« Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
posted 02-12-14 00:23 AM CT (US)   

"Like a rotten log
half buried in the ground -
my life,
which has not flowered,
comes to this sad end."

- Minamoto Yorimasa (1106-1180)

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RELEASED!
Download on Steam
Download on AoK Heaven Blacksmith
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Haiku noun-kü\: a poetic form of 17 on (syllables) which expresses much and suggests more in the fewest possible words; the essence of haiku is kiru (cutting): a juxtaposition of two images linked by a kireji (cutting word)

Ronin nounnin\: a masterless samurai; a 'wave man'; a wandering man; a man adrift

Go on a journey to Edo period Japan in the straw sandals of a Ronin seeking a master. Discover kireji to write seven haiku. These seven poems will tell your story. Are your kireji sharper than your katana?

An AoE II HD Forgotten Empires campaign.
Story Snippet

Disgrace.

Disgrace is a kimono unstained with blood. Disgrace is a dry tanto blade. Disgrace is a ronin.

His master died seven years ago but the Ronin chose not to honor his master with a final act of obedience. His devotion was hollow, his honor was stained. In betraying the Bushido Shoshinshu, the Ronin condemned himself to that most empty life for a samurai: a life without a master.

So the Ronin wandered the land of the rising sun for seven years, adrift like a boat without a fisherman on Lake Biwa. His journey would bring him here to another kindred wanderer, the poet Matsuo Basho. On quiet rainy mornings in the garden of their secluded shrine. On sunny afternoons in the shade of the osakazuki maple. And on warm evenings in Basho's sukiya, place for poetic pursuits, over thick matcha tea, the two lonely spirits traded experiences and lines of poetry with the vigor of the shrewdest merchants of Nagasaki. It was Basho's spirited teachings that brought forth a new dawn out of the Ronin's winter sunset. It was Basho who taught the Ronin to see the poetry in life.

And so one day, as the songbird's melody rode a soft summer breeze, the Ronin emerged from his hermitage and set out again onto the world. He would regain his honor. He would find a master. He would write a new life.
Setting

The poem begins on a secluded coast in a region of low land forest. Following a wooded path north then southwest leads to a fishing village honored to be the birthplace of a skilled tayu of an emerging puppet theater genre emanating from Osaka. The trail leaves the village leading north across rich rice paddies irrigated by a stream that flows down a waterfall overlooking the same fishing village. Beyond this stream is the Daimyo's hirajiro, a castle built on a flat plain. The hirajiro is bisected by another stream, across which lies the Daimyo's honmaru, or keep. An island off the coast and somewhere to the south is home to a band of fierce Wako pirates.
History

According to the Bushido Shoshinshu (Code of the Samurai), a samurai must commit seppuku (ritual suicide) upon the death of his master. One who chose not to honor the code and consequently become a ronin, or 'wave man', would suffer great shame. Due to the shogunate's rigid class system and laws, the number of ronin greatly increased during the Edo period (1603-1867).

This period was characterized by strict social order, isolationist foreign policies, and popular enjoyment of arts and culture. Matsuo Basho (1644-1694) was the most famous poet of the period. He was recognized for his works in the collaborative haikai no renga form. Although justifiably famous for his haiku, Basho himself believed his best work lay in leading and participating in renku, collaborative linked verse poetry. He is quoted as saying, "Many of my followers can write haiku as well as I can. Where I show who I really am is in linking haikai verses."

Basho made a living as a teacher but, renouncing the urban life, wandered throughout Japan to gain inspiration for his writing. His poetry was influenced by his firsthand experiences of the world around him, encapsulating the feeling of a scene in a few simple elements.
Screenshots
A Ronin and his poet neighbor
The shrine they share
The fishing village
The walls of the hirajiro
The daimyo's honmaru and gardens
Writing poetry with Ren
Seppuku

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-04-2014 @ 10:29 PM).]

Replies:
posted 02-12-14 00:50 AM CT (US)     1 / 48  
I started this scenario yesterday and I am already nearly done. The map is finished and nearly all triggers are done (just under 300 triggers). Just need to work on the little things and lots of playtesting.

For anyone wondering about the haiku: yes, you will write haiku.

The story is also branching. Based on your decisions, your haiku (and your life story) will vary.
posted 02-12-14 08:08 PM CT (US)     2 / 48  
I've played it several times trying different iterations of the story and its checking out for bugs. I could actually release it today.

I've made so much progress so quickly on this that I still haven't written the introduction story for the instructions menu!
posted 02-12-14 09:07 PM CT (US)     3 / 48  
This may quite possibly be the fastest that I've ever seen a good scenario be developed! Screenies looking good, btw

~ Forgotten Empires ~

Storm on the Steppe | Galderton Hill RP | Proud member of Stormwind Studios

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
posted 02-12-14 09:21 PM CT (US)     4 / 48  
This may quite possibly be the fastest that I've ever seen a good scenario be developed! Screenies looking good, btw
Thank you. The base was closed due to the weather so I had the opportunity to sit and really crank this one out. It's the product of ~12 hours of furious work.

I took inspiration from the subject matter to make something more refined and concise than Children of a Dying Sun, which was all over the place thematically. Basically, I developed this scenario trying to keep in line with the very spirit of haiku.

I'm not sure how to characterize it, though. It's not an RPG. More like a literary adventure
posted 02-13-14 04:13 AM CT (US)     5 / 48  
Just Great! I always liked the culture of Japan...
posted 02-13-14 08:34 PM CT (US)     6 / 48  
Just Great! I always liked the culture of Japan...
I hope you find that this scenario is brimming with Japanese culture!

Haiku of the Ronin has been submitted to the Blacksmith!
posted 02-14-14 09:05 AM CT (US)     7 / 48  
That's incredibly fast, nice!

I have to admit that I haven't yet finished Children of a Dying Sun... :s
posted 02-14-14 10:35 AM CT (US)     8 / 48  
posted 02-14-14 10:59 AM CT (US)     9 / 48  
Thanks, Dead End!

John:
Try this one out. It's a lot shorter and a more streamlined experience, I feel.

This one is about an hour in length though I recommend a second playthrough with different choices.
posted 02-15-14 04:28 AM CT (US)     10 / 48  
SPOILER ALERT.

I landed on the island where the Christian monk is located. Your character is encouraged to visit the garden before he speaks to the monk. No trigger is activated after this. I'm stuck.
posted 02-15-14 05:38 AM CT (US)     11 / 48  
I played it and was able to finish it.

Spoiler Alert!
I really liked that you get to make decisions and there's a lot of poetry in it. I think I lost though as I was told to commit suicide.
posted 02-18-14 07:17 PM CT (US)     12 / 48  
Ourston:

I checked the triggers and they work as intended. The conversation with the priest triggers after you pick the flowers from the garden. Once you bring Soji to the flowers, the effect is activated and, after a 10 second timer condition, the sequence with the priest begins. You need to bring Soji to the garden.

Jan:

That is just one ending. Soji can also live a long life serving the Daimyo.

Thank you for playing.

[This message has been edited by Al_Kharn the Great (edited 03-01-2014 @ 07:47 PM).]

posted 02-23-14 05:49 PM CT (US)     13 / 48  
This campaign hasn't gotten the attention of Children of a Dying Sun for some reason. Only 18 subscribers on Steam to CoaDS's 360. Hmm...
posted 02-23-14 05:57 PM CT (US)     14 / 48  
  • There arent as many Aok players at it had a few years ago.
  • The people are just paying attention in big, and long projects...

The Fall of Hummaria -- Teaser [4.2] -- Project's Thread
    Cavern Pirates -- The Treasure Hunt [4.6] -- Captain's Revenge
    My Blacksmith
  • posted 02-25-14 05:53 PM CT (US)     15 / 48  
    This project took less than a month to make. It just didn't have enough time to gain exposure in the community.

~`o´~|\  Join the fresh and exciting AI Ladder for its fourth season!
    ´ `  |_\
           |    Learn the joy of AI scripting in my guide: The World of AI Scripting
    ______|______
     \        /
       .....Hinga Dinga Durgen! - SpongeBob
      `-=<.__.>=-´
    posted 02-25-14 07:01 PM CT (US)     16 / 48  
    It seems that this is more art and less entertainment. Art tends to be of higher quality, but draws less crowds.
    posted 02-25-14 07:56 PM CT (US)     17 / 48  
    Art generally has more continuity though, and earns appreciation from true connoisseurs

Don't worry- it will get noticed on Steam soon enough, and will get more publicity here once a review comes around. I wish I had the time to write one myself at the moment.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

"Deyr fé, deyja frændr, deyr sjálfr it sama; ek veit einn at aldri deyr, dómr um dauðan hvern." - Hávamál 77.
    posted 02-26-14 04:40 PM CT (US)     18 / 48  
    Thanks for the kind words!
    posted 02-27-14 11:59 AM CT (US)     19 / 48  
    There arent as many Aok players at it had a few years ago.
    I disagree. Since the release of Aoe2 HD, the communities have grown. The problem is that HeavenGames didn't notice any significant increase in members. Voobly, GameRanger and Steam all have pretty big communities for Aoe2.
    posted 02-27-14 01:07 PM CT (US)     20 / 48  
    I've already linked to this site like 5 times on steam. If everyone here does it I'm sure we'll get more people.
    posted 02-27-14 01:16 PM CT (US)     21 / 48  
    Yeah pretty much any time I see anything that pertains to scenario design on Steam, I link here as well.

I'd say that AoKH's numbers have grown a decent amount over the past couple years- the thing about scenario design though is that it is more time-consuming/demanding than most MP players have, and the standard for design here has gone up vastly. There are many projects I have seen in the "Best of AoK" section from back in ~1999-2001 that wouldn't even earn a 3 by today's standards. That sort of thing can be daunting for some people.

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-27-14 03:31 PM CT (US)     22 / 48  
    ^ For example people like me.
    Haven't submitted a single thing yet. :/
    posted 02-27-14 06:15 PM CT (US)     23 / 48  
    You should get going, from what I've seen in the CSC you're pretty darn good!

~ Forgotten Empires ~

posted 02-28-14 05:23 AM CT (US)     24 / 48  
    If everyone here does it I'm sure we'll get more people.
    Speaking from experience at the Blacksmith, I can assure you that it's working. Several new faces in the last months.
    posted 03-01-14 05:49 PM CT (US)     25 / 48  
    I updated the scenario. No new content for those who have played it. I moved the sequence with Kiyoshi from the fishing village to the Daimyo's gardens to minimize walking distance.
    posted 03-02-14 07:19 PM CT (US)     26 / 48  
    --Updated--

The 02Mar2014 update includes a few lines of flavor dialogue and a scene between a disgruntled samurai and a merchant.

Nothing worth a replay if you've already played, though.
    posted 03-03-14 07:58 PM CT (US)     27 / 48  
    ---Update---

The 03Mar2014 update includes several new sequences telling Soji's backstory. This is the final update. It is now on the Blacksmith.

If you haven't played it yet, make sure you get the new and final version

Got the first review from Rewaider on an older version of the campaign. 3.6/5
    Playability: 3
    In my opinion, it's more a playable cinematic than a campaign. But still fun make choices and see what happen.

Balance: 3
    Medium balance, because it is not changelling nor too easy.

Creativity: 4
    There is something new here. Eye candy, good story, well made dialogs. But not new theme.

Map Design: 3
    It would be good for a map in 2000-2002. But now the designers improved a lot their map design, so it's more demanding.
    Obs - You could mix the forests, put more trees from "units/objects[gaia]" and use elevations; a very important detail to every scenario.

Story/Instructions: 5
    Well made dialogs, very detailed history and poetic. The only missing thing is sinalize where are you supposed to go.

Additional Comments:
    This campaign is good in almost all criteria. The bad part was just the scenario design and (I guess) you rushed yourself to release this campaign, missing some details.
    I'll be honest. It wasn't the review I was expecting :/
    posted 03-03-14 11:49 PM CT (US)     28 / 48  
    I have to admit I had some issues with the overall harshness of the review. I eventually approved the review under the notion that a file's author has the right to challenge a review if he deems it unfair.
    posted 03-04-14 07:42 AM CT (US)     29 / 48  
    No use for exaggerate reviews; they serve to improve the autor's design by looking to the worse campaign's criteria.
    And, be sincere; there's no challenge in the gameplay. And no elevations, not well made forests...
    (In my opnion) It would be unfair give you more than that, because there are awesome campaigns, almost perfect in all criteria wich gets not much more than I gave.
    @EDIT: About the update, I can increase the score a bit more.

My Blacksmith

[This message has been edited by Rewaider (edited 03-04-2014 @ 08:57 AM).]

posted 03-04-14 02:50 PM CT (US)     30 / 48  
    Well the criteria is a good thing when reviewing, considering it helps the desginer avoid the same problem's he had made earlier. However, I think more feedback should of been posted, you know so that the designer would get going furhter. I recommend you to learn reviewing from official reviewers such as panel, Mashek and Mayank Sharma.

[This message has been edited by Arnas (edited 03-04-2014 @ 02:50 PM).]

posted 03-04-14 03:59 PM CT (US)     31 / 48  
    Yes, I guess I was too harshly about the pontuation; I've rewritten my review, and now it's a bit more fair.
    obs - more feedbacks added (in each criteria)

My Blacksmith
    posted 03-04-14 08:58 PM CT (US)     32 / 48  
    I'm hesitant to post this because I don't want to be that guy that can't handle criticism (and I'm much happier with the current rating now) but since this was one of Rewaider's very first reviews, I want to point out a few things that may be useful to consider for future reviews.

The main issue I see that's a risk with reviewing is holding a scenario to a different standard than intended. This is why the Guidelines for Reviews includes corollaries with regards to Balance and Playability, the two areas I scored 3's. You can read these corollaries in the Reviews Guidelines sections on Scenarios without Fighting and Rating Cut-scene Style Scenarios.

From Rewaider's updated review:
    In my opinion, it's more a playable cinematic than a campaign. But still fun make choices and see what happen. I understand this campaign is not focused to gameplay, but, adding a bit action would not disrupt it.
    Rewaider recognizes it is more a playable cinematic but appears to hold it to the standard of more traditional campaigns (ie- his use of 'But still...'). Given the nature of the campaign (which I described as a 'poetic adventure'), more action was not my goal. However, this style of scenario may not be some people's cup of tea so being de-merited on that can be reasonable but it is important to consider what kind/genre/type of scenario the author intended and judge it closer to that standard rather than say, a more action-oriented tons of units on the map scenario.

Again, the Balance was scored a 3:
    Medium balance, because it is not changelling nor too easy.
    Again, you could add some more action to this campaign; any little battle would already help.
    The criticism is it is medium balanced (which I would have interpreted as a good thing), although I wonder if Rewaider's poetry scored well at the end. It's not obvious to the player but your haiku is graded, which becomes apparent if you play multiple times and both screw up and do well on the poetry sections. Here's two different outcomes:

SPOILER WARNING

5+ poems right (+ dissuading Ren, killing the priest)

less than 5 poems right

Your astuteness with poetry (or perception of the events around each kireji) determines if Soji's poetry is whispered by even the koi or if it would be completely forgotten. Likewise, if you chose to help Ren with his poetry, you will be rewarded by being compared to great Japanese poets or Ren will grudgingly accept your mediocre suggestions (and state the criticism he has with them).

SPOILER ENDED

Again, a lack of action in my 'poetic adventure' was a detriment :/ Again, I understand why but this scenario probably shouldn't have been approached with an expectation of epic battles.

Finally with regard to map design, the suggestion was:
    You could mix the forests, put more trees from "units/objects[gaia]" and use elevations; a very important detail to every scenario.
    With regards to mixing forests, I specifically mixed pine into the oak forests along the trails everywhere where the player would have vision. I suspect Rewaider looked at the entire map, including the giant patches of oak forest beyond the player's vision.

From the Review Guidelines:
    Some tips for rating this category is that you rate what you see during game play, which means no Marco and Polo. The map size and how much of the map was used should not affect the rating.
    Lack of gaia objects seems strange given that I am pretty sure I use gaia objects more than most designers. For example, this screenshot depicts the opening scene. Scan it closely and you will see a ton of gaia objects:

You can see a mix of individual oaks, pine, and bamboo, including the individual trees on the object list (like the one with orange leaves). A jungle fern near the house, stumps, grey and brown rocks, stone mines, forage bushes, lumber, flowers, flower beds, grass, sea rocks, little plants, etc. Even the terrain is varied with different types of grass, dirt, and leaves.

I don't see how a lack of gaia objects could possibly be a criticism.

Likewise with elevation, I wanted a flat region (I even described it as 'a region of lowland forests' in the Scouting and the Daimyo's castle as a hirajiro, a specific type of castle built on flat ground) so it wasn't a lack of map design ability. The story takes place in a coastal region.

In general, I think map design is a holistic judgment (does it look good and believable?) versus going down a checklist (elevations? check. Gaia rocks? check. etc.).

In summary, I certainly appreciate the review and I am much happier with the current score. Reviews are subjective but I do think they should be approached a bit more diligently keeping in line with the Review Guidelines and with a consideration of the type of scenario the author intended.

I am not asking for you to change your review again, Rewaider. But given your inexperience, I just want you to make some considerations for future reviews.

Phew.

Thank you for your time.
    posted 03-04-14 09:14 PM CT (US)     33 / 48  
    Are there instructions on how to install this scenario? As in, where to put the files? I'm not the most savvy person with modifying this game.
    posted 03-04-14 09:18 PM CT (US)     34 / 48  
    Out of curiosity, does anyone else hate the way elevations look in AoK? I know they can be made to look better with very careful placement but their general shape doesn't appeal to me. The grade is so smooth, the top is flat if you want more than a single tiny square elevated (or you make the hill higher and subsequently much wider), and the units look kind of silly walking on them. Might just be me though. I live in a really flat area.

Agree/Disagree?
    posted 03-04-14 09:20 PM CT (US)     35 / 48  
    I actually do agree with you, Kharn. I know that the map is based on squares, but perfectly squarular elevation just looks unappealing. I can deal with it, but it could be better.
    « Previous Page  1 2  Next Page »
    Age of Kings Heaven » Forums » Scenario Design and Discussion » Project: Haiku of the Ronin
    You must be logged in to post messages.
    Please login or register
    Hop to:    
    Age of Kings Heaven | HeavenGames