Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Unknown 31: added map protection
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-29-11 00:46 AM CT (US)   
IMPORTANT this is useful for preventing people from touching effects/conditions that would normally reset on touch, don't be so quick to judge.

want to add some added protection to your map with very minimal effort?

Step 1: download Aokts with addon

Step 2: Make a trigger like this

trigger0 starts OFF
effect0: Unknown (31) target player 1

And there you have it, will crash game if trigger goes off, and will crash editor upon clicking the trigger tab whether the trigger is on or off. Only use of this is map protection really.

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Nixck (edited 08-05-2011 @ 05:34 AM).]

Replies:
posted 07-29-11 01:21 AM CT (US)     1 / 42  
Things like this, and hiding your triggers are really dumb. All it does is limit maps that could be made. I always name my triggers right, and add in descriptions so that people can view my triggers and learn how to do things if they wish. Honestly what are you trying to protect by doing this? Killing off scenario design..

"i keep my female villagers either garrisoned in the town center or pickin' berries where they belong"
posted 07-29-11 01:50 AM CT (US)     2 / 42  
There are a lot of people on the net that pass off the works of other designers as their own.

[This message has been edited by Watson (edited 11-03-2011 @ 10:41 AM).]

posted 07-29-11 04:32 AM CT (US)     3 / 42  
Anyone who wants to will just go into Trigger Studio and remove that trigger. Totally pointless.

If someone plagiarises your scenario, and submits it to the blacksmith, just post a comment saying it's plagiarised.
posted 07-29-11 04:43 AM CT (US)     4 / 42  
But on things like Gameranger it's not so easy to tell everyone... You don't want all your effort to be wasted when someone adds 1 trigger with 'Change object name' and they alter the description a bit.
posted 07-29-11 05:08 AM CT (US)     5 / 42  
@Pong676, it's just 1 effect that u can put anywhere, finding a randomly placing a unknown 31 effect in a scenario would be like a needle in a hay stack. And one thing i'm concerned about is someone looking at the triggers on my map, they reset, then the person hosts the map online with faulty triggers, this would help to prevent that from happening.

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Nixck (edited 07-29-2011 @ 05:09 AM).]

posted 07-29-11 07:13 AM CT (US)     6 / 42  
But there is sure something called trial and error which anyone might use to find out that trigger though it is a pin in a haystack...but anyway thanks for sharing this map protection.
Also i have this habit of checking the triggers of many maps... to just learn from them.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
()()()()()()DRACONIANDEVIL()()()()()()
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
posted 07-29-11 11:19 AM CT (US)     7 / 42  
Nice discovery, though most "map stealers" use TS, so they'll easily find the effect and delete it
posted 07-29-11 11:24 AM CT (US)     8 / 42  
Unless you burn the triggers.
posted 07-29-11 11:25 AM CT (US)     9 / 42  
That won't prevent them
posted 07-29-11 05:42 PM CT (US)     10 / 42  
people that would go through the effort of stealing your work can still do it. People simply trying to learn triggers are just going to get discouraged if every map they open crashes when they try to load triggers. I know that I learned a lot by trail and error, but some more advanced things I could only learn by viewing triggers to build up my knowledge until I could figure things out for myself. I think it comes down to your personal pride of your map, and the fear of someone taking it away from you. Personally I don't attach myself to virtual things. I'm not saying that I'm not an aok fan, I'm one of the biggest, I just try to not let it affect my personal life in a negative way.

"i keep my female villagers either garrisoned in the town center or pickin' berries where they belong"
posted 07-29-11 05:52 PM CT (US)     11 / 42  
I usually have some info written in the first trigger of a scenario with some contact info like my mailadress or GR account nickname.

It's still sad that people actually try to claim scenarios as their own if they didn't do anything on the map at all
posted 07-29-11 08:18 PM CT (US)     12 / 42  
I'm not for or against map protection, I too learned a lot from looking at other peoples maps. This is just something I discovered a while ago, take it or leave it.

helloworld
posted 07-29-11 10:04 PM CT (US)     13 / 42  
Actually, you can circumvent this pretty easily with Trigger Script Editor:

http://aok.heavengames.com/blacksmith/showfile.php?fileid=10278

Just export the scenario to a text file, then search for "Unknown" in the file and delete the trigger.

That should work as long as TSE displays the effect type correctly.

_______
|Warlord|
Owner of post 12345 in the New Splash Splash
Member of Blackforest Studios
posted 07-29-11 10:30 PM CT (US)     14 / 42  
It's still sad that people actually try to claim scenarios as their own if they didn't do anything on the map at all
*Cough* Snake TD *Cough*
posted 07-30-11 00:34 AM CT (US)     15 / 42  
hope you get banned again.

posted 07-30-11 05:43 AM CT (US)     16 / 42  
Most people don't know of TSE, luckily
posted 07-30-11 02:38 PM CT (US)     17 / 42  

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
posted 07-31-11 05:11 AM CT (US)     18 / 42  

There's no place I can be, since I found Serenity.

Stop playing so erotic, dammit! - theferret
Well, that's like wanting to get raped by a nine-inch dick instead of a ten-inch. - Moff
I was being stupid. - Herr
posted 07-31-11 06:46 PM CT (US)     19 / 42  
hope you get banned again

"Xeno is clearly the evil Chuck Norris reincarnate" - Major Helper
"Honestly, I thought Nick Clegg was a classmate of Dom's" - Mozzarella Man
"HIS POOR GRAMMAR MAKES SENSE NOW, HE IS AN ELEPHANT" - Ashrzr
"sometimes, I get that paranoid feeling that someone knows I'm watching them" - Rotaretilbo
"I have no intention of confirming or denying whether or not I have or do masturbate" - Rotaretilbo
posted 07-31-11 07:32 PM CT (US)     20 / 42  
Who are you guys talking to?

helloworld
posted 07-31-11 07:41 PM CT (US)     21 / 42  
stroke, he's annoying..

posted 08-01-11 04:13 AM CT (US)     22 / 42  
He playtested Basse's snake TD map and claimed it was his own...
posted 08-01-11 04:56 AM CT (US)     23 / 42  
Actually no, it was in beta state and I accidentally played it in public.
posted 08-01-11 04:58 AM CT (US)     24 / 42  
Slap an unknown 31 + trigger burn on your map when you have people beta test it next time?

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Nixck (edited 08-01-2011 @ 03:42 PM).]

posted 08-01-11 05:41 AM CT (US)     25 / 42  
Stroke, we both know you're lying. Snake TD isn't my only map that got stolen though
posted 08-01-11 03:45 PM CT (US)     26 / 42  
PS @ donnieboy's first post, i'm HARDLY killing off scenario design, That actually offends me considering I can make scenarios so advanced you couldn't even attempt to comprehend, trust that i've been doing this longer then you. if more people could understand my double negative effect system and how it unveils new, before unfathomable tricks in aoktc they would realize its more innovative then 90% of the stuff on here

I help the forum perform new feats in aok with my discoveries and yet get shot down? Sounds like killing off the person who helps designers don't you agree?
Jeez, I liked this forum A LOT more back in '06.

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Nixck (edited 08-01-2011 @ 04:43 PM).]

posted 08-01-11 05:23 PM CT (US)     27 / 42  
yeah it was an over exaggeration, but still my point stays the same, it's a bad move if you're looking to promote scenario designers, good move if you're looking after your self interests and pride of work.

posted 08-01-11 05:28 PM CT (US)     28 / 42  
With that, this pretty much is only for people who take extreme pride in their map or beta testing i guess but I think people are taking this too seriously, all it does is crash the game ..?

EDIT, now i remember why i found this useful a while ago, dumb me.. but most of my maps have 50% of the effects/conditions reset on touch so i can just put in this effect and prevent that entirely

helloworld

[This message has been edited by Nixck (edited 08-01-2011 @ 05:37 PM).]

posted 08-02-11 02:17 AM CT (US)     29 / 42  
To me, this feature seems like putting permanent locks on the doors and windows of a house. They're quite useful, but a determined thief will find ways to break in. If you want your scenario to be protected from any thieves like a safe, then it's a great step. If you want people to be able to learn from your scenario like a museum, then don't use it. I personally fit into the latter camp, but I find this useful nonetheless.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´

[This message has been edited by Leif Ericson (edited 08-02-2011 @ 02:22 AM).]

posted 08-02-11 03:00 AM CT (US)     30 / 42  
I've tried doing your double-negative thing in Aokts. But whenever I try and save the map it just crashes, do you have to use the one with the add-on or am I going about it wrong?
posted 08-02-11 10:50 AM CT (US)     31 / 42  
I would need a little more explanation alevo, maybe send a private message?

helloworld
posted 08-02-11 11:13 AM CT (US)     32 / 42  
That's about it really...
I'll make an arrow in editor, go into aokts and change it to an archer then when I try and save it just crashes :/
posted 08-02-11 01:44 PM CT (US)     33 / 42  
PS @ donnieboy's first post, i'm HARDLY killing off scenario design, That actually offends me considering I can make scenarios so advanced you couldn't even attempt to comprehend, trust that i've been doing this longer then you. if more people could understand my double negative effect system and how it unveils new, before unfathomable tricks in aoktc they would realize its more innovative then 90% of the stuff on here

I help the forum perform new feats in aok with my discoveries and yet get shot down? Sounds like killing off the person who helps designers don't you agree?
Jeez, I liked this forum A LOT more back in '06.
This struck me as an arrogant and conceited, two characteristics which are not admirable. If it's just a matter of language lost in translation, ok. However, if it really was meant as it came across then get over yourself; you're a guppy in a fishbowl.

As for the trigger, I find it unnecessary really. If you don't want anyone to copy your scenario triggers or maps, don't release them for others to use. However, if you're vain and feel the need to have others see and praise your work, just remember that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. If they claim them as their own, see the above comment about guppies in a fishbowl.

[This message has been edited by prof1515 (edited 08-02-2011 @ 01:45 PM).]

posted 08-02-11 04:18 PM CT (US)     34 / 42  
@prof1515: You have no idea how it feels to "lose" a map to someone completely random person. You did all the hard work, spend hours to design the map and even more hours to trigger it, and then someone steals it from you. Saying it's all his work and that you are just a lier. It ain't that fun, trust me
posted 08-02-11 05:05 PM CT (US)     35 / 42  
@alevo that might be a problem with aokts and not the double negative effect, i would download the aokts with addon as it might help. If it doesn't it might be your comp

helloworld
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Unknown 31: added map protection
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames