You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: A tutorial on how to put the blackness back on the map. Do not ignore.
posted 09-30-06 07:58 AM CT (US)   
Many people have seen people like Ingo van Thiel or Mashek or Skeletar, or even Crasher make the blackness that covers the screen come back over a revealed map area. I am now going to teach you how to do it. Read carefully, this can be confusing if not read carefully.

IMPORTANT: This cannot be used for an anti cheat!!!!! This works best on cut scenes!!!!!

~Beginning Settings~

First: You must have two or three players that have no role in the game at all. Make sure that all these players are allied with each other and that they are neutral with you. In the corner of the map, have a ram. It does not matter what type it is and it can be any player's except for yours or one of their own. Anything else will work fine.

Second: Make a trigger effect 'Task Object' for each players unit to garrison inside the ram. Then surround the ram with cliffs or something that will stop it from moving if it is not on Immobile Units AI.

Third: Make another trigger and make an effect called Research Technology. Set it for Cartography.

~Making the Blackness~

That was the easy part. Now time for the hard part.

First: When you want to reveal a part of the map, you must create a map revealer using triggers. Have an effect which says 'Create Object'. Create a Map Revealer and put it where you want it to go. However, instead of putting Source Player 1, put down one of those special players that do not do anything.

From now on I will refer to those special players as either player: 6, 7, or 8.

Second: So put down Source Player 6 and change diplomacy on both sides. Player 1 allied to Player 6. Player Six allied to Player 1.

Third: When you are ready to change the view and you want to put the blackness back on, all you have to do is just change diplomacy to neutral with Player 6. Have Player 6 become neutral to you.

By doing this, you now can turn the blackness on and off.

Four: If you are going to do a few of these reveal maps you should first use Player 6, then Player 7, then Player 8, and then start back at Player 6 again.

~Finishing Up~

Some people have different methods for this, but I consider this to be the easiest method of them all.

If there are any questions or comments, I would be more than happy to answer them. If there are any more questions that you have, ask away.

~Credits~

I must give credit to Mashek for explaining to me how to do this.

I am NOT asking for credit on thinking this up. I am probably the fiftieth person who has learned how to do this.

You will find this to be very helpful in your Cut-Scenes as you progress in learning how to make better ones.

I am not sure who the first designer of this was, so you can just credit me since I gave you the tutorial.

As it is that probably fewer than fifty people know how to do this, I hope to raise that number into the hundreds.

I hope this tutorial was helpful to you,

¤Dantares IV¤

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 10-19-2007 @ 05:22 PM).]

Replies:
posted 09-30-06 08:05 AM CT (US)     1 / 20  

Quote:

I am probably the seventh person who has learned how to do this.

Probably more like 100th

But it's good to see you helping people in the AoKH community with what you've learnt

Good work.

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
posted 09-30-06 08:47 AM CT (US)     2 / 20  
HUNDRETH!!!!! Lets see here, there is Ingo, Crasher, Mashek, Skeletar, Me, I take it you also,...ummm...ummm...ummm...I can't think of anyone else. Who else?
Thanks for the complement at the end.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 09-30-2006 @ 08:48 AM).]

posted 09-30-06 08:57 AM CT (US)     3 / 20  
Obviously I was exadurationg about the 100 But i'm sure more people know about it...

But nevertheless i'm sure you'll help alot of people with it... Maybe also include examples of Triggers in your Topic Post?

posted 09-30-06 09:20 AM CT (US)     4 / 20  
I, for example, knew that for four years. Heck, more than half of SWGBH knows (most likely thanks to TVS' SOTE cpn). I'm sure more than half of AoKH knows this trick.

But the point is, there's few people who use that kind of trick. I, for example, do not. Many others, for example, do not too. So I think that DR's 100th person is more or less close to truth

Nevertheless, this tutorial does explain how to do the trick, so, yeah, good work.

P.S. At first I thought this thread would be about how to return blackness on map AFTER player one scouted that area

posted 09-30-06 09:20 AM CT (US)     5 / 20  
I figured that out myself about a year ago.
Good job anyways! Nice post.

          L a n c e O L o t
               Member of
       My Downloads | I m p e r i a l C r e a t i o n s
        Contact Mee Sig Version 1.6
posted 09-30-06 10:20 AM CT (US)     6 / 20  
I figured it out when I look through olivers L&T teaser in the editor to see how he did it, and I found out.
But its good that you try, and its good for people who dont know how to do it.
Good work!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 09-30-06 01:41 PM CT (US)     7 / 20  
I am suprised to see that so many people know about it. Well, at least there is info on how to do it if someone has forgot or is new here.
Does anyone know how to make a link to this. I want to have a link to this in my sigature.

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 09-30-2006 @ 01:42 PM).]

posted 09-30-06 02:40 PM CT (US)     8 / 20  

Quote:

Many people have seen people like Ingo van Thiel or Mashek or even Crasher make the blackness that covers the screen

*gasp* You're missing a few.

Quote:

If you want to give credit to someone for thinking this up, give credit to Ingo van Thiel.

I'm pretty sure he wasn't the first.

Quote:

I must give credit to Mashek for explaining to me how to do this.

Guess who explained it to him.

Well, now that you got the easy stuff out of the way, you can start the hard stuff. Good job wanting to share, by the way.

dannyking.me

[This message has been edited by newIdea (edited 09-30-2006 @ 03:31 PM).]

posted 09-30-06 03:18 PM CT (US)     9 / 20  
This is a good idea to help out all those new or who don't know how to do it.
I've been able to do it since I first started to use triggers. Except I don't use say player 6,7 or 8 I just use a player that is far from player 1 and just change there diplomancy.
I think I use to sue it with catography, but map revealers are easier because they show much less space.

The Wall

coming soon
posted 09-30-06 03:29 PM CT (US)     10 / 20  
Dantares, how about posting some images or an example scn?

Take a look to my scenarios:
The Fall of the Caesar[Complete Version]DEMO 4.1/5.0
Siege of Viena 3.0/5.0
Current projects|
no name yet | 10%
posted 09-30-06 08:37 PM CT (US)     11 / 20  
nice explanation, however i consider this a fairly straight forward effect that.
posted 09-30-06 09:45 PM CT (US)     12 / 20  
Dantares, Just copy and paste this into your sig:

{url=http://aok.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/aokcgi/display.cgi?action=ct&f=4,37050,0,10}Toutorial on how to put black on map -Dantares IV{/url}

Just replace the { and }'s with [ and ]'s

Simple

posted 10-01-06 09:38 AM CT (US)     13 / 20  
Thanks very much.

posted 10-01-06 09:56 AM CT (US)     14 / 20  
Wow.
I'm reasonably experienced in scen design, but that is just amazing.
Really cool.
Thanks for sharing!

"I mean, imagine someone screaming 'MAH PANTS' with no pants. Wouldn't that be a truly comical sight?" ---Quaazi
"HOLY CRAP WYO YOU'RE FAT!!!" ---Quaazi
posted 10-01-06 02:11 PM CT (US)     15 / 20  
I new someone would need this tutorial.
Screenshots? What in the blazes would I need screenshots for?

[This message has been edited by Dantares IV (edited 10-01-2006 @ 02:12 PM).]

posted 10-01-06 05:28 PM CT (US)     16 / 20  
Screenshots.... lol, I amagine.

Shot 1: Black Screen - this is what we have in the start
Shot 2: Revealed screen - after changing diplomacy, we can see what other player sees.
Shot 3: Black Screen - we changed the diplomacy again.

Hm... well, yeah, screens would be cool

posted 10-02-06 09:52 PM CT (US)     17 / 20  
Mabe I will eventually. I have been very busy recenty.

posted 10-03-06 07:59 AM CT (US)     18 / 20  
Good tutorial. A job well done.
posted 10-03-06 08:22 AM CT (US)     19 / 20  
I call the trick "Black Hole', anyway D_R is right, you are more like 100th (maybe a little less) person to learn this trick, just coz only like 4 people have shown it on a scenario doesn't mean others don't know, like myself, I know how to do it (Thanks D_R for teaching me :P).

Anyway, well done Dantares it will help people alot, and now they know how they can do Crashers sick ass lightning trick he did on "Immortal Prey" .

[This message has been edited by ByZaN (edited 10-03-2006 @ 08:28 AM).]

posted 10-03-06 09:23 AM CT (US)     20 / 20  
Thanks for the complements and comments everyone.

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » A tutorial on how to put the blackness back on the map. Do not ignore.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames