Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Byzantine buildings - help getting in game
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 8  Next Page »
posted 08-08-15 10:40 PM CT (US)   
Multiplayer compatibility with AOEHD - an appeal to the community and HD developers
I am sure many in the community are aware that due to the limitations of the current game data, a mod such as this cannot be properly integrated with AOEHD without dat. modding (so that it only affects the Byzantines), which is worthless for multiplayer purposes. As someone who plays multiplayer exclusively, this is a great disappointment!

So I repeat here my request to any in the community that are interested in seeing this change to keep raising it with the HD devs whenever you get the chance. If enough people get behind the push, then they may finally fix the mistakes (or more likely cost cutting) made by Ensemble back when they released AOK.

Mod status: Jan 2018, on hold.

[This message has been edited by Warsmithy (edited 07-19-2018 @ 05:15 AM).]

Replies:
posted 10-26-15 01:10 PM CT (US)     36 / 283  
Salut Grii ! Le nouveau AGE permet de voir les graphiques en temps réel donc dans l'onglet graphique, tu copies un graphique de bâtiment en feu, dans les delta graphiques ajoute celui de ton bâtiment, et là tu vas voir ton bâtiment avec les flammes mal placées, et tu peux facilement ajuster la position des deltas graphiques des flammes pour qu'elles soient au bon endroit. Après supprime juste le delta graphique de ton bâtiment et voilà tu as ton graphique de flammes bien adaptée à ton bâtiment.

Hi Grii ! The new AGE handles graphics preview, so you can just copy a damage graphic, add your building in the delta graphic so you can see your building with the flames, correct the position of the flames. Finally delete the delta graphic of your building and it's done.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 10-27-15 03:41 AM CT (US)     37 / 283  
Merci beaucoup Trirem =)

Thanks a lot Trirem =(

My viking building set: here!
My legionary: here!
posted 10-31-15 07:50 AM CT (US)     38 / 283  
@Tomcelmic - on the topic of the walls. I have been working on them - they are just the most fiddly set I have done so far. Hard to get the alignments correct!

Here is progress so far, as you can see there are some rough edges:

@Trirem, thanks for your offer! I have some ideas floating around for a nomadic building set (Huns, Mongols), so I think I should actually take up your offer to learn how to mod the Byzantine data myself - if you have time for this? then I can apply the same process to other civs.

[This message has been edited by Warsmithy (edited 10-31-2015 @ 08:05 AM).]

posted 10-31-15 08:16 AM CT (US)     39 / 283  
The wall look not too bad. I think it just need small correction at Anchor between Wall and Wall Tower.

posted 10-31-15 02:35 PM CT (US)     40 / 283  
Yes. These are great walls. There's a unique "taste" about them, it's a great addition. Congrats!
posted 10-31-15 04:57 PM CT (US)     41 / 283  
I have a few university articles on modding tutorials in mind, one of them conerning building graphics so I'll probably start with this one, expect it to be ready in a week or so

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 11-01-15 12:25 PM CT (US)     42 / 283  
@ Trirem
Nice Idea it would really help me!

My viking building set: here!
My legionary: here!
posted 11-02-15 04:15 AM CT (US)     43 / 283  
Your work is really good ! If your are looking for more inspiration check the links below :

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?652821-AMAZING!-Reconstructions-of-CONSTANTINOPLE

http://www.byzantium1200.com/contents.html

I hope this can help you!
posted 11-04-15 10:33 PM CT (US)     44 / 283  
@TriRem, thanks very much for putting your time in to prepare this guide for us. Hopefully, with AOK:AK making it easier to mod individual building sets - there will be alot of similar projects opened up.

@Mayotte, those links are both very cool, particularly the first one.

If you look on the first post of the thread (which I updated), you will see I have now made a 3rd unique house variant based on this image

Disclaimer: Above image is not my own - refer to img url for the artist who owns the work.
posted 11-05-15 07:03 AM CT (US)     45 / 283  
Just posting to say this mod is awesome.

Once there is compatibility with Steam so that I can play with everyone else in Multiplayer, I'm going to get it ASAP.

I felt the Middle-Eastern set was ok-ish for the Byzantines, but not great, especially for the Mosque which I thought wasn't good for them at all. Your set takes the parts which are good for the Byz set, and makes them moreso, and gets rid of the Mosque.

As a side note, would you ever consider making an alternate sail for ships for the Byzantines? Atm they have the same as the other ME, which is the sails with the crossed swords.

Thanks, and well done.

[This message has been edited by El Daddy (edited 11-05-2015 @ 09:32 AM).]

posted 11-05-15 08:22 AM CT (US)     46 / 283  
@ El Daddy, thanks, glad you like progress so far.

On the sails for the navy - its a bit of a tricky one, as none of the existing sets are really any more appropriate for Byzantines, and my understanding is that it would be a very considerable undertaking to generate a totally new graphic of acceptable quality (given the sails are animated - the number of frames is huge). It can really only be achieved by 3D modelling, which is outside my ability.

I think the lateen rig (triangular sails) on the ME set is probably the best approximation, given that recreations of the Byzantine galleys or dromons universally carry this rig.

Ideally, we would have a lateen rig - with the Byzantine eagle motif as shown below, but I do not have the know how to make this unfortunately.

If anyone does, I would be very happy to have a joint project.

[This message has been edited by Warsmithy (edited 11-05-2015 @ 08:29 AM).]

posted 11-05-15 09:33 AM CT (US)     47 / 283  
Wow, that looks great. Very ambitious. I hope it works out!
posted 11-05-15 04:13 PM CT (US)     48 / 283  
Fantastic quality - some of the very best cut/paste buildings I have seen.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 11-08-15 11:23 AM CT (US)     49 / 283  
I like the new house ! But if i can give you my point of view for the imperial age you should added more "roman columns", "status",roman arch or byzantin cupola on your buildings. In order to show the rich and the splendours of Constantinople.
posted 11-08-15 12:48 PM CT (US)     50 / 283  
Looks real nice so far. I think you could make a combination of the in-game Italian, Saracen and current byzantine architecture sets for it. If you do post it on Steam, please let me know too
posted 11-14-15 08:58 AM CT (US)     51 / 283  
@Mayotte88 - As it happens, I do agree with you somewhat - some of the key buildings could use a bit more 'splendour'.

Here is the revised castle age TC I have worked on, which you will note has a stronger Roman influence.

The other two key 'public buildings' (market and University) will get a similar makeover for castle age - mainly the brighter stone work, and some more use of marble in there. I think for the houses and military/industry buildings, the dirty utilitarian look is appropriate - so no changes planned there.
posted 11-15-15 03:31 AM CT (US)     52 / 283  
Looks like you snuck a Corinthian column in there.

Maybe make the supports for the wings of the TC columns as well? Just throwing an idea out there.

[This message has been edited by chiruscan (edited 11-15-2015 @ 03:33 AM).]

posted 11-17-15 07:48 AM CT (US)     53 / 283  
Wow... this is just awesome!!!

And if it's available for only the Byzantines on all Steam-HD versions... that would be epicly mind-blowing!! I'm a great fan!

I could be wrong, but it seems like you've done all this work independendly of the Byzantine set in this mod:

And that's just a great, well even more admirable! Thank you so much! :3
posted 11-17-15 03:53 PM CT (US)     54 / 283  
AoFE 3.1 is a fun idea, but I don't think the models for the buildings are anywhere near as good a standard as this mod, or the Indian set by Tzontli.
posted 11-18-15 02:12 PM CT (US)     55 / 283  
Awesome project Warsmithy! Go on! The buildings are very well designed, they give a fascinating feel... you caught the real byzantium essence
posted 11-21-15 06:34 AM CT (US)     56 / 283  
This looks very mixed in that there are different civ building sets combined (Italian roofs, middle eastern bases and some alpha and beta objects) and it would mix very well with more Italian and Slav architecture like bleached stone and cream coloured thatch roofing in feudal. Other than those minor design implements I think you have done very well so far.
posted 11-29-15 05:29 AM CT (US)     57 / 283  
Bit of an update, I have being working on a new design for the castle - to take them further away from the look of the ME building set.

Let me know your thoughts on this guys, the second image is to show the comparative scale/mass against the existing castles.

posted 11-29-15 06:06 AM CT (US)     58 / 283  
This is really really good! Congrats! Are you going to make imperial age buildings too?

[This message has been edited by Tomcelmic (edited 11-29-2015 @ 06:12 AM).]

posted 11-29-15 06:14 AM CT (US)     59 / 283  
Great work, this is a very impressive set. You're visibly improving at creating these graphics! I would suggest spicing up the castle's keep platform a little, for example by adding things such as braziers or barrels and at least adding a door under the arches on top of the keep. Finally, there is a little closed off balcony hanging off the left side of the keep. I would suggest lowering that a little so that it aligns with the floor level of the keep platform.

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 11-29-15 06:32 AM CT (US)     60 / 283  
I really like the design of the new castle. One thing I would say, is that the stark right angle of the corner of the building is a bit of a contrast compared to existing castles.

Would it be possible to round it off a little, or is that an intended feature of Byzantine architecture and indicative of how they were historically?
posted 11-29-15 01:16 PM CT (US)     61 / 283  
Castle looks amazing Warsmithy.

Hard to believe you created these buildings with cut n paste methods.

I really like how you incorporated the Roman arch and columns in these buildings.

Have you thought about tweaking the color any more?

Also, is there any special way to add buildings like these to the HD edition or just add the slps then use AGE to point them to the civs?

[This message has been edited by chiruscan (edited 12-05-2015 @ 01:34 AM).]

posted 12-05-15 09:43 PM CT (US)     62 / 283  
Thanks guys, glad you like the castle (it took some time!)

New version of the market below with a bit more Rome/triumph-ism to it. Let me know what you think - maybe I have taken it too far.

@Chiruscan - I have started going through those buildings I have made so far and tweaking the stone to be slightly brighter. If you look on the picture below, the walls, docks and university have not been done, while other buildings have. I don't want to take it too much further, because to be honest I find the Italian building set slight over saturated - not the look I am going for.

@Kor, agree on the castle I will be adding some eye candy to the terrace and tweaking some of the proportions a bit.

@El Daddy, the hard right angle is more down to the limitations of my method(cut and paste) than any intent. I see what you mean, but for now I am not sure how to soften it within my capabilities.

@Tomcemlic- Imperial age is definitely on the cards, I just want to round out castle first. As for fuedal age, I dont really have a concept in my mind for how to make that look - if anyone wants to get involved with working on a feudal set I would be very happy to collaborate.

In addition, this building is a bit overdue. The castle age mill is now ready, using the overshot wheel from the EA building set. The whel animation is also working correctly! It needs a bit of tweaking, but its close.

As I mentioned above, my reading suggests that wind mills were much less common in Byzantine territories than the more ancient water mills or manual (ie. horse powered) mills.

[This message has been edited by Warsmithy (edited 12-06-2015 @ 06:50 AM).]

posted 12-06-15 03:58 AM CT (US)     63 / 283  
That Italian Feudal Build set on steam could be used for the Byzantine's Feudal Set

Creator of AoM Expanded Mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1828492742) and Mod on AoEWiki (Morayus1)
posted 12-06-15 05:16 AM CT (US)     64 / 283  
Yeah I was thinking just slighlty tweaking the color to make it more dissimilar to the Middle Eastern default set.

Another thing that popped in my head while looking at your castle was perhaps the dome on it could be colored black to match the domes on the monastery and wonder? What do you think?

Also I like the triumphal arch on the market place. But I think the gap in the left wall should perhaps be closed if you use the arch?

[This message has been edited by chiruscan (edited 12-06-2015 @ 01:34 PM).]

posted 12-06-15 06:05 AM CT (US)     65 / 283  
Continued great work. I can see what you're saying about the castle and the right angles. Maybe if someone wanted to give you a hand with it they could, I don't know anything about modding.

The new market is pretty cool too, I like the arch. Could the pillar be reduced in height a little bit, perhaps by removing one of the segments? It seems to stick out a tad too much, IMO.

[This message has been edited by El Daddy (edited 12-06-2015 @ 06:05 AM).]

posted 12-06-15 08:00 AM CT (US)     66 / 283  
Actually, I'm not very fan of the arch in the market, seems like it's out of place, like if the market had been build from ancient ruins nearby. And I think the "trajanish" column should be placed on the right side of the market, like this, it would not hide the facade. That's just my opinion though, if many people like this market, then it's probably better to keep it. Otherwise, it's good to know that you're gonna do the imperial set as well!

Edit: the mill is really cool! I always prefered water mills.

[This message has been edited by Tomcelmic (edited 12-06-2015 @ 08:02 AM).]

posted 12-12-15 10:27 PM CT (US)     67 / 283  
I had originally meant to start work on the Imperial Age set next, but I got some ideas for the flavour of the feudal set, so I have started on that.

Barracks and watchtower below. As you can see, strong Roman influences but utilitarian, like a frontier city.

I'm going to keep pushing on with feudal age whilst I have to ideas flowing, so Imperial will be on hold.

@ Tomcelmic - I'm still thinking over the arch. I will leave it in for now, and reassess in a little while. It would be good to get a broader range of opinions for the building set as a whole, so I may start posting some of this on Steam for feedback. I will see what consensus is.
posted 12-14-15 03:55 PM CT (US)     68 / 283  
Beautiful as always ! I specially like how the Roman influence is shown in your buildings, you really feel the evolution of the architectural style.

I realize I had promised you my help with making your set unique to the Byzantine civ over a month ago, I hope I'll have my article finished by the end of the week (although I'm terrible with deadlines ).

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 12-14-15 04:34 PM CT (US)     69 / 283  
That Barracks and tower are awesome.

Hope you reconsider with the arch/pillar in the market, that's the only possible qualm I could have.
posted 12-18-15 05:08 AM CT (US)     70 / 283  
The results are awesome. Keep up the good work!

You've made me realise what was wrong with my feudal Italian set. I'll get back to it soon.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 4 ··· 8  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Byzantine buildings - help getting in game
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames