Mod Design and Discussion
Moderated by Sebastien, John the Late

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: Project - The Wheel of Time: End of the Third Age
« Previous Page  1 ··· 11 12 13 14 15  Next Page »
posted 05-26-13 01:19 AM CT (US)   

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass. What was, what is, and what is to come may yet fall under the Shadow.

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

------------------------------------------------------------

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legends fade to myth, and even myth is long-forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Age of Kings by some, a mod arose in the AoKH Blacksmith. The mod was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.

Seonid and Artur Hawkwing proudly present:

Wheel of Time - End of the Third Age

First, to give credit where credit is most certainly due, thanks to Kor and his Age of Chivalry:Hegemony mod for opening my eyes to the possibilities of AoC modding, and for the direct inspiration of several of the mechanics that will be used herein.

The beta test of the mod has been released in the Blacksmith! Download it here!!

Features:

Lead the mighty Queen's Guards of Andor in a charge against the foes of the Queen! Extend the sway of Tear with the stalwart Defenders of the Stone! Dispatch Warders and Aes Sedai to execute the judgement of Tar Valon! Or cover the land in a Trolloc horde, supported by the fearsome Myrddraal! Play as one of 11 civilizations drawn from Robert Jordan's intricately detailed world.

Each civilization has unique options for aging up that give them distinct playstyles and strategies. 4th Age options enable powerful unique units that can change the course of the game.

Effective combat units available from the start of the game allow you to pressure your opponents from the very beginning.

Train heavily armored noble units capable of withstanding insane amounts of punishment, or build swarms of peasant levies to overwhelm your enemy's defenses.

Control powerful channeler (magic user) units to dominate the battlefield in the late game, ranging from the brutal Asha'man to the manipulative Aes Sedai.

Many new unit graphics and a unique building set for every civilization make each civilization feel distinct.

Progress: The mod is currently about 95% complete. All that remains is playtesting and bugfixes.

The current release contains the 11 Southland civilizations - Altara, Amadicia, Andor, Arad Doman, Cairhien, Ghealdan, Illian, Mayene, Murandy, Tarabon, and Tear. A future expansion may add the 4 Borderlands as playable civilizations.

-Seonid

Team Wheel of Time: Seonid, Artur Hawkwing, Zephrer

Credits:

I think that I have all of the graphics correctly credited in game. If you notice a graphic used that is credited to the wrong person, not credited at all, or does not have permission to be used, let me know and I'll fix the issue.

Dave3377 for his Round Shield Long Swordsman, Eastern Swordsman, Generic Swordsman, Pikemen/Spearmen, Dark Age Knight, Hunnic Campaign Mods, and Falxman which provide two Footmen, a Retainer, two Pikemen and a Levy Spearman, the Mercenary Cavalry, the Darkfriend, and the Dragonsworn Militia model respectively. In addition, his Cataphract Archer provided the model for the Borderland Cavalry Archer.

Mahazona for his Different Unit Sets mod, from which came an Arbalester, the Billman, a Levy Militia, and a Levy Spearman. Also for his Crusader Knight, which provided the Whitecloak Lancer. In addition, he created the Aiel Spearman model, originally made for Dynasty_IV's Age of Civilizations mod, and the Illuminator model (I can't find where that one came from, but he made it).

Dynasty_IV for his Age of Civilizations mod, which provided most of the buildings for the Amadician building set (some of which were made by Knaber as well), as well as the Aiel Archer unit.

Iron gc for his New Crossbowman and 5 unit update mods, which provided the models for a Crossbowman, a Levy Militia, and the Militia Spearman

Affa the Cleric for his Polish Knight, which gave the model for the Guardian of the Gate.

Jorgito_aqua37 for more new models than I can count. From his boring reskin mod come the models for an Arbalest, an Archer, two Armsmen, an Axeman, a Crossbowman, a Noble, a Lord, the Cavalry Archer, the Defender of the Stone, the Sharpshooter, the Band Sharpshooter, a Halberdier, the High Lord, a House Guardsman, the Legionary of the Wall, the Militia Cavalry, the Militia Lancer, the Mounted Archer, the Warder, the Winged Guard, and the Two Rivers Longbowman. In addition, he made two of the Fortified Manors.

Also, from his work on Age of Chivalry, which Kor has graciously given permission to use, come the models for the Armsman Lancer, an Armsman, the Band Crossbowman, Band Lancer, and Band Pikeman, two Nobles, a Lord, the Companion, the Lord of the Land, the Longbowman, the Queen's Guard, the Citadel Guard, the Wolf Guard, the Lance, and the Two Rivers Billman.

Kor for his Age of Chivalry Unit Pack, which provided the models for an Armsman, a Light Cavalry, the Mercenary Swordsman, a Pikeman, and the Mounted Crossbowman, and for Age of Chivalry from which comes the building models of 8 Fortified Manors, six Royal Courts, the Assembly Hall, the Legion Barracks, the Two Rivers Siege Workshop, the White Tower Embassy, the Black Tower Academy, the Whitecloak Fortress, the Amadician Castle, and one of the Taraboner Wonders.

Jan dc for his Indian Town Center, which provided the Imperial Age Town Center for Altara.

C J for his India modpack, which provided the Castle, Wonder, and Castle Age Town Center for the Altaran civ.

yakko for his Indian Building Set, which provided most of the buildings for the Altaran civ.

Courtjester1 for his Italian Mercenary and Danish Halberdier, which provide an alternate House Guardsman and alternate Halberdier, respectively.

Agammemnon for his Russian mod, providing the Panarch's Legionnaire model (which is also the base model for the Whitecloak Swordsman).

Mr. Wednesday, for his Nazgul, Morthond Bowman, Atani Nobleman, and Axeman of Lossenarch models from the Tales of Middle Earth mod, which are being used as the Myrddraal, an Archer, a Retainer, and an Axeman, respectively. Also for the Trolloc models he created specifically for this mod.

Achesun, for his Noblewoman, which supplies the model for the Kinswoman.

Erechel for his Night Watch Villagers set, which provides the models of the Soldier, Dedicated, Asha'man, and Dreadlord.

foojer for his 5th Century mod, which provides an alternate levy militia.

Furik91, for providing the .slps (extracted from the beta) for a Levy Spearman, as well as for the building graphics for almost all of the Military Academies in the game.

The Age of Empires: Total War team (Furik91, monsterslayer, and Pesqueira) for the building sets for Andor (Feudal Oaths), Cairhien, Mayene, and part of the Amadician building set.
(Note: Furik sent me the building graphics, and gave permission to use them. I do not know which graphics are attributable to which designer, so I've credited the whole team.)

monsterslayer, for his Stradiot model, which provided the Levy Cavalry model.

Pesqueira for the Italian Feudal Age buildings.

Oxam (a Steam user) for his Architecture renovated mod, which provided the building sets for Tear and Murandy. (Note - I have asked permission to use these models, but the creator has not yet responded. If he does not want me using them, I will take them down).

Shayam prasad for the Ghealdanin building set.

The Forgotten Empires Team, who provided the graphics for the Lastrider.

The AoF team, for the graphics for the Maiden of the Spear, Band Lancer, King's Life Guard, Kirendad Lancer, and Mercenary Crossbowman, as well as for all of the new eyecandy editor objects. Note that these graphics may have additional credits, which can be found in the documentation for The Forgotten expansion.

The African Kingdoms team, who provided the graphics for a House Guardsman, the Atha'an Miere Swordsman and the Raker. Similarly, these graphics may have additional credits, found in the documentation for the African Kingdoms expansion.

Artur Hawkwing for the Legion Crossbowman, Wisdom, and the Red Ajah, Green Ajah, Black Ajah, and Yellow Ajah Aes Sedai units, as well as the AI work.

[This message has been edited by Seonid (edited 07-25-2016 @ 03:10 PM).]

Replies:
posted 01-19-15 10:18 PM CT (US)     421 / 500  
Looking forward to it, will get it sometime.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
Don't be a melodramatic clown. ~Mr Wednesday
posted 01-21-15 02:53 PM CT (US)     422 / 500  
Sweet, MrMew! I hope that everything works out for you. All of my tests worked without crashing, but I'm looking to see if anyone else has problems.
posted 03-27-15 04:20 AM CT (US)     423 / 500  
So I finally got around to downloading the mod. Have only played one game so far, but the AI had an error in the script, and so none of the computer players did anything. They also had no villagers for some reason. I thought the choice of farm cost was interesting and the amount of food they hold, this really messes up a build order . I had a quick look through the editor units and the additions were nice to the eye-candy objects, however I question adding Age of Kings rocks. I'd like to have a multiplayer game with someone to really test out the civs, on gameranger. So far it looks really good! Nicely done! Had no issues with the installer and no crashes, will give more feedback when I have a more in-depth look at the mod.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 03-27-15 04:43 AM CT (US)     424 / 500  
MrMew, we could play a game soon I think. When do you have time? I didn't really test the latest version, so there's plenty left to discover for me I guess.
posted 03-27-15 11:12 AM CT (US)     425 / 500  
I'd offer to test with you, but I'm moving towards finals, and I don't have the time.

When the next update comes out (currently planning on early May, and including a significant graphics update as well as adding at least 1 civ), I'd love to test it with anyone who's interested.
posted 03-27-15 06:23 PM CT (US)     426 / 500  
Sorry for the AI failure. I think Seonid has a working copy now...I know I do (If she does not, I will send my copy immediately).
This weekend I plan to do some work on the AI (and maybe even a new map)...and I look forward to all of your feedback!

Edit: John the Late-Maybe sometime later I could try a multiplayer game...I can't promise anything though.

[This message has been edited by Artur Hawkwing (edited 03-27-2015 @ 06:40 PM).]

posted 03-27-15 07:29 PM CT (US)     427 / 500  
@johnthelate
This weekend probably, do you want me to email you?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 03-28-15 04:14 AM CT (US)     428 / 500  
Hmm, I probably won't see that in time, my email program isn't updating on its own lately. I think you can just make a post here when you know a good time, if Seonid is fine with those off-topic posts.
posted 04-06-15 04:57 PM CT (US)     429 / 500  
You available over the next week john? I have Australian Eastern standard time here so currently anywhere between 10am and 5pm is good. Can do 8:30pm depending on the day. Also how does gameranger detect the mod?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 04-08-15 05:18 PM CT (US)     430 / 500  
The mod is compatible with Gameranger...I know Seonid has used it before.
posted 04-10-15 07:17 AM CT (US)     431 / 500  
Hey sorry MrMew I missed your reply. With university having started again, I mostly have time in the evening or at the weekend. GMT+2 at the moment. I believe the difference to you is 8 hours.

And yes Artur, it works. I tested an earlier version with Seonid over half a year ago.
posted 04-10-15 10:28 AM CT (US)     432 / 500  
There's actually a new AI that Artur Hawkwing sent me. I just opened a test run and it crashed, which is weird because I could have sworn that it worked for me when he first sent it to me...

I'll try reinstalling and see what I can do.
posted 04-11-15 05:23 AM CT (US)     433 / 500  
The Mahdi a Dai AI works fine if it is a little slow (It had like 80 villagers and still hadn't advanced to the first age). What type of AI is it meant to be?
John, I don't think Gameranger can detect the mod, as it has it's own exe now. I haven't been able to get it working yet. Voobly also doesn't support it currently.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 04-18-15 10:41 AM CT (US)     434 / 500  
I have had some errors like this before... All I can say is that it works best on hardest mode, so this is you best bet when plying the AI. The goal is for a feudal age rush with the castles / towers...that obviously failed horribly! One thing I must say: it is only coded to play as Andor or Ghealdan. Because military and advancement (and most building) code is located in civ-specific files, the AI can only make basic buildings and villagers on other civilizations.

I gave the AI restrictions in advancement time at levels moderate and below to create a difference in ability as the difficulty changes, but these fall away at Hard and Hardest difficulties. If you are playing on Hardest the AI is Andor / Ghealdan, then I don't know what to say. My tests on Hardest have gone fairly well, and I am trying to make a new version that advances better.

[This message has been edited by Artur Hawkwing (edited 04-18-2015 @ 10:50 AM).]

posted 07-07-15 03:25 AM CT (US)     435 / 500  
Before advancing to the next age is the player meant to be able to research both policies?

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 07-07-15 03:12 PM CT (US)     436 / 500  
No. Definitely not. I fixed that at one point, but I think it got lost in a reversion due to bugs.
posted 07-28-15 10:01 AM CT (US)     437 / 500  
posted 07-28-15 12:56 PM CT (US)     438 / 500  
Slowly. Real life is crazier than I expected. This summer has been ridiculous. But I've gotten enough building sets to have a unique one per civ now, and I've got enough units to almost give 4 unique unit looks across the board.

Still no progress on adding more civs yet, but that will come with time. It's been long enough since I touched the data file that I need to go through everything again to remind myself what I was doing.

No ideas about any expected updates, though. I might have a graphics only update by the end of the summer, with Mr. Wednesday's new trolloc skins and the new buildings and all the rest.

Artur Hawkwing's got a new AI version out. As soon as I find time to test it, I'll put it in the update too.
posted 08-05-15 08:20 PM CT (US)     439 / 500  
Sounds great. For the new AI, I would love to see any suggestions you have to improve it. I do believe it is better than before (and numerous games of the new versus old AIs seem to affirm this), the only drawback is that I still have to rewrite water map scripts. This AI is a new from-scratch script, so it still lacks the naval capacity of the old one. I hope to add this in, along with anything you all suggest, soon.
posted 04-06-16 07:41 PM CT (US)     440 / 500  
And I think I'm back. Don't expect me around a great deal for the next little while - I graduate from university in 5 weeks, and that's taking up most of my time right now - but anybody who's still interested (if there is anyone left) can consider this official notification of intent to get this mod back off of the ground.

Nothing new is going to be added beyond what has been plotted out - I just intend on finishing the rest of the 11 civilizations (that's 7 left, plus going through the 4 I've got so far to make sure that they're working right). Then I'll release a public finished version which will undergo balance testing. If I get enough feedback, I'll put out a balance patch, and I'll do my best to fix any errors that crop up, but I don't intend on long-term support of the mod. No new features, no graphics replacements (with the exception of the few graphics I'm still looking for), no civilization expansions. Just a finished mod.

If you're excited or interested, and especially if you want to help, let me know!

[This message has been edited by Seonid (edited 04-23-2016 @ 03:11 AM).]

posted 04-07-16 11:17 AM CT (US)     441 / 500  
Good to hear, Seonid, and welcome back!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 04-08-16 11:21 PM CT (US)     442 / 500  
Good luck Seonid! I am very interested to play it. Keep working!

|E)\/
posted 04-16-16 08:25 PM CT (US)     443 / 500  
Sorry for the late reply...I'm still in, as always.

Edit: I have recently been doing more work with Blender, and as a result I make models much faster now. So if you need more models, I can help there as well. (I would have to re-learn Turtle Pack, but that was not the hard part last time anyway.)

[This message has been edited by Artur Hawkwing (edited 04-16-2016 @ 08:31 PM).]

posted 04-23-16 03:11 AM CT (US)     444 / 500  
Welcome back, Artur Hawkwing!

On the models, I might have some work for you. There are two mission-critical models I still need for the mod. If I recall right, I think I asked a couple of designers here if they could do them, so let me get back into contact there first.

Actually, honestly, any channelers you think you could do would be wonderful - all of the channeler graphics I've got in the mod so far are placeholders.

Also, for everyone, since it's been so long since I've posted any updates, I'm going to start showcasing how the mod functions. I'm planning on detailed explanations of the changes - how the new military units function, and are balanced against each other, and showcasing a number of the new graphics. As I've read through the thread, I've realized that most of the information is just outdated - so expect new and exciting stuff here.

I'll also be showcasing the civs, one by one, as I finish them. There are 4 that are (or should be, except for bug fixes) finished at present - that should give me enough of a buffer.

This will also help me remember what exactly I was doing - I still have all my old notes, but I haven't opened AGE3 in a year, and my memory is fuzzy right now. I hope that modding skills come back quickly...
posted 04-24-16 03:23 PM CT (US)     445 / 500  
Sounds great.
I believe you have the latest AI (with Altara). I can start on another civ soon...any suggestions as to which to do next?

Also, for the channelers, are you looking more for Aes Sedai or Asha'man models (from what I have seen, the Asha'man look great, so I imagine making Aes Sedai would be better).
posted 04-25-16 00:56 AM CT (US)     446 / 500  
I do have the Altara AI - though I haven't tested it yet...

The next civ in order of the editor is Tear, so you could start there. I'll get you a list of their bonuses and strategies soon.

On the graphics front, the most critical is the Black Ajah Aes Sedai - I don't even have anything remotely appropriate; I'm using the Missionary as a (very awful) placeholder. I don't remember if Mr. Wednesday was thinking of putting that together or not. (The other critical one is the torm rider, but he did express interest in it. I don't know if he still has time to even think about helping at the moment, though.)

The other major graphic would be the Healer - right now, it's the Monk, but that just isn't useful. I could really use a female healer graphic.

Right now, the biggest issues I face with channeler graphics is that so many are the same. I love the Asha'man graphics I've got, but I'm using the same graphics for Soldiers, Dedicated, and full Asha'man, as well as for the Dreadlord. I don't have a separate graphic for the Kinswoman, either. For the others, neither the damane nor the Red Ajah graphic actually have player colors, and the Green Ajah graphic is the least satisfying of all of them.

So really, take your pick out of all of the potential issues here, and whichever one strikes your interest, go for it.

[This message has been edited by Seonid (edited 04-25-2016 @ 01:58 AM).]

posted 04-25-16 01:41 AM CT (US)     447 / 500  
Here is the first of a series of posts exploring the new features of Wheel of Time: End of the Third Age. (In case anyone is wondering, the preferred abbreviation is ETA. Much easier to say than the official title ) This one will cover the economy.

Economy
The economy changes in ETA are evident from the very beginning of a random map game. From the start, Sheep are available to be trained from the Mill. They cost 20 food and 10 gold, and have 125 food available. These offer an important boost to an early game food economy, and remain important well into the mid-game, due to a major change to farms.

Farms are now significantly more expensive, costing 300 wood. They also last significantly longer, with 4175 food available in the first age. The significant investment required to actually start farming means that sheep from the Mill will be a primary source of food until a significant wood economy is maintained. However, this also means that stealing an opponents farms is much more valuable than before (also, sheep raiding could become a thing, though I don't know how well it would work out in practice).

The farm upgrade technologies have been altered as well to cause farmers to work faster, instead of adding more food to the farm, with the exception of Crop Rotation. That technology now adds 50% to the amount of food a farm produces, extending their lifespan even further.

In the 2nd Age, Cows can be trained as well as Sheep, again from the Mill. These cost only 25 gold - more expensive than a Sheep, but with 250 food, they are a much better investment. Also, two technologies to improve the gathering rate of shepherds have been added to the Mill. This should make shepherding remain competitive as a source of food later in the game.

Market technologies have had small changes as well. In addition to sharing LOS with your allies, Cartography now gives all of your units +2 LOS. The cost remains 50F and 50G, unlike a number of other mods or expansions that have made it free or nearly free. Banking and Coinage keep their regular effect, but each of them now causes gold mines to last 10% longer. This means that they are useful even in a single-player game. To reflect the increased utility, the cost of Coinage has changed to 100F and 150G and Banking to 250F and 350G. Guilds has been moved to a new building, the Warehouse, but remains unchanged.

The Warehouse is available starting in the 2nd Age, and replaces the Monastery. In addition to Guilds, a number of new economic technologies are available there. Food Preservation makes food resources last 10% longer, mirroring the Mayan resource bonus from AoC. Similarly, Woodworking and Stoneworking do the same for the other resources. In the 3rd Age, Grain Shipments, Lumberyards, and Quarries give their respective resources a further 10% boost.

The Warehouse also serves as the drop-off point for Ancient Relics (which function nearly the same as Relics from AoC). From there, you can research Relic Displays for 200F and 200G, which causes Ancient Relics to generate gold when stored in a Warehouse. In the 3rd Age, Museums - 350F and 350G - cause them to produce 20% faster, and Ter'angreal in the 4th Age adds another 20% on top of that. After researching Ter'angreal, 3 powerful technologies are unlocked. The first, Tel'aran'rhiod, reduces the cost of Spymasters (the reskinned Spies/Treason tech) by 50% and gives all your units +4 LOS, for 500F and 500G. The second, Weave Resistance, gives all of your units resistance against channeling attacks (both resistance to conversion, and a hidden armor boost against the powerful channeler units available in the late game). This tech costs 700F and 1000G. The last, Warding Ter'angreal, makes Food, Wood, and Stone resources last 25% longer, and costs 800F and 450G.

A few changes have been made in the Town Center as well. Sappers has been moved there, and now requires Loom as a prerequisite. It has also become a little more valuable, because Stone and Fortified Walls are now extremely resistant to non-siege weapons. Herbal Medicine has also been moved to the TC, and now unlocks the Healer - a unit which acts like a Monk, except that it cannot convert other units. It does heal your own units, and still picks up Ancient Relics. Finally, a new line of techs has been added that allow you to increase the population of your civilization. Noble Houses and Provincial Jurisdiction each add 25 to your population cap, and Imperial Bureaucracy adds 50, for a total of 100 pop cap added.

In the Fortified Manor - which replaces the Castle for most civilizations - you can now research Centralized Taxation, which causes your gold mines to last 20% longer and reduces the cost of the powerful noble cavalry and heavy infantry units by 10%. In the 4th Age, Progressive Taxation adds a further 20% longevity to your mines, and another 10% cost reduction to noble units.

That's all for today's update! Stay tuned for the next one, which will cover how the new Age system works, and cover a number of new technologies.
posted 04-25-16 06:01 AM CT (US)     448 / 500  
I went through all the land units in the editor to check for graphic bugs and I made a list.

Unit name - Graphic that is bugged
Last Rider - corpse
Lance - walking
Kings Lifeguard - corpse
Guardian of the Gate - corpse
Winged Guard - attack & corpse
Whitecloak Bowman - corpse
Mercenary Swordsman - corpse
Siege Tower - corpse
Mercenary Cavalry - corpse
Inquisitor - corpse
House Guardsman - corpse
Borderland Cavalry - corpse
Horse Archer - corpse
Band Lancer - corpse

Most of the corpse graphics are missing, some however are just the wrong unit graphic (Band Lancer for example). Most are missing though.

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 04-25-16 01:29 PM CT (US)     449 / 500  
MrMew, that's amazing! Thank you so much for your help. Out of curiosity, were you ever able to get the mod running on Gameranger with John the Late? (Speaking of him, is he still around these parts?)

Next up - because writing about ETA is more interesting than physics lab reports or Arabic homework, here's the second installment of the ETA preview series.

Age Advancement
Advancing through the ages has been significantly changed in ETA. The ages represent increasing levels of infrastructure for your civilization - not necessarily time periods. The intention is to be able to set a scenario in any time period between the War of the Hundred Years and the beginning of the novels, and to be able to use any of the first 3 Ages for any civilization. Much of the 4th Age is explicitly linked to events and factions that arise in the novels, but a few of the options (White Tower Politics, Domination of the Shadow, Dark Oaths, and Whitecloak Support) are universal enough that they could find their way into any scenario.

During the course of a standard Random Map game, your civilization will advance from a Noble House to a Kingdom, a Nation, and will eventually become aligned with an Empire. As in regular AoC, to advance to a new Age you must build two buildings from your current Age (though, as in Age of Chivalry, some buildings are available earlier than the Age they count for). However, for each age, you must also research a prerequisite technology, which will unlock new options for your new Age.

To advance from a Noble House to a Kingdom, you must research a policy technology. Most civilizations have access to only one - Feudal Oaths, which unlocks the standard set of advanced units for your civ. However, three civs - Andor, Amadicia, and Tarabon - can research alternate policy techs if they so desire, which set their civ on a unique tech path (details will be found in the civ previews for these civilizations).

To advance from a Kingdom to a Nation, you must research a faction technology. These are unique to your civilization (with one exception, which is shared between Tarabon and Arad Doman), and generally unlock unique units or give impressive bonuses to certain unit-lines. Most civilizations have two factions to choose between, and your choice will have significant impact on the way you play your game. Each faction technology also unlocks 3 unique technologies (Unique is a misleading term - some unique techs are shared across multiple civilization), with widely varying effects.

To advance from a Nation to an Empire, you must research an allegiance technology. There are 13 of these in the game, but each civilization will only have 3 or 4 they can choose from - which 3 or 4 are available depends on which faction tech you chose for the 3rd Age. These allegiance techs give you access to powerful allied units that can significantly change the balance of power in a game.

Researching a policy, faction, or allegiance tech takes exactly as long as researching the Feudal, Castle, or Imperial Age did in AoC. When you research one of these techs, however, you don't immediately get the bonuses - these wait until after you have aged up. To balance this, researching an Age tech now happens almost immediately. So, all of the research time goes into the prerequisite instead of the Age tech. This also means that you can stop in the middle of a faction tech and pick the other one if you have a change of heart (not recommended for competitive gaming :P).

Other Technology Changes
Some other changes have been made to the technology tree. A number of technologies have been moved to new locations. Bloodlines and Husbandry are now researched from the Mill, while Tracking, Squires, Conscription, and Parthian Tactics now find themselves in a new building - the Military Academy.

The Academy is the go-to place for all military upgrades. In addition to the four technologies just mentioned, there are stat-boosting techs for light cavalry, medium cavalry and lancers, cavalry archers, archers and skirmishers, gunpowder units, and polearms. There are also a few unit-line upgrades available here.

The Hoardings technology has been moved to the Library (the renamed University), where it now requires Murder Holes as a prerequisite. In addition to its current bonus, it also gives +1 range to all defensive buildings. The new technology Master Engineers is also available here, which boosts the range and building damage of siege weapons. It requires Siege Engineers as a prerequisite.

The last set of technologies to have significant changes is the Blacksmith. A number of unit-line upgrades and enabling researches have been moved here. In addition, there are now 6 different armor lines: light infantry and archers, medium infantry, heavy infantry, light cavalry, medium cavalry, and heavy cavalry.

They all have differing bonuses - a FU light infantry has +3/+3P armor, while a FU heavy cavalry has +5/+6P! Finally, the new technology Fire Arrows gives your archers a passive +1 attack boost, and lets them do bonus damage to buildings and siege weapons.

That's all for today - I hope you enjoyed this installment in our preview series. Tune in next time for an overview of the new military features in ETA.
posted 04-26-16 02:00 AM CT (US)     450 / 500  
Nah never got a game online. I tested the naval units and the heroes that I guess are from the Wheel of Time. All of the following had issues with the corpse graphics:

Warship
Roland
Wolf guard
Master of the Templar (pretty sure this is AoC)
Duke Allecon
HEROF
Alexander Nevoski
Hopper
HFORZA

Time of Tea
Still in the Dark Age
posted 04-26-16 03:23 AM CT (US)     451 / 500  
Sorry to hear that, MrMew. Thanks for testing the other units as well. The heroes I expect to be broken - if only because I cannibalized a lot of the dead hero graphics for other units. Warships having problems is an odd bug. I'll look into it. I actually don't have any Wheel of Time specific heroes yet - though I will, eventually.

Alright. Here is the last of the general preview articles for ETA, and also (coincidence? I think not!) the last preview I will post until next week, after I have finished all of my homework. (the last homework of my undergraduate career!)

This article is on the new military structure, and I am excited to talk about it today! This is probably my favorite part of the mod - after all, nobody plays Age of Empires in order to run a sweet economy, right?

Military
Like with the new economic features, ETA's change in military action is noticeable from the beginning of a game. Upon building a Levy Hall (ETA's Age 1 Barracks), you can train Town Militia for 50 food. Town Militia have the stats of an AoK Militia, and are rather unremarkable except that they cost no gold. In addition, you can research the tech War Training for 100F and 40G, which upgrades the Town Militia to Levy Militia, which are statted like M@A, and still cost no gold. The tech also unlocks Levy Spearmen, which act as AoC spearmen, and enables you to build Bowyers and Horse Stalls.

In the Bowyer, you can immediately train Bowmen and Javelineers. The Horse Stall lets you train Scouts and Levy Cavalry - a light cavalry with a relatively high attack, but a vulnerability to ranged attacks. It costs 60F and 15G, but has a small attack bonus vs. swordsmen (and axemen).

This is the balance of the First Age. Swordsmen, spearmen, archers, skirmishers, scouts, and a more powerful cavalry unit. More than enough options to field a diverse military force for an early rush or a town defense. With the exception of Bowmen and Levy Cavalry, you can field any of these units without gold, making an early military presence easier to sustain.

In the second age, the changes become more pronounced. Once you build a Fortified Manor (a powerful defensive building), you can upgrade your Levy Hall to a Barracks, your Bowyer to an Archery Range, and your Horse Stall to a Stable. From these upgraded buildings, you can build more powerful units.

In addition to all of the levy infantry choices from the first age, the Barracks immediately lets you build Footmen - 60F, 20G, and the stats of an AoK Longswordsmen. They are kind of niche, but they are useful for razing an enemy town or cutting open a squad of spears so your cavalry can get inside. They also have an attack bonus vs. buildings and an extra attack bonus vs. gates - especially useful because of the changes to walls.

All Stone and Fortified Walls now take only 1 point of damage from non-siege weapon attacks. (Except for villagers with Sappers, which bypass this restriction - use them as a surprise weapon). Gates are the exception here - they take melee damage like normal buildings (though they are still resistant to archery - like all buildings).

To counter these nearly impenetrable walls, the Siege Workshop is available in the 2nd Age, after building a Blacksmith. From it, you can train Battering Rams to breach enemy walls (or you could just force the gates open with Footmen).

From the Blacksmith, you can research War Axe - which enables Axemen (55F 25G). These armored infantry have a significant attack bonus against other foot soldiers, especially spearmen. They are slow, and vulnerable to archery and especially vulnerable to cavalry charges, but should be employed for anti-pikemen duties.

Also at the Blacksmith is the Pike research - enabling Pikemen (35F 25W 10G). These are much better at standing up to cavalry than Levy Spearmen, but the gold cost makes them not quite trash units.

All polearm-wielding units now have range. For spears, bills, and halberds, the range is 0.3 units. This is enough for two ranks of infantry to attack together. For pikes, the range increases to 0.5 units, and later research can extend it even further. Range 1 Pikemen absolutely murder cavalry, and are powerful choices against other foot soldiers.

After researching Archer Training from the Military Academy, your Bowmen upgrade to Archers. Archers have a low attack but a high rate of fire. Against lightly armored units, they are extremely effective. Skirmisher training in the Academy upgrades your Javelineers to Skirmishers, providing a counter to enemy archery. In the Blacksmith, you can research Crossbows. Crossbowmen have a much higher attack and a longer range than archers, but also have a much higher reload time. The powerful attack makes them excellent against armored targets, but they can be easily overwhelmed by a horde of lighter units.

For your Stable units, Scouts can be upgraded to Light Cavalry from the Academy. These will generally supplant Levy Cavalry for raiding duty, because they are armored against archers and cost no gold (and are nearly as powerful, though not quite so sturdy). Armsmen can also be trained here - with stats like AoC Knights, they are a potent force on the battlefield.

The last set of units that can be trained in the 2nd Age comes from the Fortified Manor. From there, you may train Nobles - heavily armored cavalry with strong pierce armor and a resistance to pikes - and Retainers - which are essentially Huskarls. These powerful units are expensive, but can be a battlefield-changing presence.

In the 3rd Age, the units from the 2nd Age have new upgrades available. Footmen can upgrade to Halberdiers, which have a small attack bonus against both infantry and cavalry, and ignore the extra armor of heavy cavalry/infantry. Crossbowmen begin to eclipse Archers in terms of damage potential as pierce armor improves. Nobles upgrade to Lords, becoming the most powerful generally available unit on the battlefield, and Retainers upgrade to House Guardsmen. Pikemen increase in strength, and Armsmen gain boosts to their HP and damage to remain competetive. A number of civilizations gain access to the Armsman Lancer, a powerful medium cavalry with resistance to pikes and a large attack bonus against infantry. Basically, a Cataphract. With 0.3 range of their own, these lance cavalry can compensate well against pikemen. Cavalry Archers also become available to a number of civs.

Unique units make the 3rd Age extremely diverse, with options ranging from the Queen's Guard of Andor (lancers with an anti-cavalry bonus) to Tear's Defenders of the Stone (heavily armored and powerful halberdiers) and any number of intermediate stops.

The 4th Age opens up new and exciting options. Gunpowder units make their appearance, as well as powerful ally units gained from your choice of allegiance tech (those will be gone over in more detail later). Perhaps the most impressive new units available are the channelers. These are powerful magic users - many of which have large area of effect attacks, allowing them to decimate entire armies. They are correspondingly expensive, and require 3 population cap apiece.

The last military feature of ETA I'm going to talk about today is the water combat. Starting in the 2nd Age, you can build Galleys. These are weak, fast ships that have a large line of sight and a decent range. You can also build boarding galleys - these function as Fire Ships from AoK (although they fire multiple arrows like a Longboat instead of the fire projectile). In the 3rd Age, Galleys can upgrade to Raiding Ships, which are kind of like the Light Cavalry of the seas. Boarding Galleys upgrade to Armored Boarding Galleys. These are slightly faster (though still slow compared to Raiding Ships and Galleys), and more heavily armored. You can also train War Galleys - large, slow vessels with a powerful attack and a long range. These act like a cross between Cannon Galleons and Scorpions (they do have an area effect attack, so they can be useful for bombarding shore formations). They are countered by Boarding Galleys, but counter Raiding Ships well (though not cost-effectively yet). In the 4th Age, War Galleys can upgrade to Warships, which are extremely powerful and well-armored against ranged attacks. In addition, civs with access to gunpowder can build Dragon Warships, which function as Cannon Galleons - with powerful siege attacks against shore emplacements, but not especially useful against other ships.

This is the end of the general introduction series to ETA. After I graduate, I'll start posting civ previews, going into more detail on faction and allegiance technologies. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I might even have time to answer between now and when I graduate (about 2 weeks).

[This message has been edited by Seonid (edited 04-26-2016 @ 03:25 AM).]

posted 04-30-16 08:27 PM CT (US)     452 / 500  
I'll start of the female healer--I plan to have it look similar to a Yellow Ajah Aes Sedai (yellow shawl) with a dynamically colored dress.

For the Black Ajah, do you want it on a horse or on foot?
Thanks!

Edit: Here's the image. I may not get to animation today, but I wanted to be sure that this was what you wanted to see.

[This message has been edited by Artur Hawkwing (edited 05-01-2016 @ 11:26 AM).]

posted 05-03-16 08:58 AM CT (US)     453 / 500  
I finished my first read-through of the Wheel of Time this January. Or was it February. My favourite book series of 2015 and 2016 and my current favourite as well. I loved it!

I'm really eager for this mod. Even though I don't play Age of Empires that much anymore.

All Avatar Credits Go To ChaoyuanXu
posted 05-03-16 01:00 PM CT (US)     454 / 500  
Alright - I talked to Mr. Wednesday, and he isn't going to be able to do the torm lancer, so that one's on the table to do also.

The Black Ajah should be a mounted unit.

That healer looks just about like what I was looking for.

Thanks for the support, Cadeyrn! There's an old beta test version in the Blacksmith - it's only got 4 civs, and a number of the graphics are out of date, but all of the features are there. Try it out, if you like!
posted 05-06-16 02:50 AM CT (US)     455 / 500  
Whew! Finished with all of my lab reports. One more test, and I'm done with undergraduate work forever! (Not counting my senior project - which I'm doing this summer).

So, I've been thinking a bit about graphics. I realized that I really don't need a torm lancer graphic. While it would be nice to include some more of the Seanchan exotics, it is by no means necessary. A horse-riding lancer could perform just as well.

Similarly, I'm wondering just how important a mounted Black Ajah graphic is. I'm beginning to think that Black Ajah Aes Sedai might be better done as an upgrade to the Healer. Auto-research conversion, and we still get the only converting unit in the game.

So far, that is. I'm considering adding the missionary - as is! - to the Whitecloak faction of Amadicia. It would give them a little bit of a competitive edge compared with everyone who gets all of these channeler units.

I'm undecided on these changes, so I'd like to hear various opinions on it.
« Previous Page  1 ··· 11 12 13 14 15  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Mod Design and Discussion » Project - The Wheel of Time: End of the Third Age
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames