Please login or register

Strategy Central

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New German Strategy: The Teutonic Fast Fortress
posted 07-04-07 05:38 PM EDT (US)   
Greetings!

The German Colonial is nothing special, Crossbowman are average, Uhlans just die to quickly, Dopplesoldners are too slow and expensive and Pikeman are only good when there's cavalry around, which in most cases during 1vs1, is Ranged Light Infantry Wars.

So in what age does the true power of Germans start to arise? In The Fortress Age. Why? Because of Good Mercenary Cards, Cannons, Skirmishers, and more. Though, reaching Fortress is another story, usually when the enemy has scouted a Fast Fortress (You'd want them to know you'll be going FF, you'll know why later), they will attempt to take your Town Center down before you reach your intended goal.

So, How do you reach fortress, without getting slaughtered by a good colonial assault and not having to train any military units at all?

Here, I bring you The Teutonic Fast Fortress:

Important Cards:
-700 Gold
-Teutonic Town Center
-Colonial Militia
-Hire Black Riders
-Hire Hessian Jaegars
-Hire Finnish Hackapells
-1000 Wood/Gold

The Rest are your preference, you could add Hire Landschnect(Spelling is probably incorrect), or Dance Hall and Improved Mercenaries, etc. Due to the fact that Mercenaries are part of Germany's bonus, and you should use your civilization's bonus to the best of its potential.

Now for a brief summary, this strategy focuses on getting a "German Version of The Iroquois Great House" and being able to summon Colonial Militia if the situation gets too rough, while sacrificing your economy. Thus, you should only use this if you know they are 100% going to rush you, you should provoke them into rushing you by starting to mine coin when they try to scout you. When they do attack you, their army is most likely going to die, due to your Town Center 1-shotting every unit they have(Except Janissaries, which take 2 shots).

You could also make a small box around your Town Center for added Survival Rate if they are going Grenadier Rushing/Pike/Puma Rush, though of the situation looks bad, you could call Colonial Militia to relieve the stress, though I suggest summoning them if your Town Center drops below 3,000 HP. When you have successfully defeated their attack(which you probably will, because I've beaten a Sioux Club Rush and a Aztec Puma/Janey Pet Rush by just relying on the Town Center and Colonial Militia), now for the Build Order.

Build Order:
-1 Settler Wagon Collect Crates, 2 go to Hunts
-Build a House, or Build 2 if you started with 200 wood
-All on hunts until you have 800 food and roughly 14 population worth of Settlers/Settler Wagons
-Age with the 500 Food Politician
-Your First Shipment is Colonial Militia
-Put 3 Settler Wagons on Mines, Settlers still on Hunts
-Collect the Food crates once it's here, with about 2 Settlers
-Your Second Card is Teutonic Town Center
-The Enemy should have scouted your FF and is preparing/initiating an attack.
-Your Third shipment is 700 Coin, or if you had already gathered enough coin, then save the shipment
-Age with the 3 Dopplesoldner Politician
-Put All your Settler/Settler Wagons on coin,except for 3 Settlers on Wood and 2 Settlers on Food
-Build a Market, and Trade Gold for Wood if you need, for an Artillery Foundry and quick Housing
-After you have completed aging, Send whatever Mercenaries Best Counters their Army(You should scout with your explorer before sending)
-Build an Artillery Foundry(usually from traded wood from the market)
-Train as many Falconets as possible, even if it means trading Food for Coin
-You should have your army of Mercenaries and Cannons, Proceed to attack
-Adapt if you must, from then on, do whatever suits the situation, such as sending a Fort for map control, Sending more Mercenaries, or the 9 Uhlan card to Raid/ Extra compliment to your military
-Most of all, Good luck and Have Fun

Now, this strategy might not fully meet minimum level of satisfaction, thus I would like to ask the community to give feedback, constructive criticism and best of all, suggestions on where to improve this, because I Know this strategy has many flaws, though I will not say the, because that would ruin the mood.

In Conclusion, I hope you have enjoyed reading this, I have grasped the concept of another Overpowered Civilization, and
possibly copying their Overpowered aspects, but in a lesser form (The German "Great House", Sacrificing a good economy for a tough defense). I would like to thank Mediolanus(Sjonnie) for working hard on saving Germany for Certain Declination, Ender_Ward, for possibly making an extraordinary post(no surprise usually), and I would like to thank you, the reader, for reading this.

*I also would like to apologize if you, the valued reader, didn't expect a fancy post with pictures, advanced BB codes, Perfect Spelling, etc. Due to having limited time, Though I am doing my best to make my posts legible and possibly appealing

Best Regards,
Watson

The Teutonic Fast Fortress: A German Anti-Rush Fast Fortress Strategy
The Portuguese Royal Expedition Strategy: A Portuguese 5-Hussar Semi Fast Fortress Strategy

[This message has been edited by Watson Day (edited 07-04-2007 @ 05:44 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-04-07 07:37 PM EDT (US)     1 / 19  
It soundss good but with Germans slow xp rate sending Cm, Teutonic TC and 700 gold will be tough if you want a competitive fortress time. Also you won't be able to ship mercs immediately after reaching fortress. I would recomend the card order go CM, 700 gold and send TTC while aging so that way you cav have a competitive fortress time combined with good anti-rush. But hey, I have no experience with Germany so don't quote me on any of this.
posted 07-04-07 08:35 PM EDT (US)     2 / 19  
might be good against a rush...but id prefer to use the sw shipments and 9xbow+2uhlan in case of a rush
posted 07-05-07 05:59 AM EDT (US)     3 / 19  
Your eco will not be good either because you are missing out on the 2 settler wagons early in the game. (4 settlers)

But you are right german colonial warfare sucks.

[This message has been edited by Manno (edited 07-05-2007 @ 06:00 AM).]

posted 07-05-07 07:18 AM EDT (US)     4 / 19  
What the hell, Watson, rofl, its not good. xD Why must you insist on this ?
posted 07-05-07 10:18 AM EDT (US)     5 / 19  
says Soati lol xD

Nah, well written up, but the best way of stopping missing out on the 2 SW is to not play Germany. Easy as that.

armyballer - Another 3v3, this time my team is winning, (about an hour into it). One of the other team players admits defeat and resigns, then out of no where I get OOS message. I'm pissed, I again log onto agecommunity and see I have been given a LOSE. How did this happen?

AceOfKings - ender_ward hacked into your game and made it go OOS

Unban JamesLock
posted 07-05-07 10:36 AM EDT (US)     6 / 19  
This topic is about PLAYING germany.

[This message has been edited by Manno (edited 07-05-2007 @ 10:37 AM).]

posted 07-05-07 11:20 AM EDT (US)     7 / 19  
Not Shipping 2+3 SW is a bad, bad idea. It is your number one advantage early game. If you don't get rushed, you should obviously send them. If you do get rushed, it is better to age up with quartermasters and spam xbows, or go Outlaw. Otherwise, your eco will be too weak to support a good FF.
posted 07-05-07 11:22 AM EDT (US)     8 / 19  
First of all; very well written strategy, I'm glad that somebody is taking effort to save Germany!

I think it's important to send the 2 Settlerwagon card first though, due to the simple fact that your economy will be too sucky too produce anything but your shipped mercenaries and cannons. What happens if you lose your first army?

You won’t have economy enough to rebuild quickly enough to save your town from your opponent.

Agecomm quote of the week: "woooooh my thread got stickied thats a dream come true."

ESO: hazardousPickle
posted 07-05-07 11:35 AM EDT (US)     9 / 19  
Greetings

Yes, I am well aware that after you pull out this strategy, your economy will indeed Suck, though the community and myself, are trying to think of better alternatives, like 2 Settler Wagons as first card, second as Colonial Militia and Third as Teutonic Town Center, and gathering the coin manually, because you would be aging with 500 food, which allows you to focus on coin a bit more.(Or perhaps my Home City is too low, it's possible to change it into something better)Also, perhaps sending Colonial Militia, Teutonic Town Center and lastly 3 Settler Wagons, and attempt to age while attempting to raid(I know, Uhlans are horrid at Raiding, doing only 25.4 damage each hit on a Settler, accounting the Settler Penalty and their 20% hand resistance, though you can annoy them or force them to garrison, although try not meeting large groups of Coureur des Bois, because market upgraded, they can actually kill Uhlans fairly easily).

Lastly, The best alternative for your economy, is sending 2 Settler Wagons, Colonial Militia, then either Teutonic Town Center if they are doing a High Siege Rush(Puma Rush, Pike Rush, Club Rush, Grenadier Rush, Aztec Big Button Rush, Ottoman Janissary Rush, Aztec ZAP Rush, any type of colonial assault that involves strictly taking down your Town Center as soon as possible), or you can send 3 Settler Wagon + 2 Uhlan if they are doing a "Fake Rush", or simply trying to harass you and keep you off hunts, etc(you could try walling a bit perhaps).

I am still aware that there are much more flaws in this strategy, but I will still greatly appreciate some suggestions, feedback and constructive criticism(though please don't say anything like "You Suck", even though it's true I'm low ranked, I'm trying my best to give Germany a chance to be playable, which is why I let the community know this strategy as soon as possible, without adjusting or tweaking it too much, and for the fact that instead of just me getting credit writing this, the community deserves credit in helping and developing this strategy as well. So please, I'm searching for replies that involves this post, anything else, just Whisper to me in game(My ESO is WatsonDay).

I have seen a few great replies, and I very much appreciate the contribution <Salutes>, keep up the good work, and perhaps after awhile, this strategy could become viable, and Germany could become decent(Though the Patch would help, putting the EXP rate to -0.8% or -0.10%, and removing the Uhlan Settler Penalty, so that Uhlans don't raid like Kanya Horseman that dies faster.

Best Regards,
Watson

The Teutonic Fast Fortress: A German Anti-Rush Fast Fortress Strategy
The Portuguese Royal Expedition Strategy: A Portuguese 5-Hussar Semi Fast Fortress Strategy
posted 07-05-07 12:08 PM EDT (US)     10 / 19  
I think I have thought of a better way to do this. Correct if I'm wrong because I haven't tried this out yet.

-Send 2 SW, and age with 500 food politician.
-As soon as you have gathered 800 food move all settlers to gold
-When you reach age 2 collect 500 food from crates and send CM
-Age up to fortress when you have gathered 1000 coin.
-If your being rushed send Teutonic TC, if not save the shipment for fortress

I think this will work but the only problem is you won't have wood for housing or a barracks but I'm sure theres a way around that.
posted 10-20-07 06:24 PM EDT (US)     11 / 19  
My usual strat goes like this: (for vanilla)

1. Send 2 SW as first card and age with 400 wood politician and about 15-17 villies. Possibly send colonial militia if I feel a rush coming on.

2. Send 3 SW as next shipment. Next shipment is either 700 food to age up, or Palatine settlements; depending on the strength of your opponent's rush. (if you are rushed) Before shipment, build a rax and 5 x-bows. Train some pikes and mix them with your villies to discourage raiding. Use your Uhlans to raid and scout.

3. Age up at approximately 8:00-10:00. Use either fast politician or 7 skirms. If playing spanish or french, send 4 Dopps. Build military as desired. By this time, raiding has become obsolete, so bring your Uhlans back. I usually send Lands or Jaegers as next shipment. It depends on the situation.

4. If you want to FI, put in 1000 gold. Use this and your SW to age up ASAP. Send 1000 gold politician. SEnd factories as your next shipments.

Everything else is optional. Mercenaries included, as you don't want to use units you're not familiar with. I like Jaegers because they have awesome range and attack for LI. Lands are domolition machines and can beat almost every other unit cost-effectively. (4 can take down 2 falconets!)
posted 10-20-07 07:19 PM EDT (US)     12 / 19  
I found that germans don`t suck in colonial.Dopples may not be a plus But IMO german rushes are on par with any other rush.
posted 10-20-07 08:00 PM EDT (US)     13 / 19  
TTC is pretty useless these days, because if you have resorted to use TC for defence, as german you are pretty much lost already.
posted 10-21-07 06:10 AM EDT (US)     14 / 19  
those of you that think germany sucks in colonial should take a look here:

Link

I expected jaegers and all that crap, but instead got a pistolero/navajo rush!

Edit: Fixed Link

[This message has been edited by somme (edited 10-21-2007 @ 06:57 AM).]

posted 10-21-07 06:58 AM EDT (US)     15 / 19  
That game simply shows a player with almost 200 more ELO than you catching you out with an unexpected strategy and in on way shows that Germany is strong in colonial.

ESO : Pcfreak8
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is." -Jan L. A. van de Snepscheu
A pessimist is usually right and never disappointed.
Any history buff knows that nothing stops a cannon like a good uppercut. - BeatnikJoe
posted 10-21-07 08:43 AM EDT (US)     16 / 19  
yes.it is but from what i could tell the german did not defend raids to well.
posted 10-22-07 02:19 PM EDT (US)     17 / 19  
I ususally send in 2 SW's for age 1, 3 SW's in age 2 and then 9xbows if I'm being rushed, or 2 SW's then I age. I go to age 2 with the 500 food guy for villies. Ig to age 3 with the 3 dopps. While aging I build a forward oupost and as soon as I age I build an artillery foundry. I then build 5 petards at my foundry. I then send 13 Jaegers or 10 Lanshnekt and have them arrive at my oupost. Then I march on my enemy. I send in the mercs first to kill/distract their army and my 5 petards blow up their TC. If they kill one petard then the TC will only have 100 HP left so my mercs will finish it off.

Edit: Watson you don't always need to post in bold.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor

[This message has been edited by Catabre (edited 10-22-2007 @ 02:20 PM).]

posted 10-22-07 04:12 PM EDT (US)     18 / 19  
I ussally do whatever seems best depending on map and enemy civ.
posted 10-24-07 01:55 PM EDT (US)     19 / 19  
I fnd my strat works best all the time! / No-one expects it at all which is great and I play at the Seargent level.

"Apparently, arguing for the right to do something no-one wants to do is the lifeblood of HG." - TaylorFlame

"Whatever happened, BFME2H did it better. No Exceptions." - EnemyofJupitor
Age of Empires III Heaven » Forums » Strategy Central » New German Strategy: The Teutonic Fast Fortress
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Empires III Heaven | HeavenGames