Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: His Majesty Presents:
posted 05-31-06 12:12 PM CT (US)   
The Manuscripts

This is where I bullshit you with some poem or something crazy like that. Note the mysterious quality given to the text by the italicization. Is that a word?

I've started work (again) on this project. Please make note: I don't feel like incorporating all the fancy schmancy little tricks that Oliver and all those hex editing bastards discovered in order to make life difficult for us who are too lazy to add invisible flying bananas to our scenarios. So in other words, no hex edited Geni-Ed units or terrain tricks, everything is 100% reproducible with the AoC editor. (Guaranteed.)

At one time I had a neat little Iframe powered website made for this, but when transferring servers it screwed up and it was out of date and I didn't feel like changing it and I didn't care at the time. So no website.

This is the description I wrote for the website:

Quote:

"The Manuscripts" is set in the English colony of New Chaseford during 1730.
Take on the role of the English captain William Marbury as you are summoned from your home by the English governor of New Chaseford. Soon, you will embark upon a mysterious journey to find a lost treasure greater than most kings' ransoms. Fight pirates, smugglers and natives, captain ships and explore the entire island. Set out on a great journey complete with several side quests, dynamic characters and a soundtrack from Akella's Pirates of the Caribbean also featuring snippets from Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. A unique story unfolds from the Age of Kings engine with this scenario. "The Manuscripts" is one of the few pirate-themed scenarios for Age of Kings: The Conquerors. I hope you will enjoy the campaign.

OK, so here's the statistics (you know, trigger count, the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN SCENARIO EDITING!!1onehundredeleven).

Features:
- Four 18th century towns and villages to explore.
- Large main quest and a few side quests, but nothing too ridiculous.
- Music and sounds from Akella's Pirates of the Caribbean PC game, as well as music from Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World.
- An item system powered by a custom AI. Actually I just copied the Immobile Units AI GOLD and added a few taunt functions.
- You can buy a ship to sail to your destinations or skip it entirely and go on foot.
- Ranking system. You gain naval ranks for killing things and such. Powered by a simple kill count system, so it's really just a gimmick.
- Fight pirates, natives, satanists, homosexuals and smugglers.
- A decent sized map that will probably take a bit of time to explore.
- A store system in New Chaseford (the British colony).

Screenshots:
Because half of you can't read.
- Mapshot
- New Chaseford Port
- Native Island
- Native Village
- Pirate Town
- Shipwreck
- Smuggler Town

Downloads:
- Prologue Scenario - Build 3.6
- Prologue Music Files
- New Chaseford Exhibition Scenario *

* = music files provided

Playtesting:
If you're going to sign up for playtesting and not reply within a few days, then for Christ's sake don't sign up.

For now the only things available for testing are the Prologue scenario and the New Chaseford Exhibition scenario, so if you playtest, download those and reply with some feedback.

Thanks.

Edit: I completely forgot to add the screenshots I meticulously prepared.

[This message has been edited by Colo the Great (edited 05-31-2006 @ 01:33 PM).]

Replies:
posted 05-31-06 12:33 PM CT (US)     1 / 20  
Wow, sounds good. I can't playtest though cuz I'm already behind swamped with playtesting other campaigns not to mention school. Sorry, wish I could. Anyway good luck .
posted 05-31-06 01:19 PM CT (US)     2 / 20  
Well, the screenshots look fine an' dandy, I did not catch anything about the storyline, though. Posting a thread when there is actually something to post about(75%completed) = Kudos to you, man.

Also, its a shame that I do not have the time to sign up as a playtester and not reply for a couple of weeks...Anyways, good luck and happy designing.

___~ Super Cell 51 ~___
"Live every day as though it was your last."
JESUS SAVES!
posted 05-31-06 01:54 PM CT (US)     3 / 20  
ROFL! I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be laughing or offended, so I'm both. But I mostly laugh.

Btw I think I and newIdea are the only ones who've decided to used a hex-haxed data file for our campaign, so I don't think you need to feel threatened.

posted 05-31-06 01:55 PM CT (US)     4 / 20  

Quote:

This is where I bullshit you with some poem or something crazy like that. Note the mysterious quality given to the text by the italicization. Is that a word?

Quote:

those hex editing bastards discovered in order to make life difficult for us who are too lazy to add invisible flying bananas to our scenarios

Damn, how could I stand a week without you, Colo?

I've played the prologue a good while ago. It was very good.

EDIT:

Quote:

Btw I think I and newIdea are the only ones who've decided to used a hex-haxed data file for our campaign, so I don't think you need to feel threatened

No, you're not the only ones...

[This message has been edited by Cesar Bernardi (edited 05-31-2006 @ 01:56 PM).]

posted 05-31-06 01:56 PM CT (US)     5 / 20  
Stephen Richards coined "invisible flying bananas" a while back.
posted 05-31-06 02:01 PM CT (US)     6 / 20  
Ah, yes, you too Cesar. Forgot I made you that install script a few months ago.

Quote:

Stephen Richards coined "invisible flying bananas" a while back.

Indeed he did. He is one funny feller. In his own, very English way.
posted 05-31-06 02:09 PM CT (US)     7 / 20  

Quote:

So you did put that in after our little disscuion

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 05-31-06 02:25 PM CT (US)     8 / 20  

Quoted from no lIver:

Btw I think I and newIdea are the only ones who've decided to used a hex-haxed data file for our campaign, so I don't think you need to feel threatened

My .dat pwns your .dat, Mr. noLlie.

jus kidin
I haven't started doing my "magicians" yet.

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 05-31-2006 @ 02:25 PM).]

posted 05-31-06 04:27 PM CT (US)     9 / 20  

Quoted from Colo:

Please make note: I don't feel like incorporating all the fancy schmancy little tricks that Oliver and all those hex editing bastards discovered in order to make life difficult for us who are too lazy to add invisible flying bananas to our scenarios. So in other words, no hex edited Geni-Ed units or terrain tricks, everything is 100% reproducible with the AoC editor. (Guaranteed.)

Quoted from Colo, again:

Colo, I really do love you.
Well, not really.

Campaign/scenario looks good, Colo. Sign me up for playtesting why dontchya? later, I don't have time right now.

[This message has been edited by Thunder77 (edited 05-31-2006 @ 04:30 PM).]

posted 05-31-06 05:25 PM CT (US)     10 / 20  

Quote:

This is where I bullshit you with some poem or something crazy like that.

Quote:

too lazy to add invisible flying bananas to our scenarios

I think I'm in love.

Sounds good, lookin forward to seeing it.

posted 06-01-06 05:09 PM CT (US)     11 / 20  
W-ow!
Sign me in as a playtester! Those screenshots turn me on... LMAO no, they are just great !!

Your screenshots make my screenshots look like crap in my scenario's.

ФČirozon ~ ŻęღusФ╔╣ĐestinΨ╠╗ФČirozon ~ ŻęღusФ
ˆ·._.-ALGEBRA: A Weapon of Math Destruction-._.·ˆ
ФČirozon ~ ŻęღusФ╚╣ĐestinΨ╠╝ФČirozon ~ ŻęღusФ
Once I wondered why a frisbee got bigger as it got closer to me, but then it hit me...
Project:Battle of the Midnight Sky
posted 06-04-06 12:18 PM CT (US)     12 / 20  
This looks great. I once tried to start a pirate-theme project, but never finished it. This may be a campaign that I might actually TRY and PLAY. So keep up the good work, this thread doesn't deserve to sink among all those other lousy project threads. =/

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 06-06-06 03:39 PM CT (US)     13 / 20  
Thank you Surge.

Any more comments before this thread (naturally) joins the rest of AoKH in Davy Jones' Locker?

posted 06-06-06 04:43 PM CT (US)     14 / 20  
If you'd take the energy you use bitching at people in the forums here and use it to finish this project instead you'd probably be done within 48 hours.

It is a project worthy of the energy, so just go do it.

Current projects:

Undead 2 [Gateways] released
Site http://www.hellstromshive.net/UndeadHome.html

• Undead 1 [Resurrection] 99% done

posted 06-06-06 04:52 PM CT (US)     15 / 20  
It takes me approximately 30 seconds to write a post double this length, so I spend about 10 minutes every day reading and posting.
posted 06-07-06 05:30 AM CT (US)     16 / 20  
Time does not equal energy.

Current projects:

Undead 2 [Gateways] released
Site http://www.hellstromshive.net/UndeadHome.html

• Undead 1 [Resurrection] 99% done

[This message has been edited by aka the Pilot (edited 06-07-2006 @ 05:31 AM).]

posted 06-07-06 01:41 PM CT (US)     17 / 20  
Shut up. The campaign is almost done anyways.
posted 06-07-06 07:05 PM CT (US)     18 / 20  
Can't wait! This is certainly a promising campaign.
posted 06-08-06 04:41 PM CT (US)     19 / 20  
I remember you were looking for playtesters for this, oh, a year ago? You never sent anything out anyway. Get on with it!

Damn impressive screenies by the way.

"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
                            Kfish2oo2
                      -*'`^"^`'*- =~
    '*-=~+,._.,+                      `^"^`'*-=~+,._.,+~=-*'`^"
posted 06-08-06 04:43 PM CT (US)     20 / 20  
Hmm, your map's a little flat... Might wanna add some elevation? Just a suggestion...
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » His Majesty Presents:
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames