Please login or register

Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: New Slavic wonder for AoF
posted 05-24-16 07:47 PM CT (US)   
I'm pretty sure many people who knew me here from years back would be surprised by this, but yes I have returned to modding this game. Well, sort of actually. These days I have been brushing up on my 3d modeling skills and learning how to use a variety of 3d modeling programs because I hope to have a job as a 3d modeling artist one day. In the near future I will be putting together a portfolio of my work. But at the same time I decided to return to my roots a bit and do some modding work for this game again, which I still hold near and dear to my heart and has been kept alive and trucking all these years(Hats off to Cysion and the Forgotten Empires team for that).

For the last several weeks I've been learning Blender through various tutorials on Youtube and when I've gotten comfortable enough to create my own work, I decided to model a medieval Russian cathedral to use as a new Slavic wonder, because as much as I appreciate what the FE team has done to incorporate my old Russian mod work into their expansion(albeit heavily modified), I never did like the building they used for the Slavic wonder. And besides, that building is not really from the medieval era, but from the 17th-18th centuries. I don't understand why they used that wooden church instead of a real medieval structure.

I decided to base my wonder on the Dormition Cathedral in Vladimir, Russia. You can read about and see a photo of it on Wikipedia and Google several other photos of it.

Here is a large render of my finished model:
https://gyazo.com/3eecf20f636c65a5b4fe22ae50050faf

Lately I've been catching up with the times with AoK: HD and its Forgotten expansion(still haven't yet gotten African Kingdoms) and I've been learning how mods are applied to this latest incarnation of the game. I've also been learning to use the latest version of AGE and Turtle Pack(love this thing, much more efficient than MPS hehe). So here is my Slavic wonder in game.

I plan on publishing this mod on Steam soon, although I am concerned about the snow graphics. Need to learn how to switch those around so that they fit the right areas of the building.
Replies:
posted 05-24-16 08:22 PM CT (US)     1 / 32  
very nice wonder.It reminds me EE2 or red alert .

[This message has been edited by MattiKhan (edited 05-24-2016 @ 08:47 PM).]

posted 05-24-16 09:43 PM CT (US)     2 / 32  
It looks really good, almost photographic!

Eh, Steve!
posted 05-24-16 10:30 PM CT (US)     3 / 32  
Looks amazing.

Great work!!!
posted 05-25-16 02:21 AM CT (US)     4 / 32  
Very nice.That is even looking much better than the in game wonder model.
Can you please tell which software you use for modelling and rendering?
posted 05-25-16 02:34 AM CT (US)     5 / 32  
@thomasweed9 I used Blender as I said, which is a very powerful tool for both modeling and rendering as well as animation. It's not easy to learn, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty streamlined IMHO. Plus, it is completely free. That is quite a steal considering that it is about as powerful as 3dSMax and Maya, which are industry standard programs that cost a few thousand dollars.
posted 05-25-16 02:40 AM CT (US)     6 / 32  
Excelent work! For the snow and fire there is sprite editor in the HD's menu or you can use AGE3 since it has slp viwer.
posted 05-25-16 03:20 AM CT (US)     7 / 32  
Nice looking building looks very matching to the walls.
posted 05-25-16 05:25 AM CT (US)     8 / 32  
The domes look awesome
posted 05-25-16 07:17 AM CT (US)     9 / 32  
Wow. That's a name I didn't expect to see again.

"And Matt is a prolific lurker, watching over the forum from afar in silence, like Batman. He's the president TC needs, and possibly also the one it deserves." - trebuchet king
posted 05-25-16 12:36 PM CT (US)     10 / 32  
What algorithm do you use to convert the graphics to AoK palette? It looks like Photoshop's diffuse, I'd recommend trying a different one, because it leaves awful MS Paint spray-like marks on otherwise perfect building.

And I must ask about the materials, especially the brick. They would fit my upcoming Byzantine set perfectly, is there any chance of sharing them?

[This message has been edited by Pawelec_POLAND (edited 05-25-2016 @ 12:38 PM).]

posted 05-25-16 01:08 PM CT (US)     11 / 32  
Welcome back. I heard a lot about you

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 05-25-16 01:10 PM CT (US)     12 / 32  
Man, actually I was working on this. But your mod is much better, although it is not the original Dormition Cathedral, built under Andrey Bogolyubsky days. It is the reconstructed variant made during the reign of Vsevolod III the Big Nest.

Here how the original might have looked like:

Also, nice to see you here! I reworked your AOC mod to the HD version, if you don't mind.

I am working on a large History of Russia campaign. I am almost finished with the first part. If you want you can help me.
posted 05-25-16 01:25 PM CT (US)     13 / 32  
Wow. That's a name I didn't expect to see again.
Indeed. I myself am still a bit surprised that I'm doing this again.
What algorithm do you use to convert the graphics to AoK palette? It looks like Photoshop's diffuse, I'd recommend trying a different one, because it leaves awful MS Paint spray-like marks on otherwise perfect building.

And I must ask about the materials, especially the brick. They would fit my upcoming Byzantine set perfectly, is there any chance of sharing them?
You're right I did use Photoshop's diffuse with dithering set to 100 and "Preserve Exact Colors" checked and it did leave a bunch of purple pixels on the image which I had to manually remove. Which algorithm do you reccommend I use?

I might be able to share the materials. Do you use Blender also?
posted 05-25-16 01:38 PM CT (US)     14 / 32  
Hey Agamemmnon, welcome back .

I do most of my graphics as well in blender nowadays. We could share our experiences and help more people to 3D modelling aoe graphics. I don't know if you heard but we got the original setup for aoe1 buildings now (of aoe2 not yet sadly).

Looking forward to see what else you make.
posted 05-25-16 02:16 PM CT (US)     15 / 32  
Looks very nice and fits the game seamlessly. Congrats and good to see you!
posted 05-25-16 02:22 PM CT (US)     16 / 32  
The wonder looks beautiful (But given your previous work, is that really a surprise ?) ! I am definitely looking forward to see anything you will do.

Fluctuat nec mergitur.
posted 05-26-16 04:55 AM CT (US)     17 / 32  
Which algorithm do you reccommend I use?
There aren't so many of them in Photoshop, just try all of them and use the one which looks best, at least that's what I do.
I might be able to share the materials. Do you use Blender also?
Yes, I do my renders in Blender (but create models in SketchUp)
posted 05-26-16 06:44 AM CT (US)     18 / 32  
Would you mind also sharing your basic blender file? Without the building but with the lighting, camera and nodes if you use them.

This is the setup I used a while back although I have a better one for aoe1 now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/65cya1tcljrhrbb/tower.zip?dl=0
posted 05-26-16 06:31 PM CT (US)     19 / 32  
@GranCalabaza: I see. I wasn't aware that there were two incarnations of the same church. And yes, feel free to use my old Russian graphics.

@Dire Wolf: Nice to see you too, man. Just like old times.

@Jan DC: Sure I can send you my basic setup file. It contains a sun light as the main lighting as well as a point light to illuminate the southwest side of objects. It's also set to use the Cycles renderer and ground shadows are rendered on the second layer. Here it is:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfmri8et1xaufmj/aoksetup.blend?dl=0

@Pawelec_POLAND: I'm not sure if I can export the materials individually in Blender although I can send you the textures, normal maps, and specularity maps.
posted 05-26-16 07:52 PM CT (US)     20 / 32  
@Pawelec_POLAND: I'm not sure if I can export the materials individually in Blender although I can send you the textures, normal maps, and specularity maps.
That would be more than enough
posted 05-27-16 04:54 AM CT (US)     21 / 32  
The Dormition Cathedral has been renovated a lot of times so the current version isn't very medieval either. The reason AoF went with the wooden church although it's not accurate is because it couldn't be "Polish", "Russian", "Bulgarian", ... but something that would be generally perceived as "Slavic". It's not easy to find such a wonder because the different Slavic people had different architectures and religions.

But about the setup. It's quite interesting. I've only used cycles renders once and on my computer it's very slow so I use the standard blender render. Rendering the shadows to a different layer is a very good idea though.
posted 05-27-16 06:28 AM CT (US)     22 / 32  
The reason AoF went with the wooden church although it's not accurate is because it couldn't be "Polish", "Russian", "Bulgarian", ... but something that would be generally perceived as "Slavic". It's not easy to find such a wonder because the different Slavic people had different architectures and religions.
I don't quite grasp the logic of this, because that wooden church itself is uniquely Russian, or at least looks that way to me and I don't perceive it as "Slavic" in a general sense. Yes, different Slavic people had their own religions and that church doesn't reflect the architecture of the Catholic Slavic cultures.

I think the Dormition Cathedral represents a broader spectrum than the Kizhi Pogost church, because I'm aware that the early medieval church architectures of Slavic Orthodox people(Russian included) for the most part are based on Byzantine architecture.
posted 05-27-16 06:49 AM CT (US)     23 / 32  
You have to consider the cool factor as well. Having a wooden wonder isn't something common. Also Kizhi's geometry, being more tall than wide, lends itself better to modeling.
posted 05-27-16 07:33 AM CT (US)     24 / 32  
I don't quite grasp the logic of this, because that wooden church itself is uniquely Russian
True but the wooden structure also reminds of the Viking Kievan Rus. Well that's just my opinion.
the architecture of the Catholic Slavic cultures.
Or the Pagan Slavic cultures that existed during the middle ages. Catholic Bohemian and Polish architecture which are more West-European based have indeed very little in common with the South-European influenced Adriatic Slav architecture or Byzantine influenced orthodox East and South Slavic architectures.
I think the Dormition Cathedral represents a broader spectrum than the Kizhi Pogost church
Perhaps but the cathedral looks very modern, Russian and not very interesting as an aoe2 wonder.
posted 05-27-16 06:59 PM CT (US)     25 / 32  
Ok guys I just submitted the mod to Steam. Look for it under my alias "Terminus Est."

@Jan dc: Of course I could have used the original St. Sophia's cathedral in Kiev as it looks more interesting, however it looks too wide to fit the wonder tile and I'm not sure how I could create a viable compact design of it to be able to fit the tile.

@Pawelec_POLAND: Here are my textures. Enjoy.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t298drd4pnjl8wk/russiancathedraltextures.zip?dl=0
posted 05-27-16 10:57 PM CT (US)     26 / 32  
Can you release the slp version here also?
posted 05-27-16 11:01 PM CT (US)     27 / 32  
Agamemmnon this looks really awesome.

Can I ask, is this a potential precedent for you to do a complete rebuild project for the slavic building set?

I had been starting to consider a 2D 'remaster' of that building set, like I am currently doing for Italians (steam user catbarf is me). But if someone with your ability level is going to redo them using 3D, I think I will not waste my time!
posted 05-28-16 01:19 AM CT (US)     28 / 32  
@ Warsmithy

Are you still working on your Byzantine buildings?
posted 06-07-16 03:43 PM CT (US)     29 / 32  
posted 06-07-16 10:32 PM CT (US)     30 / 32  
Welcome back, John!
posted 06-08-16 11:14 AM CT (US)     31 / 32  
posted 06-08-16 09:03 PM CT (US)     32 / 32  
John, come and see!

Back on topic. This looks like an amazing building, and I'm excited to see a designer of your reputation back in the community!
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » New Slavic wonder for AoF
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames