 10:09 AM EDT (US)     18 / 21  

Quote:

What time periods does this idea encompass?

African Timeline: Prehistoric times to the Kingdom of Mali
Amerindian Timeline: Prehistoric to Aztec times
East Asian Timeline: Prehistoric to medieval times
Southwest Asian Timeline: Prehistoric to Islamic times
Mediterranean Timeline: Prehistoric to Roman times
European Timeline: Prehistoric to Viking times

BTW, I changed the Cambodian unique unit to the Siege Elephant, and I added a new civilization: the Mongols (think Genghis Khan and Atilla).

posted 11-26-05 10:32 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Wasn't Atilla a hun and not a Mongol? Just asking.

[This message has been edited by skystrider (edited 11-26-2005 @ 10:42 AM).]

posted 11-26-05 11:18 AM EDT (US)     20 / 21  

Quote:

Wasn't Atilla a hun and not a Mongol?

Oops (though the Huns did originate from Mongolia).

posted 11-26-05 11:26 AM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Um...none of those civilizations really take place in the same time periods at all...cro-magnon were supposed to be from like 12,000 years ago. And norse and aztec people are from like 1000 years ago...just wanted to point that out cuz it makes no sense...And since when is Cambodia a major civilization?

But if you're looking to make it like original aoe like with Rome, Phoenica(sp?), w/e why not add Judea and stuff like that...

[This message has been edited by Van_Halen (edited 11-26-2005 @ 11:27 AM).]

Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Future Robot, Bonfire, Windstorm, and NewToy Games Forum » I have an idea for an AoE I Remake
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames