Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: The Lost Thread: Great Mysteries
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 45  Next Page »
posted 02-04-04 10:34 AM CT (US)   
Rules:…
1..No Creation vs. Evolution debates. You may use things from either side to prove your point, but don’t fall back into that old pile of vomit. This thread has been a broken record for quite some time now, so let’s get onto something else.
2. Stay on topic. Going off topic is what kept this to CvE for so long. You may suggest what to talk about next, but I will decide which order we will do it in, and cross them out when we’re done with the discussion. The subject highest on the list that is not crossed out is the one that we will discuss. We will not move on until six or more people agree that the discussion is over.

Subjects of Discussion
1. Possibility of dinosaur and man existing at the same time.
2.Creation and evolution.
3. Stonehenge and ancient works in the UK.
4. “Aliens”, and life in other parts of the universe.

[This message has been edited by Sir Wiedreich (edited 05-14-2004 @ 09:48 AM).]

Replies:
posted 02-04-04 02:28 PM CT (US)     1 / 1126  

While, since none of you guys have any ideas/seem interested, I’ll start you off (sorry for double-posting mods, but I want to put this in without it being at the top of this page)
First topic: Dinosaurs. The question we will attempt to answer first is whether or not dinosaurs may have existed on earth at the same time as humans. Though “science” says that dinosaurs and humans are separated by many millions of years, perhaps a closer look will prove more fruitful. Don’t always believe scientists unless you understand what they are talking about.

Throughout history and legends, people have recorded numerous tales of strange beasts. The stories of Beowulf, Regulus, St. George, and many others describe such creatures. Another interesting thing about this is that every advanced civilization has had its form of dragon. Whether it be called dragon, serpent, or quetzalcoutlas, all of these creatures were fearsome and destructive.

Some may say that the stories are just made up, but I disagree. Ancient chroniclers did not make up stories the way modern writers do. Though some may be slightly exaggerated, I don’t think that’s a significant factor in our decision. After all, why would historians make things like this up? There’s no reason too, and with a reliable source like Regulus, it’s apparent that at least some part of the story is true.

Some years ago, Japanese fishing boats pulled a carcass out the water by New Zealand. They claimed it was a plesiosaur, but skeptics insisted that it was a whale, even though it did not bear any resemblance to a whale, and the neck was significantly longer. What might this mean?
What think ye fellow forumers?

posted 02-04-04 02:32 PM CT (US)     2 / 1126  
Oh my...this is going to turn into an Evolution discussion...yay! I love arguing!

Personally, I believe that the Universe is only a few thousand years old, and Evolution does not exist.

Anyway, back on the subject. I think that it is possible for humans to have lived at the same time as dinosaurs.

/// (¬, (¯\ (¯¹ ¯)¯ (¯) )¬,
\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 02-04-04 03:07 PM CT (US)     3 / 1126  
*Disclaimer*

If you guys do choose to argue about such, I'll remind you that doing so is pointless. OD, and its predecessor, KorT, have argued about this for longer than I can remember, and nothing fruitful has been reached. Trust me, no one will convince anyone of anything.

*End Disclaimer*

*Begin Rant*

I personally think both theories are true. Sure, maybe God/X deity didn't make the world in 6 days of our time, but in the Bible it references to the fact that "1000 years is like a second" to God. So in 6 days, there would be 518400 seconds, times 1000 gives you 518,400,000 years, giving you plenty of time to evolve some stuff. Pure creationists, did you ever consider this? Did you also consider the fact there were no days before God created the sun? So a "day" in the Bible could have been any number of years.

Then again, I'm always for Douglas Adams's theory that we're just a large machine built to figure out the Ultimate Question to the Ultimate Answer of Life, the Universe, and Everything.

*End Rant*

Personally, I think maybe a few dinosaurs/prehistoric reptiles hung around for a while, hiding out... Loch Ness, etc. Look at the coelocanth (sp?) for example. That'll be all, from me.

posted 02-04-04 03:16 PM CT (US)     4 / 1126  

Quote:

quetzalcoutlas

quetzalcoatyl.

Quote:

Sure, maybe God/X deity didn't make the world in 6 days of our time, but in the Bible it references to the fact that "1000 years is like a second" to God.

Yep, it does. Are you an ardent student then?

Quote:

Personally, I believe that the Universe is only a few thousand years old, and Evolution does not exist.

Similar here. I don't see how anyone can justify the theory of evolution as being rational. It's so improbable as to be absolute nonsense.

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 02-04-04 03:33 PM CT (US)     5 / 1126  

Quoted from my thread:

Cracker Barrel

Evolution threads in library.
The Library are for debations.
posted 02-04-04 03:46 PM CT (US)     6 / 1126  
Before I start...

Quote:

Evolution threads in library.
The Library are for debations.

No, evolution threads in TC. Evolution threads good. The Library are good, but TC good for "debations" too. All right?

Quote:

Yep, it does. Are you an ardent student then?

No, I just get my facts straight before getting into an argument. I think both are true, so I examine both closely. But frankly, there's no real argument to my theory. In essence, both claims of evolution and creationism are affirmed as correct.

Quote:

Similar here. I don't see how anyone can justify the theory of evolution as being rational. It's so improbable as to be absolute nonsense.

That's a bit unfair. Most people see it the other way around. After all a deity coming out of the sky and just popping organisms out of the earth would be the thing sounding irrational to an outsider of the discussion. Remember, it was the creationist who got owned completely in the Scopes Trial, and William Jennings Bryan admitted it.

[This message has been edited by The_Cobra_81 (edited 02-04-2004 @ 03:48 PM).]

posted 02-04-04 05:54 PM CT (US)     7 / 1126  

Quote:

That's a bit unfair. Most people see it the other way around.

Who said life was fair?

\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 02-04-04 08:27 PM CT (US)     8 / 1126  
Actually, I believe that most ancient peoples got their dragon stories after finding fossilized bones of creatures they had no knowledge of. The Native Americans thought they were the bones of giants and other mythological beasts, the Chinese believed they were dragon bones, etc.

Although, with all the amazing discoveries made in the last century about mysterious creatures, it wouldn't really surprise me if a 'dragon' skeleton or dinosaur skeleton was found among humans. But pray it never happens, or we will never hear the end of it from Creationists (fundies).

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are

[This message has been edited by ax_man1 (edited 02-04-2004 @ 09:17 PM).]

posted 02-04-04 09:15 PM CT (US)     9 / 1126  
i am creationist.

i'm not a fundie though.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 02-04-04 09:17 PM CT (US)     10 / 1126  
Well...I'll let you live. I actually don't mind you being a Creationist, but if you were a fundie, then there'd be problems

ax_man1

posted 02-04-04 09:29 PM CT (US)     11 / 1126  
don't worry. i like to stay away from any argruments dealing with religion.

No. Bad Jarl. Bad Bad Jarl. NO Penis ASCII.
-Andy.
posted 02-04-04 11:56 PM CT (US)     12 / 1126  

Quote:

Sure, maybe God/X deity didn't make the world in 6 days of our time, but in the Bible it references to the fact that "1000 years is like a second" to God.

He created in six days, it is very obvious. Note that this verse is the only one in the Bible where the definition of "day" is questioned. No-one ever suggests that "Jonah spent 3 million years inside the belly of a whale", or "the Israelites marched around the walls of Jericho for 7 thousand years". A day, is a day, is a day.

Oh -- I forgot we're not supposed to turn this into a sermon...

And why can't we debate the evolution/creation theories? I just love bashin' evolutionists!

posted 02-05-04 08:11 AM CT (US)     13 / 1126  
It's great to see a lot of creationists here!

Evolution is soooooo unprobable (1/10408)

posted 02-05-04 08:25 AM CT (US)     14 / 1126  

Quote:

He created in six days, it is very obvious. Note that this verse is the only one in the Bible where the definition of "day" is questioned. No-one ever suggests that "Jonah spent 3 million years inside the belly of a whale", or "the Israelites marched around the walls of Jericho for 7 thousand years". A day, is a day, is a day.

In the Bible, one verse says: "A day for a year". How does that work then?

D_B

Đąŗķ_ßļąđę - ĄőĶĦ Főŗųmmęŗ Şįŋčę 2003

an era of glory has passed - may the arcade live on
posted 02-05-04 08:31 AM CT (US)     15 / 1126  
I'm glad I'm not the only Creationist here.

What verse is it?

\\\ ==============
/// AoKH Forumer

posted 02-05-04 03:38 PM CT (US)     16 / 1126  
Yeah, I don't get it. Most people that hear about evolution they usually don't believe it. So what's the point of teaching it in school.

And furthermore, the more people disagree with the theory of evolution the more it proves that there is indeed a true divine God.

~aoegolfer~

Proverbs 3:6
In all ways acknowlege him, and he shall direct thy paths.
I am proud to be a Mac user.
"Insanity is most incurable… So is sanity…"
posted 02-05-04 03:51 PM CT (US)     17 / 1126  

Quote:

And why can't we debate the evolution/creation theories? I just love bashin' evolutionists!

Come here, Fadawah. I'm gonna show you what I do to people who bash evolutionists

Why is evolution of life so improbable? I mean, there was a hell of a lot of chaotic things going on in the Earth's early life, which were perfect conditions for the right chemicals to combine and create a life form.

For example, when has human technology made its greatest advancements? War. Practically everything we have today was developed or enhanced for or during a war. And there have been an estimated 15,000 in the history of modern humans, so it's not a hard thing to believe. I mean, out of WWII for example, we got functional jet engines, modern plastic, widespread use of penicillen, modern computers (even if they did weigh 50 tons), technology to send satellites and eventually people into space, etc.

A world with chaos balanced with some order is the perfect place for evolution. In a perfect world with order, there would be no need for evolving for better stuff because there would be little or no need to. But in our chaotic world, chaos and war promote change and diversification.

ax_man1

[This message has been edited by ax_man1 (edited 02-05-2004 @ 03:52 PM).]

posted 02-05-04 04:55 PM CT (US)     18 / 1126  

Quote:

So what's the point of teaching it in school.

That's actually a good question. Evolution is a scientific theory. Creationism is a religious theory. If you want to talk religion, go to church. If you want to talk science, go to school.

This doesn't mean that creationism is not true, only that it's not a form of science, and so shouldn't be taught in a science class.

I'm not bashing either one. I'm just saying think of the context.

posted 02-05-04 05:41 PM CT (US)     19 / 1126  
Creation and evolution aren't mutually exclusive.
I really can't see how the evidence of evolution can be dismissed. Tell me, oh tell me? Why do the whales have similar hip bones than mammals living on land - they don't need such structure for swimming. Why do we have the coccyx (tail bone)? And to the age of the Earth question, how are the long-lived radioactive isotopes explained? With a half-life of over 700 million years, there will be a serious problem with the science if the world is only some thousand years old.

However, the creation of DNA through natural selection is on very haphazard base. This is where my religious views come in - I believe God created life. Not in 6 of our days, but 6 of His days.

Bring it on, creationists.

•Qazitory•
•AoE3 rating: Qazitory
My AoE3:TWC mods: QazUI - Treasure - Main Menu - Low Lag HC - Deck selection•
•Guide my keystrokes, keep my programs alive, protect me from viruses, back up my drive.•
posted 02-06-04 03:09 AM CT (US)     20 / 1126  

Quote:

Why is evolution of life so improbable? I mean, there was a hell of a lot of chaotic things going on in the Earth's early life, which were perfect conditions for the right chemicals to combine and create a life form.

Evolutionists believe that fish evolved into land animals, and into birds. That means that some new imformation must have been added (i.e. the information to make feathers and fur). And there is no known way in which this could have happened. There is no known scientific rule which says that information can create itself.

And also, there is the matter of transitions. How come the evolutionists never show us an animal that is half-fish and half-bird?

Quote:

only that it's not a form of science

I suggest you get hold of the Creation magazine. It shows that the creation theory is backed by science, and it doesn't even seem like a fringe theory!

posted 02-06-04 04:03 AM CT (US)     21 / 1126  
Ah....that notorious division between Darwin and ecclestical doctrine...

The more scientific specie vs the typical christianic fish...

The "Jesus Fish" and the "Darwin Fish" is one classic exemplary confluence of both science theory and sanctimony.

Now, along with the requirement of logging on (or registering in) in the New York Times...there is an article to this here.

Here's an interesting website...

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Youth Page/FishWars1.html

Qazitory is right about the multifarious correlations from embryotic forms to similar osteal organs. The last time I studied evolution more thoroughly was in middle school...Nonetheless, I am another who believes God made the world in 6 days, and the 7th day to rest.

BTW, this is more like prehistory/history, since we are considering the ages before cuniform and its cousins came....what about more mythical subjects...like Atlantis or UFO intervention in the past? (I'm being superficial, of course, on those two...but at least they pertain to civilizations)

ooooooooo ooo
ooo ooo ooo
oo oo oo
o o
oo oo o
ooo ooo ooo
ooooooooo ooo

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤- (\|2|¿ ƒ¢ -¤©¤- (' ) tc((¸') þ¿§ -¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Dexterous Damascene Deity

posted 02-06-04 09:44 AM CT (US)     22 / 1126  

Quote:

And also, there is the matter of transitions. How come the evolutionists never show us an animal that is half-fish and half-bird?

Uh, hello, ever hear of the flying fish?

ax_man1

posted 02-06-04 09:53 AM CT (US)     23 / 1126  
*blink*

Yes...? I don't believe in evolution... er... Somewhat.

I believe in evolution of self, not from man to ape.

I shouldn't reply unless I think of what to say...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
posted 02-06-04 10:43 AM CT (US)     24 / 1126  
No you shouldn't

ax_man1

posted 02-06-04 11:54 AM CT (US)     25 / 1126  
@ ax_man, trying to introduce flying fish into the stroy are we? Well, I suppose next you'll start talking about the theory of the fince's beaks on the Gallopiguss Islands. (have no idea how to spell this)

And then you'll start with all those mutant animals that pop up every now and then. It's like, "Do you see that cow with five legs? Entirely proves the theory of evolution."
That's about as ridiculous as saying that the cow can run faster just because he's got five legs.

Also, did you relize that if the earth were somewhere less than mile either closer or farther away from the sun, we here on earth would either burn up, or freeze to death. Actually, we wouldn't be here at all. That even still furthermore proves that there is a God and there is no such thing as evolution. The theory of evolution is just over a hundred years old. In contrast to the theory (or as it should be called, fact) of creationisim has been around for thousands of years. And no where in the Bible does it speak of any hint whatsoever of the theory of evolution.

~aoegolfer~

Proverbs 3:6
In all ways acknowlege him, and he shall direct thy paths.
I am proud to be a Mac user.
"Insanity is most incurable… So is sanity…"

[This message has been edited by aoegolfer (edited 02-06-2004 @ 11:55 AM).]

« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 10 ··· 20 ··· 30 ··· 40 ··· 45  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » The Lost Thread: Great Mysteries
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames