Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project: Lepanto- 1571 AD
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 12-09-12 01:57 PM CT (US)   
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

DOWNLOAD TEASER NOW!

Context:

The year is 1571, and all of Europe is in peril. The Ottoman Empire continues its war on Christendom with recent offensives against the Venetian city of Famagusta, the island of Malta controlled by the Knights of St. John, and the Kingdom of Hungary. The staunch defense of Hungary by the armies of Christendom has held back the flood of Turks swarming towards the heart of Europe...for now.

While the Turkish armies on the mainland regroup, their massive navy bombards Cyprus, meaning to "deprive the Venetians of an arm" as Mehmed Sokollu put it. Turkish galleys ferry hundreds of troops to Cyprus and Malta, preparing for vast amphibious assaults. If these lands are captured by the Turks, the doorway will be open for naval incursions into Western Europe.

The news of these offensives, part of a two-pronged pincer movement made by the Ottomans, quickly reaches Rome, where the Pope is alarmed by the imminent danger to his holy dominion. Knowing that only a united Europe has any hope of defeating the Ottoman scourge, Pius V summons leaders of all European lands to meet in Rome and discuss this threat. Numerous representatives flock to Vatican City to discuss the threat, although the Pope is most interested in those from militarily able lands. As the battles rage in the Mediterranean and the Balkans, the Pope charges the military representatives of Genoa, Savoy, Aragon, Austria, Venice, and Rome with raising an army and confronting the Ottoman threat.

It is up to you to fulfill the destiny of these men and gather a strong enough force to defeat the Ottomans at Lepanto.

General Information

Originally planned to be my entry to the ESRC12, I have been designing this scenario on and off since June. The idea morphed from a Fixed Force naval battle (a la MCrnigoj) to a comprehensive scenario that covers the historical background of this greatest medieval naval clash. Historical accuracy, always important, plays a large role in this scenario, as minute details and "behind the scenes" action is explored.

In this scenario, you will travel all over the Mediterranean completing several varied minor objectives and recruiting support from the area. Lots of historical information can be garnered from this campaign, while enjoyment is also top priority. Indeed, there is something for everyone in this scenario, except for hardcore B&D.

Scenario Features

-One long scenario, with multiple playable characters and choices, all affecting the final battle.
-Designed on a Giant map so as to fit the maximum amount of land and gameplay features.
-Emphasis on all spheres of gameplay: Map design, story, balance, playability, historical accuracy, and creativity spread throughout the scenario. It is unlikely that many parts will be at all similar.
-Although mostly RPG, there are many other styles: Fixed Force, Defend the Spot, RPS, and a new take on naval battles.
-Fitting music for the period and different aspects of the scenario.

Screenshots

-> An amphibious assault
-> Fortress
-> Waterfall
-> A small port
-> Ravaged countryside
-> A central town square
-> A Venetian bastion on the Adriatic
-> Chiesa di Santa Maria Assunta
-> The Venetian colony of Durazzo
-> Coastal countryside
-> Aragonese merchants established a smithy whose architectural style stands in stark contrast with that of the locals.
-> Venetian galleases lie in harbor (more water mixing will be done, just it's one of the last things I do when designing)
-> An Ottoman army prepares for battle
-> Bonus: Peaceful afternoon at a cliffside castle (a CSC entry turned addition to this scenario!)

Designing Progress

Map Design: ~99%
Sound, Bitmap, AI: ~70%
Story/Script: ~70%
Triggers: ~40% (estimated total of 1000 or more)

Overall: ~70%

Playtesting

If you're interested in playtesting, then please say so and I will add you to the list and contact you when I am in need of it!

My email: hockeysam@me.com

HockeySam18

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 08-06-2014 @ 05:38 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-30-13 10:03 AM CT (US)     36 / 53  
Well, the story is not really centered on the Ottomans, but more about the Christian powers in the Mediterranean. I'm sure you can get a better understanding of the story if you read the OP of this thread and play the teaser (which is indeed the first part of the scenario).

As for plan changes, there haven't really been many (or any). I've plotted the story out pretty well, with 3 main storylines in the RPG and possibly even more endings. Now I've got to buckle down and do the triggering

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 12-30-13 11:25 PM CT (US)     37 / 53  
I know you're tired of hearing it, but those screenies look damn good. Reminds me of Julius' minimalist style of map design, which is always a good thing.

/\NDANU "WHORACLE" TRISATY/\
~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~~¤~
Member of StormWind Studios & BlackForest Studios

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
posted 12-31-13 02:17 AM CT (US)     38 / 53  
One can never get tired of gracious praise, especially from a fine designer such as yourself! This sort of feedback is what keeps a designer going, and being compared to a great such as Julius is also a challenge to maintain said standard- one which I accept! Cheers Andan

I seem to have grown into a phase of designing where I like many things to be green. I love the look of green forests with a little embellishment of gaia objects on the edges, and meadows with the grass terrains mixed in a subtle way. I've always thought that good design depends on a great deal of entropy so as to mimic realistic natural scenes, but spice a bit of order in there and you get a different and novel effect- just like in real nature and cities, every once in a while there's something that stands out as not quite so unplanned, or rather spontaneous.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-31-13 03:07 AM CT (US)     39 / 53  
Yeah, we've got that thing in common. I tend to get crazy trying to make every single thing green, even in big cities, which hurts the realism level. The problem is, I just can't let every single corner of my map not having trees, that my design have always been criticized for being too green.

Still, you can't deny the fact that every terrain and building look more pleasing to the eye when they're spruced up with trees.

-:|:- Blacksmith Files -:|:- Fabula Fatali -:|:- Photography -:|:- Age of Kings Heaven -:|:-
posted 12-31-13 08:26 AM CT (US)     40 / 53  
Great use of varying terrain both in elevation and different grass/desert types!

Hey where in Philly are you from, HockeySam?

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 12-31-2013 @ 08:27 AM).]

posted 12-31-13 09:08 AM CT (US)     41 / 53  
that my design have always been criticized for being too green.
you and Mashek, Mr. Green and Mr. White
posted 12-31-13 09:41 AM CT (US)     42 / 53  
Yeah, we've got that thing in common. I tend to get crazy trying to make every single thing green, even in big cities, which hurts the realism level. The problem is, I just can't let every single corner of my map not having trees, that my design have always been criticized for being too green.

Still, you can't deny the fact that every terrain and building look more pleasing to the eye when they're spruced up with trees.
Indeed. And rocks and bushes!
Great use of varying terrain both in elevation and different grass/desert types!

Hey where in Philly are you from, HockeySam?
Thanks! I'm actually from the suburbs just outside the city. You?

I posted another topic for this, but I'm currently having an issue with sound files. Any chance one of you fine chaps has a solution?
Never mind, I was able to fix it!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 12-31-2013 @ 09:54 AM).]

posted 12-31-13 09:48 AM CT (US)     43 / 53  
I'm a city boy. I've lived in East Mt. Airy, Frankford, and North Philadelphia. I'm down in North Carolina right now though.
posted 01-01-14 04:21 AM CT (US)     44 / 53  
With the Ottomans understanding. Okay.
posted 01-01-14 07:26 PM CT (US)     45 / 53  
you and Mashek, Mr. Green and Mr. White
Hmm, that has a ring to it, like I'm an environmental activist or something like that.

posted 01-05-14 01:53 AM CT (US)     46 / 53  
Cool theme!!!
posted 08-06-14 03:48 PM CT (US)     47 / 53  
Okay, back with some new updates (finally).

Map design is at 99% - anything else I'll do will be cleaning up and tiny tweaks. Much of the map is my work from around 2 years ago, which at times leaves a little to be desired, but in favor of finishing the scenario sometime this decade I've decided not to totally overhaul my old design. Come on, it's not that bad

Design tweaks aside, onto some of the cooler stuff- more screenies:

-> Venetian galleases lie in harbor (more water mixing will be done, just it's one of the last things I do when designing)
-> An Ottoman army prepares for battle

Triggering is progressing healthily, despite my having run into a couple random crashes (though they're all solved now, *knock on wood* ). I'd say a fair 40%. I'm working with 3 different playable storylines here, so I want to do my best to make them all as unique as possible, despite being set on the same map.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 08-06-14 05:36 PM CT (US)     48 / 53  
Also, a bonus screenshot, since I just designed it for the CSC but decided that I wanted it in this scenario:

-> Peaceful afternoon at a cliffside castle

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 08-06-14 08:36 PM CT (US)     49 / 53  
Great to see some updates for this project!

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
´ `  |_\
       |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
______|______
 \        /
   .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
  `-=<.__.>=-´
posted 08-07-14 09:39 AM CT (US)     50 / 53  
Thanks Leif- 7 months since the last update was far too long as it is

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 08-24-14 08:02 PM CT (US)     51 / 53  
One portion of the RPG is all but finished. Once it's polished I'll send that part out for playtesting.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 01-30-15 02:23 PM CT (US)     52 / 53  
i like very much the types of maps and campaigns you design, hockeysam. also i would like that you might consider also my point of view in which the player does not uses villagers, so he must be very carefull with his soldiers. even if this meens a little more work, or better said a more attentive look, be sure it would be a succes, and maybe also in a next scenario or campaign. all this comes from an early age, sometime in '98 when i was playing the demo of age 1 and i succeeded and rescuing all soldiers from death by playing only with the monk...
i played all your maps, i believe, and they were a huge delight!
posted 01-30-15 02:45 PM CT (US)     53 / 53  
Thanks, DJeronimo!

This scenario is actually entirely FF and RPG, though I've halted work on it for at least the short term due to working on Merchant and the RP project. I'll take your ideas into consideration when I continue working on this, though!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Lepanto- 1571 AD
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames