Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Modding Council
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
posted 01-14-07 04:25 PM EDT (US)   

The Modding Council is the organ responsible for improving the quality of its member's mods and spreading our art. It's a democratic space for discussion between our members and anyone interested about our mods, always with the intention to improve them. Our objectives:

• Avoid similarities between mods.
  • Increase the quality of all mods by sharing ideas.
  • Plan new modding competitions.
  • Evolve Aoe3 modding.
  • Help other members to achieve their goals.

The Modding Council is not responsible for:

• Help newbies with their mods. "Help" thread should be posted at the forum, as always.
  • Any mod that doesn't belong to our members.

These are the people allowed to vote and discuss changes about our mods. Only skilled modders are allowed to join, but anyone can enter our discussions.

• Lord Tahattus
  • Imperiosus, a.k.a. Matthew
  • Captain_Soanso, a.k.a. ProvostGuard
  • Irish_legend8
  • Bobbbo ob, a.k.a. The Architect
  • Kastor

All already discussed themes get a special link here.

• Current nations being modded
  • Future of priests
  • Modding Competition Rules
  • Ykkrosh's Proto trick

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
    WOTTA WEBSITE!
    War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 01-24-2007 @ 09:46 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 01-15-07 03:43 PM EDT (US)     26 / 105  
    Okay, first of all, after every, conversion, you must take a rest of the same amount of time it would otherwise take the explorer to wait after uing a special ability, however long that is. You can convert 5 unit at a time, 10 with the explorer. The cost of converting a unit is variable. The food can be anywhere from 75 food to 300 and gold from 125 to 375. If you convert more units at one time, the cost increases based on a fixed base proce for that conversion. Priests can convert infantry, cavalry, and villgers. Explorers can convert infantry, cavalry, artillery, and mercenaries. Mercenries convert 50% faster than all other units. Artillery convert instantly. All other units take 30 seconds to convert.

How is it?

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
    |
    "I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
    "Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
    posted 01-15-07 04:23 PM EDT (US)     27 / 105  
    Do you remember that, to convert, you would need to click a priest, then select "conversation" (lol) and click on an unit? Now imagine 10 falconets firing, a lot of muskets being killed, how easy is to handle the slow monk to convert an unit, ability that would take at least 5 seconds? Don't look OP to me.

WOTTA WEBSITE!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 01-15-2007 @ 04:25 PM).]

posted 01-15-07 04:34 PM EDT (US)     28 / 105  
    OF course, you could convert from a large distance away from the unit with a priet. For the explorer, you woul need to be closer. A group of priests would convert faster. You would need to guard your priest, of course. But in the end, a conversion ability would be more useful if you send a small group to kill a few enemy ettler getting food or cutting forest. Or maybe a mall skirmih or if some enemy units come to you. There is no pint in taking 20 priets to the battlefield when you could have 20 soldiers.

But it's inevitable that they would die on the battlefield unless you make them invulnerable to attack when they're converting...

|
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
    posted 01-15-07 04:40 PM EDT (US)     29 / 105  
    Don't think too high (everyone); I believe that half of your ideas wouldn't work. 2 priests converting faster than 1, for example, or price of conversion rising.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 04:43 PM EDT (US)     30 / 105  
    Give us your ideas, we would all love to hear the great ideas of Lord Tahattus.

|
    posted 01-15-07 04:54 PM EDT (US)     31 / 105  
    Have you ever played RON? Spies have the "bribe" ability. Maybe it could be unlocked through a card.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 04:56 PM EDT (US)     32 / 105  
    No, I haven't played RoN, only AoK and AoE3. A card would be nice to unlock it. But after it's unlocked, how would it work?

|
    posted 01-15-07 05:01 PM EDT (US)     33 / 105  
    In Rise of Nations, spies are, in fact, spies. They're terrible at fighting, but can be really disgusting. Actually, Aoe3 spies were copied from RoN.

They were not only stealthy, but they could bribe (convert) units by using gold and could instantly kill enemy spies by throwing a dagger against them.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 05:04 PM EDT (US)     34 / 105  
    Are there spies in AoE3 or TWC?

Priests and Explorers then could bribe for a cost of gold.

|
    posted 01-15-07 05:08 PM EDT (US)     35 / 105  
    Sorry, I mean TWC spies.

Quote:

Priests...

No Wololo?

Quote:

...and Explorers then could bribe for a cost of gold.

Maybe it's a good idea for improving explorers, since they become a bit useless at endgame; But historically, would that be correct?

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 05:27 PM EDT (US)     36 / 105  
    Just Curious, what's wololo? I know it's a taunt but you all seem to refer to it as something ele.

And if you think of the Explorer as a governor in the lategame, then it would be historically accurate because all great leaders converted others to their cause and bribed mercenaries to gain soldiers.

|
    posted 01-15-07 05:47 PM EDT (US)     37 / 105  
    In the original AoE, priests went Wololo. It's pretty amusing nowadays.

As a quick note, what kind of animation would be used?

Also known as ProvostGuard

Please feed the animals. Click here! (the link is correct this time!)
    posted 01-15-07 05:49 PM EDT (US)     38 / 105  
    Here it is, a very cool explanation.

Wololos are a must, sorry to say, but priests without wololo just suck.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-15-07 06:07 PM EDT (US)     39 / 105  
    Well, I've never played the original so...

Anyway, you probably could insert the wololo. I'm not sure how but it probably is possible.

As for animation, probably the heal animation, as they would be 'healing' the units by showing them the correct way and removing all their faults .

But any suggestions on my original idea at the top of page two?

|
    posted 01-15-07 07:04 PM EDT (US)     40 / 105  
    We must have the Wololo, on whatever unit we do it.

And I still say that Bribing is the way to go, and having alot of priests and converting all of your enemies units would be bad, a build limit on whatever unit does the converting is a must, and must even then be very limited in its use, such as a recharge time that is 30 seconds or greater.

Quote:

Maybe it's a good idea for improving explorers, since they become a bit useless at endgame; But historically, would that be correct?

my point, there is only like one or two explorer in the game per player, he/she/whoever could be used to bribe a single unit or a group of units, and it wouldn't be annoying to the point where the opposing player would hang themselves out of frustration because you converted too many of their units.

Quote:

Anyway, you probably could insert the wololo. I'm not sure how but it probably is possible.

the wololo is an easy sound to add, and even eaiser to program it in.

posted 01-15-07 10:15 PM EDT (US)     41 / 105  
    I think that,if we whant to be historical,the priests shouldnt convert military units(I never read about priests converting men in the battle).I think that pheraps only spies and explorers(If we think in he as a general) should convert,and only mercenaries(Mercenaries werent much loyal),there must be a recharge for the ability(long time),it should cost some/many gold,but i think that an area efect would be good(Mercenaries where hired/bribed in bands).
    It would be more historical if the priest converted only cietizens and natives,I think
    And I think that make the natives could get a convert ability,pheraps by building traps or bringing their War Chiefs near a very damaged european
    posted 01-16-07 00:03 AM EDT (US)     42 / 105  
    well you guys go on ahead and keep arguing, I have no more comments to contribute. But in the meantime there is something else to discuss...

Age of Empires III Modding Competition

It is the start of the new year and the activity on the Forums has skyrocketed. This is a good time to get a modding competition going. Greater amounts of participation. The Rounds could be Bi-weekly, and there could be a prize for the first three place winners every week. Here is how I think it should go.

Rules (as I think they should be)

Council rules:::
    The bi-weekly theme will be thought up by one of the modding council, or a moderator if they want to.

Someone on the Council must have an example screen or unit available when the round is posted so the people entering the competition can have an idea of what to do.

Council members can enter if they wish, but their scores only count if they are not planning to be a Judge and they probably wont get any prizes either.

Judges are to be voted in by the Modding Council before any of the rounds start. Three or Four judges should be a good amount. Judges can resign when they want and must give their mantle to another member of the modding council.

everyone elses rules:::
    You may only enter one unit/screen per round.

You must turn in the screen on time. The round will not be extended because you didn't finish in time. You can either post it in the round's thread or e-mail it to a judge.

Your Score will be rated on a 1-5(or 1-10, doesn't really matter) scale by the Judges. No decimals unless the score is being averaged. Your Total score across all rounds will be shown at the top of the Page of each round thread along with an averaged score.

If you have a question, you can ask it in the Forums or in the Round's thread.

example of total scores:::

Bobbbo Ob
    Total Score: 85(across 20 rounds added and averaged by the judges..)
    Average Score per round: 4.25(total average)

example of score per round:::

Quoted from Lord Tahattus:

Lord Tahattus
    > Graphics: 3.5 of 4, the contrast between colors is too agressive.
    > Models: 1.5 of 2, The helmet you chose is not related at all to "ancient age".
    > Creativity: 2 of 4, All other contestants showed us a gladiator.
    Total: 7 of 10.

We all know that how suspicious units were judged at the last competition. My idea is to everything be well-explained. The unit will be jusged by itself, instead of being compared to the others:

It should not be done like this:::
    > Graphics: 2 of 4, Lord Tahattus's skin is much better than yours.

misc. rules
    I think that we should use Screenshots instead of the actual files. It would be much easier for people to enter in this way. The Screen must be a reasonable size and must show the unit clearly with no other units on the screen unless there is a reason. If the competition calls for a different graphic, such as a Portrait or icon or even flags then the graphic must be in the same size that it will show as ingame. Having a good graphics card will not get you any points, the creativity you show in creating your graphic/unit is what will get you points.

It should be possible for no one to win if no one can get a high enough score as determined by the Judges.

Prizes
    I think that the prizes should be as follows. We could do one of two things. We could give out prizes after a person obtains a high enough score from all of the rounds that this person has entered, or every round...

Prizes per score....

My last idea kind of sucked, anyone got ideas?

Prizes per round...

Not sure what these should be if this is what we do...

who I would like to see enter as a competitor:::

Freudy
    Ashwin13
    peugeot407
    Clyde5269
    and anyone else from here and anyone from the scenario design forums. I know you are out there!

People who wont recieve any prizes no matter how high their scores are (sorry but you are too good of modders...)
    pretty much anyone on the council.
    yeah, anyone on the council pretty much.

There is my idea for a modding competition pretty much. What does everyone else think???

[This message has been edited by bobbbo ob (edited 01-16-2007 @ 01:27 PM).]

posted 01-16-07 00:26 AM EDT (US)     43 / 105  
    Sorry to interrupt again, but bobbbo, take a .sm file (model file) from BFVietnam, convert it to a .3ds, and import it into AOE3, and you can see the little vertices that form little dots and they move around. In order to make it work, I'm going to have to connect the dots, but I'm a little stumped right now, but these vertices are showing up, so any of you are free to try it out.

Btw, sziggi and I did find a way to somewhat resize units, it's just really messy and it's for sure not surefire. :s Don't question my modding skills. I don't see anyone else making completely new objects, like fireworks and weather effects. ><

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
    Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
    Designer's Mod Co-Creator
    Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

posted 01-16-07 00:42 AM EDT (US)     44 / 105  
    I was just asking questions about your claims. They are a bit farfetched and crazy at times.

[This message has been edited by bobbbo ob (edited 01-16-2007 @ 00:42 AM).]

posted 01-16-07 00:57 AM EDT (US)     45 / 105  
    Hehe, no problem. Crazy and farfetched pretty well describes me.

Co-Leader and Founder of the Eye-Candy Guild
    Head of Research and Development for the AOE3 Editor
    Designer's Mod Co-Creator
    Official Story Writer of Wherever

Come join the Guild!

posted 01-16-07 04:35 AM EDT (US)     46 / 105  
    Talking about competitions, this is how I think judgement should be done:

• Lord Tahattus
    > Graphics: 3.5 of 4, the contrast between colors is too agressive.
    > Models: 1.5 of 2, The helmet you chose is not related at all to "ancient age".
    > Creativity: 2 of 4, All other contestants showed us a gladiator.

Total: 7 of 10.

We all know that how suspicious units were judged at the last competition. My idea is to everything be well-explained. The unit will be jusged by itself, instead of being compared to the others:

> Graphics: 2 of 4, Lord Tahattus's skin is much better than yours.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 01-16-2007 @ 04:39 AM).]

• posted 01-16-07 11:55 AM EDT (US)     47 / 105  
    @bobbbo ob: you often worry about the fact that there are persons who aren't typing your name correctly. so it would be better if you don't forget the E...

peugeot407

|> Robert Faber (aka peugeot407)
    |> Humble Creator of: Knights and Barbarians, Danish Civ Mod, Several Tutorials and the Tutorial Database
    |> November 2007 Modding Contest: 2nd place (me: 360 pts, Captain_Soanso: 365 pts!)
    |> January 2008 Modding Contest: first place!

When in doubt, flat out! (Colin McRae)
    posted 01-16-07 01:24 PM EDT (US)     48 / 105  

Quote:

this is the one thing I left out, and also one of the more important things.

@Peugeot : Your name is spelled correctly now, and now I also randomly feel the need to Mock you...

Bobbbo Ob

posted 01-16-07 01:45 PM EDT (US)     49 / 105  
    Well Peugeot was right since your name isn't written in capital letters, if you want your name to be written in capital letters go to "my account" and then change your name to Bobbbo Ob
    posted 01-16-07 02:18 PM EDT (US)     50 / 105  
    meh, its capital now. Bobbbo Ob

[This message has been edited by Bobbbo Ob (edited 01-16-2007 @ 02:22 PM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 5  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The Modding Council
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames