You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Eternal War Beta 2 - Playtesters needed!
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
posted 04-05-04 03:28 PM CT (US)   
Darn, tried to reply to the old thread, but it had expired so I have do it in this new thread... Ahem...
UPDATED! 04-05-04
The old thread (witch I updated before I realized I couldn’t reply to it) can be found here.

It’s been a while since my last post here, and I guess most of you have forgotten this scenario and me… Anyway, I’m here now, and I have an update of this scenario that needs play testing. The scenario is still not finished but it can now be played from the beginning to the end… well I hope so. There is still a lot to do, like talking to people, side quests, shops and one of the endings.

If you want to play test, and I mean playTEST, not just say that you take a look at it and then just forget to say what you thought about it… well, if you are serious and want to playtest then just leave your e-mail and tell me if you want the scenario with (2,99 MB) or without (366 kb) music.

Eternal War
a fantasy scenario by Cespenar
A story of war, hate and love.

Rovgard, the capital of Udia has been under siege for some months now. It is only a matter of time before the walls are breached and the Ardinon troops rush in, burning and killing everything in their path to the castle where King Ariam of Udia hides. Almost two months ago, he sent General Taran to get reinforcements from the south, a journey that would normally take a few weeks at most. Now they have been waiting for two months. The citizens of Rovgard believe Taran is dead, that their only hope of rescue from the besieging army is gone. But King Ariam still believes that Taran will arrive in time and save them from the evil Ardinon troops. But no one knows about the dark figure that lurks in the shadows. Watching, waiting, for the right moment...

Characters
Taran – The main character, an Udian general with a hot temperament. He always attack, the odds doesn’t matter. Swords, not words!
Milly – Tarans wife, friendly, doesn’t like violence like her husband Taran do.
King Ariam of Udia – He will never surrender.
Laurin – Tarans sister, not as aggressive as her brother.
Mollis – Tarans best friend and advisor. They have always known each other.
King Halorak of Ardinon – The king of Ardinon
And many more not so important and very important characters…

Features in Beta 1
Play as six different units. Different unit, same story. Two handed swordsman, Teutonic knight, huskarl, halberdier, samurai, berserk.
Insanely detailed map design.
Too much dialogue.
A mix of RPG and FF.
A weird and dark storyline. May not be the best storyline ever... But I hope it's fun to play.
Music from Baldur's Gate I and II
No mercy.
Side quests (three in Beta 2)
Two different endings. (In Beta 2 only one of the endings is complete, the other one is just half done.)
Maybe a level up system, using stone as experience points. Probably not…

New Features in Beta 2 (04-05-04)
A healing system. You can now heal Taran at any time as long as you have health berries or health potions.
Four new joinable NPC’s, three optional and one plot related.
Over three hours of game time. (I just hope it’s three fun hours)
Fixed spelling and grammar errors. (Thanks to Mechstra)
Sneak your way through enemy camps. Maybe not as good as it sounds… really I don’t know, maybe it is. Whatever.
Lame humour…
Improved map design in some parts...
Rest at an Inn, upgrade armour and buy a transport ship and health potions. There will be at least one more Inn and a few more shops in the final version.
Two new non-plot related side quests. More to come…

Trigger count: 1584

- Cespenar

Replies:
posted 04-14-04 10:15 AM CT (US)     36 / 112  
Cespenar: Very good music!!! I just love it.

...···.. Lord Exar ..···...
...···.. Proud Member of DGDN..···...
...···.. Designer of The Battle of the Green Edge ..···...
...···.. ..···...
...···.. ..···...
©
posted 04-14-04 11:53 AM CT (US)     37 / 112  
I bought the whole Baldur's Gate series some years ago. It was a truly fun game, good story.

teensatoshi@hotmail.com

No music of course.

To be honest, the only thing that led me to playtesting this is because of the 1,500 triggers you claim to have. ^_^

1UP Blog
posted 04-14-04 12:15 PM CT (US)     38 / 112  
Satosh1,
Check your email.

Exar,
Yeah, I love it to.

Cespenar
"The world is such a horrible place. I'm glad I live in my own."
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-14-04 01:08 PM CT (US)     39 / 112  
Yeah, I believe one of my first pieces of advice in Beta 1 was to play the music more often.
posted 04-14-04 01:58 PM CT (US)     40 / 112  
I found a grammar error..I am playing as the two handed swordsman. Its after the first battle when talking with the prince he says:

when I leaved. Or, something along those lines, it should be "left". The battle in the city is hard but all I did was retreat onto the bridge ..archers are protected from getting sliced up, though I had to fight a ltittle bit in the city..I lost when the prince died :'(. It is very enjoyable..I really want the music, where can i get an email that isn't restricted by space..? Any help!?!

posted 04-14-04 02:03 PM CT (US)     41 / 112  
Crap - a grammar error that slipped through my net!

I use www.lycos.co.uk for my email, and I have a 10 mb limit - I imagine the US version of Lycos has a similar system.

posted 04-14-04 02:07 PM CT (US)     42 / 112  
Thanks Mechstra..who said I was from the U.S? . I from Ireland..hmm...once I get an e-mail set up there Cespenar I will tell you..then I can get that music! I am guessing that it includes sound files aswell, no wonder the campaign seemed so quiet. Also..a cavalier is named SIr Cespenar..fix the "i".

Edit:wildcarddow@lycos.co.uk

[This message has been edited by WildCardDoW (edited 04-14-2004 @ 02:14 PM).]

posted 04-14-04 02:46 PM CT (US)     43 / 112  
Sorry about my absense... *SPOILER* I can't figure how to get to the prison, as there is no apparent way to reach it... Also, where is the mage who turned the girl to stone?

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 04-14-04 03:08 PM CT (US)     44 / 112  
Mechstra,
The main theme is now played for the most part of the scenario after the get-back-home part. But I think I will add some more of the short battle music for one of those meetings with you-know-who...
Oh, and if you want, I have more work for you, some sidequest and NPC dialogue that needs to be corrected.

WildCardDow
Hmm... I thought I fixed the “i”, well, seems like I didn’t. And I will fix the other errors.
Actually there are no other sound files... yet, but I'm sending the music right now.

DarckRedd,
*SPOILER*
Ok, first get to the ship that you used earlier (or buy a new), then unload somewhere safe and just go towards the revealed parts on the map. Once there, get into a boat.
The mage can be found on the north side of the river. Near the shipbuilder. Explore!
*SPOILER*
What unit are you using, and do you have any optional NPC’s with you?

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-14-04 03:29 PM CT (US)     45 / 112  
Sure, Cespenar, I can do more grammar work - if you still trust me after the 'leaved' incident.

And WildCard, I'm sorry - I was just assuming. A large number of people at this site are Americans.

posted 04-14-04 03:47 PM CT (US)     46 / 112  
I guess I’ll give you one more chance. But it is your last, one mistake and I will turn you to stone! Yes, I think you’ll make a fine statue next to Mirae...
It may take some time before I send it, but it will probably come in a few days.

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-14-04 05:16 PM CT (US)     47 / 112  
Okay, I'm fine with that - as long as I'm not [SPOILER]ed by [SPOILER] in his quest to [SPOILER] all [SPOILER].
posted 04-14-04 05:43 PM CT (US)     48 / 112  
I am using the Samuri unit, and no optional NPC's are with me.

| D A R C K R C D D |
posted 04-14-04 05:56 PM CT (US)     49 / 112  
Here is the trigger map, I may have to fix it but I think it's right.

Leave the trigger that activates the healing alone for now.

Trigger:1 (Healing one)
Condition: Your time
Effect0: healing
Effect1: healing
Effect2: healing
Effect3: task brain unit to ice circle
Effect4: Activate trigger2

(STARTING STATE OFF)
(LOOPING)
Trigger:2
Condition: Timer (5 seconds)
Effect: Activate trigger3

(OFF)
(LOOPING)
Trigger:3
Condition: Objects in area (PLAYER # THE BRAIN UNIT BELONGS TO, VALUE IS 0, AREA IS THE BRAIN PATCH OF ICE.
Effect: activate trigger1

___________Zero___________
I only wish I had wit.
posted 04-15-04 01:23 PM CT (US)     50 / 112  
I think you'd need an effect in triggers 2 and 3 that deactivate themselves, too.
posted 04-15-04 02:52 PM CT (US)     51 / 112  
Thanks, I will try those triggers as soon as I get the time…

Quote:

Okay, I'm fine with that - as long as I'm not ed by in his quest to all .

Ah, why didn’t I think of that! But [SPOILER] your eyeballs in the [SPOILER] of [SPOILER] when he is [SPOILER]ed by [SPOILER] could be even more fun.

Have anyone found/used the NPC’s?
Note that there will be more and harder enemies if you bring NPC’s with you, but I think it will still be easier than going alone with just the plot related characters... at this moment.

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-15-04 03:30 PM CT (US)     52 / 112  
I've played about halfway now, and I haven't found any bugs - but there's the odd spelling error in the objectives and the like. Very enjoyable, and I'm desperate to see the remainder - and I haven't got any extra characters yet, just the plot-central ones.
posted 04-15-04 06:17 PM CT (US)     53 / 112  
Uhh in the second battle, my tactic is to go back to the bridge and draw them in. This works but theres one problem after Mollis is killed, then the Prince...I still have all the men..I think it may be because my men are outside the effect to make them into the Rovgard, or your supposed to keep them . Anyway..its a really enjoyable map, though by accident I rejected Arthir's request, ..then I died attacking the camp, I can't seem to find the "health bushes."Other than those mentioned no major mistakes, besides a few grammar errors.
posted 04-15-04 11:32 PM CT (US)     54 / 112  
Not a bad campaign -- it could well be the Blacksun of 2004. The only problem is, the storyline is almost completely identicle to the one in my campaign!

One bug. I was playing as a Halberdier, and during the liberation of Siran (or whatever the village's name was) I was a bit confused as to how I was meant to escape from the enemy army crossing the bridge. In desperation, I ran my unit past the foemen on the bridge, and escaped to the south with the whole army chasing me. I eventually found myself in a clearing, with an Aztec Temple, a Monk, and various other units. Was I supposed to escape to there?

posted 04-16-04 10:00 AM CT (US)     55 / 112  
WildCard,
Eh, no, you’re not supposed to have any soldiers after the battle of Salir. The health bushes can be a little hard to find, look for the small cactuses. There is one to the northeast of Rovgard, another on the Salir island and one in the north forest. And a few others here and there.

Fadawah,
Yeah, “Blacksun of 2004”, I like that!
But are you sure your storyline is like mine, did you play anymore after you escaped the village? After the village battle the story is not so focused on the war and as it is in the beginning, it’s more RPG and less FF. And no, you’re not supposed to escape to the south, I’ll have to fix that. Try escaping to the east instead.
The Aztec temple is part of a not yet finished side quest.

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-16-04 10:46 AM CT (US)     56 / 112  
Well, I still have the army..so I guess in a way I found a bug. So you'll have to fix that. I have them right off the bridge, and some units change: the first time a few archers did, the next just one knight. So far thats the only bug I found. But are you able to buy weapons in this? Because...

[SPOILER]

You sister says you should stock up after your wife, Milly is taken.

[/SPOILER]

posted 04-16-04 12:16 PM CT (US)     57 / 112  

Quote:

But are you able to buy weapons in this?

Not in this version, the only thing you can buy in the city is health potions. But you can upgrade your armour later on (not in the city).

Hmm... Maybe we should whisper spoilers... just a thought...

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-16-04 12:47 PM CT (US)     58 / 112  
Fadawah, I sincerely doubt your storyline is identical to Cespenar's - if so, then you've stumbled on the coincidence of the year. Your story is safe.
posted 04-16-04 01:44 PM CT (US)     59 / 112  
call me stupid or whatever but I still

[SPOILER?]

can't get off the island after that f*g blows up thw wrong bridge how to do that? god i can't figure it out

[/SPOILER?]

¯¨´*·~-.¸ SgtSlaughter ¸,.-~*´¨¯
posted 04-16-04 10:05 PM CT (US)     60 / 112  
Wait, cespenar, do you say i'm supposed to lose at the second battle(the fishing town)?

--
Best regards

Balazs
posted 04-17-04 00:50 AM CT (US)     61 / 112  
posted 04-17-04 05:51 AM CT (US)     62 / 112  
Slaughter,
Go to the east...

And yes, you should lose, in a way… Just defend yourself until there is no more enemies left to fight and then you will lose.
It was over a year ago I made the triggers for that battle and I have learnt much since then. Had I done the triggers for the battle today it may have looked different.

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-18-04 10:06 PM CT (US)     63 / 112  
AAAAAARRRRGH! MORE BUGS!

One of them was the same was DR reported. If you leave some units behind just before you enter Salir, they don't change ownership. You can then just move them into Salir just before Gandrosh blows up the bridge, thus giving you some free soldiers to help you on your quest.

I found two more while I was trying to return to Rovgard. I wandered along the path directly to the east, and suddenly some text messages appeared on the screen talking about how someone called Laurin had to steal a boat to get into the prison.

I restarted from an earlier saved version, and went down the southeastern path. I then found a traveller who was getting attacked by Ardinions. I killed them all and some text messages appeared asking Laurin if he would be allowed to join our band.

Something tells me I wasn't supposed to go to those spots yet...

This last one isn't a bug, but it is a rather serious issue that could tell against a review. Namely, you should make your objectives a bit clearer. I was completely lost trying to return to Rovgard, I didn't have a clue as to which way to go. Try including a walkthrough text file in the full version.

posted 04-19-04 09:50 AM CT (US)     64 / 112  
Ah, you shouldn’t cross that bridge. What I meant by saying, "go to the east" was to go directly to the east while you are still on the island. I have fixed those bugs now, both the-remaining-units-bug, and the killed-by-enemies-while-looptasked-to-talk-to-Gandrosh-bug. I have also made it impossible to go over the southern bridge, and Taran is also tasked to the east when you should escape.

I tried to fix the save/load heal bug, but it didn’t work, so I added another way to heal. Just click the "lone wall piece" at the beginning, it’s a little time consuming and annoying but at least it works after a restart.

And I have been thinking of including a walkthrough file.

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-19-04 02:42 PM CT (US)     65 / 112  
Sorry for not "reporting in" but since most of the problems I saw in your scenario have been discussed already, it'll probably take more time for me to find some, even of the rare ones.

1UP Blog
posted 04-25-04 06:41 PM CT (US)     66 / 112  
Top…

I think I have fixed all of the bugs mentioned here so far and lots of smaller bugs no one found. You can now also talk to... or rather, listen to what people in Rovgard have to say, over thirty new dialogues.
Sorry for not being very active here, but I have a lot to do and not much time for this. So however.... I’m still waiting for more feedback. Thank you in advance.

Trigger count: 1655

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-25-04 07:13 PM CT (US)     67 / 112  
Cespenar,

Send me the next, updated version please! Thanks!

mastergamer130@yahoo.com

___________Zero___________
I only wish I had wit.
posted 04-26-04 12:01 PM CT (US)     68 / 112  
Ditto. I found a bug, its when the witch attacks. Arthir changes aswell on me. . Of course thats just be cause he was to close, I guess.

Also Magnum Zero, when Unstoppable Scourge is updated please send it to me.

posted 04-26-04 12:45 PM CT (US)     69 / 112  
I have fixed the witch bug, it happend to me to, but for me it was Taran that changed owner and then killed Laurin. But that should work now. And I have added three more triggers.

I'm sending the file to you two right now.

Cespenar
Heroes of Meadowkeep
posted 04-26-04 11:50 PM CT (US)     70 / 112  
OK,I feel anxious to play it . Send it to me at adamwitulski@yahoo.com
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Eternal War Beta 2 - Playtesters needed!
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames