Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Writing Competition '13
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
posted 12-01-13 10:36 PM CT (US)   
RESULTS:

The scores are as follows:

total / technical proficiency / content (respectively)

CarolKarine

Lord Basse: 46/21/25
RedHandedJill: 42/20/22
Bart: 35/20/15

HockeySam

Lord Basse: 47/22/25
RedHandedJill: 47/24/23
Bart: 43/23/20

Popeychops

Lord Basse: 42/22/20
RedHandedJill: 44/21/23
Bart: 26/17/9

Totals:

Lord Basse: 135 points out of 150 possible.
RedHandedJill: 133 points out of 150 possible.
Bart: 104 points out of 150 possible.

Introduction:

Winter by now is in full swing. Now that the lanscape is [should be] now decked in snow, my mind often wanders back to occasions years past, of memories with family and friends. And, if your weather is similar to mine, the cold keeps you blockaded inside with almost nothing to do except to sit in front of a computer with your thoughts for company.

We here at Age of Kings Heaven have manufactured a solution to your boredom. This Christmas day, Age of Kings Heaven is hosting a Writing Competition for all you creative writers out there. What better way to spend your day(s) off than to let your imagination run free!

Whether you prefer prose or poetry, realism or fantasy, modern or historical, dramatic or humorous, we accept them all. So, this is the perfect opportunity for all of you budding storytellers to flex your writing muscles and exercise your creative side, for there is a prize involved. Interested? Read below:

The winner will receive the grand prize of a Custom Title, which he or she may choose freely!

Rules:

What's a competition without rules? Despite your groaning, feast your eyes over these rules below, because you don't want to write a 175 page novel and realize it won't be accepted.

Your entry must not exceed 6,000 words – if you get up to 6002, you can probably find a sentence to rephrase.

This is a competition for all sorts of fiction; short stories, prose, poetry or screenplays, anything fictional will be accepted. However, articles, essays and so forth will not be accepted.

Your entry must be sent in before January 25st. which means any time during or before January 24th. Please email me your entries at Jeremy.T.Mote@gmail.com

Once you have sent your entry, you will have no chance to edit it further – make sure you’re happy with it before you send it in.

Your entry must be your own work and yours entirely – no team entries, no cooperation between two writers, etc. etc. However, you can use pre-existing backgrounds for your story, as long as the story itself is original (for example the realm of Middle Earth, but don’t go copying and pasting the story of Lord of the Rings)

Judging:

The competition has two judges who will give a maximum of 50 points to each story; up to 25 for Technical Proficiency, and up to 25 for Literary Content. The judges are forummers CarolKarine (host of the competition) Hockeysam and Popey.

For "Technical Proficiency" the main areas that will be judged will be how well your entry is structured, the literary technique displayed, the use of language for effect, characterization, thematic development and others. You will be marked down for spelling and grammatical errors (unless of course it is used as colloquialism during dialogue), so be sure to check your entries thoroughly for any errors.

"Literary Content" will be the content of the entry itself, and to be blunt - did the judges like it? Was your entry satisfying, was the plot developed, or was the dialogue wooden with the characters lifeless? It may be good writing a well thought out and technical piece of prose, but if it isn't interesting to the judges you are shooting yourself in the foot.

Now that you know what to do and what to expect, it's time to let the creative juices flow! Good luck and have fun writing!

I copied this bit from last year. actually, I copied all of it and then edited it.

entrants: (tenuous)

1. DementoKing
2. Arnas
3. Moff
4. Ax
5. RHJ
6. L_B
7. The Gingerdead Man - recieved

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker

[This message has been edited by Sir Coquenbolls (edited 01-24-2014 @ 12:13 PM).]

Replies:
posted 12-02-13 00:30 AM CT (US)     1 / 168  
About five hundred words in. I wish I started writing earlier. Sleep is for the weak.

Jesus HATES you.

I was once a normal Titan but then I decided to be King.
I have 2500 in the fastest splash splash ever. Suck it

[This message has been edited by DementoKing (edited 12-02-2013 @ 00:31 AM).]

posted 12-02-13 07:46 AM CT (US)     2 / 168  
I want to participate.

posted 12-02-13 09:08 AM CT (US)     3 / 168  
We need a logo for the contest, CK. Actually, you could make this thread a little prettier in many places.

I may enter, but I am stuck with a personal project right now, and I don't know if I will finish it with enough time to write an entry.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 12-02-13 10:27 AM CT (US)     4 / 168  
What are the content restrictions?

Purveyor of the Poi | Deliverer of Desu
Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
Hi, I'm Kongou! Are you my admiral?
posted 12-02-13 10:44 AM CT (US)     5 / 168  
I'm happy to judge, the deadline is after all my exams to my business won't matter.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 12-02-13 10:44 AM CT (US)     6 / 168  
What are the content restrictions?
Nothing that Moff would want to write about

"Have you ever had a dream that you thought was impossible to achieve? Well, some people say nothing is impossible. But I do nothing every day! So you can definitely do it."
--Tofu the dog's infinite wisdom

"British English is easy! Just use an 's' instead of a 'z' and replace 'or' with 'our' and you're dandy." "Do you want pissa our noodles for dinner?" "u better not piss in r noodles m8"
--Classic exchange between Popeychops and John the Late
posted 12-02-13 11:02 AM CT (US)     7 / 168  
I'll write just about anything, so... <_<

:p

Lord Sipia: "THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN SIPPY IS EXCLUDED! EVERYBODY LOSES THEIR SANITY" | Also Lord Sipia: "...Of course. Prepare the butter."
posted 12-02-13 11:27 AM CT (US)     8 / 168  
So what if, for example, someone submits a sci fi story, but one of the judges hates sci fi with a passion and wishes all sci fi would burn in hell? Will the judges keep their biases to themselves and not let it bleed into their judging of a story in a genre they don't like or are not familiar with?

ax_man1

Owner of a post 500, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500
Not all are in the same thread, but 4 of them are
posted 12-02-13 11:27 AM CT (US)     9 / 168  
...You're gonna do Ponies in Space, aren't you? <_<

posted 12-02-13 11:38 AM CT (US)     10 / 168  
Put my name down, though due to work circumstances i may not finish in time. (though after Christmas i may have more time)

"Then ready yourself Peter Pan, for I am Red Handed Jill"
posted 12-02-13 12:33 PM CT (US)     11 / 168  
Sign me up for it.
As it stands, I am willing to extend this to 10000 words. This depends on if Hockeysam is willing to read this much.
For your own sake, and for the sake of getting the judging process done quicker, I think you should stick to the 6,000-word limit.
Will the judges keep their biases to themselves and not let it bleed into their judging of a story in a genre they don't like or are not familiar with?
I believe this has been the case in previous competitions, so I assume it stands?

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |¯| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |¯|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 12-02-13 03:07 PM CT (US)     12 / 168  
...You're gonna do Ponies in Space, aren't you? <_<
I wasn't...but I am now! :D

edit: Ok for some reason ':D' is not becoming the smiley...

ax_man1

[This message has been edited by ax_man1 (edited 12-02-2013 @ 03:08 PM).]

posted 12-02-13 03:11 PM CT (US)     13 / 168  
there are no content restrictions.... just be mindful of what may or may not get you a decent score. (both popey and I despise ponies, just so you're aware. but I do enjoy a good sci-fi)

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker

[This message has been edited by Sir Coquenbolls (edited 12-02-2013 @ 03:12 PM).]

posted 12-02-13 03:27 PM CT (US)     14 / 168  
I'm unbiased and I'll solely rate on how good the writing is.

That being said, you'd better not mention that blight Justin Bieber in a positive light (not that I think any of you actually like him). Jokes or writing ripping on his idiocy or lamenting his corruption of the youth are fine, though

I also don't mind ponies (possibly because I really have no idea what MLP is), but you can't possibly expect me to understand obscure references to the show, etc. Seeing as Popey and CK despise them, it's likely not a good idea to write about them

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 12-02-13 04:27 PM CT (US)     15 / 168  
I'll state for the record that MLP fanfiction would only risk penalties in the "Literary Content" section in and of itself. If it were well written, I could give it full marks for technical ability.

For each category, my scores will be based on the best entry, which would score 25, unless there is anything worth making a notable deduction for. The other entries will be penalised based on how much worse they were than the best entry.

But that's just me.

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 12-02-13 05:39 PM CT (US)     16 / 168  
I believe this has been the case in previous competitions, so I assume it stands?
Yeah, I judged one with Julius once, and I kind of like fantasy and he more or less does not, yet our scores lined up very well, despite like half the entries being some sort of fantasy writing. Of course, it is impossible to remove all bias though.
The competition has two judges who will give a maximum of 50 points to each story; up to 25 for Technical Proficiency, and up to 25 for Literary Content. The judges are forummers CarolKarine (host of the competition) Hockeysam and Popey.
It's confirmed, CK and Popeychops count as one person together.

EDIT: I want to see either TK or Moff do a full 6000 word Star Wars Erotica. And then win with it.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king

[This message has been edited by Mr Wednesday (edited 12-02-2013 @ 05:42 PM).]

posted 12-02-13 05:47 PM CT (US)     17 / 168  
It's confirmed, CK and Popeychops count as one person together.
do you remember our last april fools joke where we pretended to come out as smurfs of each other? (or me as a smurf of him?)

posted 12-02-13 05:49 PM CT (US)     18 / 168  
That's not hard to do (hurr hurr). But I do have to be a good boy now.

posted 12-02-13 09:15 PM CT (US)     19 / 168  
I'm almost tempted to write a MLP fanfic now, just to piss off Popey. To hell with winning the competition, how pissed off can I get the judges? That should be the real competition

ax_man1

posted 12-02-13 09:28 PM CT (US)     20 / 168  
No clopfic.

posted 12-02-13 10:19 PM CT (US)     21 / 168  
Unless you're referring to the Mad TV short "Clops", the spoof of Cops they did a couple decades ago, I've no idea what you're referring to when you say 'no clopfic'.

ax_man1

posted 12-02-13 11:32 PM CT (US)     22 / 168  
posted 12-03-13 00:09 AM CT (US)     23 / 168  
Wrote 1,000 words. What fun.

Ax, when did you become a brony? I think that maybe things like clopping and plot may have only been an initial meme. Perhaps newer bronies never heard it.
posted 12-03-13 09:59 AM CT (US)     24 / 168  
Unless you're referring to the Mad TV short "Clops", the spoof of Cops they did a couple decades ago, I've no idea what you're referring to when you say 'no clopfic'.
"Clop" is to "fap" is "everypony" is to "everybody."

Because horse genitalia are apparently made from stone.

posted 12-03-13 01:04 PM CT (US)     25 / 168  
I think its more to do with the fact that a male horse would need to use two hooves, and would thus make clopping sounds as if walking.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 7  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » Writing Competition '13
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames