You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: IF YOU'RE NEW TO THIS FORUM: Read this and ask questions here.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 06-15-03 00:45 AM CT (US)   
Welcome to the General & Strategy Discussions forum!

To help determine the times of the events that take place at AoKH, use the World Time Converter.
A special thanks to Winston and TheShadowDawn for their excellent forum courtesy guide, of which I got much of this content from. Also thanks to Dark Side of Day, to whom made the original post.

Welcome to the Age of Kings Heaven General & Strategy Discussions forum! This forum is where people meet to talk about the game Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings, and the strategy part of the game. Be polite and mature, and you will probably be accepted into the community very quickly.

Before you post a question... read this post; Chances are it will answer some of your questions for you. And if it doesn't, the next step is to use the forum's "Search" function, which can be found at the bottom of the topic page. Entering a subject such as 'Turks' or 'Flush' will return all the past threads related to this topic. Your questions has most likely been answered in the past. One reason for this is because members who have been here a while tend to get sick of the same questions being asked over and over. Also check out The University, AoKH's strategy section. There are various strategy articles within it that are very helpful.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What's the best CIV? Best unit?
There are no ‘good’ or ‘bad’ civs, each and every one excels under circumstances and is generally used for those situations. In the same way, there is no best unit, each one has strengths and weaknesses, even if some are used more than others. However, to check how units measure up against other units, have a look at Stendecca's tests summary, which contains the links to each of his unit match-up tests.

What do all these words that you people use like rushing and flushing mean?
Have a look at the Words Guide to work out what some of the ‘jargon’ means. These are mostly either abbreviations of game attributes – like ‘HP’ means hit points – or names of commonly used tactics – such as ‘flushing’ means Feudal rushing.

How can I play with other Age of Kings players online?
You can play Age of Kings or The Conquerors on the MSN Gaming Zone. All you need to do is register before you can begin playing with other gamers.

What is a clan?
A clan is usually a group of players who play together and against other clans. Clan members often have a prefix before their username like members of the Tonto clan have Tonto_ before theirs and members of the Lonely Knights Clan have LKS_ before theirs. Some of the clans that frequent AoKH are Tonto, LKS, Ravenslayer, TML, Candid2K Clan and TOAO. You may see members of these clans posting in the forums from time to time.

How do I add those cool smilies and text effects to my messages?
The Forum FAQ contains this information, along with a lot of other answers to your questions about the functioning of the forums.

What do some of the abbreviations people use mean?
AoKH has a list of the definitions of the words many forumers use: Abbreviations

THE BASICS
Newbie Guide for AoK by Captn_Kidd
This is a series of seven easily-understood and applied chapters covering the most basic points on getting started and moving in the game, understanding basic economic tactics and game workings. The Newbie Guide for AoK will get you moving playing the basics in Age of Kings.

On the Road to Expert by DaRq_Darkjihad
On the Road to Expert is a series that covers many basic game points in more detail, and while some points are outdated, these are mostly still applicable to the game in general.

Here are a few articles written by ArmageddonUnlimited that you will find helpful...

Quote:

Here's 10 niche articles I wrote over a year ago. All these still for 1.0c (from just after the June 2001 patch) so they're still relevant today. They say recycling is good for the environment...

1. New to AoK or the Zone?
2. Custom Scenarios: Where, what, and how to play them.
3. A Different Douche Strategy...
4. Humor Article: Player Type Profiles - Part A
5. Humor Article: Player Type Profiles - Part B
6. 2 vs. 1 Strategies Article
7. Amusing Strategy Series: Flush Flush Strategy
8. Amusing Strategy Series: Pop 300+ with Aztec Strategy
9. History of the AoKH Ladder
10. More Aztec Strategys...

A LITTLE MORE DETAIL...
The Road of Kings by gOf_ar
The Road of Kings is a practical and easy-to-understand guide to becoming a proficient player at Age of Empires II: The Conquerors. It goes through things like game settings, civilization choice, military priorities; valuable skills that can be utilized in real time play. The Road of Kings is reliant on the player doing practical work to hone their skills... the reading material is only a guide on what to practice while applying skills as you learn them.

MAKING THE RIGHT CIVILIZATION CHOICES
Civilizations of the Ages by TheShadowDawn
Civilizations of the Ages is ideal for the learning player to gain an insight into the various strengths and weaknesses of the game civilizations, their employment, tactics and application.

HOW DO I…?
Heard of a tactic or practice and want to know how it works? Here are some commonly used ones...

Booming by Lightning_CN
Booming is a skill that all players should develop; the ability to rapidly increase the power of your economy upon reaching the Castle Age in order to enable yourself to devote more resources and attention to military operations. Lightning_CN’s article is an excellent guide to learning the machinations of ‘booming’, with accompanying recorded games to show you exactly how to do it.

Boar Luring by wageoghe
Boars are not only a source of food, but by luring them, you can increase the efficiency of gathering from them markedly by luring them to your Town Center before slaughtering them; thus the almost universally employed ability; boar luring. The ability to lure boar is essential to improve your economic power and speed.

More to come as suggestions warrant...
---------
FORUM COURTESY

This is a reminder that the people in these forums deserve respect and common courtesy. It is also a reminder that this is an Age of Kings forum, so off-topic posts are not welcome.

Please use the SEARCH Option provided at the bottom of the thread listing page to find topics you are looking for. Before posting a new thread, please do a search so you will save the trouble of having to post a new thread.

Please read the FAQ on General and Strategies that is provided so you can pick up fast, reliable information without having to wait for replies.

For OFF-TOPIC posting, please go to the TOWN'S CRIER, Age of Kings Heaven's Community forum. Alternatively you could go to OUTSIDE DISCUSSIONS located at HeavenGames' main forums.

To participate in the AOKH Forumer's Ladder system, just reply in the Ladder thread.

Please understand this is an English based website and the majority of forumers are English speakers. This means that to get the most out of the forum, please post in English.

Do not use words that are considered "cursing". Do not use words that emulate them with * or another character that still shows exactly what the word is. Please try and be clear, concise, and consistent in your use of wording. "Suck" is not a good word.

This is a great forum, and needs your support to keep it running as well. Please observe all the common sense rules and also if you see something you like on an advertisement, click through and look at it.

GENERAL & STRATEGY FORUM FAQ

Purpose
The G&S FAQ purpose is to alert new and returning players to the information that they are seeking. This is a collection of answer threads to your common questions.

Topics Overview
1. The Flush -- Revisited
2. Computer Performance for AoK
3. New to Age? New to the Zone?
4. Custom Scenarios: Where and what are they?
5. Guide to the Douche Strategy
6. Player types on the Zone. PartA
7. Player types on the Zone. Part B
8. 2 vs. 1 Strategies
9. Amusing Strategy:C Flush Flush Strategy
10. Amusing Strategy: Pop 300+ with Aztec Strategy
11. Little Known Secret of the Great Series
12. Rushing Strategies - See Detailed FAQ Content
13. King Scouting
14. Cheesy's Guide to Succesful advertising for Zone Games

FAQ Content - Detailed

11. Rushing Strategies

Elite Knight's Fast Castle Strategy

Pantheon's Gush Strategy

HERO's M@A Rush Strategy

icewall's Douche Strategy

micr0boy's Tower Rush Strategy

To ADD things to this FAQ, please provide a description and a link to the thread that you wish to highlight via a reply.

Angel Aro
Age of Kings Heaven Angel | Empires Heaven Angel
Events:

[This message has been edited by Angel Aro (edited 09-07-2003 @ 01:00 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-03-03 12:47 PM CT (US)     1 / 160  
Cheesy .

None of us are free, one of us is chained.
posted 07-04-03 10:25 PM CT (US)     2 / 160  
whats AoC stand for????????
posted 07-05-03 00:39 AM CT (US)     3 / 160  
Age of Empires II: The Age of Kings is nicknamed AoK (Age of Kings), and Age of Empires II: The Conquerors is nicknamed AoC (Age of Conquerors). They are just short names for the actual game.

Angel Aro
Age of Kings Heaven Angel | Empires Heaven Angel
Events:

[This message has been edited by Angel Aro (edited 07-06-2003 @ 02:15 AM).]

posted 07-05-03 00:52 AM CT (US)     4 / 160  

Quote:

The Conqerors

STEVE
Age of Kings Heaven, Myll Clan

* Learn the Flush -- So you know how to play the game.
* Play Online -- So you can actually play the game.
posted 07-05-03 08:01 PM CT (US)     5 / 160  
ello ello,
how do you create your own topic in the forums...?

don't say things that you know nothing about.

William Smith

posted 07-05-03 08:24 PM CT (US)     6 / 160  
New Topic.

STEVE

posted 07-05-03 10:34 PM CT (US)     7 / 160  
Click below:

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.

[This message has been edited by CrystalCrown (edited 07-05-2003 @ 10:40 PM).]

posted 07-20-03 08:34 PM CT (US)     8 / 160  
Seriously, some noobies just cant fend for themselves....

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
posted 07-20-03 09:44 PM CT (US)     9 / 160  
Plz tell me what can you do in the demo? Like new map and stuff.
Thnx if u do tell me.
posted 07-25-03 02:57 PM CT (US)     10 / 160  
hey everyone im new 2 this forum but an intermidiate AoC playr.Just sayin hi and i just want 2 get 2 know evey1.

Zeros if ur out there,im 1 of ur clan,...Yoshi32!

WW3 will be fought with nuclear weapons....but WW4 will be fought with sticks and stones...-Albert Einstein

posted 07-26-03 12:06 PM CT (US)     11 / 160  
Welcome to AoKH, Captain Nemo!

Over here, I'd recommend that you cut back on the "AOL Speak" (with the 1's and 2's) since most of the people here don't appreciate forumers talking like this forum was a chat room.

CRYSTALCROWN

Play OnlineBecause you really can't gloat about beating the computer.
Learn the FlushSo you don't lose every game in under 20 minutes.

It's not a post count; it's making your posts count.
posted 08-01-03 12:40 PM CT (US)     12 / 160  
! ! !

I just can't get enough of that Italic exclamation mark...

--
--- ---- -
----- --- -
-
posted 08-12-03 03:44 PM CT (US)     13 / 160  

Sorry, I just had to.

STEVE

posted 08-12-03 04:40 PM CT (US)     14 / 160  
tisk tisk Stevay...

Helmet_Olsomn2
The Library.:.Age of Civilizations
"So I had a choice, either take the word of a madman, or defend America." - President Bush
"Most look up and admire the stars. A champion climbs a mountain and grabs one."
posted 08-12-03 09:37 PM CT (US)     15 / 160  
Nice macro

For Future Reference

VIEW THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING ANY THREADS ABOUT THE BEST CIV/UU/UT AND SUCH

Any threads about non-unique units (are generally available to all civs, and are always available with All Techs on). Otherwise, view the thread above instead.

BLITZBALL!
Fooly Cooly
Current Projects: Final Fantasy I .4%
Look out for recruiting of future Final Fantasy games by me
posted 08-19-03 08:01 AM CT (US)     16 / 160  
Thats one of the funnier ones.

--
--- ---- -
----- --- -
-
posted 08-29-03 06:08 PM CT (US)     17 / 160  

Quote:

For Future Reference

VIEW THIS THREAD BEFORE POSTING ANY THREADS ABOUT THE BEST CIV/UU/UT AND SUCH

That thread sucks.

Anything that wins with only four votes is moronic.

STEVE

posted 08-30-03 01:50 PM CT (US)     18 / 160  
i downloaded a file so that i could make sea walls but i cant do anything with the file... WTGDF AM I DOING WRONG!!!.... >_>.......<_<..........o_o......
posted 08-30-03 03:40 PM CT (US)     19 / 160  

Quote:

i downloaded a file so that i could make sea walls but i cant do anything with the file... WTGDF AM I DOING WRONG!!!....

First, it's a scenario.

Second, it's meant for ONLY scenario design.

Third, if you need help with putting the sea Walls in your scenario, ask the Scenario Design forum.

STEVE

posted 08-31-03 03:00 PM CT (US)     20 / 160  
BIG PROBLEM.

HG is now redirecting EVERY link you post, and thus, now you CAN'T EVEN link to other threads (you get this "thread/forum doesn't exist" message).

UH OH!

STEVE

posted 08-31-03 11:19 PM CT (US)     21 / 160  
I re-did the thread layout into HTML, so the links should work. I've e-mailed Zen about the problem with linking to threads, and hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

» Your attractive master.
» "Because I before E is a LIE!!!"

[This message has been edited by Angel Aro (edited 08-31-2003 @ 11:23 PM).]

posted 09-07-03 08:51 AM CT (US)     22 / 160  
Aro's our hero!

¯\/\\evo'_____________________________________
¯¯//¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
"i get more IM's from AOL System Message than from everyone else"-Anonymous
posted 09-15-03 00:11 AM CT (US)     23 / 160  
I'd like to know something... How can you get yourself a signature?
posted 09-15-03 00:46 AM CT (US)     24 / 160  
posted 09-15-03 03:29 AM CT (US)     25 / 160  
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » IF YOU'RE NEW TO THIS FORUM: Read this and ask questions here.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames