Town's Crier
Moderated by Major Helper

Hop to:    
loginhomeregisterhelprules
Bottom
Topic Subject: DOTA 2 Mafia Game Thread
« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
posted 03-16-15 08:33 AM CT (US)   

Players from around the world filed into the lobby, and were randomly given a character, and a team, to play as. After confirming this selection, they hit the "Enter Battle" button.

Rules
I reserve the right to not respond to any questions.

Quoting your role email is acceptable.

Please do not use my words as arguments in game. If someone says I said something outside this game thread, they're probably lying. Probably.

Dead men tell no tales.

This thread is closed communication.

If you are part of a discussion thread, please send me any questions/night actions you have in a separate email from the discussion thread, preferably to the tune of DOTA Mafia Questions/Night # actions. I will be able to sort them more effectively this way.

Special:
Scum have been told that since this is a game where no one but the host knows the flavor, the scum are allowed to come up with the fake role they want to claim, and the host will dig up a safe flavor claim consistent with said fake role claim. (But he will not alter their real action to allow them to prove their claim.

In Battle:
6. Sarn-Wraith King-One-shot self-revive
8. Dwho-Winter Wyvern-Jailer
9. Croboss-Slark-Miller Role thief
11.Mithril-Invoker-Giver

Back at Base:
3. Erskine Ravel-Dragon Knight-Alignment Cop
4. Popey-Crystal Maiden-Freezer
1. Dev-Abaddon-Shielder
2. Regan-Bounty Hunter-Tracker

Ganked:
5. Carol-Enchantress-Mafia Godmother
10. Matt-Terrorblade-Mafia Mirrorer

7. Herr-Silencer-Serial Killer

Replacements:
Erskine Ravel

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-26-2015 @ 04:20 PM).]

Replies:
posted 03-25-15 01:57 PM CT (US)     201 / 246  
Popey targeted Sarn.

Since Matt basically just confirmed Sarn as scum in Post 173 I think Doctor Who should lock Sarn and I'll track DW to prove him.

Vote: MrWednesday

Probably shouldn't have anymore votes until Croboss responds.

Also Excel, check your email.

......▄▄██▌█
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█
███████▌█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ )¬,|¯ (¬ /-\ |\| |/¬ |\| | (¬ |-| --|--
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀ You're gonna eat lightnin'and you're gonna crap thunder. - Mickey Goldmill from Rockey II
posted 03-25-15 02:01 PM CT (US)     202 / 246  
Edited 03-25-2015 01:25 PM by D0ct0r Wh0
Original Message:
I did not know there would be another freezer. Fascinating.

I still claim Winter Wyvern gaoler.

I wonder who killed Popey, then? I'm sure I gaoled Matty.

Oh, yes, BTW, since we agreed to it (right?):

VOTE: Matty

Member of BlackForest Studios
Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
and The Seas of Egressa (4.8) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2010
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 03-25-15 02:01 PM CT (US)     203 / 246  
Regan, first of all, don't listen to anything Matt said in the night. He assumes I was giving him legit info, while in reality I was trying to re-stabilize the game.

If you understood the context of that quote, you would understand that I was telling Matt that his plan was not fool-proof, and to not get mad at me if bad luck like Night 0 happened again. I gave him no info as to what that role was, nor as to Sarn's alignment. I was merely sparing myself the headache of listening to scum complaining again about how unfair they thought the setup was.

And, I replied to your email about five minutes ago.

"It looks like a huge shark just took a bite out of Excelsior's ass"-Colonel Kyle Riggs, Star Force: Storm Assault
posted 03-25-15 02:42 PM CT (US)     204 / 246  
Regan, first of all, don't listen to anything Matt said in the night. He assumes I was giving him legit info, while in reality I was trying to re-stabilize the game.
I understand that, but given his past play I think he deserves some looking at.
And, I replied to your email about five minutes ago.
Thanks, must not have caught that.

Also, Herr I'd prefer you not protect me tonight, protect anyone you deem necessary.

Still I want DW to target Sarn and I'll track DW.

......▄▄██▌█
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█
▀(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀▀(@)(@)▀▀▀▀▀▀ You're gonna eat lightnin'and you're gonna crap thunder. - Mickey Goldmill from Rockey II
posted 03-25-15 02:52 PM CT (US)     205 / 246  
To be honest I still sus Devestator a bit, given some of the interaction we've already had. I'd like to freeze him, and you can go ahead and track me, Reagan, if you'd like.

...[T]he least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold. -Aristotle, De Caelo

On the lips of the catechist the first proclamation must ring out over and over: “Jesus Christ loves you; he gave his life to save you; and now he is living at your side every day to enlighten, strengthen and free you.” - Pope Francis, The Joy of the Gospel

Call me out if I fail or seem to fail to live up to either of these. Either I will learn something, you will learn something, or we both will.
posted 03-25-15 03:13 PM CT (US)     206 / 246  
I want to hear from Croboss before anyone else votes.
To be honest I still sus Devestator a bit, given some of the interaction we've already had. I'd like to freeze him
I object.

Herr can protect who he likes, but I'd prefer it if he does either Croboss or Regan.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

Proud Member of BlackForestStudios
My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 03-25-15 03:15 PM CT (US)     207 / 246  
Herr can protect who he likes, but I'd prefer it if he does either Croboss or Regan.
Actually, screw that. Croboss or Regan it is.

D E V A S T A T O R
Paradise Lost ~ Scored 1st in the ACSC12! ~ Voted Best Cinematic Scenario of 2013 ~ Official Rating: 4.7
Demon Town ~ Scored 1st in the HHC11! ~ "...as unique as an AoK scenario can get." - Panel ~ Official Rating: 4.2

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 03-25-15 03:27 PM CT (US)     208 / 246  
Regan, did you receive something last night?

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-25-15 03:36 PM CT (US)     209 / 246  
Yeah, Popey -> Sarn.

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 03-25-15 06:12 PM CT (US)     210 / 246  
That's not what I meant, I'm asking if he got something else, I targeted him last night, he should've received something other than his results. Perhaps I should've worded it better.

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-25-15 07:55 PM CT (US)     211 / 246  
Yes Mithril, I received something, do you send it to me?
No. Herr I strongly suggest you do not protect me. I'll be fine, protect croboss.

Also DW what makes you suspicious of Dev.

......▄▄██▌█
▄▄▄▌▐██▌█
posted 03-26-15 05:38 AM CT (US)     212 / 246  
posted 03-26-15 08:36 AM CT (US)     213 / 246  
Vote Count:
Matt: 4 (Herr, DWho, Regan, Croatian)

With 8 players alive, 5 votes are required to lynch.

posted 03-26-15 10:03 AM CT (US)     214 / 246  
Interesting. Either Herrr or Croboss is lying then. I suspect it's Croboss. I am also certain that there is at least one scum between Croboss and Doctor Who.

I want Regan to track either Croboss or Herr.
Croboss will use the kill he got from CK on Doctor Who.
If Doctor Who's claim is true, he will freeze Sarn.
Herr will protect either Regan (probably not since Regan didn't want that), himself or Mithril.

This is the Night Plan. I advise you all to follow it.

Vote: Matt

D E V A S T A T O R

My AoE2 Youtube Channel
posted 03-26-15 10:13 AM CT (US)     215 / 246  
After having technically resigned, Terrorblade still needed tracked down. Town did so.

Mr. Wednesday, playing as Terrorblade, has been lynched. He was a mafia mirrorer, who could redirect a player's action back at themselves.

The Dire Mafia is defeated.

It is now Night 2. Please send in your actions.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-26-2015 @ 02:14 PM).]

posted 03-26-15 01:55 PM CT (US)     216 / 246  
Is the faction eliminated yet?

►►►►Mithril Knight◄◄◄◄
My Works
¡Viva México!
My Coat of Arms
posted 03-26-15 02:14 PM CT (US)     217 / 246  
Fixed.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-26-2015 @ 04:17 PM).]

posted 03-26-15 04:17 PM CT (US)     218 / 246  
The night was filled with explosions and screams. Abaddon, Lord of Avernus, had been busy, sowing the field with explosive shields, carefully protecting those he felt were valuable. Unfortunately, there was a mole in their midst, but even this mole had no clue of the destructive powers wielded by the dark lord.

Herr, playing as Silencer, has been killed. He was a ghost Serial Roleblocker, who could attempt to kill his target if they failed to send in an action, or if they were roleblocked twice. He could exchange his ghost status for the ability to always attempt to kill.

Devestator, playing as Abaddon, has been killed. He was a shielder, who placed explosive shields around his target that blew up the first person (besides Dev or the target) that targeted the target.

Regan, playing as Bounty Hunter, has been killed. He was a tracker.

Town [Devestator, Reganknight, Erskine Ravel, Croatian Boss, Popeychops, Doctor Who, Sarn, Mithril Knight} wins!

Bonus wins: Mr. Wednesday

Everyone did well though. Roles, then actions soon. Actions may be tomorrow.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-26-2015 @ 04:26 PM).]

posted 03-26-15 04:24 PM CT (US)     219 / 246  
This will contain each role and my intentions for each.

Herr-Silencer
Ghost Serial Roleblocker

Herr's action was a roleblock that added a kill if it's target did not send in an action, or was roleblocked twice. He was allowed to trade in his ghost status for the opportunity to have his kill apply regardless of actions.

Herr was supposed to be unkillable by the mirrorer. He was also supposed to be able to power through the self-protecting jailers, but not the mine layer or protected players. I figured allowing him to always attempt a kill was a good alternative, considering he was serial.

As town had two protective roles in the jailers, a bug deterrant, and three investigatives, with a faith iron, I figured town would realize that doctor could just possibly be a scum safe claim, especially as Herr would not be able to protect in actuality. Once he used his fake claim, he then became vulnerable to Croatian as well.

Mafia-
Matt-Mirrorer

Matt was not supposed to be tracked to a failed kill. He was supposed to be used to clear the waters for Carol's kill, and confuse the town investigators. But, his mirror made it where the mafia could not roleblock and kill the jailers on the same night.

Carol-Untouchable Hitman
Carol was supposed to be safe against the serial killer, and all the investigative roles but Croatian. He was also supposed to be un-roleblockable, giving him a higher chance to kill.

Investigators:
Erskine-Cop
Erskine was supposed to be a clue as to the setup, with a faith iron. This was because I knew he would be targeted for kills as soon as he claimed, and with no docs, I felt he needed some help. He was only supposed to catch Matt.

Regan-Tracker
Regan was only supposed to be able to catch Herr.

Croatian-Miller Role thief
Role Thief was supposed to be the weakest role. Instead of receiving role names, he received one-shots (and duds at that) as a way of still allowing scum to claim vig or something as an out. Really, I expected to use this thief role as a possible mislynch. My goal with the game was to find someway to make town rely on analyzing behavior without night actions helping them out much, since each investigative role was only supposed to be good against one scum. Role Thief was also immune to Carol's untouchable skill and Dev's shield bombs.

Protections:
Popey-Freezer

DWho-Jailer

Dev-Shielder
Every night, Dev could target one player and place a two-night shield on them. This shield explodes the first person to target that person afterwards, except Dev or the original target.
Dev was supposed to be more of a deterrant, rather than an actual action. He was supposed to claim what he could do, and then balance the need to leave town free to work, and the need to ratchet down on scum. By careful playing, he would only need to use his role once or twice in the game. This is also why a full-vig would have been believable in this game; I don't expect them to use their role more than an x-shot would.

Misc:
Mithril: Giver
He gives actions to players, depending on their flavor.

Sarn-One-shot Self-revive
Another mislynchable role, Sarn starts out town, and I originally intended for him to be uninformed. However, I decided this might not be fair, and revealed that, if he is lynched, he immediately revives as a serial killer, though I left out the part where he joins Herr, leading him to think he was the only serial killer. If night killed, he becomes full town vig.

The idea was to punish scum if they kill him, and reward them if they successfully talk town into lynching him during the day.

Meta:
My intentions for this game would be to have a number of conflicting roleblocking roles. Hopefully, with Carol's being unroleblockable, this would allow scum to kill and there to still be a lot of confusion.

Secondly, the multiple protects were my excuse for having a scum doc in the game; I wanted to have a role that seriously challenged town's tendency to metagame about "I claimed this, thus I'm confirmed" roles. Unfortunately, Herr has played a smart sk and is relying on his doc claim too much; I expected the SK to use his safety to try and control town. I really should have expected him to lurk, although to his credit, he is busy.

The investigatives were supposed to be useful against only one scum each.

I realize this setup may not have been balanced, and I apologize for that. I built it with 2 scum and 1 sk because I was told that in a 10-11 player game, 2 and 1, or just 3 scum were balanced, and I wanted at least an sk.

[This message has been edited by Excelsior (edited 03-26-2015 @ 04:25 PM).]

posted 03-26-15 04:25 PM CT (US)     220 / 246  
Ugh, was I killed by somebody or just the bombs?

@Thymole -Next time, if you need to buff a role, make it stone or something. Don't make it ghost after the alignment cop has been killed.

Good try everyone.

"Chaos is a ladder." - Petyr Middlefinger

"I love it when Heir is scum and knows he's been rumbled, he goes a bit mad."- Newt_Gunray

"And on that day my respect for Herr grew four fold" - SirDante
posted 03-26-15 04:27 PM CT (US)     221 / 246  
I gave your role ghost, and that was before any night actions were rolling in.

Yes, you got bombed.

posted 03-26-15 05:02 PM CT (US)     222 / 246  
Town roles were too strong. You tried to balance for this by making the scum have mind-screw abilities. I feel that this game warranted a fourth scum, either 3+1 or 2+2. A single four-man mafia would have been too much. Alternative, you could keep the numbers as they are, give the scum more traditional roles, and weaken the town roles.

You can see that we made it to the end with four town remaining, having never mislynched. Had we not found scum so readily, the town would have been in trouble. We were fortunate that the nights went our way.

Sarn's role is not fair. Alignment switching is bad form, it means that a player can unknowingly play against their final win condition.

I don't think allowing players to target multiple people in one night is fair. I don't usually allow players to use more than one action in a night: That's what a motivator is for. I usually combine actions into one (like my role in this game did), if I want a player to do multiple things. Otherwise, as for roles such as Matt, it's not fair to allow him to use both his action and his kill on two separate people. You're defeating the ability of the town to plan to protect their assets for the night.

You responded to CK's confessions quite badly. I wanted to explain to you so that you knew exactly what I knew: so that you couldn't accuse me of cheating when CK inevitably came clean in the thread. I didn't expect you to go crazy and start telling the scum how to beat the town. That's not fair. It was CK's mistake, he should have suffered for it. If the town gain, so what? That's the point of mafia.

Co-creator of Silent Evil (4.6) Voted Best Multiplayer Scenario of 2009 (Most Fave'd Multiplayer Scenario)
"Popey just hates everywhere." - Chocolate Jesus, on my fear of Romanian organ-traffickers
"Hooray for Dear Leader-Comrade-Generalissimo-Presidente-Lord Protector Popey!" - Lord Sipia, on my benevolent, iron-fisted rule
"You're not Popeychops; you don't get to physics." - Moff, in response to a clumsy muon simile
posted 03-26-15 05:21 PM CT (US)     223 / 246  
I think it would have been ok if cro had a different role.

It was effectively a rolecop.

Carol was the real reason the mafia fell apart.

I had guessed a mafia win beforehand.

[This message has been edited by THYMOLE (edited 03-26-2015 @ 05:22 PM).]

posted 03-26-15 05:41 PM CT (US)     224 / 246  
the mafia was shafted the moment there was a reasonable doubt about both of our towny-ness due to night actions.

Proud owner of Splash Splash XLIV: Leave it there for someone to find, Which is on record for being the fastest thread to reach 2500 posts - which was completed in 28 hours and 17 minutes, from start to finish!
Yeah, the republican party is pretty much one big schizophrenic ball of contradictions nowadays. - Ax_man1
double post for milestone, then relentlessly bash on the community for the hell of it... stay classy thymole. - Lurker
posted 03-26-15 05:44 PM CT (US)     225 / 246  
Sure, if you ignore the fact that Dev and I had both twigged that Carol was scum, and spent the day debating which of Matt and carol was the more certain scum. Carol confirmed what I already knew and what Dev already suspected. And we were the most active players along with Matt.

This game was done once Croboss brought forward his information. He did well.

« Previous Page  1 ··· 7 8 9 10  Next Page »
Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Town's Crier » DOTA 2 Mafia Game Thread
You must be logged in to post messages.
Please login or register
Hop to:    
Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames