Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Designing Forests Effectively - A Simple yet Effective Guide
posted 01-14-07 12:33 PM CT (US)   

Designing Forests Effectively

A Guide Written by The Real Bryl

Introduction
Designing forests in AoK is quite a difficult task, and I have seen many scenarios ruined by big chunks of trees that look nothing like forests. Sure, forests are thick, and some are almost impossible to move through, but I am sick of seeing them being designed lazily and without much effort. So now I will show everyone who is unsure how to design a very nice looking and interesting forest.

Stage 1 - Elevation 4
Now no-one has ever been to a flat forest, so we have to make sure that our forest allows room for both ditches and hills if neccesary. Plus, most forests are on hills anyway, so it's useful to design them on high ground. Put down some Leaves (in the terrain tab) and then elevate them with elevation 4.

[Screenshot]

Stage 2 - More elevation
Yes, I know we just put down a big block of elevation, but now we shall make our leaves look a little more interesting by using Elevation 3 and Elevation 5 to add both ditches and hills. Now, you may be wondering why I haven't mixed terrain - it's because there isn't a 'Mud' terrain. We will add more colour with Gaia objects. So for now, elevation will do.

[Screenshot]

Stage 3 - Adding trees
Obviously a forest needs trees. I'm going for one in full bloom, with all the leaves on all the trees. Later, I will explain how to make Autumn (Fall to you yanks ) forests and eventually Winter ones. Go to the units tab, then select Player: Gaia, and then Other. Dot some forest trees around, but be sure to space them out a bit. Once you've done that, place some Pine trees, imbetween and around the forest trees. Once that's done, place some Tree A - Tree TDs, but DON'T place any Tree Is. You'll see why in a moment. When you're happy with the number of trees you've place, move on.

[Screenshot 1]
[Screenshot 2]
[Screenshot 3]

Stage 4 - Fallen Trees
Now, usually when I go into the forests around where I live there are trees that have fallen down. Most of you are probably thinking 'Stumps?' No, I'm talking about trees that have fallen down and are laying on the floor. How to achieve this? There is a simple way. Basically, we will place trees with villagers next to them, task the villagers to the trees and then once the villager has chopped the tree down remove the villager to reveal a fallen tree. Now, you'll need to place a tree that you can spot easily. This is where the Tree I. Place a couple of Tree Is, and place two allied villagers next to them, like so...

[Screenshot]

Once you've done this, create a few triggers. For example...

Trigger 1
Name: Villager chop tree down 1
Starting state: On/Off
Looping: Yes/No
Effect 1
Task Object: Villager
Set Area: Tile under Villager
Set Location: Tree I
Effect 2
Activate Trigger: Remove villager 1

Trigger 2
Name: Remove villager 1
Starting state: On/Off
Looping: Yes/No
Condition 1
Timer: 5
Effect 1
Remove object: Villager
Set area: Area around Tree I

This will make the villager chop down the tree, and then he will be removed.

[Screenshot]

Stage 5 - More Terrain

To make the terrain more interesting, we're going to use some Gaia objects. Use Flowers 1-4 (in Gaia/Others) for spaces imbetween trees, and use Pile of Food (in Gaia/Units) in open spots and near trees. Use rocks (in Gaia/Others), and Pile of Stone (in Gaia/Others) in open spots, try not to put them too near to trees as this will look unrealistic. Use stumps, broken carts, etc. to add more to your forest. Now, you'll need to add mud to your forest by using Paths 1-4. Don't use too many in one spot, as the game will lag like who knows what. Once you've placed objects, place some Gaia units. Deer, mostly, but a few wolves and wild horses as well.

Stage 6 - Finito!

Now you're pretty much done. Just make some changes as you see fit, add flower beds if you wish (I didn't use them as I think they look a little too exotic for an English forest). Watch out for the next two installments - Autumn (Fall...) and Winter forests.

[Finished!]

Mistadobalina
Don't be sad it happened, be happy it's over.
Replies:
posted 01-14-07 01:01 PM CT (US)     1 / 13  
You should of varied terrain more, it being mostly leaves makes it look bland.

¬_¬ Scuddles: Rhymes with huggles© ¬_¬
"Scud: the man who could even make God feel foolish." - A Banned User
"Anyway, Scud's not mean, it's not in his nature...he is a bit eccentric though!" - Anastasia
posted 01-14-07 01:04 PM CT (US)     2 / 13  

Quote:

Now, usually when I go into the forests around where I live there are trees that have fallen down.

When I walk in a forest, not all bushes have got berries on them. Two of the jungle trees can be used a bushes to add some more variation.

Quote:

Now, you may be wondering why I haven't mixed terrain - it's because there isn't a 'Mud' terrain.

When I wlak in a forest, not all terrain is leaves or mud.
I think dirt patches look well in forests, as long as there aren't too many.

Hussarknight
posted 01-14-07 01:31 PM CT (US)     3 / 13  
Yeah, I do see what you mean and I'm going to put the guide under revision for a while. Thanks guys.

Mistadobalina
posted 01-14-07 06:26 PM CT (US)     4 / 13  
Besides the fettish you seem to have for leaves, this looks very good Keep it up

  _ » Downloads_. . . .________             
                   _ » The Continuous Screenshot Competition_. . . .________         
posted 01-14-07 06:45 PM CT (US)     5 / 13  
Nice work.

You (Dantares) also made a good impression with your campaigns. So many hours, wrestling with idea's. Playtested tons and tons of other work of other people.
Putting Blackness Back On Map|Sieges With Less Lag|10x10 (Custom Map)Winning Second Place in the DtSC: ~The Outer Rim~ 4.0 ratingProud Member of Dragon Gaming StudiosMy Latest Game: ~Son Against Father~
posted 01-14-07 07:32 PM CT (US)     6 / 13  
Looks good. I would have added more trees though. After all, it is a forest.

Here's a pic of my forest. (I know it's lacking elevation because I forgot to put it in and I also probally should put in some leaves too).

          L a n c e O L o t
               Member of
       My Downloads | I m p e r i a l C r e a t i o n s
        Contact Mee Sig Version 1.6
posted 01-14-07 09:00 PM CT (US)     7 / 13  
Cool, this is interesting. I'm just wondering-why use tree I for the chopped trees? When tree I is chopped, it looks exactly the same as a normal tree when chopped.

And also, I think this is kind of interesting, but maybe make a small pond in the forest and have it covered with shallows and flowers? Like a forest pond. Or you could have a huge body of water and simply add trees to the water which creates strips of land so that players can still walk through the forests on shallow water.

Please join!

MEGA CHILLAX

http://megachillax-v2.proboards.com - My username is Daniel Tak and we can always use more members.
posted 01-14-07 09:06 PM CT (US)     8 / 13  
Nicely put together tutorial Bryl. With the revisions suggested it will be an excellent guide. I'd also suggest a running a few cliff fragments under the trees if you want a more slightly more rugged look, and perhaps a path using Dirt1 or Dirt2.

Quoted from the tutorial:

Basically, we will place trees with villagers next to them, task the villagers to the trees and then once the villager has chopped the tree down remove the villager to reveal a fallen tree.

*smotes self* I had meant to ask Ollie to add a fallen tree unit to the Renaissance expansion Perhaps S_TC or whoever picks up the project can do.

:::::M:I:L:I:T:I:A:M:O:U:S:E::::

drop in to eleven:11 - my gallery
:::::::::Tsunami::Studios:::::::::
posted 01-14-07 09:39 PM CT (US)     9 / 13  
IIRC you don't need to have a vill cut down the tree. I think you can use the kill object effect on it. I'm not totally sure though. Try it out and tell me if it works or not.
posted 01-15-07 08:25 AM CT (US)     10 / 13  
A very good tutorial. Like Lance said though, it needs a larger amount and a larger variety of trees. Less animals, a few cliffs, and more Gaia-Other objects + different terrain. Still, it's a beleivable presentation as is.

* * * (-) | ¯\I )¬, (¯) |) |-|- ,O /^V^\ |¯ * * *
-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-=¯=-
...Still working on The Epic of Gilgamesh...
posted 01-15-07 11:43 AM CT (US)     11 / 13  
Thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:

I'm just wondering-why use tree I for the chopped trees? When tree I is chopped, it looks exactly the same as a normal tree when chopped.

I know, I used Tree I so they could easily be spotted. But any tree can be used.

Mistadobalina
posted 01-15-07 12:11 PM CT (US)     12 / 13  
This is a good tutorial. I'll use it as reference. But yeah, It needs some flowers, forage bushes, ect.
posted 01-16-07 01:59 PM CT (US)     13 / 13  
Fallen trees was a good one...Other than that, quite obvious stuff, but nice tutorial.

"Especially awe-inspiring is the fact that any single brain is made up of atoms that were forged in the hearts of countless stars billions of years ago... These atoms now form a conglomerate – your brain – that can not only ponder the very stars that gave it birth but can also think about its own ability to think and wonder about its own ability to wonder. With the arrival of humans…the universe has suddenly become conscious of itself. This, truly, is the greatest mystery of all." - Rama
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Designing Forests Effectively - A Simple yet Effective Guide
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames