Please login or register

Scenario Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, Mr Wednesday

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: NowhereT has been playing with bridges
posted 11-15-11 04:19 PM CT (US)   
Bridges have always bugged me a little bit in the AoK editor. They don't look great, but more importantly, they don't act like bridges! If you ask me, bridges should allow land units over them and boats under them - but in AoK they act like a physical barrier to boats. (I think this is to do with the terrain properties hard-coded in the game engine, but don't quote me on that.)

Anyway, I got thinking about the old walkable water trick (mainly thanks to the wave tutorial by Alexandergreat3). I've already had success with making islands appear in the middle of lakes (try it, it's a nice effect) so I knew that you could change the appearance of the terrains in-game (to walkable water or desert using bridge middles or ends) but not the properties of the terrain. Not particularly useful, because neither walkable water nor desert is passable to ships. I also made a scenario which gave the physical appearance of ice breaking, sending units plummeting into a watery grave - again through use of a trigger-created bridge section.

Then I realised... Shallows are passable to boats as well as land units. So, after a bit of a play, I made this little gem of a tutorial which converts a "bridge" made out of shallows into what appears to be normal water (and nobody will know different if you ensure they can't walk land units onto that particular patch of water) and then replaces it with the bona fide stone bridge that we've all come to know and loathe.

Hopefully this is a new trick (I haven't seen it anywhere before) and hopefully someone will find a use for it!

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
Most Missed Forummer (FotY-2012)

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 11-18-2011 @ 11:32 AM).]

Replies:
posted 11-15-11 05:41 PM CT (US)     1 / 31  
=D I made a tutorial on how to do this but never uploaded it unto the blacksmith. Villagers are able to build the bridge with the place foundation effect. The only downside is that you are able to unload units on the water with transport ships.
posted 11-15-11 05:44 PM CT (US)     2 / 31  
Yeah I thought someone else would probably have figured out how to do it The game treats anything that starts as shallows the same way throughout, regardless of any visual changes (to water and then to a bridge) but it's still useful IMO

Forummer of the Year, All in All Winner, Nicest Forummer, The Sebastien-Barbarossa Medal (FotY-2011)
posted 11-16-11 09:04 AM CT (US)     3 / 31  
*reads title*
NowhereT has been playing with bridges
*thinks* Oh no!

However, nice post, ill be sure to take a look at the scenario and the tutorial

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 11-16-11 09:19 AM CT (US)     4 / 31  
A bit more detail would give you a place in the university.

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
()()()()()()DRACONIANDEVIL()()()()()()
()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
posted 11-16-11 09:46 AM CT (US)     5 / 31  
*reads title*
NowhereT has been playing with bridges
*thinks* Oh no!
That was what I was thinking. "Quick, get the ambulances and trauma-helicopter!"

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 11-16-11 11:30 AM CT (US)     6 / 31  
Didn't see that you edited this post and also submitted my tutorial. I'll ask for it to be cancelled.
posted 11-16-11 02:42 PM CT (US)     7 / 31  
Is this trick just to make it so ships can pass over bridges? Or have you somehow found a way to make terrain properties change?
posted 11-16-11 02:51 PM CT (US)     8 / 31  
WTF Den Cekke?! I haven't used anyone else's work, I made this myself in about an hour!

If you're certain (i.e. can prove) you invented this trick I'll designate it "yours" although I explicitly stated that while it may have been done before I haven't seen it anywhere. You yourself said you never uploaded it to the blacksmith:

=D I made a tutorial on how to do this but never uploaded it unto the blacksmith. Villagers are able to build the bridge with the place foundation effect. The only downside is that you are able to unload units on the water with transport ships.

QFT

Download the file, deconstruct it tile by tile, trigger by trigger. Ask a mod to check the edit history of this thread. But don't call me a liar without evidence. You yourself must surely know this scenario is original and made by me; it'd be a real coincidence if two people created exactly the same map, word for word and tile for tile.

Stupid post 1 of 3 due to a misunderstanding and a grumpy NowhereT.
----------------------------------

@Draco - You think? I always fancied gettign an article in the university but didn't think I'd find anything worth writing about! Any mods who see this (perhaps while checking the edit history..!) - would this (with a bit of work) warrant a place? I could expand it to include other effects like hole in iced lakes, appearing/disappearing islands but these have probably been done before.

@Rambit - This trick doesn't change terrain properties, just their appearance.

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 11-16-2011 @ 04:32 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 02:59 PM CT (US)     9 / 31  
Double posting because you might end up claiming I stole something else of yours if I edit my last post...

If, Den Cekke, you're trying to claim my work as your own then you're in for one hell of an argument; anyone who knows me on this forum will be able to tell it's my work - same style of scenario design in the far left corner, same penchant for coloured text, even the same love of semicolons! In order to pass off somebody else's work as my own so thoroughly would involve more effort than actually starting from scratch.

I am happy to let you claim this trick as your own if you can unequivocally prove you discovered it first - the whole "credit" thing never really bothered me. But accusing me of lying and plagiarising somebody else's ideas is enough to p*ss me right off.

@Everyone else, sorry if this seems a bit OTT; bad day in general and this on top just adds to the stress.

Also, grammar nazi moment: I meant "getting" in the earlier post. I'd also probably stick another couple of commas in the second sentence.

Stupid post 2 of 3.

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 11-16-2011 @ 04:33 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 03:02 PM CT (US)     10 / 31  
Sod it, why not triple post.

This is a list of den cekke's blacksmith uploads. I haven't looked at them in detail, but none of them looks like a tutorial on the same topic.

Stupid post 3 of 3. Trying to reasonable from now on

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 11-16-2011 @ 04:33 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 03:11 PM CT (US)     11 / 31  
NowhereT, calm down, I don't think den Cekke was accusing you. Granted, his post was ambiguous but I think it means he was uploading something similar to the blacksmith and was meaning to cancel it.

At least that's what I gather. Maybe I understand it better because both of us aren't native speakers :P
posted 11-16-11 03:17 PM CT (US)     12 / 31  
Perhaps... It seems accusatory to me s'all. If there's one thing I hate it's being accused of lying so you're right, I probably did overreact.

Den Cekke, if you could clarify what you meant that would be helpful. You've seemed like a good bloke in the past (I followed your real world map thread diligently and you seemed generally pleasant) so I hope I've just misunderstood you.

PS Panel I wouldn't have guessed you weren't a native English speaker!

posted 11-16-11 03:24 PM CT (US)     13 / 31  
Panel I wouldn't have guessed you weren't a native English speaker!
gee, thanks

Well I'm kind of constrained to use English a lot in real life at the moment (even with my gf :P ) so that would explain it.
posted 11-16-11 03:30 PM CT (US)     14 / 31  
(even with my gf )
English girls are the best (Don't let mine hear that, she's only half!)

posted 11-16-11 03:37 PM CT (US)     15 / 31  
mine's Indonesian, but she's spent quite a few years in Nottingham
posted 11-16-11 03:48 PM CT (US)     16 / 31  
I think there is a misunderstanding. I'm not trying to claim anything, certainly not claim I was the first one who found out about this trick. I don't really understand why you take it so personally and certainly didn't expect this response. My post was only to state I had found out the same trick, I've never thought of aok editor stuff to be able to be claimed. In fact I thought this trick already had been used before.

"But don't call me a liar without evidence. You yourself must surely know this scenario is original and made by me; it'd be a real coincidence if two people created exactly the same map, word for word and tile for tile."
I can't recall calling you a liar and I even never have seen your scenario. The scenario I made is 100% unique and does not contain any content that I didn't come up with or didn't make myself. If you think I would steal someone's map and claim it to be mine I must say you are wrong. I would never do such a thing.
I do admit it was a mistake of me to upload the map now. I read your post and saw you found a trick that's pretty similar to the one I had found but didn't see you were making/or did make a tutorial for it. Maybe I should have read the topic more thoroughly(I often just skim texts). I probably missed it so I just figured I would upload it.

"I am happy to let you claim this trick as your own if you can unequivocally prove you discovered it first - the whole "credit" thing never really bothered me. But accusing me of lying and plagiarising somebody else's ideas is enough to p*ss me right off."
I feel the same way about crediting and I am really not accusing you of lying or plagiarism. How could you as it's impossible that you would have heard of this trick from me. Isn't it possible we both stumbled upon the same trick? After all the possibilities in the vanilla editor are quite limited.
Just to say I don't wanna feel obliged to prove anything as I hope my word and integrity will do.

I will as I said withdraw my upload.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 11-16-2011 @ 04:05 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 04:00 PM CT (US)     17 / 31  
Whoah.

I agree with Panel. His original post just sounded like he'll cancel his upload. I don't think there were any claims that you stole his work or anything confrontational at all in his post.

Though I can see where that thought would have stemmed from.

[This message has been edited by Tetsuo Shima (edited 11-16-2011 @ 04:03 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 04:01 PM CT (US)     18 / 31  
"I didn't see that you edited the topic and in the meanwhile I submitted my tutorial as well. I'll ask for my upload to be cancelled."
This is what I actually meant.
"Den Cekke, if you could clarify what you meant that would be helpful. You've seemed like a good bloke in the past (I followed your real world map thread diligently and you seemed generally pleasant) so I hope I've just misunderstood you."
Thank you, I hope the previous post will clear the air.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 11-16-2011 @ 04:08 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 04:09 PM CT (US)     19 / 31  
Cheers Den Cekke, sorry for the confusion I have a habit of totally going overboard on some things! Like I say, bad day overall which has shortened my temper but this is no excuse really.

posted 11-16-11 04:16 PM CT (US)     20 / 31  
all is well that ends well. you guys could actually confront your tutorials, (I'm sure both of them have good points), and submit a collaboration using both your ideas.

(i guess since the PbP I'm pretty optimistic about collaborations :P)
posted 11-16-11 04:36 PM CT (US)     21 / 31  
What a heated discussion. Not only over a misunderstanding, but over freaking bridges...

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 11-16-11 04:39 PM CT (US)     22 / 31  
The bridges thing is actually entirely irrelevant, as is the concept of credit and all that - I hate being called a liar and mistakenly thought that's what Den Cekke was doing. Edited posts now to show I was being a wally

posted 11-16-11 04:52 PM CT (US)     23 / 31  
posted 11-16-11 04:53 PM CT (US)     24 / 31  
It's true Better now though

posted 11-16-11 06:26 PM CT (US)     25 / 31  
Don't worry about it NowhereT. These things happen. And I wouldn't mind collaborating as panel proposed.

[This message has been edited by den cekke (edited 11-16-2011 @ 06:28 PM).]

posted 11-16-11 06:37 PM CT (US)     26 / 31  
Collaborating could be cool, but I'm not sure how much there is to this really... The uses I've found are:

-Making bridges which can be created and used in game which are sailable and walkable (as in OP)

-Making a hole appear in ice/flooding a patch of ground (this is a very slight tweak to the wave trick mentioned in the OP and I've seen it implemented here)

-Making islands appear/disappear (this is pretty sweet and if you use shallows then there's hardly any way of knowing the "island" exists until you reveal it you *could* stumble across it by unloading a transport ship) Trees/rocks/units can be added by triggers so it's relatively easy to make a small desert island which looks perfectly interesting.

-A "drought" could be suggested by creating and removing bridge ends over grass, turning it into desert sand. I also thought about drying out a patch of quick sand (I used paths to look like mud) with this method but I think you could probably just remove the paths instead to reveal any terrain.

Anything else you can think of that's worth adding? It's a pretty small set of effects tbh but some of them are quite nice.

posted 11-17-11 03:02 AM CT (US)     27 / 31  
The bridge trick is the only one I used. And it still has some bugs. Like when you want to build the bridge piece by piece you have to make sure the villager can't go over the water in between foundations, villagers can walk on the bridge foundations and people can unload transport ships on the created shallow water.
I like the other idea's too. The one with the ice cracking was used in one of EarlDave's unpublished scenario's.
posted 11-18-11 10:37 AM CT (US)     28 / 31  
Yo.

Den Cekke I saw your tutorial, it's almost exactly the same trick (except you used foundations to show it being built where I was more fussed about the looks of the trick) - crazy that after ten years, two separate tutorials get uploaded on consecutive days!

Like Draco suggested, I might try writing an article about these little effects - you say you've seen the falling through ice one before - do you have the blacksmith link? That way I can say it was seen there first. I'll add your bit about building foundations because for some scenarios that would be a useful addition.

@All: My tutorial is now available for download (as is Den Cekke's!) - they're pretty much the same but download at least one of them because this is a cool effect!

EDIT: I've drafted an article for the university. Den Cekke particularly, I'd like for you to read it to see if you think it's fair in terms of what I've attributed to you, but everyone else should definitely read it too and hint heavily to the mods that it deserves a place in the university

[This message has been edited by NowhereT (edited 11-18-2011 @ 11:40 AM).]

posted 11-18-11 12:48 PM CT (US)     29 / 31  
and hint heavily to the mods
*nudge* *nudge*
posted 11-18-11 03:37 PM CT (US)     30 / 31  
Sounds good. Nice job nowhere. I'll certainly look at the university article. The ice cracking trick was used in DaveEarl's nineteen years. A modded campaign. It never got released though but I play tested it a couple of years ago.
posted 11-18-11 03:48 PM CT (US)     31 / 31  
Ah cool, that's probably part of the reason I'd never seen it before

Part of the appeal of these tricks is that they don't require modding

Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » NowhereT has been playing with bridges
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames