Modding Discussions
Moderated by Alexastor, MosheLevi, Mister SCP

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Modding Council
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
posted 01-14-07 04:25 PM EDT (US)   

The Modding Council is the organ responsible for improving the quality of its member's mods and spreading our art. It's a democratic space for discussion between our members and anyone interested about our mods, always with the intention to improve them. Our objectives:

• Avoid similarities between mods.
  • Increase the quality of all mods by sharing ideas.
  • Plan new modding competitions.
  • Evolve Aoe3 modding.
  • Help other members to achieve their goals.

The Modding Council is not responsible for:

• Help newbies with their mods. "Help" thread should be posted at the forum, as always.
  • Any mod that doesn't belong to our members.

These are the people allowed to vote and discuss changes about our mods. Only skilled modders are allowed to join, but anyone can enter our discussions.

• Lord Tahattus
  • Imperiosus, a.k.a. Matthew
  • Captain_Soanso, a.k.a. ProvostGuard
  • Irish_legend8
  • Bobbbo ob, a.k.a. The Architect
  • Kastor

All already discussed themes get a special link here.

• Current nations being modded
  • Future of priests
  • Modding Competition Rules
  • Ykkrosh's Proto trick

Lord Tahattus - Register yourselves at the WotTA forum!
    WOTTA WEBSITE!
    War of the Triple Alliance Beta!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!

[This message has been edited by Lord Tahattus (edited 01-24-2007 @ 09:46 PM).]

• Replies:
    posted 01-16-07 03:49 PM EDT (US)     51 / 105  
    id be happy to judge any competition because i dont have the time to enter
    how about a screenshot competion of a unit from a certain era
    posted 01-16-07 04:14 PM EDT (US)     52 / 105  
    I know this is a free space, but 4 posts talking about capital letters is just ridiculous.

Quote:

id be happy to judge any competition because i dont have the time to enter
    how about a screenshot competion of a unit from a certain era

About competitions, we should choose someone to take care of it. I'm busy, so i won't take that job.

WOTTA WEBSITE!
    Flags for new Civilizations, The Asian Dynasties, Knights and Barbarians and Napoleonic Era
    TWC Tutorials: Basics of Modding - The List of Modding No-nos - Adding a Nation - Music and Sounds - Initilization Failed

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-16-07 04:20 PM EDT (US)     53 / 105  
    posted 01-16-07 04:32 PM EDT (US)     54 / 105  
    I'd be happy to judge or "take care of it" as well...it's easier than actually participating...

ESO: Imperius
    -Graphic and Unit designer of Napoleonic Era
    -Creator of the Unit Upgrades Modpack
    -Winner of the AOE3 Heaven Modding Competition
    "Your units > ES's units" -- Cherub Walker
    Age of Empires: Napoleonic Era - "Be afraid, Ensemble Studios. Be very afraid..."
    posted 01-16-07 04:38 PM EDT (US)     55 / 105  
    posted 01-16-07 04:54 PM EDT (US)     56 / 105  
    Sorry for saying that, but Imperiosus with his gigantic ability at skinning, that can only be matched by two or three of us, is the person I would choose to nicely judge any future competition. But let's not take care of this right now. Let's the Council strenghen itself first.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-16-07 05:52 PM EDT (US)     57 / 105  
    we do also need only 'one' person to manage all of the competition threads and keep track of everything that goes on in these competitions, like who entered, broke the rules, and keep scores.

This person doesn't really need to be a judge either..

Quote:

yes it is want theme would be used do

Council members should take turns at picking the theme. Whoever goes first is the person that goes first.

posted 01-16-07 06:57 PM EDT (US)     58 / 105  
    The competition could help me get some work done for the mod...

Count me in!

"Arvy is randomly full of win." - Skarr
    |
    "I don't watch cartoons, those are for third class people." - Arvy
    "Yeah, children, those third class people." - Sails
    And because I bet Blatant he wouldn't be orange in two days and lost... HEIL BLATANT!
    posted 01-16-07 07:48 PM EDT (US)     59 / 105  

Quote:

The competition could help me get some work done for the mod...
    Count me in!

but...

Quote:

Let's the Council strenghen itself first.

before we start the first round. but that will likely start in the next few weeks anyways.

posted 01-17-07 09:52 AM EDT (US)     60 / 105  
    hmm.. weekly competions sounds fun

"And that my liege, is how we know that the earth is banana-shaped"
    posted 01-17-07 10:12 AM EDT (US)     61 / 105  
    With the previous contest some guys already complained that one week was too little for a unit. Imagine how much people you'll get to participate if it's done weekly. There are way too little people around for that to make it work.

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    || In honor of FlipBizcut
    || Mod: The Age of Crusades
    posted 01-17-07 10:23 AM EDT (US)     62 / 105  
    Nobody has creativity to organize a new competition every single week. Maybe, in the future, we could organize a competition every 2 weeks. Prizes? A golden star for the winner :P

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-17-07 05:27 PM EDT (US)     63 / 105  
    I have the outline set up for competitions to be every two weeks. No one at Heavengames has the resources or time to do it every week.
    posted 01-17-07 06:27 PM EDT (US)     64 / 105  
    It's best that the competitions last at least two weeks, and more would be a lot better. I, for example, have the opportunity to work only once every two weeks (explains my sluggish process, huh?). The timeframe could incorporate many more things for us too see too.

Also known as ProvostGuard

Please feed the animals. Click here! (the link is correct this time!)
    posted 01-18-07 12:27 PM EDT (US)     65 / 105  
    hay id really like to see these competitions and work and while im replying has anyone anything that ye modders find annoying or would like to make something easier when putting mods together
    posted 01-18-07 12:35 PM EDT (US)     66 / 105  
    I'd like to see a program that doesn't just display the whole proto code of a unit, but rather shows the same tag of all the units that have it. So I can compare, for example, costs much easier. At the moment I have to browse through all the unnecessary code to compare them, although with this, the code would shrink roughly 50 times or so and I'd have all the units listed with the cost tag after one another so it'd look like this:
    Unit A
    Cost
    Unit B
    Cost
    Unit C
    Cost

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H
    posted 01-18-07 03:46 PM EDT (US)     67 / 105  

Quote:

I'd like to see a program that doesn't just display the whole proto code of a unit, but rather shows the same tag of all the units that have it.

You don't need a program just to do that. Try creating a .html file with
    <script>
    var processor = new XSLTProcessor();
    var xsl = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);
    var xml = document.implementation.createDocument("", "", null);
    xsl.addEventListener("load", function () { xml.load("proto.xml") }, false);
    xml.addEventListener("load", function () {
    processor.importStylesheet(xsl);
    var doc = processor.transformToDocument(xml);
    document.documentElement.appendChild(doc.documentElement);
    }, false);
    xsl.load("test.xsl");
    </script>

and a test.xsl file with

<xsl:stylesheet version="1.0" xmlns:xsl="http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform">
    <xsl:template match="/">
    <html>
    <body>
    <table border="1">
    <tr>
    <th>id</th>
    <th>name</th>
    <th>cost</th>
    </tr>
    <xsl:for-each select="Proto/Unit">
    <xsl:if test="Cost">
    <tr>
    <td><xsl:value-of select="@id"/></td>
    <td><xsl:value-of select="@name"/></td>
    <td>
    <xsl:for-each select="Cost">
    <xsl:value-of select="@resourcetype"/>: <xsl:value-of select="."/><br/>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </td>
    </tr>
    </xsl:if>
    </xsl:for-each>
    </table>
    </body>
    </html>
    </xsl:template>
    </xsl:stylesheet>

and then put proto.xml in the same directory and open the .html file in something like Firefox. That gives a table like

id name cost
    85 RiverFlow Wood: 100.0000
    86 RiverEdgeFlow Wood: 100.0000
    135 PropGrassFire Wood: 100.0000
    162 StartledBirds Wood: 100.0000

which sounds like what you wanted.

(Edit: the preview ate my <script> and <html> and <body>; the post ate my tabs. Should be alright now.)

[This message has been edited by Ykkrosh (edited 01-18-2007 @ 03:49 PM).]

posted 01-18-07 04:27 PM EDT (US)     68 / 105  
    Ykkrosh, excellent post, please put it in golden colors, so we can link it at "important links" :P

Not needed though... it's just to keep the thread nice!

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-18-07 05:41 PM EDT (US)     69 / 105  
    I'm not editing that post again - there's at least two bugs with this forum software that break that particular post and require manual fixing every time I change it, and I'm far too lazy

(Incidentally, that code seems to randomly not work some of the time in Opera, and I'm not sure why. In some cases it may be easier to skip the .html file and modify a copy of proto.xml so it starts with

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="test.xsl"?>
    <Proto version ='9'>

and then open the .xml file directly.)
    posted 01-18-07 05:48 PM EDT (US)     70 / 105  
    Okay, it's already in "important links"...

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-19-07 00:53 AM EDT (US)     71 / 105  

Quote:

(Incidentally, that code seems to randomly not work some of the time in Opera, and I'm not sure why. In some cases it may be easier to skip the .html file and modify a copy of proto.xml so it starts with

I was going to suggest that. A while back I wrote an online proto/techtree/someotheraomXMLfiles editor. You would create new units or edit old ones then save it. When all your changes were made, you could download the entire new proto file already modified to your needs. This worked online with teamwork in mind, so everyone would do their edits and people could download the new XML file builds whenever they wanted. This also modified the techtrees and other files accordingly.

I had a working version and all that was missing was a login/register/project management code to go on top of it. I then lost the code from reformats and etc. I wish I still had time to remake something like that.

posted 01-19-07 08:17 AM EDT (US)     72 / 105  
    Thanks for the code, Ykkrosh. The problem is though, it does work with the original proto but not with my modified one, any idea why that could happen? It does show 'id name cost', but nothing more. Could it be caused because I went from ID 625 to 800 and on? Also tried the xml-stylesheet type="text/xml" href="test.xsl", but that gave the same result.
    EDIT: Nevermind I worked it out, it was because of the capital letters, which my modified version didn't use.

@Elpea: The project you were working on sounds really awesome! You might want to consider to start it with it again.

|| argalius.elpea.net
    || Cherub at AoE3H

[This message has been edited by Argalius (edited 01-19-2007 @ 08:22 AM).]

posted 01-21-07 08:10 AM EDT (US)     73 / 105  
    what do ye think of a modders council chat room for anyone online to chat and organize things
    posted 01-22-07 03:39 PM EDT (US)     74 / 105  
    Priest: I simply can't make the priest convert an unit. Although I can mod the "convert guardian" ability, I cannot create a completely new one. Aoe3 does not allow me to create a new "ConvertGuardian" ability to use as base for "Conversion"; If I create it, both abilities stop working. Strange, since you can find two "CrackshotAttack" abilities that don't conflict.

WOTTA WEBSITE!

WotTA back to active!
    posted 01-23-07 09:28 PM EDT (US)     75 / 105  
    But Lord Tahattus,isnt it possible to,if you cancel the original convert guardian(get rid of the WC),the modded convert guardian ability wouldnt work?
    « Previous Page  1 2 3 4 5  Next Page »
    Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Modding Discussions » The Modding Council
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames