Please login or register

General and Strategy Discussion
Moderated by John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Weekend Warriors XXII: April 21st, 2012
posted 04-20-12 07:06 PM CT (US)   

It is time once again for the warriors to gather! The party starts Saturday, April 21st, at 5PM EST, and everyone is welcome and encouraged to play. Skype communication via mic is fun, but not needed.

To quote sly_guy: We will have fun. It is required that you enjoy yourself.

• What: AoKH Weekend Warriors - fun-filled multiplayer hangout with various maps
  • Who: Anyone from AoKH. If your dog has an account, your dog can play (How does it use a keyboard?)
  • Where: Voobly
  • When: Saturday, April 21st, 5PM EST (posted twice in case you missed it)
  • Why: Why not?
  • How: See Getting Started Playing Online

Champions:

To join, just post your Voobly and/or GameRanger name like my name below. Those lined up for the battlefield are as follows (Voobly/GR names in bold, champions without RSVP in grey):

Leif Ericson Leif_Ericson
    Barbarossa89 Barbarossa89
    ChickenWrap ChickenWrap
    Commander Scipio CommanderScipio
    Dannflor Dannflor
    Donnie Donnie
    dukla dukla
    Jatayu jatayu
    maximusSVK SunflowerS
    Mayank Sharma BF_Stroke
    NowhereT NowhereT
    sly_guy [TOAO]_Keith
    TOAO_DaVe [AU]AgeofStoneWalls
    Offwo200 TheNoobScripter
    Andrew_V Marsh_
    ww_Lord Farquaad B00ger [wW]Myst_
    Cysion Cysion
    Tetsuo Shima Tetsuo_Shima
    panel pana_cotel
    Lord Basse Lord_Basse

If you agree with these main motives then SIGN UP:

1) I LOVE AOKH! IT IS BY FAR THE MOST FUN AGE OF EMPIRES COMMUNITY! Not to mention better than any other online game...right?

2) I'm getting Fiber Optics tomorrow and I'm itching to test it out!

3) My girlfriend wants me to go for a meal with her parents but I love AOK more and is a decent excuse to get out of it.

So all you peoples of AoKH, who's with us? Put down your Xbox controllers, TV Remotes, and Knitting Materials, pick up your swords and come and fight for GLORRYRYYYAARRAAAAA*cough**hack**cough**flem*.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´
  • Replies:
    posted 04-20-12 07:09 PM CT (US)     1 / 15  
    The password shall be hunter. The password may be in all caps. The password may be lowercase. No one ever knows. If dukla is hosting, the password might be something different altogether, in which case I suggest you look at this post.

I also suggest you try finding us in the Agincourt Lobby.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 04-20-2012 @ 07:19 PM).]

posted 04-21-12 04:45 PM CT (US)     2 / 15  
    Games will be starting in about 15 minutes. Get ready to play!

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    posted 04-21-12 07:25 PM CT (US)     3 / 15  
    dukla is a fascist!

"Scipio is more charismatic than you are." -Rocking Doom
    "Scipio ... narcissistic ... overly arrogant cuckold ... noble souls and gentlemen, ... spare a second ... basic and ennui existence ... feeble pleasure ... his life more bearable ... monotony of stoic reality." *-Scud
    "SCIPIO YOU SUN BITCH" -TOAO_Roland
    posted 04-22-12 07:09 AM CT (US)     4 / 15  
    apparently I missed a tonne of it, but turnout seemed real good, and a looooott of games played

and even an appearance from the legendary pikeman93!

Signed,
    DaVe.

[This message has been edited by TOAO_DaVe (edited 04-22-2012 @ 07:10 AM).]

posted 04-22-12 07:55 AM CT (US)     5 / 15  
    I am sorry I couldn't be there. My brother came for a visit, and I think he's a little more important than aok
    posted 04-22-12 10:26 AM CT (US)     6 / 15  
    Great game guys!

After playing Teutons three times on BF, now I learn their true weakness - speed and range!

Chinese opponent raided my base with 40 light cavalry at one point (yes, just light cavalry). Nothing can catch up and kill them, not even paladins. While my paladins were too busy chasing them down, they've already done a good damage to my economy. Needless to say, I lost. If I had something fast like camels or arbalests, that would have been great.
    posted 04-22-12 01:20 PM CT (US)     7 / 15  
    Also, walling off between you and your ally doesn't help your trade too much......

I heard from barneythegreat that his ally walled off between them, and never deleted the wall, even though all game long he was flaring. Eventually, he cut around with trebs.

Teutons have that disadvantage on open maps, but on closed maps, they should be able to hold a gap easily without letting anything in. If light cavalry do get in, garrison the villagers. TC +2 attack will help fight it off. If you really worry, make some BBT in your base. Teutons dominate most civilizations on BF. Koreans and Turks give them trouble, but Koreans and Turks give EVERYONE trouble. BBT, siege onager, and paladin, not to mention hand cannons, heavy scorpions, cannons, and a fast boom on top of it.

Celts are still better on BF overall.
    posted 04-22-12 03:06 PM CT (US)     8 / 15  

Yes, my 5 Mangudai castles killed dozens of Barney's trade carts.

Pikeman, to play multiplayer, you gotta learn to recognize chats and flares. You were playing fine on BF, but when you're not communicating with your ally, it's tough for any pairing. If you play mostly 1v1s, it's not so much of a problem, but tgs, it really can be. It's just something that takes some getting used to.

In that same game, I think Dave might've broke his keyboard screaming at me. "GUARD YOUR RAMS!!!!!!!" "GET MORE RAMS!!!!!!" "BUILD MORE HUSSARS!!!!!" "STOP BEING A WUSS!!!!!" "31" "31" "31" "31" "31" "31"
    posted 04-22-12 03:12 PM CT (US)     9 / 15  
    Teutons have that disadvantage on open maps, but on closed maps, they should be able to hold a gap easily without letting anything in. If light cavalry do get in, garrison the villagers. TC +2 attack will help fight it off.
    Teutons dont have +2 attack for TC.
    posted 04-22-12 06:59 PM CT (US)     10 / 15  
    Whoops. Yeah... I guess I should have built a gate between me and my ally instead. Sorry Barney. I guess that's why I lost. Ran out of gold and had to sell precious stone.

Regarding Elite Teutonic Knights - wow they probably do worse than what I expected. My opponents were Koreans and Mongols (two civs that pwn Teutons), and I had to use only siege onagers before I could get paladins. I guess if the opponent has anything ranged you're better off not producing ETK's, because they're only going to be sitting ducks. Barb - would paladins + hand cannoneers for halbs and camels + siege onager + BBC for buildings be a good combination?

[This message has been edited by pikeman93 (edited 04-22-2012 @ 07:07 PM).]

posted 04-22-12 07:13 PM CT (US)     11 / 15  
    @pikeman: There is a reason why TK's have low ranged armor, it's their only real weakness, because they are real juggernauts against melee, just like huskarls are the other way around, even if you had enough castles and an economy to allow yourself to pump them, massed archers and scorpions beat them all the way back to Germany.

Teutons' horrible archers don't make it better.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
    My Works
    ¡Viva México!
    My Coat of Arms
    posted 04-22-12 07:22 PM CT (US)     12 / 15  
    I also don't quite see how ETK's can do so well in melee either. Every single melee unit is faster than ETK's, and whereas it's true that they all lose 1 vs 1 against an ETK, they can simply run past it. I mean, ETK's counter elite mamelukes beautifully, but if 30 elite mamelukes entered your town to kill your villagers and then ran back out your ETK's would only walk after them helplessly.

I only see ETK's good in trash wars and in fast booms (since all castle age units do 1 damage against ETK's) but that's it. In late games ETK's would probably all be replaced by paladins.
    posted 04-22-12 07:23 PM CT (US)     13 / 15  
    Teutons no longer have +2 attack. You are correct. I was mistaken.

Elite Teutonic Knights are great for:

When you are faster than your opponent. They raze a town very fast when there is no military opposition, and they kill most castle age units. They are not necessarily so great later.

Against late imperial armies consisting of:

Paladins, Throwing Axemen, Mamelukes, trash, champions, camels, woad raiders, huskarls, and isolated siege.

Elite Teutonic Knights lose to anything with an attack bonus against them (jaguar warriors, samurai, cataphracts,) or anything with a pierce attack of more than seven. War Wagons and Mangudai fit the second criterion.

Against Mongols, use siege onagers, elite skirmishers, bombard towers, and paladins. Cannons or trebuchets are good too if he is micromanaging siege onagers to avoid everything.

Against Koreans, be faster. Teutons have an excellent boom. Koreans have an inferior boom. They beat everyone on black forest in late imperial anyway, so you don't want to be fighting them then. If you must, then do castle pushing instead of BBT pushing. Their siege onagers outrange Teuton BBTs, as do their BBTs. Castle pushing is expensive, so plan on being faster. Perhaps you might want to do a monk rush.
    posted 04-22-12 07:29 PM CT (US)     14 / 15  
    Teutonic knights are an offensive unit. If you can attack your enemy with plenty of ETKs and prevent your enemy from amassing large amounts or ranged units, castles, or BBTs, your enemy will have difficulty defending against you. Their defensive capabilities are poor.

´ `  |_\
    ______|______
     \        /
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    posted 04-22-12 07:46 PM CT (US)     15 / 15  
    Your problem was you went ETKs vs Koreans, whose best unit's are WWs and SOnars, both of which really crush ETKs. It wasn't the civ's fault, it wasn't the units fault, it was an issue of scouting and reading your opponent.

Our 3 Civs were Koreans, Mongols, and Chinese. All of whom have a monster UU that does incredibly well vs ETKs (at least when you bother microing them, which I did not).

The next issue was your timing. BarneyTheGreat was fighting through 10 layers of stone walls, so I had time to send my Mangudai over to bail out Leif while he was getting ready. You were right to fall back (although I was wrong to not micro, 11), but you waited too long to try to push again. In the mean time, Barney had broken through the stonewalls, and I had to commit to fight him. With some coordination with your ally, you would've been able to strike before Leif was prepared to fight your units and break through him quickly. Or, an even better idea, would've been to attack me from behind. As bad as I am at BF and Post-Imp armies, Scip was rebuilding and I was struggling to beat massed Paladins. If your ETKs had gone right for him instead of going for Leif, that game was totally winnable for you guys. It would've had the additional advantage of blocking me from any trade (which was already very bad for me).

What ended up happening is that I got to play Barney 1v1, until Scip got his eco built up and bailed me out there. Barney was able to push quite a few times, but Scip was able to save me every time Barney got to a point to beat me. If you would've been attacking me from behind, it would've been an easy win for you guys. It wasn't a civ problem, and while I don't think ETKs were the best unit to have used, it wasn't even a unit problem. It was a tactical and communication problem.

BF is a game that needs a LOT of ally coordination. Doubles, triples, slinging, and finding a weak point are all essential. When you don't communicate with your ally, you don't find out these things and can't capitalize on them.

That's my reading of the game, maybe Dave, Scip, or Leif had a different interpretation, but until Leif was able to get out, I was most worried about ETKs just slow marching through my eco while trying to beat Pals on the other side.
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » General and Strategy Discussion » Weekend Warriors XXII: April 21st, 2012
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames