You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: "AoC SaveChapterTool" (by BugA)
posted 01-15-10 04:51 PM CT (US)   
NOTE: Updated on 26/12/2010, version 2.0.0.0
Original topic posted on AoCZone.

Info: AoC SaveChapterTool (v2.0) is a software that enables preset automatic chapter saving into the recorded game while playing, configurable keyboard hotkeys for easier recorded game playback, and can fix in-game color problems (on Vista / Windows 7) if needed.

DOWNLOAD AoC_SaveChapterTool_v2.0.zip (160 KB)

Preview (main window):

How to use:

1. Unpack the packed file (WinZIP, WinRAR).
  2. Start AoC SaveChapterTool.exe.
  3. Configure the chapter saving interval (main window, Details...) for playing, and hotkeys to use with recorded game playback.
  4. Click Start button, and the program will minimize into system tray (bottom right, near the clock), saving chapters while you play or enabling the use of hotkeys while you watch recorded games, without any need to change anything even if you close and reopen your game.
By clicking on program`s icon in system tray the main window will appear again, and you can Stop, reconfigure or close the program (note that all settings will be saved for future use).

Version changelog:

• version 2.0.0.0 (26/12/2010)
    - RecGame Playback Hotkeys option added for using configurable keyboard hotkeys when watching a recorded game
  • version 1.1.0.1 (10/07/2010)
    - Changed timer limit from 100 min to 9999 min (useful when program is used only for fixing Vista/Win7 color problem)
  • version 1.1.0.0 (01/02/2010)
    - Suspend Explorer (.exe) option added (trying to fix problems on Windows Vista/7)
    - Game filename is not important anymore (it had to be either "aoc.exe" or "age2_x1.exe" in the previous version)
    - Chapter saving logic improved (prevented potential bugs)
    - Small GUI (graphic user interface) changes

• Screenshots (Details, Hotkeys, About):

Important notes:

• .NET Framework 2.0 is needed for this application to run. Many of you should have it installed already, if not, download it from here. Version 2.0 is old version, if you want you may download the latest one, version 3.5 (it contains all the older versions, too).

• List item Saving chapters significantly enlarges recorded game file size, so don`t use too small time intervals for chapter saving. Recommended time is 10 to 30 minutes (so you`ll have a few chapters in your recorded game).

• Because of the Suspend Explorer (.exe) option, program needs Administrator rights on Windows Vista and Windows 7 to run. It might won`t ask you anything, but if you have User Account Control (UAC) turned on, upon starting the program you`ll be prompted to allow needed rights to the program, so please do so. This is needed to be done for now, even if you won`t use this option. Another possibility is to right-click the icon that you use to run the program, and then click "Run as administrator".

• About the program:

Beside visual improvements, program got some more options which will make chapter saving as easy and customizable as anyone could wish for! One of the main improvements is possibility to Synchronize the program with the in-game clock, so no matter if game lags, or you pause it a few times, each chapter will be saved in exactly chosen moment!

Chapter Saving (while playing and recording a game): Clock synchronization is supported for game versions 1.0c/1.0e and VEG (windowed mode), while the program may run non-synchronized with all the game versions (though chapter saving will not be so precise).

Each time you start the game (or the program), game version will be checked, and program will set itself correctly to work in Sync / Non-Sync mode, with indicator on the main menu showing the current state (Sync: ON/OFF).

Nonetheless, now it is enough to set chapter saving interval(s), and start a program, which will go to system tray and watch if you`re playing the game -- automatically adjusting itself so it will save chapters correctly in each of the games you play, even if you close the game completely and start it again! You don`t have to change anything, just keep the "AoC SaveChapterTool" running in the system tray.

Another neat function is a possibility to set up to four chapter savepoints -- precise points in time when a chapter is going to be saved. After all savepoints have passed, program will continue chapter saving in interval given on main program menu.

For example, with settings shown on pictures, first chapter will be saved on 08'00", next one on 15'00", and after that on every 15 minutes (30'00", 45'00"...), as long as the game lasts.

Four chapter savepoints (plus interval chapter saving) should be enough for everyone, we must not forget that each saved chapter makes a recorded game file much, much bigger.

Beep (pc speaker sound): For testing purposes, Beep option is implemented. When this option is checked, instead of saving chapter on given time, program will send a BEEP sound, making it easier to check if everything is working correctly.

Suspend Explorer (.exe) (fix colors on Vista / Win 7): When checked, suspends explorer.exe upon starting the game, trying to correct the game`s color palette (mixed colors). When game is closed, starts explorer.exe once again. Default state: Unchecked.

Hotkeys (for recorded game playback): Preview and set keyboard hotkeys to use when watching a recorded game. Instead of moving your mouse and clicking desired buttons, just press the assigned hotkey and enjoy watching in a more convenient way.

Hotkeys will be active only when you watch the recorded game (not while playing), and only when the game is active, meaning that if you ALT+TAB out of the game, hotkeys won`t interfere with your work. Once you`re back to watching recorded game, hotkeys will be active again.

As a bonus, a small fix to the game`s original behavior has been added, making Fog of War checked and Demo Loop unchecked at the start of recored game playback.

All original game resolutions are supported (800x600, 1024x768 and 1280x1024) in both full screen mode (default), or windowed (VEG mod). If you need support for any other resolution, please reply to this topic with your request and in-game sreenshot (while watching a recorded game in that resolution).

It is important to note that program saves all of the settings you made, so there`s no need to set everything again next time -- just start the program, and enjoy playing, while "AoC SaveChapterTool" does all the hard work for you, saving chapters in desired time for easier replaying of the recorded game

Program is even tested with online playing (Voobly), but I guess it should work well with GamePark and GameRanger, too (if someone tries it, please report if it works)

Author`s endnotes:

Special thanks to ShadowSlayer and CondoM for help with testing program`s abilities and functionality on Windows Vista and Windows 7, and noc, kitt and [GodZ]splatter_56 for testing on Voobly.

In the end, once again big thanks to biegleux for helping with game time synchronization, and to fee for the idea and his "AoC ChapterScript".

I hope you`ll enjoy using the program as much as I enjoyed creating it, and that you`ll find it useful in either ocasional or every day playing.

All the best, BugA

p.s. If you find any bugs, please report so we may desinsect them

"Master of the Huns" Collector`s Edition (Best Games, Archives, The Final)
    AoC Tools: SaveChapterTool, Voobly Rating Calculator || AoE Dev Group | AoC Zone

"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat, The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
    But now I am a great king, the people hound my track, With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back..."

[This message has been edited by BugA_the_Great (edited 12-27-2010 @ 09:23 AM).]

Replies:
    posted 01-15-10 07:18 PM CT (US)     1 / 7  
    Great tool!

Thanks for including the source; I am studying programming and this should be helpful to look through.
    posted 01-15-10 07:51 PM CT (US)     2 / 7  
    No problem, and thank you

It is a very simple program, quickly written just to work, the code is not optimized nor the application is visually done, but hey -- that`s why I put that 0.0.5 version

I don`t know how much you can learn from it, but be my guest to look through it

You can find more AoC related software (with sources) here, coded by biegleux.

AoC Tools: SaveChapterTool, Voobly Rating Calculator || AoE Dev Group | AoC Zone

"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat, The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
    But now I am a great king, the people hound my track, With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back..."
    posted 01-24-10 00:28 AM CT (US)     3 / 7  
    (old info deleted)

[This message has been edited by BugA_the_Great (edited 01-31-2010 @ 09:03 PM).]

posted 01-31-10 07:55 PM CT (US)     4 / 7  
    New version is ready for download!
    (also added to the first post)

DOWNLOAD: (147 KB)

Version changelog:

version 1.1 (01/02/2010)
    -----------------------------
    - Suspend Explorer (.exe) option added (trying to fix problems on Windows Vista / Windows 7)
    - Game filename is not important anymore (it had to be either "aoc.exe" or "age2_x1.exe" in the previous version)
    - Chapter saving logic improved (prevented potential bugs)
    - Small GUI (graphic user interface) changes

Special thanks to ShadowSlayer and CondoM for help with testing program`s abilities and functionality on Windows Vista and Windows 7!

Suspend Explorer (.exe) option, when checked, suspends explorer.exe upon starting the game, trying to correct the game`s color palette (mixed colors). When game is closed, starts explorer.exe once again. Default state: Unchecked.

NOTE: Because of the Suspend Explorer (.exe) option, program needs Administrator rights on Windows Vista and Windows 7 to run. It might won`t ask you anything, but if you have User Account Control (UAC) turned on, upon starting the program you`ll be prompted to allow needed rights to the program, so please do so. This is needed to be done for now, even if you won`t use this option. Another possibility is to right-click the icon that you use to run the program, and then click "Run as administrator".

[This message has been edited by BugA_the_Great (edited 01-31-2010 @ 09:20 PM).]

posted 01-31-10 08:25 PM CT (US)     5 / 7  
    Lookin' good!

- ک

Ladies and Gentlemen, wear sunscreen. If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be IT. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by scientists, whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience.

This message has been brought to you by procrastination and the letters K and V.
    posted 02-01-10 03:32 PM CT (US)     6 / 7  
    Whoa, pretty neat! :O

__--==_General Short_==--__

__Legend of the Wandering King_90%|William Wallace Campaign_99%|Siege of Yorktown_14%__

[This message has been edited by General_Short (edited 02-01-2010 @ 03:32 PM).]

posted 02-02-10 06:55 AM CT (US)     7 / 7  
    Thank you guys, I hope you`ll find it useful

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » "AoC SaveChapterTool" (by BugA)
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames