Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Mixing Terrain Effectively And It's Uses: A Tutorial by Scud
posted 08-14-06 10:30 AM CT (US)   
Mixing Terrain Effectively And It's Uses: A Tutorial by Scud

In order to produce quality scenarios, the caliber of the map design is one of the most important factors - yet it is harder than you might believe to produce a "pretty" map.

A believable a map helps engage the player and bring the scenario to a whole new level. Say if you wanted to do an Aztec scenario, it would be wise to try and make the map look as much like the terrain and vegetation found in Central American as possible. This is common knowledge, for you don't put jungle trees with snow for this would just be unbelievable, even if you were making a fantasy scenario, this would spoil the map and put the player off.

So, if you have the correct setting, say a road in the country-side you have to make it look convincing. It's no good just placing down "dirt 1" on plain "grass 2" lined by lumps of trees.
Image I
If you look at Image I, this is a poor example of map design. It it rather bland and boring, so how would you go about trying to engage you're player into your map through your map design?Yes there is various eye-candy tricks and techniques, but to a new designer these can be off putting, and even experienced designers can find some of the more advanced eye candy techniques hard to pull off.

This is where this Tutorial comes in, this is a guide for any designer of any skill and is aimed at trying to teach yourself the simple, yet effective way of mixing terrain to produce an effective landscape. I will use various different example to show how easy it is to bring landscapes to life.

Example One: A Country Road.
1. You can see in "Image I" that that road is bland, so how would you go on improving it? Firstly, get a "base" terrain down, this will be the terrain which will be set on the floor so as to make it easier, and more interesting. try to avoid setting "grass 2" as your base terrain for this is one of the blandest terrains. Also add varying heights of elevation to capture the bumps and scars in the natural world. I choose "leaves" as my base terrain, as here is what your map should look like after step one:
Here's what your map should look like

2. It still bland at the moment, but now you have a good base, you can build up the foundations. Seeing as this will be a road you may think "oh, put down some broken road and we done". Partly true. You should now place down some "broken road terrain" in the path you wish it go, but that is not the end. Mix this "road" and "road fungus" to give the effect of a well worn track.
Now the road looks like more real

3. But still, with now have to do the embankments and more of the road it's self. Not many roads running through the countryside are in that good nick! Add the all the dirt set and desert sparingly along the road and embanks to give a worn and weathered feel. Dirt 1 is good on road and often giving the portrail of worn road and track. Dirt 2 is good also for roads and worn land. Dirt 3 and Desert give a more "scrubbed" land feel, which should be using irregularly, yet make the area feel more real.
Your Road should now start to look more realistic

TOP TIP: Always use the "tiny" brush size when drawing terrain

4. Now we can start by placing down vegetation, at first place down trees that you will be unlikely to use, for example place bamboo down first. And remember, when placing down trees, always put it down from the Gaia menu under players, so we do not effect the terrain below
Our road is now coming together

5. Continue to place down trees, but remember to vary the types and make sure the styles do not look out of place. Also we can now start to place more gaia items down like broken carts, craters, skeletons and rocks etc.
It's now looking pretty nice

6. Now soon, just to top it off, continue placing down come eye candy, if you want to use gold mines and other resources, take care to note that you should use the "pile of..." so as to get rid of the outlines when placing down. These can be found in various templates and also found with Enhanced Editor and GeniEd2
You should now have a road to be proud of

That was one example of terrain mixing, but as you know - the Aok Editor can produce a vast array of different styles of land and show ranges of temperature, from freezing tundra to boiling jungles. I will now to continue to show a few more example's of more terrain mixing but in other locations.

Example Two: A secluded beach
Now, in this section this will show terrain mixing when trying to make a beach in the editor. This part of the tutorial will also include terrain mixing for water, varying the water types to produce a realistic sea.

1. For our base terrain, we would use "grass 2" - though normally this is a bad choice, as grass 2 is one of the most blandest terrain textures, it will suit our needs for now to outline the shape of the shore. For the sea base terrain, use whatever water terrain tile that will be of most use. For example, need a cliff you would have deep waters, in man-made docks the water will be deep, but not as much, and by the shore it will be very shallow in comparison.
Use any of the grasses to draw in the land you wish, and add water suitabley. For the meanwhile you are just getting the shape of your beach
Also, if you wish - you should add minor elevation changes, small brushes of "elevation 3" are a good way to show the natural height changes in the land - for it is very rarer to see 100% flat land.

2. Now we will start to add more terrain verities. For start, we could line the coast in "desert" to give the look of a beach, and the further from the beach the less sand there should be. Eventually, we will be aiming for a natural looking beach where the sand fades out. Using "desert" then "dirt 1" then "dirt 2" and finally "grass 3" to show the way a beach slowly ends, going up into sand dunes.
Now we can see the beach clearly marked out
If you look at the screen shot you can see the "desert" terrain has been used as the beach, and then there is "dirt 2" in a narrow band, and on the edges a little bit of "dirt 1" mixed in, remember to always mix in with the tiny brush size. This starts to look like a natural beach, for the sand slowly fades as dirt and grass take over as into goes into the sand dues, which is why terrain has been placed to wards the back of the beach.

3. For the meanwhile, we will forget about the beach and dunes for a minute and turn our eyes back out to sea. Now, just a block of one type of water is unrealistic looking, so we must mix the water "shallow, medium and deep" for these has different shades of blue that allow use to make the sea more animated.
Compared to just blocks of one type of water, this is a huge improvement
When mixing water, remember to use light water closer to the shore and darker shades of water further out to sea to give the idea of depth. To get rid of that shore that always come with placing terrain next to water, you could use "shore less water" which is available in various templates. Another benefit of using shore less water is that it can be used on slopes - useful when making water falls.

4. Back to the shore, we will now start to mix the terrain of the sand dunes. Mixing the 3 dirts and the 3 types of grass will be able to give the feel of either worn land, scrub land or dunes - the possibility are actually endless when mixing grass and dirt, for it just depends on the percentage of each terrain you are using. The more dirt you put it, the more worn the land will seem, the more grass the more it seems like a meadow, etc.
We now has the bases of our beach and dunes
We should now move on to adding the vegetation.

5. Now, depending on what sort of beach you are trying to aim for, different trees will be needed. If you were making a beach in central/northern Europe, it would be a lot of pine and oak. Yet if you were making a beach set in the Pacific ocean you would use palm and jungle trees. Though, an interesting style of beach i think would be one in the rock shores of japan, with bamboo and pine trees and cliffs. Remember the type of vegetation shows the location and setting of your beach, so keep this in mind.
I've decided to use palm and some jungle terrain to give my beach a tropical feel

6. The beach still hasn't taken shape yet - now we should continue to mix the terrain using small brushes to fit in with the vegetation. Use objects from the "gaia" list like rocks improve the look of the area. Like before in the first example, adding "eye-candy" and various gaia objects, different trees and further mixing of your terrain so it fits in with the trees and other items you have placed will finish off the area you are designing

Example Three: Winter
Winter terrain can be some of the hardest to make in the editor, for at first glances, it seems to have a lack of "winter" terrain types. Though there might not be many terrain that features snow, using to terrain mixing with can overcome this lack of winter textures and be able to produce life like winter scenes.

1. As our base terrain we will use "snow", you do not have to always use snow as a base terrain for it depends on the location/temperature/harshness of the winter. If you are doing a scene where you want to display late winter almost nearing the spring thaw, use snow sparling and keep snow to the edges of roads and mix plenty with grass and dirt to give the impression spring is coming. But in this example i will choose to show mid-winter, Jack frost still has yet to have a complete hold on the landscape, this is why i choose snow as a base terrain. Let use place down our base and then think of what we want to show, i say we will do the edge of a forest.

2. Like before, we will add some elevations, but not much, only a few tiny brush strokes to show the subtle grooves in the land, remember to use your discretion when using terrain - terrain can give a scene a totally different feel or location depending on what types and how much you use. Now we add some "snow grass" and some "snow pine" lightly around, so we get a brief overview and potential direction of our edge of a forest winter scene.
Don't go into too much detail at the moment, you are just setting the outline at the time being

3. Now we should start to mix the ground terrain. We can use "snow grass" and "snow dirt", as per usual on tiny brush size, like before use each square sparingly and keep mixing till you are satisfied with the terrain. Remember to keep your final goal in mind, if your want an unspoilt glade, you wouldn't add much dirt into the area - for it would be untouched. Remember to keep your final goal in mind so you Can aim for that and know when you are going off target.
Remeber you can choose the topic, this is just an example of terrain mixing in use

4. Continue to mix the terrain now. Don't be afraid to use terrain like "leaves", "dirt 2" and the grasses - you may think it is winter, but that doesn't mean it has to be all snow. Using tiny brush sizes allows the scene to come alive. This all comes when mixing forests, vary "snow pine" and normal "pine" but use "oak forest" very rarely, for they are not ever-green tree and have no leaves in the winter. The use of the bare trees through the gaia menu add the sense of the coldest and shedding of the leaves and tells us it is winter.
Keep mixing the terrain till you are satisfied

5. Now add various eye candy and finish the vegetation to suit the style and location you are aiming to achieve, remember gaia objects and good use of the different types of trees can bring your location to life.
Keep adding and varying the terrain till you are happy - Voila the finished product

I hope from this tutorial you have learned the basic way terrain mixing can be implemented, yet how important it is to map making.

Tutorial presented by Scud

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 02-25-2007 @ 02:17 PM).]

Replies:
posted 08-14-06 10:34 AM CT (US)     1 / 27  
posted 08-14-06 11:12 AM CT (US)     2 / 27  
A good tutorial Scud! This will really help me alot!

Hellö everywön.
posted 08-14-06 12:03 PM CT (US)     3 / 27  
So here it is I've already said it at SWS, but this is a very good tutorial. Nice Job

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 08-14-06 12:51 PM CT (US)     4 / 27  
Excellent job! I just wish you did one on when Jack Frost has complete control. Thats what I am doing one of my campaigns on.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 08-14-06 01:37 PM CT (US)     5 / 27  

Quote:

I just wish you did one on when Jack Frost has complete control

If you follow the basic principles of mixing terrain, and have an idea in your head, there's no need include a specific example

"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 08-14-2006 @ 01:38 PM).]

posted 08-14-06 03:02 PM CT (US)     6 / 27  
Thats true.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 08-14-06 03:19 PM CT (US)     7 / 27  
Looking better then ever Scud, keep up the good work.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 08-14-06 07:08 PM CT (US)     8 / 27  
I don`t know if you`ve included this, but one of my favorite techniques to use near roads is to edge the road with a terrain type. You can barely notice it unless you look, but it greatly enhances realism. (e.g. ``edge`` a road with dirt 1 along the very edge of the road. It will make a very VERY thin line next to the road that is almost undetectable. But it looks like 15x better than just plopping a road down on terrain.)

/{[[===============================,
||/
|||
\\|
`\\
Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee...
posted 08-14-06 07:38 PM CT (US)     9 / 27  
I don't understand why you would put down flowers if you're trying to represent a mid-winter scene. Otherwise not so bad, but it could use some more details.
posted 08-15-06 05:35 AM CT (US)     10 / 27  

Quote:

I don`t know if you`ve included this, but one of my favorite techniques to use near roads is to edge the road with a terrain type

Yes, i do tend to do that.

Quote:

I don't understand why you would put down flowers if you're trying to represent a mid-winter scene. Otherwise not so bad, but it could use some more details.

The screenshopt are examples, they are not to be followed devoltly

posted 08-15-06 05:49 AM CT (US)     11 / 27  
Excellent, Scud. Well done.

EDITED 'COS Pushfile SUX!

Wait, let's write this more appropriately...

EDITED: Because of Putfile's inability to do what I wanted it to do.

[This message has been edited by Mashek331 (edited 08-15-2006 @ 06:03 AM).]

posted 08-16-06 05:59 AM CT (US)     12 / 27  
Thankyou for all the posistive feedback people.

Glad it could of been some use.

posted 08-16-06 08:22 AM CT (US)     13 / 27  
Great Tuto. Scud

It was of good help in my Cutty Credits coming your way

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
posted 08-16-06 07:20 PM CT (US)     14 / 27  

Quoted from Reaper_93:

``edge``

>_< Why don't you just use "s and 's?

Quoted from radu_2002 - hey that rhymes!:

If you use them very sparingly, it actually looks quite realistic. Also, I think the screenshots were detail enough. Whatever he didn't mention in his text (not much, btw) was in his screenshot.
posted 08-16-06 09:50 PM CT (US)     15 / 27  
Because I have a glitch where anytime I put a quote or apostrophe it makes a slash. (e.g. /) This has become somewhat problematic, but the things on the tilde key look cooler anyway

/{[[===============================,
||/
|||
\\|
`\\
Do not ask for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee...
posted 08-19-06 05:32 PM CT (US)     16 / 27  
In other news, well it is related to this.

I've submitted the article to the Tsuniversity - though i've got to wait for proof-reading and all that stuff to be processed, which could talk a while for alot of the memembers there are busy.

Though, i'll inform you all (with deilght) once it is up

posted 08-19-06 06:55 PM CT (US)     17 / 27  
Mixing Terrain Effectively, and Its* Uses: A Tutorail by Scud

It's not easy being me.
posted 08-19-06 06:58 PM CT (US)     18 / 27  

Quote:

and Its* Uses: A Tutorail

Jesus christ you go on about a tiny ' - and i beleive i am correct, for the uses belond to Terrain mixing, hence the "'" if it where "its" that is equal to "it is" which is grammically incorrect.

Before you lecture somebody - make sure you get it right, Tutorial not "tutorail". ¬_¬

[This message has been edited by Scud (edited 08-19-2006 @ 07:01 PM).]

posted 08-19-06 07:07 PM CT (US)     19 / 27  
EDITED: Nothing bad here, just editing it.

[This message has been edited by Mashek331 (edited 08-19-2006 @ 07:11 PM).]

posted 08-19-06 10:15 PM CT (US)     20 / 27  
Sorry SPrinkZ, but Scud is right, lol

" ' " is used for ownership of something (Johnny's car) (Scud's tutorial), or in use of an abbreviation (It's = It is) ('ello = hello) etc....

posted 08-19-06 11:39 PM CT (US)     21 / 27  

Quote:

I've submitted the article to the Tsuniversity - though i've got to wait for proof-reading and all that stuff to be processed, which could talk a while for alot of the memembers there are busy.

Should've sent it to me. >_>

dannyking.me

posted 08-20-06 08:05 AM CT (US)     22 / 27  

Quote:

Should've sent it to me. >_>

I don't mind waiting.

Quote:

Sorry SPrinkZ, but Scud is right, lol
" ' " is used for ownership of something (Johnny's car) (Scud's tutorial), or in use of an abbreviation (It's = It is) ('ello = hello) etc....

I knew i was

posted 08-20-06 08:26 AM CT (US)     23 / 27  
Don't gloat...

posted 08-20-06 08:41 AM CT (US)     24 / 27  
Actually, the correct form would be "Its uses"...But who cares about a small mistake?

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 09-28-06 03:20 PM CT (US)     25 / 27  
Very nicely detailed, Scud. It reminds me a lot of Cupid's Poisoned Arrows. I used exactly the same detail you described here, however, I am constantly dissatisfied with the terrains, and use a lot of Path4, flower bed, and flowers as well as the mixed terrain to produce my landscapes.

"So do all who live to see such times, but that is not for them to decide. All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you."
-Gandalf
posted 09-28-06 04:30 PM CT (US)     26 / 27  
this helped me on my campaige
posted 09-28-06 05:18 PM CT (US)     27 / 27  
I use nearly the same style like you.Good tutorial!
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Mixing Terrain Effectively And It's Uses: A Tutorial by Scud
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames