Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Fabula Fatali.
posted 10-02-08 06:18 AM CT (US)   
Greetings, folks. I'd like to make a project thread, if any of you won't mind.

FABULA FATALI

This tale takes place on Irion, a world located somewhere along the universal perimeter, a world composed of six elements known as "Spheres". These six spheres are divided into three pairs, each comprise with two contrasting elements which act as a inseparable complementary to each other, and control the life cycle and longevity of the world. They are fire and water, nature and air, light and darkness. The balance of these spheres rely on the corresponding six Spherstals, scattered in different locations of the world. These pyramid-shaped, huge crystals are the spheres' source of energy.

However, one day, a new, ancient Spherstal was discovered. It contained the sphere, mana, which could be conduced to manipulate the force of the other six spheres in accordance to the wielder's will. It was learned that this sphere has a distinctive nature from the rest. Mana doesn't have visible substance, it comes in the form of power, with the Spherstal acting as the medium. Secondly, the Spherstal can only be operated by a Lunar Child -- a person who was born in the night when Eluna, the moon of Irion, appears in full form, which only happens once in a thousand years. Irions believed that Eluna itself was a gigantic Spherstal, and the one found in Irion was only a fragment of it. The moon emits a strong magical influence upon the land when it's in a full form, thus a newborn infant would be blessed with the potence to control mana.

To the Irions' surprise, the sphere harbored such an enormous power. Even a shard of the Spherstal could let the wielder manipulate the six spheres in a large extent, such as casting a devastating fire storm or call forth a deluge of water. The unearthing of this precious artifact, though at first was believed to be a substantial breakthrough and could've proven to be beneficial in advancing the people's everyday lives significantly, had been negatively regarded by the Gaia Order, the association which partaking members are the whole nations of Irion, formed to execute the objectives of maintaining peace and stability throughout the land, and being the highest holder of international authority and law.

Thus, the Order decided to seal the Spherstal. The reason for that, was solely because of the sphere's hazardous potential of destruction. The story about the discovery was kept confidential from civilization, in order to prevent unwanted outcomes like war for the sphere's ownership, and to keep it from being misused as a weapon of world domination. Afterwards, the Spherstal was once again buried deep beneath the surface, confined in the remote island where it was found, under heavy surveillance. The Order highly urged everyone who acquired the knowledge regarding the sphere to keep their mouths shut, and to forget its very existence. This decision, however, wasn't mutual to everyone. There have been debates about whether to keep it sealed or put into use, though the opt for the latter demand was never approved.

Many years passed since then, and life in Irion has been normal during that timeline. Fayte Whitveild, son of a royal duke residing within El-Carona kingdom, was abducted by a mysterious band of mercenaries one day while he was out hunting. However, after a few weeks, he returned home, unconscious on the seat of his steed, safe and sound. It turned out he lost nothing but his past memories. People considered him to have been struck by amnesia, after a fierce wound was found on his forehead. It was concluded that he might have put off a struggle and get harmed in the process, but no one has ever knew the purpose of the short-lived abduction, and how he managed to come back in one piece.

This is where you come into the story. Fabula Fatali. The Tale of Fate.

The prologue to this campaign is on the making at the moment, it's currently about 15% completed in terms of environment and triggers. When it's done in hopefully one or two weeks, I'll start calling for playtesters via this thread. Screen shots will be shipped in as I'm progressing. So you all can just let this slip away because now it serves no purpose other than telling you a brief introduction to the story.

Thanks for your attention.

-¤¤- S K Y B I R D . T R I L L -¤¤-

[This message has been edited by Skybird Trill (edited 10-03-2008 @ 06:49 PM).]

Replies:
posted 10-02-08 07:39 AM CT (US)     1 / 20  
I don't know why, but I like it. The story made me interested, even though some people may argue that it is a cliché. I wish you good luck, and hopefully you'll be able to finish it.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama

[This message has been edited by Surge (edited 10-02-2008 @ 07:39 AM).]

posted 10-02-08 07:50 AM CT (US)     2 / 20  
Well, it's not hard to make fantasy themes a cliché, but if supported with a story that is told in a way that's more than vaguely interesting, that cliché-ness might turn into something everybody can love. J.R.R Tolkien pretty much nailed that.

Thanks for the comment, Surge. I appreciate that!

posted 10-02-08 08:41 AM CT (US)     3 / 20  
You're a pretty good writer, Skybird.

I like it so far, and as you said a cliche told in a creative way can be quite interesting.

me
posted 10-02-08 08:46 AM CT (US)     4 / 20  
Some tips on presenting your scenario

Add a small banner ( needn't be fancy )
List the features in the game, ie what style, RPG, FF whatever and what new things we can expect.
A few screenshots
Don't make the story that long. In fact what you posted should be the length of the 'real' story ( ie. in the scenario ), on the forum just give a short summary.
How much percentage completed.

Jatayu O===|¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯/
`
Battle of Saraighat, 1671|Atlantis, the Lost Realm|AOE Roman Modpack|My profile
ि
StormWind Studios
posted 10-02-08 09:21 AM CT (US)     5 / 20  
Fellow forumers, excuse me that I had to drag this topic to the top over and over, but the feedbacks have been so satisfying to me, that I just can't hold back from replying to all the friendly comments I've got.

Impeached, thanks for that warm compliment! I'll most certainly try to extract all the creativity from my brain.

Jatayu, your advices couldn't be any more helpful. I'm going to add a banner as soon as I'm done making maps and taking screen shots (so they can be used as a background for the banner). I'm adding the completion percentage right away, but I'll leave the story alone for now. I could've written a synopsis, but I wouldn't want to risk giving away spoilers! Haha. And as for new things, well, I haven't tried that many custom campaigns from this site, so I still can't state whether my campaign features innovations or not until I can clarify that it hasn't been done before. Thanks!

I'm so excited to know that the people here are all hospitable and friendly to newcomers. Unlike some other community forums where the most common reactions a newbie could get in his first thread would either be getting flamed or ignored.

[This message has been edited by Skybird Trill (edited 10-02-2008 @ 09:35 AM).]

posted 10-02-08 10:05 AM CT (US)     6 / 20  
Great storyline.

If your designskills are nearly as good as your writingskills this will be fantastic .
posted 10-02-08 11:03 AM CT (US)     7 / 20  
Sounds pretty good. Good luck with it.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 10-02-08 01:20 PM CT (US)     8 / 20  
The only problem I'm going to have with this is that 'Landia' in my dictionary is a country invented by my younger sister many years ago where only kids live and occasionaly take the elevator to the capitol that's located in space.

But the story itself seems very interesting, I'm really looking forward to seeing this

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 10-02-08 05:27 PM CT (US)     9 / 20  
The story sounds good so far. Good luck!

◓◓◓◓◓
posted 10-02-08 06:12 PM CT (US)     10 / 20  
Amazing story, cant wait to play it!

H U N N I C ~ P A L A D I N
HP is a very nice guy who'd rather be polite and nod his head in agreement to other people's opinions, than act tough and bluntly. -Andanu Trisatya
posted 10-02-08 06:31 PM CT (US)     11 / 20  
Dead_End, you can't expect it to be a top-of-the-world design, but it won't be disappointing as well. Let's just say that I'm going to try my best even though this is my first experience. Thanks!

Julius999, Jimmy2 and Hunnic Paladin, thank you very much. Glad to know my story is likable!

Lord Basse, it's no secret to everyone that adding an "-ia" in the back of any worldly thing you can point out, is a good way to make it sounds cooler. "Worldia", "Computeria", or even "Garbagia". Haha. Well, since your sister has already patented that name, and Impeached stated in another thread that those kind of names are being overused, I decided to alter it. Thanks for the information, by the way.

posted 10-03-08 01:30 AM CT (US)     12 / 20  
May I advise that you compleate the terrain before the triggers..?...

That way you know all your crashing problems are trigger related and not map related, this makes hunting down problems easier.
posted 10-03-08 04:27 AM CT (US)     13 / 20  
I like the story, although "Spherstals" sounds kinda weird. As soon as you can, please post screenies, I kinda like this project ;]

Cilibinarii
My AOK Maps
posted 10-03-08 10:23 AM CT (US)     14 / 20  
Lord Basse, it's no secret to everyone that adding an "-ia" in the back of any worldly thing you can point out, is a good way to make it sounds cooler. "Worldia", "Computeria", or even "Garbagia".
Haha, indeed, it's very practical!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 10-03-08 06:48 PM CT (US)     15 / 20  
Jas the Mace1, thanks for the hint, but care to explain how would the map itself has the capability to affect a scenario with crashing problems? It ain't news to me that triggers are the main source of bugs, but... map?

Cilibinarii, for certain, I will post screen shots as soon as I'm done making significant progress concerning map design. The "Spherstals" will remain that way though, because that's the term I came up with on my own and I'm proud of it, and besides, weirdness as we all know is the middle name of fantasy stories, haha.

Lord Basse, indeed, it's very practical and quite effective, though it gets rusty with ease if overused!

posted 10-04-08 03:35 AM CT (US)     16 / 20  
Yes map. Sometimes changing terrain or buildings(repeatedly or not) causes a crash. Solution...Save often!
posted 10-04-08 07:34 AM CT (US)     17 / 20  
Off-topic: It's funny how in this thread, Google ads advertises links such "Sexual Abuse" and "Child molestation"...

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
posted 10-04-08 07:50 AM CT (US)     18 / 20  
I get "Want to quit your job?"

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
posted 10-04-08 07:57 AM CT (US)     19 / 20  
Mine say stuff about Fengshui, crystals and computerpasswords
posted 10-04-08 01:06 PM CT (US)     20 / 20  
Molestation news and

Sexual abuse?

Anyway, Skybird, if you want to keep the name, okay ;] Dont let me influence you too much. I have bad breath.

Its good to hear you wont forget the screenies aswell, keep up the good work and good luck with your project

Cilibinarii
My AOK Maps
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Fabula Fatali.
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames