Bottom
Topic Subject: RP Scenario - work in progress - no name yet
« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 07-01-15 09:59 AM CT (US)   
RP Project without a name

Peaceful eastern grassland
An important location
Mountainside farms

The scenario is built on a giant map and features a couple of different environments: A snowy mountain area, cold and dry plains, lush oak and mixed forests, a cold yet lush land dominated by pines, and last but not least, a tropical island in the sea.

Aimed at multiplayer gameplay, there will be 7 playable factions, all with their unique victory goals, for example:

- Claiming back all the relics long lost from their holy place
- Achieving hegemony by securing 4 strategic points by military power
- Achieving unrivaled wealth by amassing a truly large sum of money

Considering the different nature in many of these goals, there will be a lot of action for certain.

More information soon to come.

Progress:
Concept: 80%
Map design: 100%
Triggers: 100%

See most recent posts for the current situation.

I still have no idea for names for the factions, which is basically what keeps me from finishing this map.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 06-07-2016 @ 03:49 PM).]

Replies:
posted 07-01-15 10:03 AM CT (US)     1 / 40  
posted 07-01-15 10:40 AM CT (US)     2 / 40  
HOLY BATMAN, out of nowhere! Are you making this for HD, Userpatch, or the CD version ?

Quality is not an act, it is a habit.

[This message has been edited by Aristeides (edited 07-01-2015 @ 10:40 AM).]

posted 07-01-15 10:55 AM CT (US)     3 / 40  
Nice to see this thread go up! Screenies look great, concept is cool, and from what I've heard/seen over skype this should be quite a good one!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-01-15 05:52 PM CT (US)     4 / 40  
HOLY BATMAN, out of nowhere! Are you making this for HD, Userpatch, or the CD version ?
Should be compatible with all game versions and mods.

Note the cursor in the screenshots. So professional.
posted 07-01-15 06:00 PM CT (US)     5 / 40  
I always forget about the cursor too, then I look at the image in paint when I'm cropping it and notice it so I retake the screenshot. It's not very noticeable in your screenshots, though - my eyes were drawn immediately to the design instead

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 07-01-15 06:53 PM CT (US)     6 / 40  
Looks great John!

Unique victory conditions is a good idea, RPs where everyone makes peace and builds a huge army to duke it out two hours in are boring, so that should shake up things.

Also, why does the cursor appear to you? Print Screen + Paste into the image editor, voila, no cursor.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 07-05-15 07:18 AM CT (US)     7 / 40  
Thanks!

I make screenshots by pressing F14 and taking the PNG from the screenshots folder of AoE II.
posted 07-05-15 07:23 AM CT (US)     8 / 40  
Looks sweet

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 07-05-15 07:40 AM CT (US)     9 / 40  
Great work so far mate!
posted 07-16-15 00:53 AM CT (US)     10 / 40  
Aaaand my external hard drive just died. Hope I can rescue the files, this project would be my least concern (lots of personal and non-backed-up stuff saved there) but it would be just another thing lost.
posted 07-16-15 02:22 AM CT (US)     11 / 40  
Any way of recovering the Drive?

The project looks good, and the unique victory conditions are interesting. It'd be a shame if this is lost.

Proud Member of Black Forest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009
and The Seas of Egressa - Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
posted 07-16-15 09:40 AM CT (US)     12 / 40  
It seems to work again... don't ask me why (wasn't overheated or anything). But I take it as a sign to get a new one asap.
posted 07-17-15 09:28 PM CT (US)     13 / 40  
I blame cables for things like that.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 09-17-15 09:55 AM CT (US)     14 / 40  
Files (scenario and concept images) are copied to new computer. Work on this will continue shortly.
posted 09-17-15 12:54 PM CT (US)     15 / 40  
Good to hear!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-14-15 10:03 AM CT (US)     16 / 40  
Finally made a lot of progress again today. Was designing for about 8 hours, and was streaming it all just for fun, with varying viewer numbers from 1-12. Definitely a nice way to design.

Swampside food gathering
A stronghold dominating the surrounding lands
Southern village
posted 12-14-15 10:31 AM CT (US)     17 / 40  
Next time you're streaming, tell us so we can watch

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 12-14-15 11:23 AM CT (US)     18 / 40  
It's a purely spontaneous thing. However you can drop me a follow to might notice it. (Twitch channel)
posted 12-15-15 06:55 AM CT (US)     19 / 40  
Made some more progress this morning. Soon I'll have a finished map without a story.

I'll continue (and also stream again lol) in a few minutes. Maybe I can get it done this week.
posted 12-15-15 12:46 PM CT (US)     20 / 40  
Nice screenshots. The combination of the castle and the monastery in particular is one of my favorites - it has a very organic feel to it.

We should put together an AoKH Twitch channel to do design streams on. I'd be game for doing some over the holidays in particular.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-15-15 01:43 PM CT (US)     21 / 40  
Excellent work John. I logged in for 1 minute to see what you were doing but sadly I didn't have time to see more. Looking great though.

I was thinking of making a video or a stream of me figuring out how to 3D model aoe1 buildings. They're on a much smaller scale than aoe2, even though both are made in very similar ways, so it's easier imo. I just have to figure a few more things out but I'm getting close to ES' style.

[This message has been edited by Jan dc (edited 12-15-2015 @ 01:52 PM).]

posted 12-16-15 00:39 AM CT (US)     22 / 40  
Thanks for the nice words!

While checking some stuff in TS I noticed I'm at 41188 existing units right now, 23226 of those placed in the last 2 days within a total of 16 hours of work.
One could say that I was on a roll. And out of music to use on the stream, haha. Luckily those were only the IDs (which don't go down upon again deleting a unit), the units are only 14k. Means a lot less lag.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 12-19-2015 @ 00:22 AM).]

posted 12-16-15 08:56 AM CT (US)     23 / 40  
The stream is a pleasure to watch. Makes me want to follow suit once I'm home

I tend to listen to EDM to get me all energized, but that's just me

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-16-15 01:13 PM CT (US)     24 / 40  
Good to know. I'll see if I can use a better resolution next time without my upload collapsing.

And about the music... I've had everything. From EDM to videogame or movie soundtracks to (today) early venetian lute music. I quite like to use fitting music when design certain things, like this track while designing some of the swampy area. The "energising" music, like some good nice hardstyle, I listen to while playing, for the most part.

Map design is at 97%. All areas are done, I just want to improve a few older ones.

However... I still lack names and a story.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 12-16-2015 @ 01:16 PM).]

posted 12-17-15 09:30 AM CT (US)     25 / 40  
However... I still lack names and a story.
Often the most difficult part. I spent hours trying to formulate those for my map

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-17-15 10:36 AM CT (US)     26 / 40  
And I thought that a story/names/background are worthless when there's no map but a map without a story is well usable, so I decided to not bother with it until I have a substantial amount of the map completed.
posted 12-18-15 07:23 PM CT (US)     27 / 40  
I often find that it gives me a bit of inspiration when it comes to the characteristics of the players whose lands I am designing when you've fleshed out each faction a bit story-wise.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-22-15 06:22 AM CT (US)     28 / 40  
Looking great!
Cant wait to play, You gotta let me be yellow tho!
posted 12-24-15 07:13 AM CT (US)     29 / 40  
^ Explanation: Knaber helped me a lot with the wall layout of the yellow town, greatly improving its looks.
posted 12-30-15 01:29 PM CT (US)     30 / 40  
Looks like we'll have a test game on Steam (despite utter lack of story ) in about 30-40 minutes. Anyone's welcome to join, right now we are on 4 or 5 of 7 players.
posted 12-30-15 02:12 PM CT (US)     31 / 40  
Triple post but:

Short overview of the factions:

IMPORTANT: All victory conditions require a standing army of at least 80. What good is a wonder when there are no people left?

Player 1 - Teutons
One of the two main military players. Starts in west with an economic base and in northwest with a military base. Requires 4 castles in special locations to win.

Player 2 - Celts
The other of the two main military players. Starts in east with an economic base and in the center with a military base. Requires 4 castles in special locations to win.

Player 3 - Japanese
Starts in northern mountains, has the smallest starting town and no army, but 3 relics. Needs to secure all 10 relics to win (no countdown required).

Player 4 - Britons
Starts with a fortified town in the center. Needs to build a wonder to win (no countdown required).

Player 5 - Aztecs
Starts on an island in the south, needs to ensure that no other player has any monasteries left standing, while having 10 of their own.

Player 6 - Goths
Have a weak start in the southwest, but more food. Need to expel all other players from the western land by destroying their military buildings on it.

Player 7 - Spanish
Start in the northest and the southwest, have a good economy. Need to achieve 100.000 gold to win.

AI
Neutral trade town village that everyone can trade with. Its existence is especially important to player 7.

Techs: No gunpowder for anyone, no Paladins for anyone but the Celts, no siege onager for anyone but the aztecs. No perfusion for goths, no free +1 foot archer range in imperial for britons.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 12-30-2015 @ 04:26 PM).]

posted 12-30-15 03:20 PM CT (US)     32 / 40  
Ah, it's nice to see the individual victory conditions and which players have to achieve them. From what you've shown me of the map, it seems that you have a very different take on the unique victory conditions and power structure in this map than what I've created in Galderton, so I'm quite intrigued. I'm unavailable today and tomorrow for testing, but I look forward to some games afterwards!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 12-30-15 08:28 PM CT (US)     33 / 40  
played before 2 rounds of it, was a very close match. had a lot of fun. map detail is also pretty nice.
posted 06-07-16 03:13 PM CT (US)     34 / 40  
I just noticed that I still haven't published this...

Everything is complete, except for the fact that I lack names and a background story, and I don't want to upload a 99% finished map, not this close to 100%.

If anyone has some ideas, I'd be glad to hear them.

My last concept was:

• Blue and red are both invading nations from the west and east respectively.
  • Green is a monastic order from the north that only recently took arms to recover all the relics.
  • Cyan was the former ruling folk of the lands but got displaced by the blue, would have to either bury their rivalry or rekindle it.
  • Yellow is the longest standing (and somewhat arrogant?) town in the area, but facing a continuous threat from red. Are in some sort of friendship with cyan (they also start as allied to each other as opposed to neutral like everyone else to everyone).
  • Orange is some trader nation, company, whatever - they come from the northeast (dryer area), hold the best trade route with an army and an economical camp along the route.
  • Purple are island dwellers that for some reason leave it and expand.

[This message has been edited by John the Late (edited 06-07-2016 @ 03:14 PM).]

• posted 06-07-16 03:43 PM CT (US)     35 / 40  
    Nice to have you back, and it's great to see this getting close to completion.

From what you've posted, it seems that you already have the premise of the scenario largely set, so it should be reasonably straightforward to derive a brief background plot for it. As for the actual names, the key thing is keeping them within a more-or-less consistent style - if the differences within a single map are too jarring and numerous across the board then it would seem unrealistic. When designing my Galderton map I derived most names from the Nordic, Anglo-Saxon, and early Germanic linguistic groups. While all of those have a degree of difference, there is also some commonality, and it's far more reasonable than having, say, Chinese, Turkic, Norse, Indian, Spanish, and Mayan names all on the same map.

There was actually a recent discussion in another thread on this subject, so check that out if you like (see posts 252-266).

Apologies for the relative lack of specificity, but I'm giving fairly general advice because it's your project and I don't want to inject my personal preferences into it to the point of hijacking it.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » RP Scenario - work in progress - no name yet
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames