Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Portuguese Strategy: The Royal Expedition
posted 08-24-07 01:08 AM EDT (US)   
Greetings!

I have been playing The Portuguese lately, in practically every game, and I've developed a new strategy(not sure if it's uncovered and being used by people yet, but I'm just going to let the community know anyways). The strategy is best used in Team games, it's a 5-Hussar Fast Fortress which gives you 70-90 population, a decent age time(7:30-8:00 depending on the resources around you, livestock(sheep), etc).
Otherwise for 1vs1 games, I suggest a 10 Musketeer Fast Fortress instead, to defend against a Colonial Assault(rush).

First off, let me explain the cards you'll need:

-700 Food
-700 Wood
-700 Coin
-8 Cassadore(Fortress Age)
-5 Dragoons(Fortress Age)
-2 Organ Guns(Fortress Age)
-1000 Food (Fortress Age)

Now, for the cards that are recommended:

-Economic Theory
-Land Grab
-Fencing School
-Riding School
-Engineering School(Optional Really)
-Advanced Arsenal
-Advanced Church
-Dragoon Combat
-Refrigeration
-Royal Mint
-Factory Cards(Both)
-Gunpowder Infantry Attack/HP/Combat(All three if possible)
-Genitours (To lame 20 Range Dragoons later on)
-Rangefinding (50 Range Mortars- self explanatory)

Now you know the cards you'll need, here is the Build Order

-3 Settlers on Crates, 4 Settlers on hunts

-Shift 2 Settlers off the Crates and put them on to Hunts after you've collect the Food Crates, leave 1 Settler to collect a Wood crate, build a House, and task him to hunt(Leave any Wood/Gold crates left, Collect them later to preserve Villager Seconds)

-Age at around 13-14 Settlers, depending on how fast you gather 800 food, Save your first shipment, Age with the 400 Wood Politician.

-Whilst Aging, Put 3 Settlers on Coin, find a Good placement for your 2nd Town Center (A place that allows you to control as much resources possible while not being in somewhere dangerous which it could get killed).

-After you've aged, Get 2 Food Settlers to collect the Wood, Use 2 Coin Settlers to build a Stable. After the Food Settlers are done collecting, task 1 back to food, and 1 to make 2 Houses, put him on food after he's done. Your First shipment should be 700 Coin, you should have 2 Shipments around now, so send 700 Wood after 700 Coin.

-Make 5 Hussars out of your Stable, Your Settler Ratio should be like this (10-12 on Food, 5+ on Coin, 2 Collecting the Massive income of Crates). Now, with the 700 Wood, Build
3 Houses and 2 Barracks(find a good spot for them). Use the Hussars to raid, shortly you'll receive another shipment, send 700 Food.

-Use any Livestock you can, also it's fine to not keep a full Double Town Center production, since you need Food to Age. After collecting 700 Food, You should have enough to Age shortly, Do age with the Town Center that will likely not get attack(in case you get attacked). Age with the 6 Cassadore politician, now Shift some Coin Settlers on Food, to have around 15-20, and shift 3 Settlers on Wood from your Coin Settler pool(you should have at least kept a 1 Town Center Settler Production), and you should have about 5~ on Coin, or more.

-After aging, Immediately make 10 Cassadores out of your 2 Barracks, Place your Third Town Center at a Strategic Position, You should have a shipment by now, so send 8 Cassadores if you want to enlarge your Cassadore force, 5 Dragoons if you suspect Cavalry or 2 Organ Guns if the enemy was massing infantry. Now when the 10 Cassadores are done training, you should have 16 Cassadores, queue as much as you can again, and after they come out, you should have around 23~(that's without the 8 Cassadore card, otherwise you'd have well over 30). Decide when you should attack, be sure to shift more Settlers on Food, and keep up Triple Town Center Settler production, never stop Booming until you hit Max Settler population.

-The rest is up to you, as I said, I use this practically all the time in Team Games, and it has guaranteed at least 70% chance win, depending on the skill of your allies.
Also Manage your Settlers as you see fit, it all comes down to skill now. Note that even if your initial push fails it's not over, you have an unstoppable Economy, and you can also go Industrial to lame those 20 Ranged Jinetes.

Recorded Games
http://aoe3.heavengames.com/downloads/showfile.php?fileid=1494
This game shows an alternate version of The Portuguese Royal Expedition, using 10 Musketeers instead of 10 Hussars, the point of this Game is to show what you do after you get to Fortress!

Good luck, and I hope you have great success with this strategy, remember this Strategy is best used for Team Games.

Kind Regards,
Watson

The Teutonic Fast Fortress: A German Anti-Rush Fast Fortress Strategy
The Portuguese Royal Expedition Strategy: A Portuguese 5-Hussar Semi Fast Fortress Strategy

[This message has been edited by Watson Day (edited 08-24-2007 @ 12:18 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-24-07 10:02 AM EDT (US)     1 / 21  
OMG WATSON OP <3

I always did want to know how you pulled off that queer OP economy in all of those countless green valleys.

Looks good imo, i've been thinking bout playing ports again, but i still know deep down that ports have nothing to stop aztecs :S

Get your hands on a hot pan, a minute can seem like an hour. Get your hands on a hot woman, an hour can seem like a minute.
(\__/) This is bunny.
(O.o ) Copy him in your signature to
(> < ) help him conquer the world!
posted 08-24-07 10:22 AM EDT (US)     2 / 21  
Yes, looks simple yet effective. Some recs would be very helpful.

Congratulations Serge - Winner of the FFA Spring Series 2008
posted 08-24-07 10:45 AM EDT (US)     3 / 21  
I haven't played Ports in a while so I can't really give comment on the strat, but you really shouldn't make your entire post in boldface. It's a bit of an overkill.
posted 08-24-07 11:07 AM EDT (US)     4 / 21  
Very nice, just a few comments.

The shipping of 700 wood isn't really needed, you can save that shipment for a military shipment in age3. Two barracks which will grant 2 cass right upon reaching age3, and then be useless very soon after, is a waste of 200 wood.

You may be better off aging up with 400 wood for stable + 2 houses, shipping 700 gold first, pumping out 5 hussars, and then shipping 600 gold or 700 food to help you reach age3.

Also, you must be using EP if you reach fortress by that time while hesitating in age2 with the hussars/muskets and all. In all honesty, go for a non-EP age up (unless against a rusher), and use your MM as your defense until you reach age3.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 08-24-07 11:33 AM EDT (US)     5 / 21  
I like the idea of hussars, I personally hardly use hussars as ports but I think it could be quite useful.

And I have to disagree with boarder, I think the 700 wood is very useful as it provides you with the housing you will need to sustain your age III shipments and your tcs spawning vills (think of playing ports spain style). Not to mention you can use the wood for a market and foundry for petards if need be and enables you to focus your economy on food and gold, food for your vills and gold for the eventual mamelukes that Im sure you will think of using

[This message has been edited by Gomezd (edited 08-24-2007 @ 11:34 AM).]

posted 08-24-07 12:24 PM EDT (US)     6 / 21  
The hussar element of this strat is certainly intresting. most Port players dont use them much, but i find Using hussars is often a very good idea, both because its Unexpected from a port player, + because the enemy often goes a bit skirm and cannon heavy against Ports in general.
posted 08-24-07 12:30 PM EDT (US)     7 / 21  
And in 1.04 Hussars will be boosted, so this strat will be even more effective.

Just call me Robert.
My Massgate
posted 08-24-07 12:51 PM EDT (US)     8 / 21  
The only flaw that I see is that your buddy is pretty vulnerable. You don't have a real army out until 9 minutes or so. Most rushes start attacking around 6.

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

posted 08-24-07 04:06 PM EDT (US)     9 / 21  
Wow. It looks very nice. But, im assuming this is to be used against a FF'er or a boomer, because, you leave yourself without even CM to defend yourself. I like the 5 hussar raid. Recs would be nice.

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. -George Patton

Bill Gates' empire's downfall shall be caused by a fruit!

If you are a Christian and not ashamed of it, copy this into your sig.
posted 08-24-07 05:09 PM EDT (US)     10 / 21  
I dont see how this differs at all from the standard Semi-FF people just come up with organically.

Also in team its a bad strat because the following Civ combos will eat you alive:

Otto/Sioux
Otto/Aztec
Sioux/Aztec
Aztec/Iro
Iro/Sioux
Sioux/Dutch
Dutch/France
France/Aztec
France/Sioux
France/Dutch
Ottoman/Russia
Russia/Iro
posted 08-24-07 06:27 PM EDT (US)     11 / 21  
i have one thing question really.. why are the brits not mentioned in the bad civ combo. just wondering......
posted 08-24-07 07:10 PM EDT (US)     12 / 21  
rofl the [...] includes any various other Op combos I missed with Brit, Sioux, Aztec, Dutch, Ottoman, French...
posted 08-24-07 10:12 PM EDT (US)     13 / 21  
Wow AoTH, you forgot the OP otto/spain and french/russia.

Those 2 are my favorites.

Btw, im pretty sure watson was wanting this to be more of a 1v1 type build, not as much in team, but it works. Any of you guys ever hear of Green Valley? It's a lot of fun and this is most likely where watson came up with this strat^_^

Get your hands on a hot pan, a minute can seem like an hour. Get your hands on a hot woman, an hour can seem like a minute.
(\__/) This is bunny.
posted 08-25-07 00:09 AM EDT (US)     14 / 21  
I think there are 66 different civ combinations at the moment, so even if ten of them "own" this strategy, then that's still pretty strong.

Let's also not forget no strategy is flawless and works in every situation.

Gameranger: _NiGhThAwK_
posted 08-25-07 11:12 AM EDT (US)     15 / 21  
I think there are 66 different civ combinations at the moment, so even if ten of them "own" this strategy, then that's still pretty strong.

Let's also not forget no strategy is flawless and works in every situation.
The ones I listed are about the only teams played. Yeah I am sure it stands a good shot v. German/German or Russia/Russia, but you will never face a team like this in any serious rated game. But any combo with a "fast" civ will own it.
posted 08-25-07 05:48 PM EDT (US)     16 / 21  
I'm telling ya man, abus rush and pike rush with spain because they send 7 rods and 5 pike while otto brings 5 abus and 5 jans around 5 minutes. It's the fastest strategy that i've seen in awhile, counters everything, and the pike rush can be changed to xbow easily.

Would probably beat any other strategy you've listed tbh.

A 27 captain around 1800 team elo and a 24 1st lt with 1780 team elo beat myself and my buddy poyao, we were russian/french for hussar/strel. I only had 5 sacks and 10 strel by the time our fb was down, poy had only gotten 10 cav i believe, if that.

(\__/) This is bunny.
posted 08-25-07 06:24 PM EDT (US)     17 / 21  
Stands no chance v. Aztec/Sioux

HK and Cheapapapa did Aztec/Sioux to me in RTSL.

Aztec/Sioux is the fastest, and most flexible combination. The number of different initial spams they can put up are very hard to guess and counter. Their innate speed and ability to dump shipments at the Forward base is also very hard to beat. Also you can easily do the pet spam.

I can beat 2.1K+ players in team with this combo.

[This message has been edited by AoTH_Defiance (edited 08-25-2007 @ 06:25 PM).]

posted 08-25-07 07:03 PM EDT (US)     18 / 21  
Guess i see your point, aztec/sioux is starting to look really appealing to me.

(\__/) This is bunny.
posted 08-26-07 01:16 AM EDT (US)     19 / 21  
Aztec/Sioux is very good, but I prefer Russian/Sioux. I'm surprised that isn't listed. Try that abus/pike rush against that...lol.

ESO: JarlNick

Want to talk OP? AOE3 Abus Guns at release were nightmares. But I knew how to take care of them! Beware my Culverins you artillery bastards! Oh wait...- MNBob

posted 08-26-07 12:55 PM EDT (US)     20 / 21  
I'm telling ya man, abus rush and pike rush with spain because they send 7 rods and 5 pike while otto brings 5 abus and 5 jans around 5 minutes. It's the fastest strategy that i've seen in awhile, counters everything, and the pike rush can be changed to xbow easily.
Abus/Pike has always been the dominant 2v2 strategy in the game. Hands down. No other comments.

This died, ofcourse when they lost their RR, so LI could kill them. I wouldnt recommend it any more.

Who cares if you lose your fb lol ... if you resign when your fb goes down, you dont deserve to win. If they got your fb down fast, it means they killed their eco in the process. And if you let it go down, it meand you didnt. You should have easily won the game with a mass of strelets, and hussars to make him go jan wouldve won easily considering they suicided their eco to (have no clue why) go fast.

ESO= AceOfKings
Current: AOE3 TAD
posted 08-26-07 05:58 PM EDT (US)     21 / 21  
Steve, it was like rolling thunder, lol. They got my first 3 fbs under 8 mins, i had probably made around 50 strel at that point, i coulnd't do much to stop it after the 1st one went down, my buddy probably made a total of 25-30 hussars too, just they were everwhere, or at least it seemed like they were everywhere.....

(\__/) This is bunny.
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » Portuguese Strategy: The Royal Expedition
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to: