Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Annales Aubertiani: Sigebert
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
posted 04-01-15 05:55 PM CT (US)   

• F r a n c i a •

The year of our lord 733...

During a skirmish against Saxon raiders, the Frankish count Angilbart, gets struck down. He leaves his wife, three sons and a vast amount of wealth and lands. Usually according to Frankish law, the land would be divided between the three sons, but none of them, nor their uncle are prepared to give up on their claim to the whole family fortune. The only way to solve their squabbles is by the sword...

• F e a t u r e s •

A modded campaign with 4 scenarios
An intriguing fictional story line but partially based on real history
New graphics
New technologies and units
Ambient sounds
Complex trigger systems
Complex and dynamic AIs
Seasons

• S c r e e n s h o t s •

Summer | Autumn | Winter | Spring | Hamlet | Village | Town | Quest items | Animated eyecandy | Roman ruins | Watermill | Sheep pen | Two new units |
Campaign map wip
-More screenshots coming-

Credits for graphics and ideas to Kor, Gen_Rhys_Dallows and Dave_earl. Special thanks to Scripter for his amazing Userpatch.

More information will follow soon!

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 10-19-2017 @ 10:26 AM).]

Replies:
posted 04-01-15 06:46 PM CT (US)     1 / 179  
Looks cool! The screenshots look quite nice, and the idea and subject matter are quite interesting to me

EDIT: One thing confuses me with regard to the setting, though - underneath the title it says "Francia - 783 AD," and then says that the story was written down in 783 AD but says below that Sigebert died in 734. If I'm correct, my assumption is that you mean that the events in the scenario were first chronicled in 783 AD, while the events transpired before and during 734 AD. It might be better to have the setting date underneath the title image correspond to the year in which the story starts, so as to eliminate confusion. So if the events started "50 years ago", then it might be better to have the setting date just underneath the title image read "Francia - 733 AD" ?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 04-01-2015 @ 08:36 PM).]

posted 04-02-15 08:27 AM CT (US)     2 / 179  
You're right Sam. Good catch .

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 04-03-2015 @ 05:54 PM).]

posted 04-02-15 09:46 AM CT (US)     3 / 179  
Looks very interesting, Jan! I always love settings like these, and the screenshots look promising (although you might want to remove the tree from right in front of the chapel door in that last screenshot)

Just one thing - the grammatical declension in your title is off. I am not sure what Aubertianus is supposed to be - the name of a monastery? - as you don't explain, but in this case the correct title would have to be Annales Aubertiani (compare to the 8th century Annales Bertiniani, the annals of the monastery of St Bertin).

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 04-02-15 10:07 AM CT (US)     4 / 179  
Thanks Kor.
Just one thing - the grammatical declension in your title is off. I am not sure what Aubertianus is supposed to be - the name of a monastery? - as you don't explain, but in this case the correct title would have to be Annales Aubertiani (compare to the 8th century Annales Bertiniani, the annals of the monastery of St Bertin).
Yeah it's based on the Annales Bertiniani and Annales Fuldenses and indeed refers to the name of the patron saint or monastery, in this case Saint Aubert. I wrote down Aubertini in my notes but must have mixed it up later on when I read about Saint Aubertus. Thanks for telling me. Can a mod fix the header please?

Btw is it okay if I use graphics of chivalry? So far I'm using your chapel and huscarl but I might end up using more. I'd like to return the favor of course and let you use the graphics I make for this project.
posted 04-02-15 10:24 AM CT (US)     5 / 179  
Sure, go right ahead!

Kor | The Age of Chivalry is upon us!
Wellent ich gugk, so hindert mich / köstlicher ziere sinder,
Der ich e pflag, da für ich sich / Neur kelber, gaiss, böck, rinder,
Und knospot leut, swarz, hässeleich, / Vast rüssig gen dem winder;
Die geben müt als sackwein vich. / Vor angst slach ich mein kinder
Offt hin hinder.
posted 04-02-15 11:21 AM CT (US)     6 / 179  
Can a mod fix the header please?
Consider it done

EDIT: That last screenshot looks very nice as well! But I agree with Kor about the tree in front of the chapel door.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frćndr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauđan hvern." - Hávamál 77.

[This message has been edited by HockeySam18 (edited 04-02-2015 @ 11:24 AM).]

posted 04-02-15 11:49 AM CT (US)     7 / 179  
Great stuff Jan dc! The mod looks good and I love the way you conveyed the idea of changing seasons in the screenshots.

Moreover the VIII century is probably one the periods I studied the most at university, and I feel a bit emotionally attached to some of its events and protagonists. I am really looking forward to playing this one.

[This message has been edited by Paul_TD (edited 04-02-2015 @ 11:50 AM).]

posted 04-02-15 02:20 PM CT (US)     8 / 179  
Jan, this Mod looks intresting, but I need 2 information about that:

1_Why the France is called Francia (that sound perfect as italian translation)

2_The mushrooms research in the above screenshot, I don't understand the description, how the storehouse work? Maybe it produce slowly amount of food like a reling in a church, or it work like a market by increasing the amount of food taken/brought to the storehouse from a trade cart?
posted 04-02-15 02:50 PM CT (US)     9 / 179  
Thanks Paul_TD. Seems the campaign gets the response of many historians and history students (three already). The early middle ages is also one of my favorite periods although I'm more of an amateur history geek.
1_Why the France is called Francia (that sound perfect as italian translation)
At that time it wasn't France yet. In the 8th century it was still the Frankish kingdom which is sometimes called Francia or Frankia.
2_The mushrooms research in the above screenshot, I don't understand the description, how the storehouse work? Maybe it produce slowly amount of food like a reling in a church, or it work like a market by increasing the amount of food taken/brought to the storehouse from a trade cart?
Well it's a modded campaign so I use the AI, the triggers and the technologies to create certain mechanics. So in this case storehouses produce food by triggers and researching technologies increases that production.
It will be clear when you play the scenario.
posted 04-02-15 03:38 PM CT (US)     10 / 179  
Oh, thanks man, I'll wait the release, but last thing, this campaign is for which version of the game (are included patches and/or mods in order to play it?)

Thanks again and keep your work!
posted 04-02-15 04:42 PM CT (US)     11 / 179  
Userpatch 1.4 although I think you can use 1.0c as well. I haven't used any of the new AI or trigger features from up yet.
posted 04-02-15 07:20 PM CT (US)     12 / 179  
Looks excellent.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 04-02-15 08:57 PM CT (US)     13 / 179  
Looks good. Nice to see the dark ages represented so well.
posted 04-03-15 06:04 PM CT (US)     14 / 179  
Added quest items (see screenshots original post).
posted 04-03-15 06:56 PM CT (US)     15 / 179  
Nice one! I really like the modded buildings. How have you managed to integrate the quest items, if I may ask? And is the hero still able to auto-attack despite being garrisonable?

On a side note, I really like your use of rotation in some of the shots to make the trees all green - it gives an aesthetic look that I personally enjoy very much

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-03-15 07:06 PM CT (US)     16 / 179  
Nice one! I really like the modded buildings. How have you managed to integrate the quest items, if I may ask? And is the hero still able to auto-attack despite being garrisonable?
Thanks, I gave the transport ship characteristics to the hero and he is still able to attack automatically. He doesn't move in formation anymore though so I wonder if I can fix that. He doesn't have a unload button/interface but that's not really important for quest items.
On a side note, I really like your use of rotation in some of the shots to make the trees all green - it gives an aesthetic look that I personally enjoy very much
Yeah rotating thousands of trees isn't really my thing :P. I just changed one of the other terrains to this all green forest type to which I also added the jungle bushes. I use it for the Summer scenario. I made all kinds of tweaks to make designing easier.
posted 04-04-15 08:36 AM CT (US)     17 / 179  
He doesn't move in formation anymore though so I wonder if I can fix that.
Probably something to do with the ship characteristics, but someone more experienced than I would know for certain
He doesn't have a unload button/interface but that's not really important for quest items.
Agreed!
Yeah rotating thousands of trees isn't really my thing :P. I just changed one of the other terrains to this all green forest type to which I also added the jungle bushes. I use it for the Summer scenario. I made all kinds of tweaks to make designing easier.
Hey, you can get used to spamming those arrow keys after a while!

In all seriousness though, great idea. It's something I'd want to do for future scenarios of mine but I don't have the modding know-how to do it

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-06-15 07:30 AM CT (US)     18 / 179  
Fixed it. It was indeed the ship attribute :P. I updated the screenshots so make sure to check them.
posted 04-06-15 09:31 AM CT (US)     19 / 179  
If others are interested in what caused it: 2nd Unit attribute boolean decides if a unit joins land or water formations. Jan copied the number from the transport ship, which was 3. For a land unit transporting things, you need 1.
posted 04-06-15 10:50 AM CT (US)     20 / 179  
Nice screenshots! I really like the new modded buildings and objects, and the age advancement system of stages of urbanization.

The image you have in the OP has also always been one of my favorite pieces of artwork from the AoC campaign slides, so I love your (apt) use of it! That one guy has a huge axe, though

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-06-15 11:45 AM CT (US)     21 / 179  
It's indeed from the Attila slides. I just removed the background but yeah that's one hugh axe .
posted 04-06-15 11:55 AM CT (US)     22 / 179  
The beehive is cool too. Does it serve a gameplay purpose or just eyecandy?

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-06-15 12:00 PM CT (US)     23 / 179  
Great work with the icons and the beehive!
posted 04-06-15 12:29 PM CT (US)     24 / 179  
Thanks, I still need to work on it a bit. First I wanted to make it work like berries but when I change it to class 10 the animation doesn't work any more. So for now it's just a building with no functionality.

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 04-06-2015 @ 06:50 PM).]

posted 04-06-15 08:52 PM CT (US)     25 / 179  
I was just looking at the hamlet screenshot, and I do have one minor piece of feedback: there is a Huskarl obscured by the house on the left of the screen - I'd suggest moving him to out in the open where the player can see him. This is truly nitpicking, but it looks cleaner that way imo.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-09-15 06:20 AM CT (US)     26 / 179  
Working on one or two new unit skins with the much appreciated help of toddler.

Edit: Updated the animation.

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 04-09-2015 @ 03:12 PM).]

posted 04-09-15 07:41 AM CT (US)     27 / 179  
Unit looks cool but a little too fast for the idle.
posted 04-09-15 08:04 AM CT (US)     28 / 179  
It's not the final version yet, there are also some frames missing and it's just a quick render. The speed was set by the gif conversion tool.

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 04-09-2015 @ 08:05 AM).]

posted 04-09-15 08:31 AM CT (US)     29 / 179  
this is a very beautifull unit! have a nice time creating it!
posted 04-09-15 10:15 AM CT (US)     30 / 179  
Nice work! The Roman ruins screenshot in the OP is also quite nice

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 04-11-15 01:52 PM CT (US)     31 / 179  
The first scenario is done and ready for testing .
posted 04-11-15 06:25 PM CT (US)     32 / 179  
I'm willing to give it a look, assuming that I can get the mod working, etc.

[ All_That_Glitters | Pretty_Town_Contest | Other_AoK_Designs | AoE_Designs ]
Member of Stormwind Studios
posted 04-12-15 06:13 AM CT (US)     33 / 179  
This is looking really good!

__[]_________
|||||||||||||||||
The ||||||||||||||||| Hus
OF | [/ \] |Ż| [/ \] | ME
______________________________________________________________________________ |__ _ |Ż|____|_______________________________________________________________________________
The Relics of Athalën (5.0) | AoK Opus - 100,000+ downloads | StormWind Studios | "I consider the conversion of Basse to be one of the great triumphs of my modding crusade" - Matt LiVecchi
posted 04-12-15 06:25 AM CT (US)     34 / 179  
Thanks a lot Julius999 and Lord Basse, means a lot coming from you . Sure you can test it Julius999, I just need to work on some more graphics and then it should be good for testing.

Btw anyone who knows how to contact Dave_earl? I emailed to his old account but he hasn't responded yet. I also found his facebook account on his blog but think it might be a bit inappropriate to contact him that way.

Dying animation

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 04-12-2015 @ 06:42 AM).]

posted 04-12-15 11:49 AM CT (US)     35 / 179  
The spear looks shorter in the dying frames and I feel the walking needs a little more work.The shield seems to be a little too much lowered and the spear carrying position seems better for a sword or axe.
« Previous Page  1 2 3 ··· 6  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Annales Aubertiani: Sigebert
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames